The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

is it true that you pass out excess protein in your urine?

that if you eat more protein than your body can take, you just pee it all away?
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    No strength within, no respect without.
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    yes...yes it is...

Wannabebig New Member
    that if you eat more protein than your body can take, you just pee it all away?
    Yes it is quite true. I have also heard that excess intake of proteins does no good for the body and is released out.
    Mannatech Ambrotose - Nutritional Supplement

So if you ate 10,000 calories of only protein a day you'd never gain weight because you peed most of it out?
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by ShockBoxer View Post
    So if you ate 10,000 calories of only protein a day you'd never gain weight because you peed most of it out?
    Access calories get stored as energy or are used for bodily repair and function. Possibly some get pee'd out because 10,000 calories of protein... I don't know how a body can process all of that lol.

Not to mention you will die without carbohydrates. You need two things to live. Sugar and oxygen .
    Last edited by markdk86; 07-11-2007 at 07:55 AM.

You will not die without carbs.

No you will not piss it out. Your body with convert it into an energy source and burn it, or convert it to fat and store it.
    Nick V

Shhhh... I want to hear the reason that people believe that the body reaches a certain point and says 'no more protein. I'm done digesting it. It's just going straight to waste without being processed'. Don't rerail it with facts, Unreal.
    Last edited by ShockBoxer; 07-11-2007 at 09:22 AM.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    You need two things to live. Sugar and oxygen .
    what about water?
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government. - Edward Abbey

There is a wide difference between speaking to deceive, and being silent to be impenetrable. - Voltaire

If it can be imagined, it can be done. - Me

6'2"
    273 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWebb78 View Post
    what about water?
    Overrated.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

what about water?
    Not water, but beeeeeeer.

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

No you will not piss it out. Your body with convert it into an energy source and burn it, or convert it to fat and store it.
    If you enjoy being a blob. Go ahead.

what about water?

I was speaking more of just brain activity, veggie in a bed type of life. But erm, yes, water.

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

you will be very close....trust me....from experience....my body shut down on me and I was admitted to the ER from lack of carbs = lack of mental function, organ malfunction, low blood sugar, etc........maybe just me...

AND, excess protein = fat gain - no ? about that.......cals in vs out.......piss it away my ass...

Banned
    Title changed to be something meaningful.

Lets keep the responses on point and worthwhile, people. If you don't have something useful to contribute, don't post.

For those that are confused about carb-free diets, you may want to read up on ketogenesis. Maybe also check out that Lyle MacDonald guy. He knows a thing or two about what happens when you don't eat carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyk View Post
    you will be very close....trust me....from experience....my body shut down on me and I was admitted to the ER from lack of carbs = lack of mental function, organ malfunction, low blood sugar, etc........maybe just me...

AND, excess protein = fat gain - no ? about that.......cals in vs out.......piss it away my ass...
    Can we blame the low carbs or can we blame your anorexia and drug addiction for that????

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    I have a problem with some of the above.

I have to believe that there is an oversaturation point where you could eat 20,000k and well, couldn't do jack with the excess above what can be stored.
    I'm far from a diet guru and have never eaten to the point of such excess so I don't know... but if your body can't get to it all to digest it's gotta go somewhere...

I'd imagine an episode much like when I eat 50 "super insane" wings occurs where there is a rapid and violent evacuation of the bowels.

Otherwise that japanese guy that eats all the hotdogs would be a million pounds and/or dead.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

What if you're hitting your daily calorie amount but a large portion is protein? Say you get 0.5g fat/lb of LBM and about 100g of carbs (mostly after workout) but the rest is protein. If you're eating for a 500 calorie excess, are you saying that you'll get rid of the excess protein and you'll actually only be getting way less calories and actually lose weight? I'm having a hard time understanding.
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

protein does have a higher TEF. Ive seen Lyle explain the mumbo jumbo before.

But by consuming too much protein, it just becomes an "expensive form of glucose"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreyk View Post

Your wrong. Carbs are not essential at all. You may feel tired, and go through a period while entering ketosis where you feel like crap, but once your body is running of ketones, you will live just fine. I went almost a year with maybe 20g of carbs a day max.

Fat gain if your over maintence, otherwise like I said it will be converted to a form of energy and burnt (just like Mr D said, expensive form glucose).
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    To answer the original question:
    If you eat more protein than your body can take, do you just pee it all away?

Your body does not have the ability to store [excess]* protein! To compensate for this, excess protein is either utilized as energy or is stored in the body in a different form. It's not as though you can eat all the protein you want without any undesirable effect.

Nitrogen from the excess amino acids, however, is used to create urea, which is peed away (while potentially putting a strain on the kidneys).

Hope this helps!

*edit
    Last edited by DannyJAllTheWay; 07-15-2007 at 07:36 PM.

The body does have the ability to store protein. Forgot about muscles?

Proteins are too big to be passed in the urine in any significant amount, unless you have damaged kidneys.

That isn't storing protein. That is using it for synthesis of new tissue. It isn't like carbs that can be stored as glycogen or fat which gets stored as fat for use later.
    Nick V