The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Okay, have no idea how this works on fitday

I figured im going to start tracking what I eat on fitday at least for a couple weeks to see where I am at, and this is yesterday. What needs improvement?

Calories Eaten Today
    grams cals %total
    Total: 1685
    Fat: 39 353 21%
    Sat: 16 148 9%
    Poly: 8 72 4%
    Mono: 11 97 6%
    Carbs: 230 871 53%
    Fiber: 12 0 0%
    Protein: 104 418 25%
    Alcohol: 0 0 0%

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I know this might be hard to read, but these are the foods I ate
    Yam, cooked, boiled, drained, or baked, without salt cup, cubescup cubes 158 0 38 2
    Yogurt, fruit variety, lowfat milk cup (8 fl oz)6 oz container8 oz containercontainer, NFSDannon Sprinkl'ins container (4.1 oz)Quantity not specified 250 3 47 11
    Chicken, breast, with or without bone, broiled, skin not eaten cup, cooked, dicedoz, boneless, cooked (yield after sk...oz, boneless, cooked, skinlessoz, boneless, raw (yield after cooki...oz, boneless, raw, without skin (yie...oz, with bone, cooked (yield after b...oz, with bone, cooked, without skin ...oz, with bone, raw (yield after cook...oz, with bone, raw, without skin (yi...cubic inch, boneless, cooked, skin r...medium slice (approx 2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4")thick slice (approx 2" x 1-1/2" x 3/8")thin slice (approx 2" x 1-1/2" x 1/8")large breast (yield after cooking, b...medium breast (yield after cooking, ...small breast (yield after cooking, b...Quantity not specified 221 5 0 42
    Grapes, American type, slip skin, raw cupoz yieldsgrapeQuantity not specified 62 0 16 1
    Watermelon, raw cup, NFScup, ballscup, dicedoz yieldscubic inchlong melon (15" long x 7-1/2" dia)round melon (9-1/2" dia)slice (1" thick, 7-1/2" - 9-1/2" lon...wedge (approx 1/16 of melon)watermelon ballswhole round slice (1" thick)small wedgemedium wedgelarge wedgeQuantity not specified 49 1 11 1
    Tomatoes, raw cup, cherry tomatocup, chopped or slicedoz, raw, yieldsItalian tomatocherrylarge whole (3" dia)medium whole (2-3/5" dia)medium slice (1/4" thick)plum tomatosmall whole (2-2/5" dia)thick/large slice (1/2" thick)wedge (1/4 of medium tomato)thin/small sliceQuantity not specified 38 1 8 2
    Rice, fried, with meat and/or poultry cupQuantity not specified 330 12 41 12
    Beef, rice, and vegetables (including carrots, broccoli, and/or dark-green leafy), no sauce (mixture) cupQuantity not specified 202 4 22 18
    Coffee, presweetened with sugar, pre-lightened fl ozcan (10 fl oz)coffee cup (6 fl oz)mug (8 fl oz)vending machine cupQuantity not specified 134 4 24 1
    Milk, cow's, fluid, 2% fat cupfl ozschool milk carton (1/2 pint)Guideline amount per fl oz of beverageGuideline amount per cup of hot cerealGuideline amount per cup of cold cerealQuantity not specified 242 9 23 16
    Totals 1685 39 230 104

Wannabebig Member
    Depending on what you are trying to do, I would suggest cutting your carbs down to a lower percent. Are you trying to cut, bulk, or just stay the same? Depending on that, is how your diet works out.

Wannabebig Member
    I guess cut would be the objective. I started working out about a month ago, would like to lose some weight and then go from there.

Training
    We need more stats to give judgement. Height, weight, approximate bf, how long have you been lifting, are you familiar with cutting, and bulking?

I believe your diet's calories are relatively low, and your carbs need to be adjusted. 1g protein per lbm. .5g for fat, and carbs balance out the rest with your calories.
    Starting over...

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, Im 6'5 and about 270, have been working out for about 4-6 weeks and prior to this had a poor diet and little to no real exercise. Im 27 and was in the worst shape I have been in for the past 5-6 years. Recently with work I started to do more actual work during the day(instead of sitting in a van all day) and I am doing 4 days a week of lifting. Have no idea of body fat % and probably dont want to know.

Post some pics for general ideas on bodyfat %.

Half your carbs, triple the protein and eat more good fats. I don't know what your metabolic rate is like, you'd have to track for a few weeks to find out. But you want at least 200g of protein per day, no more then 120g of carbs and atleast 60g of good fats. Eat your carbs around the workouts if you can, on a cut you will want those around the workouts to give you that quick boost of energy.

To help with hunger, spread your meals out over the day as much as possible.

If you can eat 3000 a day and still lose weight then divide that up over 5 small meals and you can eat 5 times 600 calories each. That would be more ideal then eating say 3 100 calorie meals 6 hours apart and you'll be less likely to snack if you do it that way.

UPPPP the fats and protein and LOWER the carbs.

I would say aim for at least 200g of protein and 100g of fat. Fill the rest of your cals with carbs.

1700cals is pretty damn low for 6 foot 5 270lb man.

Training
    Definitely read the articles in nutrition. Signup to fitday.com. Read Built's blog.
    Starting over...

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, reading more and more about this it is a bit intimidating trying to just figure out what is good and what isnt. I mean....you're whole life you grow up hearing fruits and vegetables.....blah blah blah, and really it isnt that simple. Im going food shopping with the wife in a bit, and im going to try to make some of builts waffles and going to try to aim for more protein, calories, and good fat and lower the carbs. After a few days of tracking Ill post back the results from fitday.

Any suggestions on good staple foods or meals in general?

BTW, my italian wife thinks im crazy.

Wannabebig Member
    Also, being new to this............should I also include a protein shake (atlarge's nitrean) daily or twice on workout days also to up the protein count?