The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Banned

WBB Nitrean Recipe Contest

Most of you know Nitrean. And if you know Nitrean, you love Nitrean. It mixes well, it tastes good and it's made with high quality ingredients that help you get the results you want with your body.

But what about moving beyond water/milk + nitrean + shaker cup? What about an actual recipe for some kind of non-shake food using Nitrean to add protein and flavour?

If you've ever thought about this, now's your excuse to start experimenting in the kitchen.

Details:

Contest Deadline: August 31st

Prizes:
    In addition to ALN kindly putting up some product, this contest is also co-sponsored by the Muscle Menus eBook (http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/bodybuil...moothies.aspx), which has nearly 50 recipes for making your own bars, shakes and smoothies. Naturally we think Nitrean is the best tasting protein ever but even the best taste can get repetitive after a while. There are some great recipes in here to "shake up" your diet.

1st Prize:
    2 x AtLarge Nutrition shake products (choose 2 from among Nitrean, Opticen, or Maximus)
    1 x You don't know SQUAT t-shirt
    1 x Recipes and bars ebook

2nd Place
    1 x You don't know SQUAT t-shirt

3rd Place

How To Enter:
    Post in this thread with a detailed recipe and a picture of you with your jug of Nitrean, eating your creation (we want to make sure it's edible before we let the judges try it). If you're feeling particularly creative, why not give us a photo journal of your cooking efforts?

The Rules
    1. Open to members of WBB. One entry per member. You may change your entry if you come up with a better (and tastier) idea after submitting your first one.
    2. Serious entries only, please.
    3. Your recipe should be your own unique creation (or a unique adaptation of someone else's work). If you modify someone else's recipe, give them credit in your post (it's like citing your work in an essay, only with like, FOOD!)!
    4. The recipe must include Nitrean as an ingredient (well, duh!).

Judging
    The recipes will be judged on 3 criteria:
    (1) Nutritional Value: How does this recipe stack up in terms of good macros, quality ingredients, etc. Rated on a scale of 1-10.

(2) Creativity: Anyone can put Nitrean in a blender with milk and ice cream. Bleah. Boring! How can you get some Nitrean in a new and exciting way that doesn't necessarily mean it's drinkable with a straw? Rated on a scale of 1-10.

(3) Taste: Our judges are going to prepare your recipe and try it out, and will be posting results of the recipes they try. Rated on a scale of 1-10.

Judges to be announced soon!
    Last edited by Relentless; 07-17-2007 at 05:59 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Chubrock's Protein Balls

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you like my balls.

Supplies:

1/2 17oz Jar Natural Peanut Butter
    1/2 17oz Jar JIF Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
    1 1/4 cup of 1% Milk
    9 Scoops of Chocolate Nitrean
    1 T butter
    2 T Cocoa
    1 2/3 cup Splenda
    1 cup Oats
    1 T Honey

Directions:

Heat both Natural and Reduced Fat PB in pot on stove until consistency of honey. Make sure you stir so as not to burn. Gradually add 4 scoops of Nitrean and 1/4 cup of milk into PB. In a separate bowl mix the remaining 5 scoops of Nitrean and 3/4 cup of milk together. Pour into PB and continue stirring. In another pot, put 1 T of butter and begin heating. As butter melts, add 2 T of Cocoa and 1/4 cup of milk. Continue stirring. While stirring, add in 1/3 cup increments, all 1 2/3 cup of Splenda. When completely mixed, pour into PB/Nitrean Combo and add 1 cup of Oats and 1 T of Honey. Stir together and let sit for just a minute or two. It should already begin sticking together fairly well. From here take a 1 T measuring spoon and scoop out individual clumps. Form into balls with hands and lay on wax paper. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then put into Rubbermaid container. Toss into fridge for easy storage.

Comments:

1. Total supplies should make roughly 43T (43 balls).

2. Entire batch has following stats:

Calories- 4068
    Fat- 225g
    Carbs- 240g
    Sugar- 68g
    Protein- 350g

3. Individual balls have the following stats:

Calories- 95
    Fat- 5g
    Carbs- 6g
    Sugar- 1.5g
    Protein- 8g

I've tried a couple of different recipes with this and so far this is the best I've come up with. They taste great (to me) and have a pretty firm consistency. They also aren't too chewy. They do get somewhat gummy so I recommend keeping them on wax paper in the fridge. Don't put them in the freezer. They'll stick to the wax paper. Overall I like this batch more than any other. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Chubrock; 07-17-2007 at 06:37 PM.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

That'll probably be my entry. I'll have to make some more as I haven't made any in quite awhile.

Now you just have to post your picture!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

For sure. I'll also go back and make the directions a bit more straight forward.

Banned
    Excellent submission, Chubrock! I'm impressed!

recommendations:
    1) For anything where it's a "jar" or "container" or whatever, specify the SIZE of said container, ideally in ounces or grams.
    2) Keep the instructions simple and sequential. break it into sections/paragraphs based on logical components.
    3) Adding the nutritional info is a good idea; I'll make that a requirement.
    Last edited by Relentless; 07-17-2007 at 12:34 PM.

Good points on the whole jar thing.

Wow. Sounds really good Chubs. Once you get the size of the jars post it up. I may try some of Chub's Balls.

Oh and nutritional info should definitely play a key role.

Good contest!
    Last edited by ericg; 07-17-2007 at 02:42 PM.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Haha I'll get the exact size when I can. They're just your normal size jars of PB. No Value Size or anything.

I'll have to warn ya'll. My balls get a bit sticky. I recommend putting them on wax paper as they get a bit gummy.

Alright I just checked it out and the PB jars are 17oz.

I'll post a picture later....

Just a simple shake recipe

Nitrean Berry Blast

3 Scoops Nitrean (strawberry or vanilla)
    1 cup low-fat yogurt
    0.5 cup blueberries
    0.75 cup strawberries
    0.5 cup pineapple juice
    0.5 cup of ice

blend everything in a blender. Drink all at once or split it up (usually makes me 2 shakes)

Breakdown:
    642 calories
    8g fat
    62g carbohydrate (5g fiber)
    87g protein

If split in 2:

321 calories
    4g fat
    31g carbs
    43.5g protein
    Last edited by KingWilder; 07-17-2007 at 10:03 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Banned
    remember, the picture should include you consuming the recipe AND feature a jug of nitrean somewhere in the pic

to me, the ideal pic is the "post cooking" pic, with you in the kitchen amongst the debris of your efforts

mind you, if Stash contributes a recipe, I expect his pic will be "food pr0n".

Flax/Fiber Protein bars.

Batch 2, added walnuts and banana.

Recipe
    1 cup whole wheat flout
    3/4 cup flax meal (ground flax seed)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tbs wheat dextrin (optional, just adds fiber)
    1 cup splenda
    2 large eggs (I used organic omega 3 eggs)
    1/2 cup natural apple sauce (no sugar added stuff)
    1 tps vanilla extract
    1 tps baking powder
    3/4 cup skim milk
    3.5 scoops nitrean
    1 ripe banana mashed up
    1/4 cup walnuts (optional to top)
    2 tbps oil (canola or whatever you want to use)

Preheat oven to 350

Combine wet ingredients, milk, eggs, oil, vanilla. Mash up banana and combine with the liquid. Make sure eggs are beaten well.

Combine dry ingredients. Mix well. Add the wet to the dry and stir till well incorporated.

Lightly grease/oil a glass baking dish. I used a 11x14 and a 9x9 depending on size of bars wanted. 9x9 gives thicker bars. Add mixture to baking dish and even out. If you want nuts or a topping add the topping.

Bake 15-20 minutes depending on baking dish. Due to the low fat content it is easy to overbake. If anything error on the underdone side for the first time.

I split it in 9 servings.

Macros
    Cals 232
    Protein 15.9g
    Carbs 21.2g
    Fat 7.1g
    Fiber 7.4g
    Last edited by Unreal; 08-25-2007 at 10:48 AM.
    Nick V

Banned
    Looks good Unreal! I expect something great from you

ALN, this is a great contest. I like the idea and I'll be submitting something soon!

EDIT: This is open to Canucks, right?
    Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 07-18-2007 at 08:09 PM.

I've already ate 3/4 of the batch. Sucks to do this and be cutting. The girl friend is a picky eater even at 2 of them and really likes them. Just need to do something to add some moisture. Either more egg, more applesauce, or bake for a little less. Going to add some walnuts and maybe a banana to the mix. Should be wonderful.
    Nick V

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    EDIT: This is open to Canucks, right?
    Of course.

I wouldn't support a contest that didn't include my Canadian brethren (and sistren).

I'll probably come up with a few different things, but for my protein/flax bars, how would people like to see the macros. More fat? More carbs? Once I get the mix correct I'll add some walnuts or some sort of chopped nuts to up the flavor and fat content. Just didn't want to waste them on test batches.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    I'll probably come up with a few different things, but for my protein/flax bars, how would people like to see the macros. More fat? More carbs? Once I get the mix correct I'll add some walnuts or some sort of chopped nuts to up the flavor and fat content. Just didn't want to waste them on test batches.
    I would like to see a bit more protein and fat, less carbs. I am diabetic so I like to watch those as much as possible. I am anxious to see the ingredients so it sheds some light on what sources the carbs are from.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Ingredients off top of my head

Nitrean
    Omega 3 eggs
    Milk
    Flax Meal (just ground flax seed)
    Stone Ground Whole wheat flour (main source of carbs)
    Natural Apple Sauce (only about 50 cals worth, for texture/moisture)
    Splenda
    Salt
    Baking powder
    Vanilla

Made up a second batch, added 1/4 cup of walnuts, and a mashed up banana. Added alittle more nitrean. Ill try to keep adding more and more nitrean per batch to see where it messes up the texture. That is the easiest and best way to add more protein. The nuts are an easy source of fat that can be optional. As for removing carbs, the main source of carbs is the whole wheat flour. I can only think of one thing that could maybe change that up. Maybe lower the flour and add some oat bran or more flax meal to take the place of the flour.

Second batch is at home cooling. Will sample as a PWO snack. Had 3 bars for lunch, and 2 for breakfast. The first batch is totally gone. So far even the original batch is pretty damn good.
    Nick V

I will definently try this Unreal.I can taste it through the screen hehe
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

It is pretty good. It is strawberry just from the nitrean. All I have is chocolate or strawberry so that is what I'm using. Some pureed frozen strawberrys mixed in would work great too.
    Nick V

Banned
    Unreal, can you consolidate your recipe/info to a single post and then just keep editing that post as you update?

If an entry is spread across 15 posts on 2 pages of the thread, odds are I'll lose patience and not include it for judging.

NOTE: Not to drive too fine a point, but anyone else who submits a recipe, please try to be organized like Chubrock. He has his balls very well organized.
    Last edited by Relentless; 07-19-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentless View Post
    NOTE: Not to drive too fine a point, but anyone else who submits a recipe, please try to be organized like Chubrock. He has his balls very well organized.

You have no clue how often I hear that...

I might have to put my protein bars on here with a few modifications. Gonna be a few days though-great idea for a contest.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Will do. Was going to put the actual stuff in the first post once I finalize it. Also going to work on a carrot cake, and some others. I'll probably land up with 3-4 recipes. From now on I'll give each its own post with pictures and everything.
    Nick V