The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Want tighter bench shirt.. which size?

So I've got about 3.5 months before my next meet and want to start training in my shirt. I trained for about 2 months in the spring with a loose shirt and it went pretty well. I'm a generous 38" chest and was using a stock 38 F6. I could touch really easily in the shirt... likely as low as ~230. I was only getting like 30 lbs out of the shirt at best.

So I need something better and tighter. I'd like to go with the F6 again... either a 36 or 34 chest with blown up arms. What do you all think? Another guy on the team uses a 36 and he weighs 164... vs my 137. So I'm thinking the 34 might be ideal... just don't know if its too tight.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Call or email a dealer and they should be able to help you out. Priscilla (mind spelling) did a great job sizing me. I have her email at home and will post tonight.

The other option would be to gain weight until your 38 is tight
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

I'd probably go with the 36. Do you know Laramie's measurements? If he's about the same size as you in the chest then you'd probably want the same size as him. 4 inches smaller than your actual chest size would be REALLY tight and I'd be afraid you wouldn't be able to touch with a weight you could press back up.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

A 36 might be ideal... they can tighten the chest plate if I need it correct? I know that Laramie's shirt is starting to be too loose for him. Ideally I want to have trouble touching ~300 lbs or so whatever size I get.

Andrew Kim was commenting that at a 38 chest a 34c/36a would be comparable to his tightest shirt. If I flex my lats out I can hit a 38" chest measurement... otherwise its a little less than 37.
    Last edited by redFury; 07-23-2007 at 10:40 AM.
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    A 36 might be ideal... they can tighten the chest plate if I need it correct? I know that Laramie's shirt is starting to be too loose for him. Ideally I want to have trouble touching ~300 lbs or so whatever size I get.

Andrew Kim was commenting that at a 38 chest a 34c/36a would be comparable to his tightest shirt. If I flex my lats out I can hit a 38" chest measurement... otherwise its a little less than 37.

Measure your chest relaxed not flexed. I would say try the 36 to start but you will want a tighter one soon.. The good thing about the Titan shirts is they can be taken in if need be. Also if you learn to touch a little lower you can get in a tighter shirt. I think Roger will be up there with you guys a few times over the next few months. Take advantage of him and how he wears his gear.

Good luck
    pain is inevitable suffering is optional

www.ryanopower.com

http://www.prowriststraps.com

Thanks Wayne... after spending a few months in the 38 I really need something tighter. I'm doing like 270-275 tng RAW bench right now. I've ordered a 36 from Ken and will evaluate it in the coming weeks. I'll try to get a touch in it and get it tightened if I need it (which I prolly will). My ultimate goal is to hit the Record of 358 for Worlds... whether or not thats possible is beyond me. Bottom line is I want to get a lot out of my shirt... and I want to train as much as possible to get there.
    - rEDfURY
    My PL Training Journal

Feck dude, how can you want a tighter shirt. Does the pain go away after you get used to it? My 42 ripped me apart , and you said you have similar measurements to me...

Yes, Bako. The pain goes away over time. You get used to it, somewhat. I actually find, too, that a tighter shirt that's "set" correctly leaves less welts than a really loose shirt.

Fury - I have no doubt you could at over 358 shirted bench witht eh right shirt and with enough practice in it. I get over 100lbs out of mine.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle