The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I think it'd be a good idea to extend the deadline a while unless we get some last minute entries.
    Height: 5-9
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...Owner=ray34iyf
    Max Lifts:
    Don't know anymore..don't care atm.

id love to try this but ive never baked before just a cook.
    2000 or bust

If you can follow directions, it's easy as can be. Seriously, it'll take you like 2 hours to whip something up.
    Weight:~160 @ 13-15 bf%?....starting figure after nearly a year of battling CFS/mono...so not too bad imo.

Max Lifts:

So, WHO WON?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    We'll proceed with the entries we have so far.

I am working on getting judges to test the recipes.

Stay tuned.

Banned
    All righty -- I am making a shopping trip to buy ingredients for test runs on all the recipes, either tomorrow or on the weekend.

Stay tuned!!

I understand that voting is undertaken by a selected group and that there's no real public sway. However, and I say this with full sincerity, Chubrock's balls are, well, divine.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    I understand that voting is undertaken by a selected group and that there's no real public sway. However, and I say this with full sincerity, Chubrock's balls are, well, divine.
    Much appreciated Organichu. Glad you liked them.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    Made the shopping trip today.

Look for recipe prep notes this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome. Looking forward to feedback on these!

Max Lifts:

So anybody else tried Chub's Protein Balls yet?

How'd the cooking go?

Banned
    I have made all of the recipes except for the frozen drumstick cake.

Once I get that made and tested there will be a big report and prizes awarded. It'll probably go in the newsletter as well.

Sounds good man.

i gotta make some of those, look damn good.

Alright now Relentless...

Banned
    Update: Was buried with filmmaking work over the last few days.
    I have prepared all the recipes and I am currently writing up the summary/report and consulting with Daniel about the prize awards.

More news soon.

R.

I have seen the summary/report and you guys are gonna love it...

So much so, I am gonna up the prizes a little
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Haha very nice. Hopefully my entry was worthy enough for a prize.

Sweet. I've been looking forward to this for a while.

Max Lifts:

Banned
    Nitrean Recipe Contest

Thanks to all who entered, and thank you for your patience in the slightly extended judging period.

I have slightly expanded the judging criteria in order to present a more complete picture of each recipe. The recipes were judged as follows:
    1) Nutritional Value: Does this recipe contain a decent macro breakdown for the typical WBB member, who is a strength or fitness athlete of some sort? Does it use quality ingredients? Scored out of 30.
    2) Creativity: Is this recipe unique and interesting? Scored out of 20.
    3) Taste: This one is pretty subjective, but hey – that’s life. It’s also pretty important. Scored out of 30.
    4) Ease of Preparation: How easy/hard was this to make and were there any dangers/pitfalls. Scored out of 10.
    5) Quality of instruction: How easy was it for me to follow the recipe? How well did you document your creation? Did you include pictures, as instructed? Scored out of 10.

These 5 factors will combine to give an aggregate score out of 100, which is used to determine the ranking of the recipes.

1) KingWilder’s Nitrean Berry Blast
    TOTAL SCORE: 74

Nutritional Value: 24
    Creativity: 8
    Taste: 24
    Ease of Preparation: 10
    Quality of Instruction: 8

The recipe as presented by KingWilder:

--------------------------------
    Nitrean Berry Blast

3 Scoops Nitrean (strawberry or vanilla)
    1 cup low-fat yogurt
    0.5 cup blueberries
    0.75 cup strawberries
    0.5 cup pineapple juice
    0.5 cup of ice

blend everything in a blender. Drink all at once or split it up (usually makes me 2 shakes)

Breakdown:
    642 calories
    8g fat
    62g carbohydrate (5g fiber)
    87g protein

Notes: This was the first recipe I tried and I made it just before going out and playing football. The nutritional values are generally pretty good, with the recipe heavily skewed towards protein (52%). That said, there are a lot of carbs, so if you’re cutting, this probably isn’t the best choice. There were also minor errors in the values presented for the macros… assuming the P/C/F numbers are accurate, there are 668 calories in this shake, not 642. Ultimately, this wasn’t a terribly creative entry, as it was a shake. The taste was pretty good – the sharp acidity of the pineapple contrasted nicely with the yogurt/nitrean. The texture of the shake was very thick, which is either good or bad depending on your preferences. I found the lowfat yogurt (which is artificially sweetened) gave it a bit of an aftertaste. It was dead easy to make, though. The recipe was also simple and easy to follow, although Kingwilder failed to post a picture as part of his entry.

2) Chubrock’s Nitrean Protein Balls
    TOTAL SCORE: 83

Nutritional Value: 25
    Creativity: 18
    Ease of Preparation: 8
    Quality of Instruction: 8

The recipe as presented by Chubrock:

Supplies:

1/2 17oz Jar Natural Peanut Butter
    1/2 17oz Jar JIF Reduced Fat Peanut Butter
    1 1/4 cup of 1% Milk
    9 Scoops of Chocolate Nitrean
    1 T butter
    2 T Cocoa
    1 2/3 cup Splenda
    1 cup Oats
    1 T Honey

Directions:
    Heat both Natural and Reduced Fat PB in pot on stove until consistency of honey. Make sure you stir so as not to burn. Gradually add 4 scoops of Nitrean and 1/4 cup of milk into PB. In a separate bowl mix the remaining 5 scoops of Nitrean and 3/4 cup of milk together. Pour into PB and continue stirring. In another pot, put 1 T of butter and begin heating. As butter melts, add 2 T of Cocoa and 1/4 cup of milk. Continue stirring. While stirring, add in 1/3 cup increments, all 1 2/3 cup of Splenda. When completely mixed, pour into PB/Nitrean Combo and add 1 cup of Oats and 1 T of Honey. Stir together and let sit for just a minute or two. It should already begin sticking together fairly well. From here take a 1 T measuring spoon and scoop out individual clumps. Form into balls with hands and lay on wax paper. Let sit for 5-10 minutes and then put into Rubbermaid container. Toss into fridge for easy storage.

Comments:

1. Total supplies should make roughly 43T (43 balls).
    2. Entire batch has following stats:

Calories- 4068
    Fat- 225g
    Carbs- 240g
    Sugar- 68g
    Protein- 350g

3. Individual balls have the following stats:

Calories- 95
    Fat- 5g
    Carbs- 6g
    Sugar- 1.5g
    Protein- 8g

Notes:
    The nutritional values are generally pretty good, skewed somewhat towards Fat. There aren’t too many carbs, which is nice. There were again minor errors in the values presented for the macros… assuming the P/C/F numbers are accurate, there are 4385 calories in this recipe, not 4068. I thought this was a very creative entry. These smelled AMAZING when I was cooking the ingredients on the stove. The taste was pretty good – about what you’d expect from peanut butter, Nitrean, and oats. They smelled somewhat better than they tasted, though. Which isn’t to say they didn’t taste good – just that the smell promised more flavour than was actually there. There is a minor danger with these balls though… I don’t know if it’s the peanut butter, the oats, or something else but once they’ve had a day or two to sit in the fridge, you can’t eat them without a glass of milk or water – they will stick to your throat! The recipe was relatively simple and easy to follow, although I very nearly scorched the peanut butter and Chubrock failed to post a picture as part of his entry.

3) VikingWarlord’s Whole Wheat Nitrean Pancakes

TOTAL SCORE: 82

Creativity: 13
    Taste: 25
    Ease of Preparation: 10
    Quality of Instruction: 10

The recipe as presented by VikingWarlord:

Whole Wheat Protein Pancakes (1 serving)

1/4C Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Pancake mix
    1/2C Skim Milk
    1 Scoop Nitrean (any flavor works well)
    1tsp vegetable oil
    1 egg white

Mix it all up, pour on a griddle. Eat. More milk for a thinner batter, less milk for a thicker batter. How many it makes depends on how big you want to make them.

Macros:
    332 Cal
    44 g Protein
    6.5g Fat (2g Sat)
    33g Carbs (3 Fiber)

I eat half pre-workout and half post-workout on days I don't work.

I like this because it's just a base for whatever you want. Sometimes, if I'm breaking from a diet, I'll use chocolate Nitrean and throw in some dark chocolate pieces. Use Strawberry Nitrean and throw in some fresh strawberries or some smashed banana. It's very open to experimentation.

Notes: The nutritional values are generally pretty good, with the recipe skewed towards protein (48%). That said, there are a fair number of carbs, so if you’re cutting, this probably isn’t the best choice. There were also minor errors in the values presented for the macros… assuming the P/C/F numbers are accurate, there are 366.5 calories in this pancake, not 332. I thought that this was more creative than a shake but the use of the premade pancake mix mitigated that somewhat. I guess creativity and ease of prep will always be at odds. The taste was damn good. “Mrs. Relentless” liked these a lot as well. Per the attached pictures, our little 8 month old also tried to get at them, they smelled so darn good! I ate these plain. I ate them with butter. I even tried them with maple syrup and found that I liked them better just with butter. These pancakes were dead easy to make. The recipe was also simple and easy to follow, and VikingWarlord posted a great picture as part of his entry.

4) Unreal’s Flax/Fiber Protein bars

TOTAL SCORE: 85

Nutritional Value: 26
    Creativity: 16
    Taste: 25
    Quality of Instruction: 10

The recipe as presented by Unreal:

Recipe
    1 cup whole wheat flout
    3/4 cup flax meal (ground flax seed)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 tbs wheat dextrin (optional, just adds fiber)
    1 cup splenda
    2 large eggs (I used organic omega 3 eggs)
    1/2 cup natural apple sauce (no sugar added stuff)
    1 tps vanilla extract
    1 tps baking powder
    3/4 cup skim milk
    3.5 scoops nitrean
    1 ripe banana mashed up
    1/4 cup walnuts (optional to top)
    2 tbps oil (canola or whatever you want to use)

Preheat oven to 350

Combine wet ingredients, milk, eggs, oil, vanilla. Mash up banana and combine with the liquid. Make sure eggs are beaten well.

Combine dry ingredients. Mix well. Add the wet to the dry and stir till well incorporated.

Lightly grease/oil a glass baking dish. I used a 11x14 and a 9x9 depending on size of bars wanted. 9x9 gives thicker bars. Add mixture to baking dish and even out. If you want nuts or a topping add the topping.

Bake 15-20 minutes depending on baking dish. Due to the low fat content it is easy to overbake. If anything error on the underdone side for the first time.

I split it in 9 servings.

Macros
    Cals 232
    Protein 15.9g
    Carbs 21.2g
    Fat 7.1g
    Fiber 7.4g

Notes: The nutritional values are generally pretty good, and it’s balanced in P/C/F. In fact, it seems to be targeted at a Zone Diet, 30/40/30 P/C/F. That said, there are a fair number of carbs, so if you’re cutting, this probably isn’t the best choice but if you’re on the Zone, this is a good choice, I guess. The quality of the ingredients was very good. There were also minor errors in the values presented for the macros… assuming the P/C/F numbers are accurate, there are 212 calories per serving, not 232. I thought that this was pretty creative. The taste was quite good, and both Mrs Relentless and I enjoyed the bars. The recipe was pretty easy to follow and I encountered no major pitfalls. Unreal documented his recipe extremely well with pictures.

5) RedSpikeyThing’s Frozen Drumstick Cake
    TOTAL SCORE: 81

Creativity: 16
    Quality of Instruction: 9

The recipe as presented by RedSpikeyThing:

Base
    4 scoops At Large Nutrition's Vanilla Nitrean (chocolate would probably be good too)
    24 Mr. Christie Nilla Wafers
    1/2 cup chopped peanuts
    1/4 cup Becel light Margarine
    2 tbsp smooth peanut butter

Melt margarine and peanut butter. Mix all ingredients together, keeping some of the mixture to sprinkle for topping. Press mixture into 9"x13" pan.

Filling
    2 scoops At Large Nutrition's Vanilla Nitrean
    1 cup non-fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup Splenda
    4 eggs
    3 cups Cool Whip Light

Combine Nitrean, cottage cheese, Splenda and eggs in blender. Fold in Cool Whip and spread over base. Sprinkle crumb mixture on top.

Freeze overnight.

Nutritional Information
    Whole Cake
    Calories: 2859
    Fat: 144 g
    Carbs: 179 g
    Protein: 229 g

Per slice (1/10 of cake)
    Calories: 285.9
    Fat: 14.4 g
    Carbs: 17.9 g
    Protein: 22.9 g

Notes
    It's pretty high in calories, but it's a damn good desert. There are a couple things you can do to add some more protein to it:
    - Replace a cup of Cool Whip with a cup of cottage cheese
    - Replace 8 Nilla Wafers with 1 scoop Nitrean.

Notes: The nutritional values are not too bad for a dessert, with the recipe skewed towards fat (44%). That said, there are a fair number of carbs, so if you’re cutting, this really isn’t the best choice. Keep in mind also, that 24 cookies are part of the recipe. There were also minor errors (this seems to be an ongoing thing) in the values presented for the macros… assuming the P/C/F numbers are accurate, there are 2928 calories in this cake, not 2859. I thought it was pretty creative. The taste was alright and it DID taste sorta like a drumstick. I found I could really taste the splenda and the Cool Whip light, however. This was not too hard to make, but the recipe should not call for a blender to be used. Instead, a food processor or hand mixer should be used – I have a decent blender and when I put the cochee and such in the blender, it liquefied a small portion on the bottom but didn’t mix up much else. Not too useful.

6) ray34iyf’s Nitrean/Banana Cheesecake

TOTAL SCORE: 83

Nutritional Value: 20
    Creativity: 18
    Taste: 28
    Quality of Instruction: 9

The recipe as presented by ray34iyf:

Nitrean/Banana Cheesecake

3 Large Ripe Bananas
    1 Cup Oats
    1/2 Cup Pecans
    3 scoops Nitrean
    1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Substitute(1/2 Splenda + ¼ cup maple syrup)
    1 Tablespoons Butter + 4 Tablespoons Peanut Butter, Melted
    24 Ounces Cream Cheese Substitute(1 Cup Cottage Cheese + 4 Tablespoons Butter)
    5 Large Eggs
    1 Tablespoon Dark Rum
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees and have a 10-inch springform pan ready. Put the unpeeled bananas on a baking sheet and roast in oven for about 15 minutes until black. Take out of oven and let cool.
    Peel and set aside.

Turn oven down to 325 degrees.
    Add Pecans to blender and give a few pulses. Now add Nitrean, Oats, and Brown Sugar Substitute. Chop the ingredients until they are a uniform texture. Put mixture into a large bowl. Carefully mix in the melted peanut butter and butter. Press wet mixture into an even layer in springform pan. Mix together the Cream Cheese Substitute in blender until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Add the roasted bananas, the vanilla, and rum. Mix until smooth.

Pour the filling into the springform pan over the crust you pressed in earlier. Smooth the top. Place pan on a baking sheet and put in the oven. Bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours. When done, the cheesecake will be a light golden brown on top and will pull slightly away from the sides of the pan.
    Cool cheesecake in pan at room temperature for about 15 minutes and then place in refrigerator.
    Cool overnight. Enjoy.

Whole Cake-
    CALS: 2705
    PROTEIN: 163g
    FAT: 164g
    CARBS: 127g

Small Slice-1/8th Cake-
    CALS: 338
    PROTEIN: 20g
    FAT: 20g
    CARBS: 16g

Notes: Wow. 56% calories from fat. Maybe the best use of this recipe isn’t for someone who’s trying to stay lean but rather as a way to sneak more protein into the diet of someone… There were also minor errors (this seems to be an ongoing thing) in the values presented for the macros… assuming the P/C/F numbers are accurate, there are 2636 calories in this cake, not 2705. I thought it was very creative. The taste was BLOODY FANTASTIC. This was the best tasting recipe of the bunch. I rather suspect that it’s because of all the lovely lovely FAT! I fed this to various people and they couldn’t tell it wasn’t a ‘real’ cheesecake – I may very well use the ‘cream cheese substitute’ trick elsewhere in my cooking. This was not too hard to make, but the recipe should not call for a blender to be used. Instead, a food processor or hand mixer should be used – I have a decent blender and as with the drumstick cake I made earlier, when I put the cochee and such in the blender, it liquefied a small portion on the bottom but didn’t mix up much else. Also; be aware of the size of the pan. I probably used a smaller pan and as a result my crust on the bottom was a little thicker than maybe it should have been. My fault not Ray’s – just something to watch for when you’re making this yourself. Ray34iyf had good pictures and generally a great recipe though!

=======================================

So, the final standings for the recipe contest are:
    1st place: Unreal’s Protein Bars
    Prize:
    2 x AtLarge Nutrition shake products (choose 2 from among Nitrean, Opticen,
    or Maximus)
    1 x You don't know SQUAT t-shirt
    1 x Recipes and bars ebook

2nd place: ray34iyf’s Cheesecake
    $30 ALN credit

3rd place: Chubrock’s Protein Balls
    $20 ALN credit

All 3 other participants will receive:

$10 ALN credit

Contact Daniel Clough (site owner) via PM for details on how to claim your prizes.

I would add that ALL of these recipes were worth making and trying and I enjoyed eating all of the food. There’s nothing here that won’t work or that will taste bad – there are only varying degrees of prep work and taste.

Thank you and congratulations to all entrants!

Relentless

Banned
    Congrats on the win Unreal! Why am I not surprised? You've got a couple cool recipes up in the Recipes forum.
    PS thanks for the shirt ALN!

Nice job guys, and thanks for the write up Relent. My balls didn't fair to bad considering I haven't tweaked the recipe any.

Unreal: Pm me your product choices, t-shirt size and full name and address and we'll get you handled.... Also pm me your email address and I will get you a copy of the ebook.

ray34iyf & Chubrock: check your pm for the discount code.

If you want the t-shirt now (without an order) pm me your full name and address and we'll get you handled. If you want to place an order, place one online, use the discount code and just make us aware in the comments field about the SQUAT t-shirt and your size.. Also pm me your email address and I will get you a copy of the ebook.

RedSpikeyThing, VikingWarlord & KingWilder: check your pm for the discount code.

If you want the t-shirt now (without an order) pm me your full name and address and we'll get you handled. If you want to place an order, place one online, use the discount code and just make us aware in the comments field about the SQUAT t-shirt and your size..

Cheers!

Daniel
    Last edited by Joe Black; 10-31-2007 at 05:01 PM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Unreal: Pm me your product choices, t-shirt size and full name and address and we'll get you handled.... Also pm me your email address and I will get you a copy of the ebook.

ray34iyf & Chubrock: check your pm for the discount code.

If you want the t-shirt now (without an order) pm me your full name and address and we'll get you handled. If you want to place an order, place one online, use the discount code and just make us aware in the comments field about the SQUAT t-shirt and your size.. Also pm me your email address and I will get you a copy of the ebook.

RedSpikeyThing, VikingWarlord & KingWilder: check your pm for the discount code.

If you want the t-shirt now (without an order) pm me your full name and address and we'll get you handled. If you want to place an order, place one online, use the discount code and just make us aware in the comments field about the SQUAT t-shirt and your size..

Cheers!

Daniel
    I didn't get a PM, but I'm planning to place an order in the next week or so.

This is really cool of you too, Daniel. Thanks!
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.