Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Even the golfers are juicing

Even the golfers are juicing

Check this out for a great laugh.

Link
    CARNOUSTIE, Scotland -- Gary Player put steroids at the forefront of the British Open on Wednesday, saying golf has its head buried in a bunker if it thinks the sport is clean and he knows of one player using performance-enhancing drugs.

Do you believe anyone in the British Open field is using performance-enhancing drugs?
    Yes
    No

The nine-time major champion urged golf organizations to start random testing.

"It's absolutely essential that we do that," Player said at Carnoustie, where he won the British Open in 1968. "We're dreaming if we think it's not going to come into golf."

Player says it already has.

"Whether it's HGH, whether it's Creatine or whether it's steroids, I know for a fact that some golfers are doing it," he said.

Asked how he knew for certain, he said one golfer told him.

"I took an oath prior to him telling me -- I won't tell you where -- but he told me what he did, and I could see this massive change in him," Player said. "And somebody else told me something, that I also promised I wouldn't tell, that verified others had done it."

The cryptic accusation put the Royal & Ancient Golf Club on the defensive over why it does not have drug testing at the British Open, with chief executive Peter Dawson being asked whether he was concerned that its winner could be using steroids.

"I don't know if Gary Player is right about golfers being on drugs, frankly, so I really can't comment," Dawson said. "One thing I do know is that we're not drug testing here at the Open championship this week, so just how that would be identified, I'm not sure."

The R&A and the USGA used drug testing for the first time last November at the World Amateur Team Championship in South Africa, where all 12 samples came back negative.

The LPGA Tour has said it will start drug testing next year and recently disclosed a list of banned substances to its players. The European Tour and the PGA Tour are working on drug policies, which PGA Tour commissioner Tim Finchem said likely would lead to a testing program, although its first step is developing a list of drugs that would be banned.

Player did not say when this conversation with the purported steroid user took place, nor did he say whether he shared this information with tour officials.

"I can't speak to Gary's remarks," PGA Tour spokesman Ty Votaw said. "I can't disagree and I can't agree with him. They are his remarks that's he is free to make."

None of the top players concurred with Player.

"He knows two [players]? I know zero," six-time major winner Nick Faldo said. "Never heard of anybody."

Tiger Woods, who last year said he would like to see the PGA Tour begin drug testing as quickly as possible, was asked Tuesday if he would be surprised if a golfer tested positive for drug use.

"If anything, probably out here it would be testing positive for maybe being hung over a little bit," Woods said. "But that's about it. I know some guys have taken Medrol packs for inflammation in their wrists, but other than that, I really don't see anybody doing anything, or have heard anybody doing anything."

Phil Mickelson also said he thought golfers were clean.

"I don't think there's even a remote chance that will happen," he said of a golfer testing positive for steroids.

The R&A and USGA are the governing bodies for golf around the world, although both Dawson and USGA executive director David Fay have said that leaders of the professional tours should take the lead in developing a drug policy.

Player said he felt 50 to 60 percent of athletes in the world are using performance-enhancing drugs. When asked for a number of golfers, he estimated 10.

"I might be way out," Player said. "Definitely not going to be lower, but might be a hell of a lot more."
    what's next? figureskating, professional poker?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Poker players...I can't wait for that!

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

That's funny but I saw one guy playing and he could very well be. I thought the last name something with a Z may be a european player.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Poker players...I can't wait for that!
    you might catch ST on tv sometime
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold

I like how HGH, steroids and creatine are in the same grouping.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I predict by year 2015 that along with 75% of US population overweight, that steroids will be very very common.

Seems like people are using more than ever and word is getting around that its the "miracle" drug.
    Fighters are teh bomb -Getfit

Test is test is test is test. It'll all bloat you the same! -BCC

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Why are people surprised? I'm not to be honest.

Sports are getting more and more competative and our culture worships the best of the best. Mix that in with huge payouts and people will do anything to win.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

For the amount of money I pay to go watch professional sports the athletes sure as hell better be using!

how much strength is really required in golf though? lol i don't think using would really enhance your game that much. possibly more head speed on your swing, but my dad has crazy head speed on his swing, and he's weak as ****. I think what they should ban in golf is Lasik eye surgery. Guys with 20/20 vision are getting it enhanced so they can see the slopes in the greens clearer, its like going from fuzzy cable tv to HD LCD screen... that's a huge advantage right there... but steroids? i really dont think it could help you that much... and creatine, hahaha thats actually hilarious that it even gets mentioned with HGH and steroids. just shows how ignorant most people are about performance enhancement
    Under Construction...

Creatine, lol. I can see it now - FBI agents kicking down doors of creatine dealers everywhere!

But why the hell would a golfer take steroids? The amount of musculature that a golfer would require would be easy to obtain naturally.

lol exactly. you don't even need to be in shape to be a good golfer. I use my dad as an example because i golf with him alot, but he doesn't get out as much as he used to and he still shoots in the 70's consistently. He is by no means in good shape. golf is more about technique and just knowing how hard to swing. Maybe if guys start to weigh 250, drive 500 yards and snap clubs on their forehead when they make a bad shot then i will start to be suspicious but really if a golfer is using AAS i highly doubt it's to improve his golf game, its probably just to improve his body like most people who use steroids.
    Under Construction...

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    I don't see how sterioids can benefit in golf at all!!!

I play a decent amount of golf and when I was 17 I hit the ball the same distance as I do now and I'm 26 now and 4 stone heavier.

Athletics - testing is needed
    Golf - who cares!?!
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Creatine, lol. I can see it now - FBI agents kicking down doors of creatine dealers everywhere!

But why the hell would a golfer take steroids? The amount of musculature that a golfer would require would be easy to obtain naturally.
    If you compare two golfers being of equal skill, equal age, equal everything etc. If one of them is taking steroids that one will be better for sure. Steroids not only help out with muscle mass/strength etc. they all around enhance a persons performance. Now I don't know if it would be significant but every little bit helps when you're playing for thousands of dollars.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

I really don't think it would make a difference in your game. Strenght isn't important in golf. What would steroids specifically improve in a golfers skills? Icreased could actually hinder your game because you will actualy swing the club to hard and sacrifice form, this could result in a terrible hook or slice. You just need to work on head speed, which just comes with having a good swing and practicing alot, you don't need to be athletic.
    Under Construction...

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    Check this out for a great laugh.

Link

what's next? figureskating, professional poker?
    Now competitive eating is a sport that would be more fun to watch if everyone's juiced up.

Chestnut downs 387 hot dogs next year.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

There's a golfer named Jason Zuback. I saw him on TV and he is capable of hitting 380-390 yards. He was wearing a big golf shirt but I could tell that guy was huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    I like how HGH, steroids and creatine are in the same grouping.
    I was thinking the exact same thing. That single statement shows that he knows absolutely nothing about any of these substances, and should keep his mouth shut.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Well, Barry Bonds DID remark that his "meds" helped improve his eyesight at the plate drastically. That's got to be worth SOMETHING in a skill competition.

Or maybe he's full of it........
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

Gamer/Lifter
    Sterioids in gold?

Doesn't make sense to me golf isn't a strength sport.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post
    There's a golfer named Jason Zuback. I saw him on TV and he is capable of hitting 380-390 yards. He was wearing a big golf shirt but I could tell that guy was huge!
    That's the guy I was referring to. They kept remarking about his arms in an interview or show. I'm guessing he's on from the little I could tell. We should all try golfing today, move over Tiger lol

I just saw one pick of Jason Zuback, I don't know how to post it. I'm would bet money he is or has used. To bad he might be singled out and lose a career. The NFL has done the best job of covering up and making the fans believe there sport is clean or relatively clean. The only big name I remember last year was Shaun Merriman getting caught, do you thing he is the only one? lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    If you compare two golfers being of equal skill, equal age, equal everything etc. If one of them is taking steroids that one will be better for sure. Steroids not only help out with muscle mass/strength etc. they all around enhance a persons performance. Now I don't know if it would be significant but every little bit helps when you're playing for thousands of dollars.
    That musculature would only be good up to a certain point - after a certain point that added size (not so much strength) would hinder your game, I would think. And any extra muscle you would need would be easy to get naturally, provided you are relatively young.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    Sterioids in gold?

Doesn't make sense to me golf isn't a strength sport.
    I figured some members would have already picked up on this but steroids do not just give you the OMGZORS!!! ZE MUSKLES!!!!111! and ze STRENGHTZORS!!1! They also help largely with recovery. Obviously this would be beneficial in golf as well as a variety of others sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    I figured some members would have already picked up on this but steroids do not just give you the OMGZORS!!! ZE MUSKLES!!!!111! and ze STRENGHTZORS!!1! They also help largely with recovery. Obviously this would be beneficial in golf as well as a variety of others sports.
    Yeah, that recovery time in golf is a bitch. I know that's why I don't play. Whacking a ball, then sitting in a motorized cart is just too much activity. The potential DOMS is frightening.

If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I am not sure why everyone is doubting steroids in any sport. If I were getting paid millions and I knew that if I performed better that I would get millions more, why not take a chance and do some steroids to get stronger. Screw playing fair. If I have a 10 year window of opportunity (majority have less and this is for optimal conditions), I am going to pump my body with anything and everything if there is a chance that my stats will go up and I will get paid more. The only 2 major sports I feel no one does steroids in because it would negatively affect the players greatly are soccer and basketball.

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5