The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657

    Drinking a Gallon of Distilled Water Per Day

    I am not willing to drink my counties tap water, and am trying to figure out the best possible option. Distilled water seems obvious, but I keep seeing the argument that it will leave you mineral deficient and acidic. There is also recommendations of adding essential trace minerals to the distilled water but I can't seem to find any products that accomplish this. I also have a 13 month old son and need an alternative for him as our county has 1ppm flouride in the water and even the government finally admits this will be bad for him. All bottled spring water seems to have flouride added as well. The main chemicals I am trying to avoid is chlorine and flouride.

    Please post with any advice, including information against drinking distilled water if you believe tap/something else is a better alternative. Thanks!

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,129
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    I am not willing to drink my counties tap water, and am trying to figure out the best possible option. Distilled water seems obvious, but I keep seeing the argument that it will leave you mineral deficient and acidic. There is also recommendations of adding essential trace minerals to the distilled water but I can't seem to find any products that accomplish this. I also have a 13 month old son and need an alternative for him as our county has 1ppm flouride in the water and even the government finally admits this will be bad for him. All bottled spring water seems to have flouride added as well. The main chemicals I am trying to avoid is chlorine and flouride.

    Please post with any advice, including information against drinking distilled water if you believe tap/something else is a better alternative. Thanks!
    Cant you just get a water filter?

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657
    Yes, but you end up with distilled water or reverse osmosis and both of those de-mineralize the water. I plan on getting a home distiller if I can ever get to the bottom of this.

  5. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    oh the north country!
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Yes, but you end up with distilled water or reverse osmosis and both of those de-mineralize the water. I plan on getting a home distiller if I can ever get to the bottom of this.
    Distilled water is good and bad. The process removes minerals and impurities, but some of those minerals are good for you to have. Consider drinking both "hard" city water and some sort of filtered water. Fluoride is a nasty chemical, but essential for tooth health. So a double edged sword to say the least. I can't say for sure if drinking filtered water without fluoride is okay for teeth if you brush and rinse with fluoride based products. Just my .02

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657
    The flouride being essential for tooth health is 100% false, and like you said any possible benefit is from topical application and not ingestion. I am very concerned about lacking the true essential minerals, though. Thanks for the reply.

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    Yes, but you end up with distilled water or reverse osmosis and both of those de-mineralize the water. I plan on getting a home distiller if I can ever get to the bottom of this.
    I use a Britta filter, have for like 15 years. It gets rid of the horrible tap water aftertaste, and that's really all that matters, because it allows me to choke it down. That and combined with the ice cold factor makes it easy to get a gallon or more a day. I can't see any amount of minerals that would be worth not just using a filter, it's really cheap and does the job...

    Codeguru

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    0
    Fluoride has been proven to be safe and effective from 0.7 to 1.2 ppm- I dont know where you got your information from but it is BS.

  9. #8
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,887
    I drink a mix of bottled and tap throughout the day...but we have a well.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  10. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    At a slight angle to the universe
    Posts
    1,816
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    The flouride being essential for tooth health is 100% false.
    This isn't entirely true. There is a significant correlation between improved dental health and the time when people started adding fluoride to the water. Nothing is essential, but it is very beneficial.

    I had mild fluorosis (over-sensitivity to fluoride as a child) and because of fluoride toothpaste and fluoride in the water I have slightly mottled, but extremely white, teeth, My sister is more sensitive than me and had to have veneers fitted to her teeth because they were visibly marked. However, we are both rare cases.

    The controversy is that fluoride was also added to toothpaste in the 70s, about 30 years later than to water so it is now possible to be exposed to too much, although still unlikely for most. This could be avoided by using low-fluoride toothpaste with your kids. It's one of those things where the benefits outweigh the risk and where opposition is usually based on emotion not reason.

    The bigger issue is that bottled water is one of the most successful advertising scams ever perpetrated. People have been conned into buying something they can get for free and water companies are laughing. It's also one of the most environmentally damaging products you can buy because of all the unnecessary plastic and travel for a widely available resource. I'd say just drink the water but if you are concerned about your son then a filter seems like a good investment. Could you not get the other minerals from elsewhere? Would it really make that much of a difference to lose tiny amounts of trace minerals?

  11. #10
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeguru View Post
    I use a Britta filter, have for like 15 years. It gets rid of the horrible tap water aftertaste, and that's really all that matters, because it allows me to choke it down. That and combined with the ice cold factor makes it easy to get a gallon or more a day. I can't see any amount of minerals that would be worth not just using a filter, it's really cheap and does the job...

    Codeguru
    A Britta won't take care of the flouride problem though.

    I'm having a really hard time finding anything objective about flouride use, it seems like every source I can find is either www.flouridewillrapeyourfetus.com or www.flourideissafeandawesomeandperfect.com.
    The only objective information I've found shows examples in countries like India and China where there flouride concentrations are many orders of magnitude higher than anywhere in the U.S.
    The underlying question that one must ask is what is an acceptable amount of exposure. If you trust the EPA anon, then the 1ppm falls well within the safe levels for children. But how much water do toddlers drink anyway? Also the EPA's track record is sometimes spotty. If you are chugging a gallon+ a day, this is something that I would definitely look into for your health.

    A Britta also won't take care of the chlorine problem, because it's not the chlorine you need to worry about, it's the potentially damaging levels of the byproducts of the chlorine reacting with various organic compounds. There have been some potentially alarming compounds detected in water, but I'm not aware of appropriate exposure levels. Much like the issue with flouride, if you are ingesting over a gallon a day this is something that could be potentially concerning.

    I know a reverse osmosis system will get rid of the flouride, but I don't know about the byproducts of the chlorine.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  12. #11
    Senior Member ffkjj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    54
    Not sure what minerals your looking for but could you just use a water filter and take vitamins?

  13. #12
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by ffkjj View Post
    Not sure what minerals your looking for but could you just use a water filter and take vitamins?
    Look at the post, the one directly above yours...
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  14. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,129
    Just get some filtered water, and spend your money/time on a psychiatrist or hypnosis.
    Last edited by Dan Fanelli; 12-14-2010 at 01:36 PM.

  15. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657
    MercuryBlade is a great member. I appreciate your posts.

    I just want to clarify - I am primarily looking for answers on distilled water. Whether or not minerals are needed in water for the body to make optimal use of it, whether or not distilled water "leaches" your body of minerals, and if either of these things are true....can you simply add minerals back in via supplementation?

    It seems obvious that these are myths but I simply don't have the knowledge and can't seem to get to the bottom of it myself through research. I am talking about drinking a gallon or more distilled water for life and giving it to a 13 month old as he should not be getting 1ppm flouride.

    I am personally convinced flouride is not something I want to ingest for a lifetime. The risks associated with it do not make any sense for preventing tooth decay especially when injesting it is not an efficient/effective means of use anyway. There also appears to be some corruption behind water flouridation so I am not exactly confident in the "official" opinion. I do know it's not essential, potentially harmful over the long term and already in toothpaste I use so I see no reason in swallowing small doses of a poison for a lifetime.

    I am interested in the flouride debate so don't consider it a thread hijack, just pointing out my main concern is the distilled water issues I asked about.

  16. #15
    260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Oshawa-->Toronto
    Posts
    0
    I get a 5 gallon or RO with mineral for $3. The machines that re-mineralize are hard to find though.

    This is a VERY good product:
    http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/ConcenTrace_p_1346.html

    The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

  17. #16
    Senior Member BilltheButcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    3,474
    Google: mineral drops. Found a bunch of products. Not sure if this is what you are looking for.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

  18. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    At a slight angle to the universe
    Posts
    1,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    A Britta also won't take care of the chlorine problem, because it's not the chlorine you need to worry about, it's the potentially damaging levels of the byproducts of the chlorine reacting with various organic compounds. There have been some potentially alarming compounds detected in water, but I'm not aware of appropriate exposure levels.
    Doctor, doctor, can you expand on this? Isn't chlorine added to sterilize the water? What are the organic compounds it reacts with and should we be concerned?

  19. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    I get a 5 gallon or RO with mineral for $3. The machines that re-mineralize are hard to find though.

    This is a VERY good product:
    http://www.nutrawayscanada.com/ConcenTrace_p_1346.html
    I see ConcenTrace recommended most frequently and I trust your research. Do you believe that drinking RO or distilled requires the mineral supplementation? If not, is it beneficial at all, counterproductive, or just doesn't matter? Also, I am using a tiny amount of baking soda to get the water PH to 7 - what are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

  20. #19
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Moses Lake, WA USA
    Posts
    2
    I would just begin distilling water if i were you. Any minerals that may be lost can more than likely be found in any number of fortified cereals or a multivitamin.


    EDIT:
    I found this shortly after posting my comment. Don't know how beneficial you will find it but you can read it yourself
    http://www.cyber-nook.com/water/distilledwater.htm
    Last edited by boredguy09; 12-20-2010 at 05:19 AM.

  21. #20
    Senior Member K-R-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    216
    This sounds like an idiotic idea. My recommendation would be to buy a Biology book, for example Campbell's, and read the section on animal cells and how they absorb water. Then read about its dissolving properties. If you still think drinking distilled water, much less A GALLON is not a bad ideas you could think of, then you are lost, as well as risking the health of those that live with you. The minerals in water are essential for its consumption and distilled water is used in chemistry labs, not kitchens or taps.

  22. #21
    cakin Cirino83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,239
    I don't get it. Why not drink bottled spring water?

  23. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657
    Quote Originally Posted by K-R-M View Post
    This sounds like an idiotic idea. My recommendation would be to buy a Biology book, for example Campbell's, and read the section on animal cells and how they absorb water. Then read about its dissolving properties. If you still think drinking distilled water, much less A GALLON is not a bad ideas you could think of, then you are lost, as well as risking the health of those that live with you. The minerals in water are essential for its consumption and distilled water is used in chemistry labs, not kitchens or taps.
    This does not help. If you know something, say it. My research does not back up this statement but I know I do not know everything about this issue yet. The minerals in water are obviously not essential because many people drink distilled water for a lifetime. Also, consider that food has minerals in much higher concentrations than found in water. Then consider that water will be digested with foods.

    Cirino - Bottled spring water almost always has the same 1ppm flouride. Drinking flouride to prevent tooth decay is just asinine.

  24. #23
    Senior Member K-R-M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    This does not help. If you know something, say it. My research does not back up this statement but I know I do not know everything about this issue yet. The minerals in water are obviously not essential because many people drink distilled water for a lifetime. Also, consider that food has minerals in much higher concentrations than found in water. Then consider that water will be digested with foods.
    It's a question of diffusion, osmosis and osmoregulation.


    When you drink normal mineral water, you are drinking an isotonic solution. There is no gain or loss of water in your cells.

    When you drink salt water (from the sea), you are drinking a hypertonic solution. You are shriveling your cells and actually making yourself thirstier, since the sollute concentration is higher than in your cells.

    When you drink distilled water, the opposite happens, you are essentially making your cells gain water and swell. Depending on how much you drink, you can make them burst, even if they're elastic. You're talking about a gallon of laboratory water a day and a 13 month old child, you understand why I think this is not a good idea at all.

    Also, I will be an ass, but since you did your research, you should know it is spelled fluorine and that 1ppm is not a significant amount, especially compared to the amount you will take in eating simple things like breakfast , drinking tea or using dental products. It is also readily absorbed by the skin, so taking a shower would be a no-go as well.

  25. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,129
    I still suggest getting a brita filter and seeing a psychiatrist.

  26. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    657
    KRM - thank you for expanding. I wasn't attacking you just didn't really know where to go with your statement. There are numerous credible well researched sources that recommend drinking only distilled water. I have done research but am not even close to done. For such a seemingly simple issue it turns out to be loaded with all kinds of garbage to sort through. I think at the end of the day I'm going to have to go down your route and understand exactly what happens at a cellular level.

    The making your cells swell and maybe burst seems completely ridiculous. That doesn't mean it's not true, though. What a pain in the ass this is turning out to be. lol. I just wanted to figure out the best possible water I can drink, but I can't seem to do it.

    I am aware of the flouride in other sources which is one of my causes for concern. All this small doses add up to a large dose.

    I have read that flouride is not absorbed through skin from almost every source. I'm beginning to think nobody actually knows and just goes with whatever answer they relate with best.

    According to your understanding - would adding minerals back into the distilled water solve the problem?

Similar Threads

  1. Why Distilled water for cutting weight
    By ScottYard in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-04-2010, 03:57 AM
  2. Drinking 2 gallons of water a day!
    By FighterInSnatch in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 04:09 PM
  3. distilled water
    By mikey4402 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
  4. 1 Gallon of water
    By NormalDude in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 08:50 PM
  5. Drinking a gallon of milk each day... Would it work?
    By jww13 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 04:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •