Thread: Sugar Intake

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Sugar Intake

In a high protien, muscle gaining diet, how much sugar is too much. What is a good daily allowance?

well I'm not the diet guru, but I'll give it a shot:

The only "sugar" you should be having is Post workout, like dextrose. Other than that, try to get most of your carbs from oats, whole wheat bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta.

Sure, some foods contain sugar (like fruit and milk) which are totally okay in a bulking diet, just don't over-do it.
    Height: 5'7"
    Weight: Not Big Enough

“Take things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick.” — Bruce Lee

I agree with St. Patty in that pre/postworkout is probably the best time to take in high GI carbs.

There really is not set amount of sugar that you should be taking in each day, but I have found that I have a lot harder time controlling appetite if I am eating higher GI carbs (sugary carbs). This is one of the main advantages that low GI carbs like oats and veggies have. They are slower digesting which will help keep blood sugar levels more stable, and this will help in overall appetite control.

i agree as well, the only time i usually have sugar in my diet is post workout. but sometimes i end up having a bit of sugar (lactose) from my cottage cheese. but that's basically it. unless you want to count splenda
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

bench, deadlift & eat!!!!! Mic Soloist's Avatar
    i put a little on my oats in the morning, but thats it.

-peace-
    Current Stats

24 years old

5'10 220 pounds

Waist: 38 Shoulders 56 Chest: 47 Arms (cold): 17.5 Forearms: 13.5 Quads: 26.5 Calves: 16.5 Neck: 17.5

PR's

BB Bench: 315 @ 215
    Squats: 410 @ 205 (last winter)
    Deads 515 @ 214
    Total: 1240

My Journal:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...&page=16&pp=25

My AIM: MSOLOIST

Intensity: Lunch comes up! And breakfast! MET- Rx! Egg whites! Hot Stuff! Designer Whey! Yohimbe! Coenzyme Q! L-Carnatine. MTCs. OKG. All immersed in a mixture of stomach acids that peels the ivory off your teeth.

Originally posted by Mic Soloist
    i put a little on my oats in the morning, but thats it.
    haveyou thought about trying a sugar substitute?
    "Eat until it hurts dammit! Then eat more. Youll get used to it. I think its like sex for a chick. Sure it hurts the first time, but after a couple rides it just goes in like a glove." -clvmike19

"... chicks are like smarties. They're different colors but each share the same deliciousness. Its just a matter of deciding if you'll save the red ones for last or eat a bunch of different ones in the same handful." -wibble

Originally posted by bradley
    There really is not set amount of sugar that you should be taking in each day, but I have found that I have a lot harder time controlling appetite if I am eating higher GI carbs (sugary carbs). This is one of the main advantages that low GI carbs like oats and veggies have. They are slower digesting which will help keep blood sugar levels more stable, and this will help in overall appetite control.
    If you were on an very heavy bulk, or if you have a hard time getting in enough cals. Wouldn't high GI carbs be more beneficial since you'll be hungrier.

Originally posted by Behemoth

If you were on an very heavy bulk, or if you have a hard time getting in enough cals. Wouldn't high GI carbs be more beneficial since you'll be hungrier.
    I would say so, for example weight gainers You could drink one of those down and be hungry again in no time. I have also seen so called hard gainer diets that advocate eating white bread and baking potatoes so as not to remain hungry as long.