Thread: Introduction to Olympic-Style Weightlifting Edition 2

Introduction to Olympic-Style Weightlifting Edition 2

Anyone read this book? Thinking of buying it for added info on olympic lifts. Looks like it might be good.

Bespoke Super Mod
    I've not read the book.

Would you care to elaborate if you intend on using it as your sole reference for learning the olympic lifts, or if you just want to read it for the general knowledge?
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Looking for a good reference to olympic style lifting to elaborate more on the subject. More detailed intructions to the technique, routine organization, etc. Not just general knowledge, but i do olympic lifts style lately exclusively, and would want more information so i can progress to the snatch and clean and jerk.

Honestly, it would be alot more beneficial to you if you found someone who is experienced at the olympic lifts to give you some in-person instruction. Books are great and all, but they can't replace actual live coaching, especially for such technique dependent lifts.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I've heard the book and the video are pretty good. It's on a long list of books and videos I'd like to get but just haven't yet.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Bespoke Super Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    Honestly, it would be alot more beneficial to you if you found someone who is experienced at the olympic lifts to give you some in-person instruction. Books are great and all, but they can't replace actual live coaching, especially for such technique dependent lifts.
    Exactly the point I was trying to establish.

Please find someone that will assist you in learing the lifts.
    "A + B + C = Success if, A = Hard Work, B = Hard Play, C = Keeping your mouth shut" -Albert
    Einstein

I've always gone to the gym with the conviction that I'll be the hardest working mother****er in the joint. Make that your credo, and hope we don't lift at the same place.
    -- Adam Fahy

"Fran is a double-hard bastard"- Clint Brewer 31/12/02

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Exactly the point I was trying to establish.

Please find someone that will assist you in learing the lifts.
    I'm certainly not going to disagree with the intelligence of finding a good coach, but most people just aren't going to. There are plenty of mediocre and poor coaches that can teach you how to do a sloppy powerclean, but not many who really know the lifts themselves, let alone how to teach them.

Learning the OLs correctly is damn important, but I don't think that means people should be afraid to try them with light bumpers or an empty bar. The OLs are hard to master, but the basics are not that complicated.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/