The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    big pimpin biggimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    omaha
    Posts
    1,762

    can a tiger (girl) lose its stripes?

    and if so, how can you tell if it has?

    for the past 2 months i have been dating the girl of my dreams, i think. i have known her for about a year now. we pretty much keep to ourselves and hang out constantly (totally normal, i know) anyways, i have the best time every time we are with each other, sex or no. my only problem is her past

    anyways, her first year out of college she was basically a "loosey goosey" so to say. getting drunk every night and fooling around with a lot of different guys. in my head i think that i dont have a problem with this, but it keeps coming up in the back of my mind and making me question her. the fact that she still hangs around a lot of her friends who were the same way (some of whom still are) does not help. i regularly hear stories and hear how they all used to be. she has gone as far to say that she hasnt gone more than 2 or 3 weeks without being with somebody in the past three years hearing this kind of stuff makes me worried that she may at some point revert to her old ways.

    ever since we began talking and eventually dating she has said that she used to be dumb, and that she wants to change her ways, especially since she feels so good about me. at first though she even thought it was funny to tell me about guys she had fooled around with if i ever brought their names up by coincidence. she doesnt do that anymore but the fact that she did at first gets to me. she claims she doesnt want to drink anymore, and that she is sick of partying. we have only done pretty nerdy stuff the past couple of months with no opposition from her so i guess she is sticking to her word.

    i guess i am just worried mostly because she still hangs out with those same friends and when they bring up the past it makes me sick to my stomach. also she has a lot of guy friends since she says she did not get along well with girls (understandable, my mom was the same way) am i wrong to feel worried? should i take her word and if so why? i am just being cautious about putting all my eggs in one basket to say the least, in fear that i am going to be let down, as that has happened in the past. i am trying to get over the fact that she used to get around, but her friends arent helping. is this normal/ok/part of the process of growing together? besides this she is perfect, the girl of my dreams, i can not think of one thing to change about her to make her perfect for me.

    can a tiger lose its stripes, and if so how can you tell when it has?

    thanks for any input
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.


    journal

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member Walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    90
    They don't change. Once a slut, always a slut. Some get better at lieing, though... especially to themselves.

  4. #3
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    People can change. Guard your heart though, man.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  5. #4
    big pimpin biggimp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    omaha
    Posts
    1,762
    Quote Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
    They don't change. Once a slut, always a slut. Some get better at lieing, though... especially to themselves.
    yeah that was on my brain. i did confront her about it once though, and she started crying telling me how sad she was about what she had done ???
    Rock Quotes:
    -Girls like big strong men, all the other men has to find a niche or a thing they supposedly love, you know...like saving whales or reading books, to get laid.
    -Look..first I am scared little freezing virgin munk, but then I bare my self and I am nothing like a freezing virgin!
    -Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke, he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    And I'll clench my buttcheeks as hard as I can to keep free of intruders.


    journal

  6. #5
    I love lamp. Blanche_Soprano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northwestern Suburbs of Chicago
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    People can change. Guard your heart though, man.
    Very well put.

    Many people don't change, but people do grow up and that might have been what she did. She is ready to settle down and turn her back on her past.

    BUT that past will always be part of her. While growing closer to her, watch out for any big warning signs that something is going on. Overall don't worry too much or stress about her past. Spend your time with her getting to know her better and having fun.
    To clear up some confusion:
    Blanche = slut on the Golden Girls
    Soprano = The Sopranos
    And no, my life does not revolve around the tv.

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Kitchener, ON
    Posts
    11,341
    When she was tramping around, was she cheating on an exclusive-relationship boyfriend or was she single?

    If she was single, what the hell are you worried about? ****, she slept around and partied. So? So do lots of people. Nothing wrong with it.

    If she was cheating on someone, THEN worry. Jeez.

    The notion that men still expect a woman to be a demure virgin when they get to around to dating her in this day and age is silly, to say the least. The past doesn't mean a damn thing. What counts is how she's behaving with you!

    Is she being straight with you in your relationship? Are you both agreed to a monogamous relationship? If so, shut up, sit back and enjoy the ride. If you have NOT agreed to some sort of monogamous relationship with her then I guess I can see that you have room to be concerned. But by the same token if no one has agreed to be monogamous, it's unfair to expect it.

    Being honest and upfront about what you want and what you expect is kind of important if you expect to have any kind of lasting mature relationship.

  8. #7
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,761
    If you have to ask, you already know the answer but wish you didn't.

    If you don't trust her unconditionally, just bail. Plenty of others to choose from out there.

    EDIT: Agree with Relentless. If she's historically loyal in a relationship then there shouldn't be a big deal and any problems to be had are in your own head and dealing with your own insecurities.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 07-19-2007 at 08:28 PM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  9. #8
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    It is my opinion that people never change. Of course there are exceptions but the overwhelming majority do not.

    Once a slut always a slut.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  10. #9
    Ex-Manwhore KingWilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    3,055
    I think you're worrying way more than you should and I don't think the responses in this thread are helping you

    "once a slut, always a slut" is not the general rule of thumb...trust me, I've had my fair share

    maybe people don't change but they do become more mature...don't dwell on the past or you'll have no future with her

    EDIT: as a side note..what the **** is wrong with messing around when you're drunk and SINGLE? And how does that turn into her being unfaithful while she's in a relationship? (for those of you saying "once a slut always a slut")
    Last edited by KingWilder; 07-19-2007 at 09:13 PM.
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

    Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

    CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

    You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

  11. #10
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    It is my opinion that people never change. Of course there are exceptions but the overwhelming majority do not.

    Once a slut always a slut.
    On what do you base this opinion? At best, you know a handful of people when compared to the world population. Anything else you've learned is going to be hearsay anyway.

    There is no such thing as a slut. It's such a juvenile concept. If any combination of single men and women go out and have safe sex with mutual consent, whose god damn business is that of anyone besides the parties directly involved? If there are infidelities involved, that's a different matter. As long as your partner is clean, any concern about who he/she has been with before you is just a matter of your own fragile ego and personal insecurity.

    A lot of people have been conditioned to believe that people that **** a lot aren't worthy of respect and are lower on the societal totem pole than you. I have respect for anyone that knows what he or she wants and goes and gets it. Exceptions include gold diggers and date rapists.
    Last edited by VikingWarlord; 07-19-2007 at 09:33 PM.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  12. #11
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    For a giant, buff guy with a scary beard, you are actually quite insightful. =]
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  13. #12
    Banned phreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    858
    Strong egocentricity in this thread. Biggimp, who is worse off in this "relationship"? (in quotes, because without trust there isn't actually one)

    She has done nothing wrong, yet you doubt her motives and her actions. Now tell me, who is the person hurt by this? She has done no wrong, yet you always consider her a cheating slut behind her back. Please do her a favor and end the relationship now. If she's not actually cheating on you she deserves better than you give her.

  14. #13
    Not Done Yet ShockBoxer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,265
    I'm with Phreak on this one. If you can't handle her past (and I don't fault you for that. I couldn't be with a girl like that either.) then it's not fair to her to keep stringing her along.

    If she's a nice girl who seriously has changed eventually someone will be man enough to say 'the past is history' and mean it.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

    Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

    Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3


    Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg

  15. #14
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN View Post
    For a giant, buff guy with a scary beard, you are actually quite insightful. =]
    Yeah. Study philosophy at the collegiate level for a few years and that kind of thing tends to happen.

    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  16. #15
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    On what do you base this opinion? At best, you know a handful of people when compared to the world population. Anything else you've learned is going to be hearsay anyway.

    There is no such thing as a slut. It's such a juvenile concept. If any combination of single men and women go out and have safe sex with mutual consent, whose god damn business is that of anyone besides the parties directly involved? If there are infidelities involved, that's a different matter. As long as your partner is clean, any concern about who he/she has been with before you is just a matter of your own fragile ego and personal insecurity.

    A lot of people have been conditioned to believe that people that **** a lot aren't worthy of respect and are lower on the societal totem pole than you. I have respect for anyone that knows what he or she wants and goes and gets it. Exceptions include gold diggers and date rapists.
    So basically you're making a long winded argument telling me you do not think it's wrong for people to have multiple partners.

    Congratulations. Thats all you have to say. Its irritating when people make these obnoxious paragraphs and use complicated words in a vain attempt to sound smart.

    You aren't the only one with an opinion. Just because someone doesn't think the way you think doesn't make them wrong or you right. I think there are sluts, there always will be. You want to encourage promiscuity, fine. But don't jump on my balls when I disagree with you.

    EDIT: There I threw in some big words for you to ponder and philosophize.
    Last edited by Jordanbcool; 07-20-2007 at 07:04 AM.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  17. #16
    Is cutting down to 9% Jordanbcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kent Island, Maryland
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    Yeah. Study philosophy at the collegiate level for a few years and that kind of thing tends to happen.

    Wow. Having sex is philosophical now? I should start my own religion then.
    Getting back in the groove
    "I'll tell you a secret. Something they don't teach you in your temple. The Gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again." - Achilles, (Troy 2004)
    Stats
    ATF squat- 275 RAW
    Deadlift- 415
    Bench- Two 100lbs DB's four times
    190lbs 15% BF (Estimate)

  18. #17
    Senior Member BilltheButcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    We all have pasts, if she can be monogamous then who cares. The problem isn't with her, its with you. Either your jealous, your worried that you don't match up to the guys she's been with or that only will be enough for her and she'll look elsewhere.

    I hear where you are coming from. I dated a girl that I thought was amazing, everything was great, meaning spend the rest of my life with her great, until I met a bunch of her college friends at a wedding. A bunch of the guys there got all drunk and started telling stories about her and basically she had been on her knees more then Billy Graham. From then on I just couldn't get it out of the back of my mind and basically the relationship crumbled quickly after. Looking back at my college days I was just as bad and you know how it is with girls and guys. A guy can be with many women and a girl is with a few guys that know one another, they're a slut. It sucks.

    Also something weird to me is that you guys pretty much keep to yourselves and hang out with one another. Usually that is a sign that she doesn't want her past coming into your lives if you guys go out or go to a club/bar.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

  19. #18
    Former Fatass Unreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    SLC,UT
    Posts
    3,084
    If her friends are still sluts, then the only solution is to send them my way to get them away from her so they can't be a bad influence.
    Nick V

  20. #19
    Chubbilicious. VikingWarlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Inderminapolis.
    Posts
    3,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordanbcool View Post
    So basically you're making a long winded argument telling me you do not think it's wrong for people to have multiple partners.

    Congratulations. Thats all you have to say. Its irritating when people make these obnoxious paragraphs and use complicated words in a vain attempt to sound smart.

    You aren't the only one with an opinion. Just because someone doesn't think the way you think doesn't make them wrong or you right. I think there are sluts, there always will be. You want to encourage promiscuity, fine. But don't jump on my balls when I disagree with you.

    EDIT: There I threw in some big words for you to ponder and philosophize.
    Ah, apparently the big words distracted you. Read the first sentence of that post.

    "On what do you base your opinions?"

    I doubt you've conducted a study with a portion of the world's population statistically significant to be able to draw that sort of a conclusion.

    Yeah, people can have their opinions, but those opinions have to be based on something. Where do yours come from? From a psychological standpoint, these opinions have a tendency to form out of insecurity. The other major influence is societal conditioning. Your parents told you it was wrong, so...oh, ****, it must be.

    You're not the only one that holds these opinions in this thread, but I singled you out because of the way you presented it. You said it was an opinion, but stated that opinion as though it was thoroughly researched fact.

    I'll go ahead and ask another question, here's a hypothetical. If a woman has multiple partners throughout her youth, does this automatically make her a bad person? Sounds like you think so. You're passing judgement on someone because of capricious youth instead of who she is now. If that woman has grown up to be a doctor, lawyer, Nobel Prize winning physicist, or whatever, does she have some kind of merit, or is she still just a worthless slut?

    My post is about more than thinking it's ok to have multiple partners. It's about how it's not the business of anyone besides that person and those partners. If you have problems with it, get the hell over yourself and accept the person for who he or she is now, not who they were then. If you can't accept and trust someone unconditionally, then you'll not have a relationship with that person that holds any meaning.

    Watch Chasing Amy. That's exactly what this flick is about. Letting your insecurities kick your ass.

    I still challenge you to explain where your opinions come from. If they have no cause, it might be time to question them.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

    "Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

    Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

  21. #20
    Banned phreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    858
    Jordan:

    You meet a really cute girl. She looks great, she's brilliant, has exactly the same outlook on life, she's great in bed. But... you find out (she herself tells you, because you asked) she's been sleeping around a lot before she met you. A lot, as in: not even being able to say approximately how many. A lot, as in: sometimes several different guys in one day.

    Would it matter to you? Would you be able to deal with that past? Would you consider her a slut? Is she still a slut in your eyes?

    As this is a real-life example (my fiancee), I can tell you for a fact that this does not have to be a problem. Or is she, a former uber-slut, the exception to your rule?

  22. #21
    cakin Cirino83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,239
    sluts are fun

    but on a serious note, I firmly believe that an ex 'slut' can turn around if she is ready to settle down/finds the right guy. I've seen it done plenty of times.

  23. #22
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    Gimp, everyone has a past, and you can't change it. You have two choices: accept that fact and make sure you don't give her any (extra) reason to revert to her "old ways," or dwell on it and let it ruin what might be the greatest relationship you will ever have. If she really has matured and wants more of a connection with someone, then this is your problem, and she is ready to leave the past behind her. Of course don't leave yourself unprotected at all, but seriously, if this is the only problem you see, you're in excellent shape if you can get past this.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    582
    Wow, that'd be like throwing a hot-dog through the Channel Tunnel. If the Channel Tunnel was festering with a thousand diseases.

  25. #24
    permanently bulking Titanium_Jim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by anelka View Post
    Wow, that'd be like throwing a hot-dog through the Channel Tunnel. If the Channel Tunnel was festering with a thousand diseases.
    The loose theory is a myth. The tightness is determined by PC muscle development.
    "I would have had sex with a pornstar, slapped a bitch and stole someone's dog." - deeder
    "Ever heard the term "screwing like rabbits? There's a reason it came about, and it has nothing to do with putting up drywall." - mrelwooddowd
    "If you are looking for a workout that will make you sore, you need to reassess your priorities, and perhaps look for an S&M club in your area." - Paul Stagg
    "I do encourage that people laugh at the fact I've put ass creme on my face." - Rock Steady
    "I look like a condom full of walnuts." - Risk10k
    "...the mothers would hang out of the window to get a piece of my little peanut ass and my bronzelike skin." - Rock

  26. #25
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium_Jim View Post
    The loose theory is a myth. The tightness is determined by PC muscle development.
    Besides, just because woman has had more partners than most, does not mean she has had more sex than most.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Similar Threads

  1. lose weight but get bigger
    By tonelo61 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 02:05 PM
  2. Tried PTing a Girl Today with Eating Disorder
    By d'Anconia in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 04:23 PM
  3. Is it possible to lose one inch off the waistline a week?
    By danallshookup in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-17-2002, 08:20 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-10-2002, 07:49 PM
  5. how much muscle will i lose?
    By the_hall in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-24-2002, 09:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •