PDA

View Full Version : PRed squat after 3 months of not being able to tie my shoes

mchicia1
05-08-2009, 07:13 PM
So heres the short version...

Bout 5 months ago I noticed some pain in my back...this pain got significantly worse gradually up until a month or so ago. I couldnt even bend down to tie my shoes and definitely could not squat. I even spent a couple hundred dollars on physical therapy which did nothing...so I stopped going to that. What did I do? Well I did this stretch amongst others for the last 2-3 months:

http://www.exrx.net/StretchImages/GluteusMaximus/SeatedGlute.jpg

I figured out that my back pain was caused by tight glutes which in turn caused tight hamstring which in turn were pulling on my lower back.

I started back easy doing starting strength at about 205 pounds 2 months ago. I got up to around 260 or so at the end of the month..feeling pretty good. Then this last month I decided to jump to the bill starr 5x5 because starting strength was too much volume at this much weight...

Today I did 280 3 times and it felt like NOTHING. And I am even getting back into deadlifts too..did 315 5 times last wednesday. There is some mild discomfort in my back but definitely not like it was. It is more of a numb feeling than any kind of pain and it is localized to one area. The doctor was sure it was a herniated disc but I didnt feel like spending 800 on an MRI (I havent met my yearly deductible yet).

Man I am so psyched right now...I cant wait to be doing 315 for reps.

One thing though, my bench wont budge...I just cannot get past 240ish for 5 reps....I think after i hit 315 5 times on squat, I will do 30 pounds in 30 days then switch back to 5x5.
:strong:

dynamo
05-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Pretty sweet dude. It may not be a good idea with a herniated disc but at some point you may want to introduce good mornings into your routine. When done right they really blast your back and i've always gotten a good stretch in the glutes and hammies.

mchicia1
05-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Yup...I will definitely get those into my routine...right now I am working up slowly by doing reverse hypers and 90 degree bent over rows...The bent over rows do both my lower back (stability) and my upper back (pulling).

mchicia1
05-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Decided I am going to keep updating this til I hit 315 squat 3 times.

Well this friday I am going for 290...

Today I deadlifted 340, 5 times (conventional) and it felt very light. I was pretty pleased. I am, however, afraid to lift any heavy weights without my belt...is this going to affect my overall strength in the long run? I really dont thing its worth it to risk my back. I realize good form is the best insurance...but I like to have even more insurance wearing the belt.

mchicia1
05-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Today did 285 x 5 on squat...was actually pretty hard today. I think I am beginning to plateau. Maybe I just need to eat more. But if I do plateau, 30 lbs in 30 days here I come.

mchicia1
05-27-2009, 08:09 AM
PR again last night...

290 x 5 on sqauts.
255 x 5 on deadlifts the previous week.

Going for 265 x 5 deads on thursday and 300 x 3 on saturday. Getting so close to 315...