The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Need a kick down the right path.

Edit: I thought this would be the most appropriate spot for this post but not 100% sure.

Hello.

I have read almost every article link I could find on this forum and other websites. I have learned a lot about things I had no idea on before but I am still confused and could use some help if you are willing to give it.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything. I know every person is different so I am looking for a good place to start(an avg. best type thing) and then go on from there and adjust everything to what is perfect for me.

I am 20 years old, weight 168 pounds, 5.10 and a half feet tall and what I would call between a hard gain and avg. Iíve worked out for about a year in the past four, I am extremely committed this time. Previously I didnít know much of anything about nutrition and was always kind of confused in the gym about what exercises to do, in which order and when.

I am looking to bulk up and start working out slow and then build up once my body gets back into it. First step in my mind is a good seven day eating plan for on and off days. I will be working out every second day to start at 5:30-6 for 1-1.25 hours.

So 6 meals a day
    Big breakfast. Meals before the workout(protein/carbs/fats?)
    Meals after(same?)
    Should I have a pre-workout shake?
    Post?
    What would I put in the shake(Milk, Whey Protein, Dextrose & Maltodextrin, Anti-Oxidants?)
    During the workout should I just drink water?
    2 gallons of water a day right?
    I have read that its good to have a meal before I go to bed, but what would that consist of(slow acting carbs/fats or something?)
    Should I do this on off days also?
    What about creatine is it safe? I have read yes/ no and that it isnít tested properly yet(they donít know if it is horrible or very good for you?)
    So many things in which everyone has a different opinion very confused.

As for the actual workout plan I am lost. It seems everyone has a different one for many reasons, I am going for strength/muscle size to start.
    Once I get into it again should I pick it up from every second day?
    How long should the cardio warm up be?
    Can I do cardio on off days and still bulk? I want to stay in cardio shape.
    I was reading you should change your rests between sets often?
    Your reps/sets biweekly?
    Should I make more then one workout routine to switch between each week?

LOTS of questions sorry. Thanks for reading this I just need a kick down the right path and with all the misinformation out there it is hard to know which path is best for me.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe14; 07-14-2007 at 01:32 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe14 View Post
    Edit: I thought this would be the most appropriate spot for this post but not 100% sure.

Hello.

I have read almost every article link I could find on this forum and other websites. I have learned a lot about things I had no idea on before but I am still confused and could use some help if you are willing to give it.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on everything. I know every person is different so I am looking for a good place to start(an avg. best type thing) and then go on from there and adjust everything to what is perfect for me.

I am 20 years old, weight 168 pounds, 5.10 and a half feet tall and what I would call between a hard gain and avg. Iíve worked out for about a year in the past four, I am extremely committed this time. Previously I didnít know much of anything about nutrition and was always kind of confused in the gym about what exercises to do, in which order and when.

I am looking to bulk up and start working out slow and then build up once my body gets back into it. First step in my mind is a good seven day eating plan for on and off days. I will be working out every second day to start at 5:30-6 for 1-1.25 hours.
    So 6 meals a day
    Big breakfast. Meals before the workout(protein/carbs/fats?)
    Six is a good number. Some people like more, some like less. Start there and try to find out what works for you. Big breakfasts are always nice. You breakfast can contains fats or not - that's up to you.

Meals after(same?)
    Again - that's up to you. As long as you get a min of 1 g of protein per lbm and .5 g fat per lbm and 25 g of fiber each day - the rest is up to you.

Should I have a pre-workout shake?
    Post?
    You can have solid food pre and post work out too - really, again, it's up to you. Shakes are nice bc they are convenient, quick, and a good way to help you get your daily allowance of protein. But by no means do you "have to" have either of them.

What would I put in the shake(Milk, Whey Protein, Dextrose & Maltodextrin, Anti-Oxidants?)
    Thats sounds for post-workout. Not so much for pre-workout.

During the workout should I just drink water?
    Water, gatorade, water + dextrose, water + whey + dextose, these are all good choices...again it depends on you.

2 gallons of water a day right?
    1-2 gallons is fine.

I have read that its good to have a meal before I go to bed, but what would that consist of(slow acting carbs/fats or something?)
    Should I do this on off days also?
    Lots of people like to eat right before they go to bed when they are bulking. This meal usually consists of protein (not whey though), slow digesting carbs (like oatmeal) and maybe some fat since it slows adsorption.

This is all I have time for right now. Maybe someone else can pick up the rest/
    Last edited by BBB; 07-14-2007 at 04:17 PM.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

Oh sure I did...I didn't answer any of his questions about creatine or workout plans.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

What about creatine is it safe? I have read yes/ no and that it isnít tested properly yet(they donít know if it is horrible or very good for you?)
    So many things in which everyone has a different opinion very confused.
    Creatine is 100% safe. It's actually in your body right now, and is in meat. Meat isn't unsafe now is it?

Go ahead and take it, there are pretty much no side affects. You can take my word for this, I've actually done an entire research report on it .

Make sure you get Creatine Monohydrate if you decide to get some. Very cheap.

Here's all the diet advice you need to get started:

Meat, vegetables, and nuts/seeds at every meal.

Follow that 90% of the time and you're golden.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for all the info thus far guys.

Oh yeah, "and nuts/seeds at every meal" I am allergic to nuts

If someone could answer the few more questions about working out that would be great!