Thread: grip training

grip training

I was wondering if I can train my grip in its own workout? What i mean is say I do a push/pull/legs, and workout monday, wed, fri. Could I train my grip on tuesday, or saturday, or should I do it with my normal workouts. The reason I am asking is because I know it is a good idea to keep workouts around an hour, and grip training would only prolong my workouts.

So would training grip on its own day be a better idea? What do you all do in terms of getting in grip work.

BTW, my grip is causing my deads and shrugs to suffer big time.

Thanks

Just do some grip work at the end of your shortest day....should be plenty. Something like static holds for a minute and 30 seconds to "failure", aka you drop it. I'd also use straps for the deads and shrugs, since you're training your grip specifically.

Or you could just train without straps when doing chins, shrugs, deads, etc etc. That would be enough for grip as long as you keep increasing the weight that you are lifting.

I absolutely need straps for bent over rows, theres no way I can hold 225 for more than 2 reps when I do them unless I have the straps on. Deads I don't need the straps for because I have an over and an under grip.

Just be happy you are doing 225 lb rows. I'm sit'n at 8 x 135 or so.

225 is pretty good right? I jumped 90 pounds in that after seeing ronnie coleman do 5 plates on each side. I figured if I can't do 2 plates I'm a pussy, good motivation to watch the pros do it.

Sounds good to me...

um....??? , ok ya anywho, do the grip at the end of your workout, there isnt enought there to make its own day, not worth it..

Do you want to have a strong grip or nice looking forearms?

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Who are you asking? The guy who started the thread said his grip was holding him back.

Do some heavy holds after back training. Also, use chalk if you can. If you still can't hold it, you could always resort to straps*shudders*, but they should be a last resort.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    You can increase your grip and have nice looking forearms; why can't you have both. Do farmers walks, or seated farmers with heavy weight along with other exercises that increase grip strength.

Then do reverse curls for forearms, forearm curls, and forearm lifts. This all should increase forearm and grip strength.

jus' my opinion...
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

www.brookskubik.com
    www.grippage.com

try using dumbells for your upper body and instead of dropping them when ur done lifting it, stand up and hold it for as long as u can or do a farmers walk while holding them. i got so many sick grip workouts if ya want one

I was wondering what is your guys opinion on maximum forearm development, should I do static holds with a barbell in the power rack or static holds with CoC #2?