The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Working hard in the gym = tired all the time?

Hi, ever since I have been working extra hard on my squats and eating tons every day I feel really tired all the time. I generally stick to a 5x5 or 3x5 and mainly do compounds each time I go. I only go to the gym 3 times a week but I am ULTRA tired on the days I dont go. For instance, yesterday was a heavy squat,press, and rowing day. I slept like a baby for 8 hours but I was exhausted today. I came home after work and slept for 3 hours just now. The other day, instead of taking a lunch break at work, I slept inside the shower closet they have there. I could barely keep my eyes open in my cubicle so I had to. Is this just my muscles needing tons of rest to repair? I have been working my ass off on the squats lately.

I do not drink caffeinated drinks EVER.
    I do not drink anything but water during the week (beer on the weekends), except before I workout I take about 200mg of caffeine, some l-arganine, and b-vitamins.

I am constantly well hydrated throughout the day (light yellowish urine always). I am never hungry, because if I am, I will already have a meal to eat in front of me. Does anyone else feel like this who works extra hard in the gym?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You're CNS is probably taxed. Feeling tired and exhausted even after getting a good night's sleep is generally a result of a fatigued CNS. You could be taxing yourself a little too hard.

Try contrast showers for your CNS...
    5'8" 177 (meet PRs) ALL RAW

Bench - 290 (291) Pause reps Dead - 500 (479.5) Squat - 446 (430)

Total - 1236 (1168.4)

Goals: Bench - 280 met 1/19/09 new goal - 300 Squat - 435 met 11/28/09 new goal 475 Dead - 500 met 1/23/10 new goal 525

The Quest

Whats your routine? How long have you been on it?

How old are you?

What are your daily macros?

How often do you max?

Whats you WO history?
    Sarvamangalam!

Banned
    1) Whats your routine? How long have you been on it?
    Right now I am using a modified rippetoe starting strength program.

Workout 1:
    Squats 3 x 5
    Bench 3 x 5
    Good mornings 3 x 8
    Friday (close grip bench and abs)

Workout 2:
    Squats 3 x 5
    Rows 3 x 5
    Military Press 3 x 5
    Friday (close grip bench and abs)

How old are you?
    I turned 25 last november

What are your daily macros?
    Honestly my diet sucks right now and this could be the culprit. I have always been tall and thin. Up until last august I only weighed 200 pounds @ 6'5". I decided I wanted to cut the BS and gain some real weight so I started stuffing my face with anything I can see. Lots of chicken and spaghetti..but most of all a lot of fast food. I now weigh 225 pounds and my lifts have soared.

How often do you max?
    I do not max often at all. However, I frequently mix in 1 rep that is close to my max. So my bench right now is 285..I will do a rep of 265-270 once or twice a week. Squat is 315, I will do a rep of 285 or 290 occasionally. Mainly just so I dont forget how to do the heavy weight.

Whats you WO history?
    Started working out seriously about a year ago. Did a 4 day/week routine that was mainly compounds mixed with isolation stuff for about 9 months. I decided to drop iso movements and focus strictly on compounds. I did Bill Starr for about 2-3 months to get past a bench plateau(it worked) and now I am doing starting strength to get my squats back up. I had a back injury and had to drop squats for a couple months thats why I am doing them 3x a week now. I am not doing deads yet until I am comfortable with my back.

My best maxes are:
    Bench 285
    Squat 315
    Dead 405

Quote Originally Posted by Painzer View Post
    You're CNS is probably taxed. Feeling tired and exhausted even after getting a good night's sleep is generally a result of a fatigued CNS. You could be taxing yourself a little too hard.

Try contrast showers for your CNS...
    i think this sums this up. take another day of rest if needed. people seem to be scared of the idea of taking an additional day off from the gym.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Any other stressors in your life? Work? Family? Relationships?

If your diet, sleep, and stress levels are fine, then I'd look at changing up your training - it shouldn't leave you exhausted all the time. If that doesn't work, see a doctor.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Besides hating my job, no stressors. Relationship I am in is very good. The only thing is on the weekends we end up staying up all night (til around 3 or 4) then sleep all day the next day. I still get the 8-10 hours of sleep, but its not at the same time as during the weekn.

It has only been like this for the past few weeks...

I honestly wasnt really looking for an answer, I just wanted to see if anyone else has ever felt like this.

Oh by the way, my back has felt great since watching your squat videos...thanks again.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 02-17-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Hating your job is a stressor. I don't know how much you really hate it, but that certainly won't help your energy levels during the day.

How much are you doing in a single session?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Banned
    I dont hate it so much that it all I think about if thats what you're asking. But I definitely dont like being there by any means.

Yesterdays workout was:

Squats: 3 x 5 @ 260 pounds
    Rows: 3 x 5 @ 190 pounds
    Military Press: 3 x 5 @ 105 pounds (was easy, I am starting light because I have only done them for a week)

After the squats, I was pretty much spent for the rest of my workout. The funny thing is, I am feeling so tired during these days but my lifts are going up every week still...right now for squats they are going up 5-10 pounds EACH TIME I go. I am shooting for 265 tomorrow but theres no way I am going to get it if I am feeling like this today.

Hmmm. I don't think that even with warm-up sets, what you're doing is so much that it should be leaving you so exhausted. Especially if you've been training consistently for a while now.

The weight gain could be some of it. Work could be part of it. Diet could be part of it. You might get a check up just to make sure. I'm not a hypochondriac, but I don't mess around with unexplainable fatigue either - I'd see a doctor.

Banned
    I was very sick for about 2-3 weeks 2 months ago. I saw the doctor and got tested for mono, amongst some other things. Everything was negative.

If this keeps up for another week, I will make an appointment.

Also, how long does it usually take to recover from a nights worth of drinking? Because I do spend a lot of nights on the weekend going out and staying up late.

Shut up and Lift
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Also, how long does it usually take to recover from a nights worth of drinking? Because I do spend a lot of nights on the weekend going out and staying up late.
    I think that you need to take a hard look at your goals. Beer is fine, in moderation. If you want to gain some solid muscle, quit the binge drinking. You can still go out and have fun at the same places w/o the alcohol.

As far as the exhaustion goes, I had the same exact thing. My CNS was taxed (as stated by previous posters) and as such, I took a solid week off. The next week and then after I felt great- exhaustion gone.
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

Wannabebig Member
    You said cubicle, are you on the computer all the time? I had a data entry job and believe it or not, it tired me out more then my current job where I am on my feet lifting things 10 hours a day. Get your eyes checked, I bet you need glasses.

I used to have an issue where I was tired starting about 1PM until about 9PM every day. My brain was generall foggy during that time too. When I researched the foggy aspect of it milk thistle came up as a possible solution with the possible cause being a dirty liver. So, I started taking milk thistle and the issue went away.

Maybe your liver is having a hard time. Get some milk thistle and try it out. Its cheap. I take 2 a day.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jweik84 View Post
    You said cubicle, are you on the computer all the time? I had a data entry job and believe it or not, it tired me out more then my current job where I am on my feet lifting things 10 hours a day. Get your eyes checked, I bet you need glasses.

Yup...I am sitting at a computer staring at code all day.

I didn't read many of the other replies, but I can relate somewhat to what you are saying. I wouldn't say that I feel exhausted all the time, but I can definately feel the lack of energy from the lifting.

I only get like 6 - 7 hours of sleep per night, and when I was doing SS followed by the Texas Method, constantly increasing my lifts, I was feeling really tired on my off days. I'd fall asleep at night within seconds, and I'd wake up in the morning for work feeling that I still needed at least a couple more hours of sleep. I'd take 3 hour naps after work, etc....

This lifestyle simply causes your body to require more rest, simple as that. You need lots of food and lots of sleep.

I'd suggest going to bed earlier, taking naps often, and possibly increasing your caloric intake and you may quite possibly see a difference in how you feel.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

Oh ya, I sit at a computer all day too, lol. That does get you tired.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

perhaps your not eating enough, try taking some simple carbs like 15 mins before you lift, say 40g's worth.

edit - i've felt like this before, usually when im cutting hard, keep those complex carbs up too.
    Last edited by Aslin; 02-18-2009 at 08:16 AM.

Any active rehab or gpp?

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Jweik84 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Staring at a computer screen and doing nothing but clicking the mouse and typing gets me tired. I get tired at work sometimes even though I sit there and really don't do anything very physical except walking to the water cooler. But when I workout and especially after I am done working out I feel extremely hyper.

Would you say that you are more tired at work vs outside of work?

As a computer programmer I can appreciate the sense of feeling tired after sitting in front of a computer for a few hours straight. But, I think there is a difference in feeling tired from that sense vs. one's muscles being fatigued. If you hold your arm out in front of you does it begin to burn a little after 10 or 15 seconds. Do you feel a little bit of burn in your legs just walking up a single story of stairs. Does your backpack or bag feel heavier than usual. If you feel those types of things you may just be overtrained and need to take a week off. If you just feel straight up tired then you need to get more sleep, clean up your liver, get a blood test to see if you're deficient in any nutrients, eat more veggies, etc.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Staring at a computer screen and doing nothing but clicking the mouse and typing gets me tired. I get tired at work sometimes even though I sit there and really don't do anything very physical except walking to the water cooler. But when I workout and especially after I am done working out I feel extremely hyper.

Would you say that you are more tired at work vs outside of work?
    Today I actually feel relatively ok and its 3 oclock. I tried to go to bed last night at 11 (fell asleep around 12:30). Seemed to have made a little bit of a difference.

And yes, after I workout I am hyper for a couple hours then I crash HARD. To the poster above, no my muscles are not tired. I have been lifting for a while now and I do not get sore nor weak.

I definitely do not get enough veggies...I just bought a vegetable supplement and started taking it today. You have to take 12 of the pills a day but they claim its the same as eating 5 servings of veggies/day.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 02-18-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    I definitely do not get enough veggies...I just bought a vegetable supplement and started taking it today. You have to take 12 of the pills a day but they claim its the same as eating 5 servings of veggies/day.
    Supplements are probably much better than nothing but I would highly recommend adding real veges to your diet. Are you bulking or cutting right now? Either way, getting enough veges is actually pretty easy in my opinion. How is your fruit intake?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hellagrant View Post
    Supplements are probably much better than nothing but I would highly recommend adding real veges to your diet. Are you bulking or cutting right now? Either way, getting enough veges is actually pretty easy in my opinion. How is your fruit intake?
    I am rather tall and have always had trouble gaining weight so my diet may seem like bulking but its actually more like maintaining+. I gain like .3 pounds/week. Most of the time less, but my strength keeps going up so I dont care.

I try to get some broccoli and carrots in when I am cooking my own dinner. I frequently eat bananas. But I bought this product I mentioned because evidently it is the same as eating veggies. It is called Greens+

Maybe you're not hitting a deep sleep. GABA and melatonin can help with that. Or even a prescription like Lunesta but of course that would be a last resort.

I drink a couple of glasses of V8 each day to help get my veggies in but that Greens+ sounds cool and surely tasts better, i.e no taste.