The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Training for shirt and raw

So I got my bench shirt (a double RageX) and broke it in last weekend and now I'm left wondering how often I should be in the thing. I think if I am in it too much the shirt will lose all its tension and become fairly useless. I've read some stuff by Sean Lattimer where he recommends a shirt day and a raw assistance day, but wouldn't working the shirt every week ruin it? I also want to increase my raw bench. I guess what I am asking is how do you guys structure your training around the shirt?
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-22-2009 at 06:33 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Shirts last more than most think. Learn the shirt first, then you can figure out how often to train in it. Travis only gets in his once in a while. He'll be the one to listen to regarding this.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Once I started using the shirt every week or close to it my bench went up every month for 18 months from 350-525.

I'm sure once you get to a high level you can use it less but I think if you want to get the most out of it you need to master it.

Big Iron use it once and even twice per week, westside way less and both have massive benchers so you choose.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    So I got my bench shirt (a double RageX) and broke it in last weekend and now I'm left wondering how often I should be in the thing. I think if I am in it too much the shirt will lose all its tension and become fairly useless. I've read some stuff by Sean Lattimer where he recommends a shirt day and a raw assistance day, but wouldn't working the shirt every week ruin it? I also want to increase my raw bench. I guess what I am asking is how do you guys structure your training around the shirt?
    I agree with Vincent, shirts last a lot longer than people think. I've been using the same shirt for over a year and a half.

however, if your intent is to keep pushing your raw up at the same time, you can't be in the shirt every week. You can still make plenty of progress by building up your raw base at the same time.

at the 08 ProAm I benched my first 700, and using the same shirt I benched 770 just a couple weeks ago, missing 800 by about an inch.

My raw bench has gone up from 425 to 540 in the last two years as well.

A lot of people switch shirts to one that fits better or has more plies right before they get in it every weeks, which contributes a lot to the progress

however if your goal is purely your equipped bench, and you can recover from it, a lot of the top benchers (Rob Luyando, Ryan Kennelly, Vin) spend every week for a good amount of time in their shirts.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Travis, what was your trainging like when your raw max went from 425 to 525?
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Here's my thoughts as a mediocre bencher and 3 lift person. Wear the shirt every other week until you get 200+ from it. At that point you have pretty good shirt technique and get diminishing returns from wearing it so often. Then wear it once a month and focus on raw strength with an emphasis towards lockout.

The guys that have the most success wearing a shirt every week are guys that already have a 500+ raw bench. Most of us need to increase our raw bench too to get the best shirted bench.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

When I was in the shirt constantly and benched 840 I liked to do 5 weeks of shirt work followed by 5 weeks of raw work and I did that for years go back and forth between the two. I always found that if i tried to do raw and shirt work at the same time my grooves got confused as they are pretty different. By focusing on one or the other they both got ample work in.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I aint a big bencher, but I have been making some good progress lately with my bench. I like to go Week 1 raw, Week 2 shirted triples, Week 3 shirted singles. And I do alot of raw lockout work also.
    Last edited by muscle_g; 12-23-2009 at 01:13 PM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Travis, what was your trainging like when your raw max went from 425 to 525?
    Like my shirt and max work?

Or what did I do for my training template?

I pretty much did the same thing I do now.

However I did take about 8mths off of shirted benching and worked solely on my raw work and then benched a 70lb pr at my first meet back

One way or another, you do have to get stronger

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

What has worked for me so far is getting in the shirt every third week. So two weeks raw and then one week in the shirt.

I've tried staying in the shirt more often, but it was too much. Both physically and mentally.

Now that I'm going to be an injury induced bench-only guy for a while I may go to a one week in and one week out rotation as I think I can recover much better w/o squatting and pulling heavy.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

This is all great info guys. Seems like everyone has their own ideas about how often to train in the shirt...

I'm currently (1) week raw, followed by (2) weeks shirted... However I do raw lock-out or DB work each week. Of course some weeks I change it up depending on how I'm feeling.

Like adam said, training geared every week can be taxing on your CNS... I sub Rev.- bands for shirted bench some weeks for variety... Same w/ sqaut.

Is it possible to do high end/shirt work on ME bench day and then low end/raw stuff on DE day and make progress in both that way?

Like high board shirt work on Day 1

And then full range raw on the second?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Like high board shirt work on Day 1

And then full range raw on the second?
    Yeah like 4brds and shirt work and "top range stuff" on ME day and then raw low end/full range stuff on DE day. Someone must have tried this.
    Last edited by OGROK; 12-23-2009 at 08:01 PM.

I'm taking the Matt Wenning approach to ME.

Week 1: bottom
    Week 2: middle
    Week 3: top

Then I do floor press as an accessory every ME and DE (stole the idea from Travis). It's working. My raw and shirted are increasing.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Yeah like 4brds and shirt work and "top range stuff" on ME day and then raw low end/full range stuff on DE day. Someone must have tried this.
    I wouldn't do them both in the same week. You'll get burnt out in a hurry.

What a lot of guys do is shirt work one day and then raw board work on the next, but not both on the same day and then another heavy day

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I'm taking the Matt Wenning approach to ME.

Week 1: bottom
    Week 2: middle
    Week 3: top

Then I do floor press as an accessory every ME and DE (stole the idea from Travis). It's working. My raw and shirted are increasing.
    Some day I hope to be strong enough so that my bench will have a bottom, middle and top! Right now it's a "form, please dont break."
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good." - 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"For me the most important thing is to beat myself, to lift the barbell that up to this point I have not yet lifted." - Alexeyev

Is it possible to do high end/shirt work on ME bench day and then low end/raw stuff on DE day and make progress in both that way?
    The metal militia guys at least used to do this, and big iron does something similar with some lifters as well. If you have your volume/intensity correct for you, you could train bench multiple times per week.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220