PDA

View Full Version : High blood pressure!

deeder
12-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I was at shopper's drug mart today with the girlfriend and to kill some time decided to check my blood pressure on that machine that you stick your arm in and hit a button. Here's the results:

Systolic: 146
Diastolic: 74
Pulse: 80

That was after sitting for a couple of minutes. The charts on the machine said that my systolic is in the high range but diastolic is optimal. Pulse seems really high too. Am I gonna die?

No, but seriously.. how worried about this should I be? Will a little cardio get this back to where it should be?

mickyjune26
12-06-2007, 10:17 PM
Mine's been slightly higher since I started my bulk. You bulking now too?

deeder
12-06-2007, 10:21 PM
Mine's been slightly higher since I started my bulk. You bulking now too?

Not officially... Although my weight keeps slowly creeping up.

mickyjune26
12-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I'll be eagerly awaiting an answer too buddy.

TopCat
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Those machines are not always very accurate and often only good to notice changes. So honestly it is hard to say if your real blood pressure is higher or lower. If you are worried about it just go to your Doc's office, it would take the nurse just a minute to give you a real reading. There could be a lot of factors going into it though.

slevan
12-07-2007, 06:22 AM
Those machines are notoriously inaccurate but I would HIGHLY recommend getting your blood pressure checked by you doctor or other healthcare professional. HB is nothing to ignore, so please have it checked.

Slevan

Stumprrp
12-07-2007, 06:57 AM
ive tested mine on those machines and it gave me the same the doctors did, 115/70, your second number seems fine though.

Ryano
12-07-2007, 07:04 AM
Your blood pressure can vary greatly thoughout the day, depending on your activity. If it's consistantly high, it needs to be regulated. I take a ****load of BP medicine. I can't get my arm in those store machines. The sleeve is way to small.

markdk86
12-07-2007, 07:41 AM
No worries Deeder, your diastolic number is fine. Sometimes when I measure mine at the ER for fun when I pass through it's 150/68. High blood pressure is usually when its 140+/100+ (I think, don't remember exactly) for long periods of time.

RhodeHouse
12-07-2007, 07:53 AM
You're fine. Don't worry about that stuff. Do some light cardio 3x per week. Nothing more than walking or riding the bike. Very simple. Don't stress.

Besides, high BP is a good sign. The more unhealthy you are, the stronger you are. No studies done, but it's true. Besides, do you want to live forever?

mickyjune26
12-07-2007, 08:36 AM
You're fine. Don't worry about that stuff. Do some light cardio 3x per week. Nothing more than walking or riding the bike. Very simple. Don't stress.

Besides, high BP is a good sign. The more unhealthy you are, the stronger you are. No studies done, but it's true. Besides, do you want to live forever?

LOL - Rhodes, you always have the funniest posts.

So cardio 2-3x per week would lower the blood pressure and resting heart rate, even on bulk?

C.Pop
12-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Yes it will.

Some supplements will raise it quite a bit. Obviously anything with caffeine or ephedrine. Some prohormones, anything that makes you retain water.

I don't trust those machines. I can't get my arm in them and they always read high for me.

Doing cardio real light 2-4 times per week made a significant difference in my blood pressure.

Hatred
12-07-2007, 09:44 AM
You know those things won't give you an accurate reading if your arm is larger than normal, right?

I can't even fit mine in one. but when I could it almost medevac-ed me to an ER.

BigCorey75
12-07-2007, 10:00 AM
yeah those machines seem to be on pretty well with me, hell i did one last week and it was 115/70 and my pulse was like 62 or something.

I know low blood pressure is not something u expect from a black man...lol, but ive always had low blood pressure all of my life and i plan on keeping it that way.

ah the top number is high and the bottom number is kool, from what i hear the top number is related to exercise and the bottom number is caused by diet, so i would think that adding in some cardio at the end of your workouts will help begin to bring it down some, and it couldnt hurt

and yes you will eventually die, but i dont think your bp will kill you anytime soon.....lol

deeder
12-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll add in some light cardio after my workouts.

markdk86
12-07-2007, 10:34 AM
yeah those machines seem to be on pretty well with me, hell i did one last week and it was 115/70 and my pulse was like 62 or something.

I know low blood pressure is not something u expect from a black man...lol, but ive always had low blood pressure all of my life and i plan on keeping it that way.

ah the top number is high and the bottom number is kool, from what i hear the top number is related to exercise and the bottom number is caused by diet, so i would think that adding in some cardio at the end of your workouts will help begin to bring it down some, and it couldnt hurt

and yes you will eventually die, but i dont think your bp will kill you anytime soon.....lol

Actually the top number is when the heart contracts, bottom when it relaxes. Both numbers can be affected by many things, most importantly exercise, diet, and stress. Both numbers are important but you want to watch the diastolic(bottom) number more.

smokinHawk
12-07-2007, 10:40 AM
for as young as you are and that you work out it doenst seem right, does your family have a history of heart disease? you pulse seems high.
your not taking anything to jack up your blood pressure are you?

my blood pressure is very low, and my blood is also thin (and i dont do much cardio) with a rested pulse at about 60bmp, i dont think i will die of heart disease, rather cancer instead.

KevinStarke
12-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Welcome to the club

TommyBoy
12-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Will a little cardio get this back to where it should be?No, don't do cardio.

my weight keeps slowly creeping up.That's a good thing.
Those machines are not always very accurate and often only good to notice changes. So honestly it is hard to say if your real blood pressure is higher or lower. If you are worried about it just go to your Doc's office, it would take the nurse just a minute to give you a real reading. There could be a lot of factors going into it though.Yeah I'm 335lbs and the doctor says my BP is normal. The machine is obviously f***ed.
Do some light cardio 3x per week.WTF Rhodes....you gone soft or something?

You know those things won't give you an accurate reading if your arm is larger than normal, right?

I can't even fit mine in one. but when I could it almost medevac-ed me to an ER.Yeah I usually put my arm in and get my forearm blood pressure taken. It usually says my pulse is like 10 or something. Not accurate.

drew
12-07-2007, 11:04 AM
If you can fit your arm into that cuff, you need to gain weight.

Your blood pressure is fine.

Yes, you are most definitely going to die. Eventually.

BigCorey75
12-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Actually the top number is when the heart contracts, bottom when it relaxes. Both numbers can be affected by many things, most importantly exercise, diet, and stress. Both numbers are important but you want to watch the diastolic(bottom) number more.

yeah im aware of this as well

but i just rememeber reading somewhere that there was a relationship between stress and the top number and diet and exercise with the bottom number, thats all i was saying

not like i know the true science just mentioning something i remember reading..lol

Jason Pegg
12-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Try niacin at night. You would be surprised what it will do for your bp.

Jason