PDA

View Full Version : is a diet different for a bodybuilder

bass slayer
12-10-2008, 08:38 PM
ive read tons on here how you need to eat tons of food for powerlifting, but i havent heard anything on bodybuilding. when bodybuilding are you trying to cut fat foods out of your diet or what?

I ask this because i want to have the physique of a bodybuilder but i also want to be strong. In both powerlifting and bodybuilding do you gain as much muscle as possible even gaining a little bit more fat, and then cut when you have your weight goal reached?

for my desired goal i do know i need to EAT like crazy still but i just dont want to get really fat.

RichMcGuire
12-10-2008, 09:09 PM
ive read tons on here how you need to eat tons of food for powerlifting, but i havent heard anything on bodybuilding. when bodybuilding are you trying to cut fat foods out of your diet or what?

I ask this because i want to have the physique of a bodybuilder but i also want to be strong. In both powerlifting and bodybuilding do you gain as much muscle as possible even gaining a little bit more fat, and then cut when you have your weight goal reached?

for my desired goal i do know i need to EAT like crazy still but i just dont want to get really fat.

If youre getting really fat, youre eating too much or your drastically upping your kcals instead of building it up slowly.

To get to the size of a bodybuilder, you will need to gain weight. Bulking/cutting for body composition is what bodybuilding is all about. Most bodybuilders accept a little bit of fat gain in the off season and then go crazy precontest to burn off every ounce of fat possible while retaining every ounce of muscle possible.

Its much easier to hit a goal weight and then cut. But again, you shouldnt be adding that much body fat. You may notice a little difference at the end of your bulk but it shouldnt be enough to make you want to keep your shirt on 24/7. You cant forcefeed your muscles to grow. Theres always a limit to how much muscle you can actually put on at a given period of time. Gaining too much bodyfat is the most sure way of telling that you can scale your kcals back while bulking.

bass slayer
12-11-2008, 11:35 AM
im not getting really fat or anything but i guess what your saying is when lifting period, to get muscle you need to eat more calories than you burn no matter if your a powerlifter or a bodybuilder. i need to get the bulk to get muscle and then after i get to my goal i do a cut. correct?

RichMcGuire
12-11-2008, 08:02 PM
im not getting really fat or anything but i guess what your saying is when lifting period, to get muscle you need to eat more calories than you burn no matter if your a powerlifter or a bodybuilder. i need to get the bulk to get muscle and then after i get to my goal i do a cut. correct?

Yes.

cphafner
12-11-2008, 08:07 PM
that's impossible answer. Ask 10 bodybuilders what they eat and you will get 10 different answers. Some stay lean and eat clean. Some bulk up and get fat. No set diet.

RhodeHouse
12-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Real bodybuilders get really big and eat really badly in the off-season. Mass moves mass. Heavier weights mean more muscle. Eat your wheels off and enjoy the fact that you can. Bulking and cutting should be 2 completely different mindsets. Don't worry about getting too fat and having to cut later. Worry about getting huge first. Then, when it's time too cut, worry about how to get rid of it. It's just fat. It's not very hard to lose it. If it is, you're not working very hard.

Mercuryblade
12-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Real bodybuilders get really big and eat really badly in the off-season. Mass moves mass. Heavier weights mean more muscle. Eat your wheels off and enjoy the fact that you can. Bulking and cutting should be 2 completely different mindsets. Don't worry about getting too fat and having to cut later. Worry about getting huge first. Then, when it's time too cut, worry about how to get rid of it. It's just fat. It's not very hard to lose it. If it is, you're not working very hard.

Cutting is easier than bulking IMHO. After all, if you've been sticking to a strict regimen and eating your ass off all winter, you just continue your routine (which should be at this point second nature) and eat less/watch what you eat.

smalls
12-12-2008, 11:18 AM
If youre getting really fat, youre eating too much or your drastically upping your kcals instead of building it up slowly.

To get to the size of a bodybuilder, you will need to gain weight. Bulking/cutting for body composition is what bodybuilding is all about. Most bodybuilders accept a little bit of fat gain in the off season and then go crazy precontest to burn off every ounce of fat possible while retaining every ounce of muscle possible.

Its much easier to hit a goal weight and then cut. But again, you shouldnt be adding that much body fat. You may notice a little difference at the end of your bulk but it shouldnt be enough to make you want to keep your shirt on 24/7. You cant forcefeed your muscles to grow. Theres always a limit to how much muscle you can actually put on at a given period of time. Gaining too much bodyfat is the most sure way of telling that you can scale your kcals back while bulking.

Great post.

bass slayer
12-12-2008, 12:52 PM
alright thanks for the responses guys.

My mom doesnt understand though why you just dont get big lifting weights and shes been telling me that shes worried ill get to fat. i guess ill have her read this thread to understand. Thanks again.

joey54
12-12-2008, 03:43 PM

What he said!

CrazyK
12-12-2008, 09:06 PM
No real difference when trying to gain mass. The training and competition diet are where PL and BB differ.

AJ_H
12-13-2008, 11:32 AM
alright thanks for the responses guys.

My mom doesnt understand though why you just dont get big lifting weights and shes been telling me that shes worried ill get to fat. i guess ill have her read this thread to understand. Thanks again.

because muscle is made from a material - that material is food. You literally damage the muscle lifting weights (or rather cause tiny microtears) and repair it with good nutrition and rest. Just tell her that.