Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dumbbell Rows or Barbell Rows? Which do you prefer?

Get big.
    DB and t-bar for me. I'm not sure why I don't do BB; maybe I'll add some of them in on my back day next week

Wannabebig Member
    You know you can rig up a ghetto t-bar row using a barbell right?
    What, put weights on the end and pry the other end of the barbell against a wall or something?

Quote Originally Posted by amarkham View Post
    What, put weights on the end and pry the other end of the barbell against a wall or something?
    Yep, stick one end of the barbell in a corner and it's just like a T-Bar. Just grab one of those V handles that you would use on the pully machines and stick it on the bar to make a handle.

Throw a barbell in the corner of the room and do some rows using the v-grip for handles. BB rows in the power rack are also great. Screw it so are 1 arm rows, you should do them all.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

I've been doing Ghetto T-bar for a while now and like it a lot. Did one arm db rows on wednesday and my back was pretty sore, hasn't been in a while.

But like others have said DB's don't go heavy enough for me to continue doing them.
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Wannabebig Member
    Bako Lifter
    Yep, stick one end of the barbell in a corner and it's just like a T-Bar. Just grab one of those V handles that you would use on the pully machines and stick it on the bar to make a handle.
    How would I stick it on the bar? Would it even fit around the end of a bar? They're quite thick, I'm not sure if the hole in the V handle would be big enough.
    Last edited by amarkham; 07-20-2007 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amarkham View Post
    How would I stick it on the bar? Would it even fit around the end of a bar? They're quite thick, I'm not sure if the hole in the V handle would be big enough.
    No not the whole where you hook the cable normally. You have the bar sit in the middle of the V (opposite side of the whole).
    Make Shift IF diet
    My Training Experience
    GET BODY SMART
    Goals:
    CF WOD and Recomp...
    "My fault. I was fiddling with the Gravitational Constant of the Universe again.
    I've set it back - you might need to reboot, though..." -Built

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal--
    nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong attitude" - Thomas J

"Obsessed is what the lazy call the dedicated" - Slim Schaedle

Quote Originally Posted by ddegroff View Post
    No not the whole where you hook the cable normally. You have the bar sit in the middle of the V (opposite side of the whole).
    words of wisdom. It works great. Also try and use 25 plates if you can, you get a fuller range of motion; 45's hit your chest on your way up.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

I never could get the ghetto T-bar to work. When I put enough weight to work my muscles properly (which isn't much at all) the bar tips over. I've tried putting weights on the other side but it just does not work very well at all.

Wannabebig Member markfromaurora's Avatar
    this ghetto t-bar rig sounds quite interesting...i MIGHT try it sometime soon... hmm

I really like dumbbell rows.

Barbell. I really don't think the greats would recommend dumbell rows over barbell rows for back size and strength. Personally dumbells feel like some kind of warped curl for me, too much biceps.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    I never could get the ghetto T-bar to work. When I put enough weight to work my muscles properly (which isn't much at all) the bar tips over. I've tried putting weights on the other side but it just does not work very well at all.
    Sounds like you're standing too far over the end. That's never happened to me.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle