The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Newbie question about 5x5

So I was thinking of starting a 5x5 program, but I am not sure I completely understand such routines. It seems like some 5x5 routines have you gradually ramping the weight up between sets, specifically Billy Starr's, but others seem to have you doing each set with the same amount of weight. Like this one doesn't mention ramping : building-muscle101.com/5-x-5-weight-training-program.html but apparently it is still a 5x5 routine? From some comments I have seen, I was led to believe that all 5x5 routines had you gradually ramping the weights up?

To be honest, I am not a big fan of the ramping scheme, and I don't think I have the patience (or organization) to calculate the precise amount of weight I am using for each and every set and so forth. Does it make sense to just do one or two warmup sets and then 5 sets @ 85%, or is ramping a necessary component of all 5x5 routines?
    Last edited by OGROK; 07-15-2007 at 06:44 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It's really up to you how you wish to do it. I do 5x5 for lifts such as squat, bench, deadlift, dips, chins, and rows in my routine while keeping the weight the same throughout. I obviously warm up with lighter weights before my working sets though.

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    To be honest, I am not a big fan of the ramping scheme, and I don't think I have the patience (or organization) to calculate the precise amount of weight I am using for each and every set and so forth. Does it make sense to just do one or two warmup sets and then 5 sets @ 85%, or is ramping a necessary component of all 5x5 routines?
    Nothing is set in stone with weightlifting. However, I do believe that ramping the weights, when you're using 5x5, is a good idea.

So maybe you don't have the patience to do all the math yourself... That's what computers are for my friend!

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...ile%20Download
    Last edited by Chris686; 07-15-2007 at 09:17 PM.
    Forever Goal: Strength

Weightlifting sucks. I just like to lift heavy things.

5x5 with sets across is a tried and true method. In Practical Programming they didn't even mention ramping through 5 sets. Certainly you get a lot more tonnage doing sets across.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.