Pertinent Info

23 years old
5'10''
205lbs
13-15%bf

325 x3 OLY Squat (Sept 18, 2009)
245 x5 Pendlay Row (Sept 18, 2009)

Hurt Back (inflamed discs)

In effort to work around a pestering back injury I am dramatically scaling back the "strength" training and doing something like this:

Im going to progress ridiculously slow on the squats and start somewhat conservative. I am combining Crossfit and Crossfit Football in which Ill be using SS, then TM, then Madcow progression for the SWOD (strength workout of the day). I am going to progress very slowly for a while on linear increases until I feel more confident. CF recommends 4-6 days of WODS and CF Football has a strength WO then a WOD 4-6 days a week. So, I hope 3 days a week like this will be doable.

DWOD =CF Football Daily Workout of the Day
WOD =CF Workout of the Day

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volume:
Squat
DWOD
WOD

Recovery:
Plyo Circuit (4 movements at about 5x5) (on a 6 week cycle)
DWOD and/or WOD (one of which is a Clean and Jerk Based WO)

Intensity:
Squat
DWOD or WOD
4x 40m Sprints, 2x 100m Sprints, 1x 400m Sprint

Pre WO: Mobility work, CNS prep

Post WO: 15min SS (eliptical, track, stair, row machine), Foam Rolling, Static Stretching

Squat Loading Pattern- (M,F,M,F) 7x3, 5x5, 4x8, 3x12, start over 5-10lbs heavier

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since CF and CF football do not operate on a 3 day M/W/F schedule, like I prefer, I have to improvise. I will be picking and choosing the DWODs and WODs from within a day or two of the actual WO day. This lets me use a 3 day split and lets me have somewhat of an option when it comes to the kind of (D)WOD Ill be doing and work around potential combinations that could prove haphazard. IE: no snatching after heavy squats.

Tomorrow begins "Recovery" day. I am really looking forward to such a dramatic change in pace.

brihead301
09-30-2009, 07:07 AM
You sound just like me man. Once I hit 325 on squats, I started to really f*** s*** up in my back. I had to reset, and I've never made it back up to 300 again since. See, with squats I really take things slow. The 5/3/1 is working nicely for me since I only increase by 5 lbs./month yet I'm still shooting for rep PR's every session. For my back's sake, there is no rush to get my squat numbers super high.

It happened when I was on the TM too, because I was so agressive in my weight increases (10 lbs./week). My back just wasn't ready for it.

Good luck though man.

ZenMonkey
09-30-2009, 08:46 AM
Yea, Bri, sounds like Im following your lead!

Everything today was abbreviated, my cardio shape is not very good right now.... time to fix that.

Plyo Circuit x2 times through
Jump Tuck x5
Single Leg Bounding x5 each leg
Long Jumps x5
Speed Box Jumps x10

DWOD x2 times through
45lb Squat Thrusters x5
Knees to Elbows x5

WOD x2 times through
35lb KB Swings x10
Pullups x5

Off Road
09-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Same thing happened to me when I hit over 300 with 20 reppers. BAM! I'd be laid up for a couple of weeks. I think mixing things up more has helped me.

Anyways...I wish you luck on your new routine. You should definately get to be a conditioned son-of-a-gun.

Coke
10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Good luck with the new plans, you should bounce back well and then some down the line.

ELmx479
10-02-2009, 05:48 AM
I am surprised your back at it already, how is the back??. Good luck with the new training style, we all need a change sometimes.
I am also sitting out with a lower back injury and I can't wait to lift again.

ZenMonkey
10-02-2009, 10:08 AM
OLY Squat easy, felt great on the back... very pleased
225 x 3x5

DWOD: Volkswagen
21, 15, 9 of
135lb Bench
Pullups

Same thing happened to me when I hit over 300 with 20 reppers. BAM! I'd be laid up for a couple of weeks. I think mixing things up more has helped me.

Anyways...I wish you luck on your new routine. You should definately get to be a conditioned son-of-a-gun.

Thanks man!

Good luck with the new plans, you should bounce back well and then some down the line.

Gracias Coke! I hope thats what happens!

I am surprised your back at it already, how is the back??. Good luck with the new training style, we all need a change sometimes.
I am also sitting out with a lower back injury and I can't wait to lift again.

Yea, me too. I just recovered real quick from the day I re-hurt it. Today felt great, so Im just gonna keep it slow and easy. Thanks for the kind words Elm!

borracho
10-02-2009, 02:30 PM
What is this DWOD Volkswagen?

tomv
10-02-2009, 05:00 PM
DWOD = Daily Workout of the Day

"Volkswagen" is a named benchmark workout from CF Football.

Coke
10-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Liking those squats, pullups, and all dude.

ZenMonkey
10-05-2009, 12:16 PM
OLY Squat
3x5 @ 225

WOD
21, 15, 9, 3 rep rounds of:
Power Clean 95lbs
Situps
GHR
(Time: 20 minutes +/- 30 seconds)

DWOD
3 rounds:
1/2 Gasser (40 yd Sprint, touch floor, 40 yd sprint)
10 Pushups
30sec Rest

Fun WO today. Im still holding back from going full tilt on the (D)WODs. The volume is about 60% of what is prescribed and my intensity level is around 60% of what I am capable of. Probably next Monday Ill be going on all cylinders, maybe sooner if I continue to recover well and if my back stays in check.

What is this DWOD Volkswagen?

Its the name of the WO. They have all kinds of goofy names (Cindy, Helen, Nasty Girls, Quarter Gone Bad, Workout gone Bad, etc...)

DWOD = Daily Workout of the Day

"Volkswagen" is a named benchmark workout from CF Football.

Thanks!

Liking those squats, pullups, and all dude.

Thanks for your continued encouragement Coke!

tomv
10-05-2009, 12:28 PM
Are you intending to do two WOD's as well as strength work every day Zen? If so, is there a reason?

ZenMonkey
10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Are you intending to do two WOD's as well as strength work every day Zen? If so, is there a reason?

Monday is 3x5 Squat + a DWOD + WOD

Wed is Plyo circuit + DWOD and/or WOD

Friday is Squat 3x5+ DWOD or WOD + Sprints

So 2 days of very low volume lifting (ie 1 single movement), and 4(min) - 5(max) WODs in a 3 day period (+ some random plyo and sprints)
-----------

My justification is this:

CF Football recommends 4-6 days of a strength WO and a DWOD.

CF recommends 5-6 days of WOD

I figure 3 days arragned how I have them might work. Also, I used to swim on an elite level (All American in 100 Fly and back stroke and 400 IM and 500 free) and it doesnt take much training to shine up my cardio abilities... so Im thinking I can handle the cardio volume since I can handle a large workload or aerobic activity. Since it is the cardio that is pushing the volume envelope I have the room to have more than less.... hopefully.

What were you thinking?

Also, if anyone has any input, I have been considering loading my squats like this:

3x5, 5x5, 4x8, 3x12 (M, F, M, F) then moving up weight (10lbs) and doing the same cycle. So Id be on 225 for all of those rep ranges (2 weeks), then 235, etc...

This may be an odd/bad/dumb idea, but it will keep me from moving up weight too fast and might be fun. Any thoughts on that?

tomv
10-06-2009, 05:27 PM
My apologies, I thought you had intended to do both strength work and two WOD's 3 times a week. I personally felt that would maybe be a bit much, however your current plan looks great.

ZenMonkey
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Still not to full tilt yet... getting closer.... today was about 70% effort and 70% of prescribed volume.

Plyo Circuit - 3 rounds
Start Jumps to 42'' box x5
Tuck Jump x5
Single Leg Bound 40 meters per leg
Bounding Long Jumps 40 meters

WOD #1 Power Jerk 1+1+1+1+1+1+1
135 x4
145 x2
155 x1

WOD #2: Fat Helen - 3 rounds
55lb KB swing x21
12 Strict Pullups

Notes:
So much fun to have something different everyday to WO with. The basics are static (squatting, plyos, sprints) but the meat of the WO is unpredictable and thereby exciting and challenging for me, all the while still progressing on my squats.

WOD #1 was too light, I should have gone 30-40lbs heavier.

WOD #2 I called "Fat Helen" because "Helen" has a 400 meter run in the circuit, which I didnt do.

Coke
10-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Nice seeing you go at it this way, you'll be full throttle soon enough.

Off Road
10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
"Fat" Helen...LOL
Doing different things is a lot of fun.

brihead301
10-08-2009, 08:46 AM
Very interesting workout here. Pylometric stuff is pretty cool. I do a lot of that in my MMA, but it's not a HUGE focus.

Cards
10-08-2009, 03:17 PM
ok zen, when are the big lifts coming out. i better see some squatting soon where you're moving 315 around like it's a warmup.

This isn't I "Wanna Be crossfit" :evillaugh:

ZenMonkey
10-10-2009, 03:48 PM
OLY Squat
5x5 @ 225 - still easy... ready to move up weight at a consistent rate... I think

DWOD
5 Rounds:
Hand Stand Pushups x8 (used toes on wall for balance)
Ring Pullups x8
Decline Situps x8
36" Box Jump x8

Nice seeing you go at it this way, you'll be full throttle soon enough.

Yessir!

"Fat" Helen...LOL
Doing different things is a lot of fun.
You bet man, Im lusting for "strength training" again....

Very interesting workout here. Pylometric stuff is pretty cool. I do a lot of that in my MMA, but it's not a HUGE focus.
I agree. I love plyos. Right now the 6 week circuit I am running has movements that are used to increase running acceleration, start speed, and top speed. Next 6 weeks Ill work on change of direction/ foot dexterity, jump height and jump duration and beyond that probably go back and forth between them all.

ok zen, when are the big lifts coming out. i better see some squatting soon where you're moving 315 around like it's a warmup.

This isn't I "Wanna Be crossfit" :evillaugh:

Soon my friend, soon. My back is doing much better so I can at least begin moving up weight in my 5x5. After that Ill probably drop to 7x3 twice a week then back to something like Texas Method, although, Ill probably only load it like that for squats, as I am loving being in great condition and seems like a good way to avoid future back injuries since my back is already not well off, its just gonna be a slow process (intentionally so).

ZenMonkey
10-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Good stuff today. Squats are going well on the back, which I am extremely grateful for. I think Ill go for 265 x 3x5 on Friday and begin increasing from there at 5- 10lbs on Mondays and Fridays... still unsure on how fast I want to progress... I can probably handle 10lb jumps 2x a week but dont know how my back will take it.... we will see!

OLY Squat still light feeling
3x5 @ 245

DWOD - Weighted Pullup -1RM (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)
BW+ 50 lb DB x1
BW+ 60 lb DB x1
BW+ 70 lb DB x1
BW+ 80 lb DB x1
BW+ 90 lb DB x1
BW+ 100 lb DB x1
BW+ 110 lb DB x1 - nice!

WOD- Elizabeth - 21 - 15 - 9 reps of:
135lb Clean
Dips

borracho
10-12-2009, 01:01 PM
Nice workout zen..squats are looking good! And I dont even know what to say about your pull ups..other than you're a bastard!

Off Road
10-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Holy cr@p on the Pull Ups dude :omg:

brihead301
10-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Ya man, definately some impressive pulling strength - bw + 110!!! damn.

ZenMonkey
10-14-2009, 11:38 AM
DWOD: 3 rounds of:
9x Power Cleans & Split Jerks @ 175lbs
400 meter row

Plyo Circuit: 4 rounds of:
Flexor Deload + Start Jumps onto 42'' box x5
Jump Tucks x5
Single Leg Bounding x 40 meters per leg
Long Jump Bounding x 40 meters

WOD
3.2 Kilometer Run (3200 meters/ 8 times around track)

Well, Im beginning to feel the benefits of my hybrid Crossfit/CF Football/SS routine. BF % is down, body weight is static, strength is increasing and cardio ability is increasing. Not to mention I am seeing benefits of the gymnastic portion of CF in other areas of training and daily life. I feel good.

Nice workout zen..squats are looking good! And I dont even know what to say about your pull ups..other than you're a bastard!

Thanks B! Haha, I got lucky with pulling strength... not much else! I guess thats what years of swimming does.

Holy cr@p on the Pull Ups dude :omg:

Thanks OR!

Ya man, definately some impressive pulling strength - bw + 110!!! damn.

Thanks Bri!

Coke
10-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Doing great with the rounds and all Zen.

tomv
10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Well, Im beginning to feel the benefits of my hybrid Crossfit/CF Football/SS routine. BF % is down, body weight is static, strength is increasing and cardio ability is increasing. Not to mention I am seeing benefits of the gymnastic portion of CF in other areas of training and daily life. I feel good.

That's good to hear mate, hope everything keeps running smoothly.

ZenMonkey
10-16-2009, 04:57 PM
OLY Squat
3x5 @ 255

WOD: 3 Rounds of
Snatch +OH Squat @ 50% BW x3
10 Pullups

Sprints
40m x 6

Took it easy on the sprints today, dont wanna step into them too fast. Other than that it was an easy WO.

Also, I was approached today by the head trainer at the university gym. We talked a bit about what she sees me doing and I got offered a job as long as I pass the Cooper test for personal training. I only have to take the test and not the course, so I can just go study up with their material and go smoke that thing and then have a job! I didnt have to do anything and it just fell in my lap... what luck!

Right now I am out of work, as I begin grad school full time in the spring. I dont really need work right now but it sure will be fun and some extra cash can't hurt. She told me they dont have enough male trainers to work with male clients, so I should be getting a bunch a college dudes wanting to get jacked. Hopefully I can rep the WBB with some awesome client results. Ive seen what the other trainers do... its gonna be a stark contrast to what Im going to do. Ima gonna shake things up!:evillaugh:

Off Road
10-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Squats and snatches...nothing but good stuff there.

tomv
10-16-2009, 11:13 PM
That looks like a great workout mate, I will have to start writing a few of these down as around late November I want to start cutting/getting a bit more conditioned.

Coke
10-17-2009, 08:39 AM
Good deal on the personal training gig, that came out of the blue and is a nice surprise.

tomv
10-17-2009, 02:44 PM
You might be interested by this (http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article//the_litvinov_workout;jsessionid=687C3AC2E48FECC8DD88DC00F1633C3E.hydra) workout ZenMonkey.

ZenMonkey
10-17-2009, 06:39 PM
20 min jog with intermittent sprint bursts.

Its was 65 and sunny, what a wonderful day.

Squats and snatches...nothing but good stuff there.

You know it man! I love snatching.

That looks like a great workout mate, I will have to start writing a few of these down as around late November I want to start cutting/getting a bit more conditioned.

Thanks man! Check out crossfit.com and their football site, they post the WODS daily.

Good deal on the personal training gig, that came out of the blue and is a nice surprise.

Thanks Coke! It really did come out of the blue, it should be fun and a great learning experience.

You might be interested by this (http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article//the_litvinov_workout;jsessionid=687C3AC2E48FECC8DD88DC00F1633C3E.hydra) workout ZenMonkey.

Thanks Tom! Haha, you can call me Michael.

tomv
10-18-2009, 03:23 AM
Cheers Michael, I actually used to do Crossfit and still train at a Crossfit Gym. You just seem to pick good WOD's haha.

ZenMonkey
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks Tom! Since Im on a 3day routine I have the comfort of being able to use my discretion with the WODs, but I only give myself the choices from the past 2-3 WODs. So, its somewhat of a choice but not much.

CF gyms are great, Ive don a few WODs with some seasoned crossfitters and it was tough. I train at a few different places depending on what Im doing, one is my univ gym, another is the univ athletic gym, and the last is Crossfit: Plano "The Pound". CF Plano is where my USAWL coach is, and I see him from time to time but not lately because Ive been building up my squat. Which CF are you at?

OLY Squat
3x5 @ 265

DWOD: 5 rounds for time:
7x 225lb DL (prescribed weight was 315)
21x Jump Rope Skips

WOD: 4 rounds for time
7x Pullups
21x Sumo DL Highpulls @ 95lbs (then 15x for round #2, then 9x for #3, then 3x for #4)

One hell of a WO. The DWOD was brutal and the WOD would have been easy were it not for the DWOD. I haven't been timing myself, just going as fast as I can. Once I feel Im good enough Ill track and post my times.

Off Road
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
You can call that session the "kangaroo" :evillaugh:
Very nice work. Lots of effort.

Coke
10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Those type efforts are huge and can't be taken for granted, props on 'em.

tomv
10-20-2009, 03:04 AM
That DWOD does look brutal indeed mate. If you aren't posting your times make sure you are at least recording them for comparison's sake.

I train at Crossfit Norwest which is in Sydney, Australia. Having access to a USAWL coach sounds awesome haha.

hug dog
10-20-2009, 09:31 AM
looking good. Good idea to scale back on weight and focus on health. I should have done that instead I just quit working out. Bad idea. haha

brihead301
10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
I may look into crossfit. It definately looks like a fun challenge each day. Nice sessions Zen!

borracho
10-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Looks like a brutal session zen!

ZenMonkey
10-21-2009, 11:08 AM
DWOD -Power Clean and Jerk- heavy singles
195lbs x 3 singles
185 x 5 singles
175 x 10 singles

Plyo Circuit: 3 rounds
Start Jumps to a 42'' box x5
Tuck Jumps x5
Single Leg Bounding - 40m per leg
Long Jump Bounding- 40m

WOD (3 rounds: Decreasing reps -15, 9, 3 & increasing weight 25, 35, 45)
Pullups x15 + 25lbs
Dips x15 + 25lbs
Decline Situps x15 + 25lbs

Pullups x9 + 35lbs
Dips x9 + 35lbs
Decline Situps x9 + 35lbs

Pullups x3 + 45lbs
Dips x3 + 45lbs
Decline Situps x3 + 45lbs

-------------------------------------------------
Done and done. Good and hard WO.

You can call that session the "kangaroo" :evillaugh:
Very nice work. Lots of effort.

Hey, funny guy! Thanks OR!

Those type efforts are huge and can't be taken for granted, props on 'em.

Thanks Coke!

That DWOD does look brutal indeed mate. If you aren't posting your times make sure you are at least recording them for comparison's sake.

I train at Crossfit Norwest which is in Sydney, Australia. Having access to a USAWL coach sounds awesome haha.

Youre right, I should be timing... Ill get on that. Thanks Tom!

looking good. Good idea to scale back on weight and focus on health. I should have done that instead I just quit working out. Bad idea. haha

Nice to see you round again HugDog. Thanks for stopping by!

I may look into crossfit. It definately looks like a fun challenge each day. Nice sessions Zen!

You be ace at it man. Its a ton of fun though. Thanks!

Looks like a brutal session zen!

Hey B! Thanks man!

Coke
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
Serious business there bro, doing great.

borracho
10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
jesus. That WOD workout...I dont know what to day...that seems like A LOT of work...awesome work zen

Off Road
10-21-2009, 01:37 PM
That's a ton of work. I'd get tired just typing it.

tomv
10-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Good sessions Mick, make sure you've got some low volume days in for these massive ones though mate haha.

hug dog
10-22-2009, 07:37 AM
your pullups get me everytime! Sweet work out

ZenMonkey
10-23-2009, 11:24 AM
OLY Squat
275 x5, x3, x3

Litvinov Sprints x3 rounds w/ unlimited rest between rounds:
OH Squat @ 40kg x8
"Spartan Fire outs" (Sprint Starts with bands) x3

Sprints
40m x3
100 x1

Wow. Tomv suggested Litvinov Sprints, so I gave em a try... holy hell. The band sprints felt like I was running through mud. Squats fell short today... Ill try em again on Monday. Great WO!

Serious business there bro, doing great.
Thanks Coke!!

jesus. That WOD workout...I dont know what to day...that seems like A LOT of work...awesome work zen

Thanks Borracho! It was alot looking back, at the time it didnt seem so...

That's a ton of work. I'd get tired just typing it.

Thanks OR!

Good sessions Mick, make sure you've got some low volume days in for these massive ones though mate haha.

Tom... I hate you and your damn Litvinov Sprints. They were horrible... and wonderful.

your pullups get me everytime! Sweet work out

THanks huggins!

Coke
10-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Wow man, all that **** had to be intense.

ZenMonkey
10-26-2009, 11:50 AM
Sick with sinus and chest congestion. No WO today.

Off Road
10-26-2009, 11:52 AM
get better

borracho
10-26-2009, 07:35 PM
****ty dude..get better man being sick sucks. I know I'll bitch every once in a while about how it'd be nice to get sick so I can stay home but thats a bunch of malarkey...get well man.

-JM-
10-27-2009, 04:28 AM
Zen you seem to be really into this new training. Good deal man.

Hope your chest and sinus clears up quick too. RFF! Rest Fluids Food

brihead301
10-27-2009, 07:04 AM
S*** hopefully it's not the swine flu. I'm just waiting to get it, because I figure at least 90% of the population will get it within the next year. Scary stuff...Hope you get better though, and hopefully it's just a cold.

ZenMonkey
10-27-2009, 05:55 PM
get better
Thanks OR!

****ty dude..get better man being sick sucks. I know I'll bitch every once in a while about how it'd be nice to get sick so I can stay home but thats a bunch of malarkey...get well man.
I hear ya man, thanks alot.

S*** hopefully it's not the swine flu. I'm just waiting to get it, because I figure at least 90% of the population will get it within the next year. Scary stuff...Hope you get better though, and hopefully it's just a cold.
Nope, no swine flu.. thank goodness. Thanks man.

Zen you seem to be really into this new training. Good deal man.

Hope your chest and sinus clears up quick too. RFF! Rest Fluids Food
Thanks Flynn!!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the encouragement and good mojo. I promise to stop by your journals and check up soon... Ive just been tired and lazy.

I almost never get sick... less than once a year. But, I went to the doc today and was diagnosed with: bronchitis, sinus infection, ear infection and tonsilitis.... $100 worth of prescriptions and antibiotics (even with insurance) later and Im feeling dried up and drugged up. Hopefully Ill get in a WO by Friday.

On the brighter side, I have dropped another point in BF and am up 3lbs according to the doc's scale! 204lbs and 12%! Also, my girlfriend felt bad for me over the last few days and made me homemade crab cakes, pot roast, and chicken noodle soup. Sometimes being pathetic pays off.

Auburn
10-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Hope you enjoy the Crossfit stuff. I require a solid 90 seconds between reps. Hard stuff, all that moving around.

ZenMonkey
10-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Hope you enjoy the Crossfit stuff. I require a solid 90 seconds between reps. Hard stuff, all that moving around.

Hahaha.. I LOLed. Id need a week to recover from a 100kg snatch... BEAST.

tomv
10-28-2009, 06:58 AM
Hey Mike, hope you're on the mend mate. When you are feeling a bit better, mind having a squizz at my journal? I've posted up a new routine that I want to follow which is meant to be "Texas Method", and seeing as though you wrote a massive sticky on it... well uh ;-) Thanks mate.

ZenMonkey
10-28-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey Mike, hope you're on the mend mate. When you are feeling a bit better, mind having a squizz at my journal? I've posted up a new routine that I want to follow which is meant to be "Texas Method", and seeing as though you wrote a massive sticky on it... well uh ;-) Thanks mate.

Done and done. No problem, hope I helped. :)

ZenMonkey
11-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Back in the saddle again! I feel slow and weak, but what can one expect after a 2 week bout with h1n1. I ate 1000cals above maintenance but still lost 15lbs.

-----------
Mobility, dynamic stretching

Snatch + OH Squat
40kg x 5x2

Squat
185lbs x 3x5

BO Row
185 x 3x5

DWOD (abbreviated... should have been 21, 15, 9 for time)
21x
Pullups
55lb KB Swings
Knees to Elbows

Foam Roll, Static Stretching

-----

Good to be back. Time to buckle down and see if I can't get stronger and to 8-10%bf by New Year.

Off Road
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Woohoo...Zen's back :)
Good session. Love the overhead squat combo. The overhead squat humbles my flexability.

brihead301
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Damn dude the swine flu really got you huh?? I woke up today feeling like s***. It wouldn't suprise me if I have it too...this sucks.

ZenMonkey
11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Woohoo...Zen's back :)
Good session. Love the overhead squat combo. The overhead squat humbles my flexability.

Haha... thanks man! My coach always had us try to do an OH squat after our snatch to really solidify the stability and dominance of that weight. It works rather well except for max effort attempts.

Damn dude the swine flu really got you huh?? I woke up today feeling like s***. It wouldn't suprise me if I have it too...this sucks.

Yea man. I got bronchitis, sinus and ear infection and swine flu all at the same time. It was horrible and knocked me on my butt for a little over two weeks. My girlfriend got swine flu and pnemunoia and she was in the hospital for a few days. I really hope you don't have it.

Coke
11-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Sorry to hear of your plight, glad to see you're bouncing back..it's gonna take a while to be back to normal.

tomv
11-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Good to see you back massive.

ZenMonkey
11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Clean and Jerk
5x2 @ 60kg - drop down is real slow, gotta work on that... it might be from the soreness from Monday though, cause my snatch drops were pretty good.

Squat
3x5 @ 205lbs

Pullups
3x5 @ BW+45lbs

DWOD
15, 9, 3:
Knees to Elbows
55lb KB Swings
Dips

So, I used to smoke fairly often and it was really affecting my ability to get through a WO quickly. I stopped when I got sick and havent started back up... todays WO time: 45 minutes (not including warmup and cooldown). It was great! Although Im still a bit out of shape from the illness it was really nice to feel strong and fast through the entire WO. I think Im gonna quit smoking permanently from now on... its just not fun anymore and the benefits I get from not are really outweighing the costs. Maybe Ill try some brownies or something from time to time instead.

I dont know how good of an idea it is for me to be doing this GPP as Im really focusing on strength again. Maybe I should just do some intense cardio for 20 minutes instead of the WODs... eh, I think Ill keep it up until my numbers begin suffering... Im so weak now it probably doesnt matter.

Sorry to hear of your plight, glad to see you're bouncing back..it's gonna take a while to be back to normal.

Thanks Coke! Yea, itll take some time, but hopefully squatting 3x a week and adding 5-10lbs a session will get me to a decent working weight soon.

Good to see you back massive.

Thanks Tom!

brihead301
11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
I smoked for years and years. I quit for like 6 months once, and I was pretty serious into lifting then too (not like I am now though). I didn't really realize how much it affected me until I started back up again. I was literally about to puke during a workout that I was normally able to do no problem.

Now, I've been off the cigs for 4 years...I can't even imagine how much different things would be for me if I still smoked. You don't really realize how much healthier you when not smoking until you go back.....so ya, I'd suggest commiting to the quitting.

Nice session!

tomv
11-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Jesus Christ mate you smoked? Get rid of the bloody fags!

As far as conditioning vs. strength gains, I imagine went numbers do start to slow down you could just lose 1-2 of the conditioning workouts week?

Off Road
11-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Zen, your pullup power is FREAKY :eek:

As far as conditioning goes, you've given so many guys great advice, I'm sure you can figure out what to do :evillaugh: But, I don't think conditioning has to take away from strength gains, I think it can add to it by increasing work capacity and recovery. You'll figure it out...

Cards
11-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Damn dude those pullups are crazy. You said you use to smoke, i'm curious what you were smoking lol. I would focus on strenght rather then GPP. Get strong first.

ZenMonkey
11-11-2009, 07:21 PM
I smoked for years and years. I quit for like 6 months once, and I was pretty serious into lifting then too (not like I am now though). I didn't really realize how much it affected me until I started back up again. I was literally about to puke during a workout that I was normally able to do no problem.

Now, I've been off the cigs for 4 years...I can't even imagine how much different things would be for me if I still smoked. You don't really realize how much healthier you when not smoking until you go back.....so ya, I'd suggest commiting to the quitting.

Nice session!

Yea, it was getting to where I would be on the verge of puking almost every GPP session. F all that. Thanks for the personal anecdote man, Ill take your advice!

Jesus Christ mate you smoked? Get rid of the bloody fags!

As far as conditioning vs. strength gains, I imagine went numbers do start to slow down you could just lose 1-2 of the conditioning workouts week?

Yea, I did... Im in a creative writing field and study some real trippy stuff at a liberal arts school, whatd you expect? haha. Good call on parring down like that, once a week should be enough as long as I keep intensity high during the WO.

Zen, your pullup power is FREAKY :eek:

As far as conditioning goes, you've given so many guys great advice, I'm sure you can figure out what to do :evillaugh: But, I don't think conditioning has to take away from strength gains, I think it can add to it by increasing work capacity and recovery. You'll figure it out...

Thanks OR! I got lucky with pulling strength, I used to be an All American 5A swimmer and a top USS swimmer for a long time, so I better be good at pulling huh? I used to be able to rep out 100lb pullups for 5... I really want to get back there.

Damn dude those pullups are crazy. You said you use to smoke, i'm curious what you were smoking lol. I would focus on strenght rather then GPP. Get strong first.

Thanks Cards! Have you heard that Rick James song "Mary Jane"? I like the coolio version too, if you catch my drift. Cant be too careful what we say on the interwebz.

ZenMonkey
11-13-2009, 10:30 AM
Mobility work, Dynamic Stretching

Snatch + OH Squat
5x2 @ 45kg

OLY Squat
3x5 @ 225lbs

Incline DB Press
3x5 @ 75lb DBs

Sprints
4 x 40 yards - work up to 80%
4 x BB Court 1/2 Gasser
2 x BB Court Full Gasser

Foam Roll, Static Stretching

-----------
Great WO. Feeling stronger and faster. Good to be back and healthy!

Off Road
11-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Sneaking those squats back up there :thumbup:

-JM-
11-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Snatch + OH Squat
5x2 @ 45kg

Yikes, I hate those things. OH squat alone even.

Nice sessions Zen. Glad youre getting back to feeling strong again!

Lol I didnt pin you for puffin' the herb on a regular basis.

LuNa
11-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Good to hear everything is getting back in line. Great that you have stopped smoking! Keep it up.

Coke
11-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Great WO. Feeling stronger and faster. Good to be back and healthy!

Sounds super, obviously doing much better these days Zen.

ZenMonkey
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Clean and Jerk
5x2 @ 65kgs

OLY Squat
3x5 @ 235lbs

BO Row
3x5 @ 195lbs

WOD - 3 Rounds:
6x Turkish Get-ups w/ 35lb KB (3x per side)
10x Pullups
40yard Farmers Walk w/ 85lbs in each hand
10x Decline Situps w/ 85lb DB

Great WO. Rising from the clean was slow and I attribute that to wussy squat #s right now. On the brighter side, Im starting to breathe some fire with those WODs and it feels pretty damn good. Ive been building my own WODs to be sure not to over tax certain areas (back, squats, OLY movements, jumps) so I can keep progressing on squats and OLY stuff.

Sneaking those squats back up there :thumbup:

You betcha!

Yikes, I hate those things. OH squat alone even.

Nice sessions Zen. Glad youre getting back to feeling strong again!

Lol I didnt pin you for puffin' the herb on a regular basis.

Thanks Flynn! Yea, I was a regular smoker. I really got into using it for meditative purposes but it eventually got out of hand and happened too often. Read the Tibetan Book of the Dead sometime and tell me it doesnt sound like those guys were tripping balls! haha!

Good to hear everything is getting back in line. Great that you have stopped smoking! Keep it up.

Thanks man! It feels good to be clean and have that out of my system!

Sounds super, obviously doing much better these days Zen.

Thanks Coke!!

Off Road
11-16-2009, 02:09 PM
That looks like a fun WOD. Some day I have to figure out how you guys do multiple quotes in your replies.

brihead301
11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I definately dig the oly lift + crossfit combo that you do.

Coke
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Like the way you're stepping to it man, looks good.

borracho
11-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Glad to see things moving along again bud....and big congrats on ditching the smokes....best PR to date.

Clover
11-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Great pull ups Zen, any tips on progressing with them? I can't even do 3x5...although I've gained 15 pounds since I last did them in a workout.

That looks like a fun WOD. Some day I have to figure out how you guys do multiple quotes in your replies.

Just press on the button next to quote for every post you want to quote, it should turn red. Then press reply.

tomv
11-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Good workouts Zen, what sort of BW are you moving around at nowadays? Whereabouts in US do you live?

ZenMonkey
11-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Yea, it was fun.. tough, but fun. Gonna get some more on Wednesday.

I definately dig the oly lift + crossfit combo that you do.

Thanks man! Hopefully Ive struck a decent balance. Call me out if you see it getting sketchy.

Like the way you're stepping to it man, looks good.

Thanks hoss!

Glad to see things moving along again bud....and big congrats on ditching the smokes....best PR to date.

Thanks B! You da man!

Great pull ups Zen, any tips on progressing with them? I can't even do 3x5...although I've gained 15 pounds since I last did them in a workout.

Thanks for stopping by man! Ya know, I just do em consistently. I used to swim on a high level which gave me a leg up on pulling strength. Just keep at it man!

Good workouts Zen, what sort of BW are you moving around at nowadays? Whereabouts in US do you live?

Thanks Tom! Im 200lbs at 12ish % bf... I dont know really, I can see the top 4 abs though. Im in Dallas, Texas. Only 2 more years though... Im going to UT Austin, Penn State or U of California at Irvine for my doc. Finally... out of Dallas. What about yourself? BW?

tomv
11-18-2009, 12:50 AM
You bastard!

I'm about 220-225 with dunno %bodyfat. I can't see abs, but I'm by no means a fatass (IMO). I'll be doing a cut in December so I'll post some pics up over the weekend probably as a reference.

I live in Syd, Australia and will hopefully be visiting Texas mid next year. I'll have to try and pay you a visit when I come over. Hopefully going to Wichita Falls, Killeen and dunno where else.

ZenMonkey
11-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Snatch + OH Squat
5x2 @ 50kg

OLY Squat (deload)
3x5 @ 225

Pullups
3x5 @ BW +55lbs

15min SS Cardio

700lb Tire Flips
2 fails at the knee to shoulder rack
1 success

So, Im gonna ditch the Crossfit stuff and the additional OH squat after the snatch for a while, as I felt weak going into my squats and I blame that on recovery. Im just gonna do some SS cardio after WOs to burn off some FFAs and maintain some kind of conditioning. I also, today, had to get rid of one of the tires in my garage... (motorcycle needs space). I still have a 350lber so still have something to throw around. But, I can barely get the big one up... I used to rep it out 15-20 times... weak sauce.

My girlfriend saw this icon and thought it was funny and insisted on me adding it... so... :outnumber:

You bastard!

I'm about 220-225 with dunno %bodyfat. I can't see abs, but I'm by no means a fatass (IMO). I'll be doing a cut in December so I'll post some pics up over the weekend probably as a reference.

I live in Syd, Australia and will hopefully be visiting Texas mid next year. I'll have to try and pay you a visit when I come over. Hopefully going to Wichita Falls, Killeen and dunno where else.

Yea man, hit me up if youre around Dallas. We can train or just grab a beer or something. Are you going to WFAC or CF Wichita Falls? Rippetoe is at one and Glenn Pendlay is at the other.

Auburn
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Good work. Flipped a tire for the first time a few weeks ago. Would be great if I had one handy.

Are you going to WFAC or CF Wichita Falls? Rippetoe is at one and Glenn Pendlay is at the other.

Pendlay is actually out at California Strength, now.

Off Road
11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you have things figured out...I knew you'd come up with the right solution :)

tomv
11-19-2009, 05:34 AM
Yeah I wanna hit up WFAC and if Pendlay was there at the time that'd be cool too. Good work on the pullups you strong bugger.

What do you do for diet mate?

brihead301
11-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Nice man! Ya, the more experienced you get, the better you are able to figure out how your own body works as far as recovery and work capacity goes....Have you ever met Rip or Glenn before?

ZenMonkey
11-19-2009, 08:46 AM
Good work. Flipped a tire for the first time a few weeks ago. Would be great if I had one handy.

Pendlay is actually out at California Strength, now.

I didnt know that... I think I heard they had a falling out but Im not sure.

Sounds like you have things figured out...I knew you'd come up with the right solution :)

Thanks man... you knew that was gonna happen huh?

Yeah I wanna hit up WFAC and if Pendlay was there at the time that'd be cool too. Good work on the pullups you strong bugger.

What do you do for diet mate?

Thanks man! For diet I run a very basic Calorie Cycle with some attention to carb cycling, but not strict by any means. Im at 3000 on lifting days and 2500 on off days. Once my bf% levels out (Im getting leaner everyday right now) Ill probably keep cals the same but buckle down on the carb cycling to try and not drop too far below 190-195lbs. I just want to see 6 abs and by my calculations that is 4-6lbs of fat away. Ugh... when I put it like that it sounds like so much.

Nice man! Ya, the more experienced you get, the better you are able to figure out how your own body works as far as recovery and work capacity goes....Have you ever met Rip or Glenn before?

Thanks Bri! I actually held an internship with Rip for 6 weeks while I was planning to get a MA in Kines... awesome learning experience and is probably why I am so obsessed with his style. We got into a disagreement over 2 things: Conventional DL form VS Clean Form and why he insists on the Clean being at the end of the WO. We agreed to disagree... haha.

tomv
11-19-2009, 03:21 PM
I just want to see 6 abs and by my calculations that is 4-6lbs of fat away. Ugh... when I put it like that it sounds like so much.

I actually held an internship with Rip for 6 weeks while I was planning to get a MA in Kines... awesome learning experience and is probably why I am so obsessed with his style. We got into a disagreement over 2 things: Conventional DL form VS Clean Form and why he insists on the Clean being at the end of the WO. We agreed to disagree... haha.

You held an internship with Rippetoe? You bastard! I'm trying to plan a way that I can come and live in the US for 6-8 weeks and just hang out and train at his gym. Maybe drive around the Yooessovay for a while and see what there is to see.

I liked your music selection for your set too mate, we'll have to hang out when I come over.

Oh and as far as fat loss goes, here's Tom's handy-dandy tip. For weight lifted, use pounds. For weight loss, use kilos!

Man 150kg is rough. (sounds ok but... only 150kg?)
Man 330lbs is rough. (Damn man, in the 300's!)

Or

I have to still lose 4-6lbs (gosh that sounds like a lot).
I have to lose about 1.5-2.5kg (better! :clown:)

ZenMonkey
11-19-2009, 07:53 PM
Yep, interned with him. I also interned with Vic Viloria of SMU Football S&C, Rick Flemming of USAWL Texas Region, and Crossfit Plano. Like I said, I was planning on going into Kinesiology and lined up a bunch of internships and banged them out within 6 months or so. Each one lasted about 2 months and in the process I got certified for CSCS and USAWL. In July I was all set to go to Florida to intern with Elliot Hulse for 2 months when I had a dramatic change in career goals. I didnt want the life of a trainer and felt I was wasting my intellectual ability... so I am now going into grad school for English/Philosophy.

If youre down here hit me up! Ill surely find something fun to do!

----Ok... I want some input from you fellas...

I may have already made up my mind but am still on the bubble.

I am thinking of changing my setup even more so I can just focus on my squat. Training for OLY is useless, in my opinion, unless I have a big ass squat to begin with. I mean, seriously... what good is it going to do me to struggle with a 50kg snatch and 70kg clean and jerk and then be tired when it comes time for my squat session? It seems like a futile effort.... when instead, I could get my squat to 350+ much easier. Once I get my squat respectable I think it will be appropriate to begin OLY lfiting again. Once it is high enough I will begin needing to focus on Front squats more. But thats too far away.... which is the point of all of this... Im too far away to be doing the OLY stuff now, plain and simple. Here is what Im thinking:

A:
Squat
Row
DB Press

B:
Squat
Pullup
RDL

OR

M:
Squat
Row
DB Press

W:
Squat
Pullup
OH DB Press

F:
Squat
Pendlay Row
RDL

My dilemma is not being sure if my back can handle the AB split. With the three day split my back gets a break on Wednesday but the down side is slower progression on the other lifts. But.... I dont really care about the other lifts like I do the squat... so I might be leaning toward the 3 day. My back is chronically sore and I dont want to push it more than it needs... thoughts? opinions? jokes?

ELmx479
11-19-2009, 08:09 PM
I would go with the M,W,F split. Go easy on the squats on Wed to give your back a break which i'm sure you are going to use the Texas Method template with your squats. Are you going to compete in oly lifting some day?

ZenMonkey
11-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I would go with the M,W,F split. Go easy on the squats to give your back a break which i'm sure you are going to use the Texas Method template with your squats. Are you going to compete in oly lifting some day?

Im actually piss weak right now so Ill be progressing using WO to WO style (ala Starting Strength)

I hope to compete. I have spent a very very long time on form over the past 2 years. I was coached by Tommy Kono a few times and regularly by Rick Flemming. I got to a 100kg Clean and Jerk and 80kg Snatch... then hurt my back doing RDLs too heavy. Im still mad at myself for that dumbass mistake. If you own the SS book there is a picture of exactly what I did in the DL injury section. It shows a spine compressing the discs because of over pulling at the end of the pull.

ELmx479
11-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Im actually piss weak right now so Ill be progressing using WO to WO style (ala Starting Strength)

I hope to compete. I have spent a very very long time on form over the past 2 years. I was coached by Tommy Kono a few times and regularly by Rick Flemming. I got to a 100kg Clean and Jerk and 80kg Snatch... then hurt my back doing RDLs too heavy. Im still mad at myself for that dumbass mistake. If you own the SS book there is a picture of exactly what I did in the DL injury section. It shows a spine compressing the discs because of over pulling at the end of the pull.

Nothing like a back injury to ruin everything. That really sucks and I know what you mean. That would be awesome to compete in oly lifting. I went to the Arnold last year and got to see the oly lifting in person for the first time and it was an awesome experience. I actually enjoyed it more than anything else, well other than some of the women there :nod:

ZenMonkey
11-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Yea, female WLers are sexy. I train at a OLY facility and there are a couple there who.... are fun to watch :evillaugh: Ill say this... they sure know how to use their hip power in magical ways. ;) ...great way to finish a WO.

LuNa
11-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Yea, female WLers are sexy. I train at a OLY facility and there are a couple there who.... are fun to watch :evillaugh: Ill say this... they sure know how to use their hip power in magical ways. ;) ...great way to finish a WO.

I wish there was more of that at my gym. All i get to look at after a WO is guys curling in MY squat rack.

borracho
11-19-2009, 09:54 PM
I dig the MWF setup myself...

Anyway....good luck mate..hope this helps get ya on track!!

Off Road
11-19-2009, 10:06 PM
If I wanted to squat 3 times a week, but I also wanted to give the back as much rest as I could, I'd use a push/pull split. This is how I'd set up two weeks:

Mon,
Squat
RDL
Chin-Ups

Wed
Squat
Db Press
OH Db Press

Fri
Squat
Chin-Ups
1 arm Row

Mon.
Squat
Db Press
OH Db Press

Wed.
Squat
RDL
Chin-Ups

Fri.
Squat
Db Press
OH Db Press

This is going to give your back the most ammount of recovery and still alow you to squat 3 times a week. You'll notice that you would only be Deadlifting once a week. You are basically alternating the RDLs and Rows, which kind of work the same muscles in the upper back, but the rows won't attack your lower back as much, especially if you use a Torso Supported 1 Arm Db. Row.

ZenMonkey
11-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks guys. I am rethinking the RDLs after today. They felt great! I dont know what it was but I was sore in my back until I did the RDLs. My back has felt fantastic all day and I am flaberghasted (sp?). I think I might do somehting like this

Squat / BO Row / RDL / DB Press

Squat / Pullup / OH DB / Situps

Squat / Pendlay Row / RDL

Today's

OLY Squat
3x5 @ 235

Pendlay Row
3x5 @ 205

RDL
3x5 @ 225

Off Road
11-20-2009, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear it's feeling good. I hope it holds up :)

Cards
11-20-2009, 07:26 PM
nice rowing and squats bro, glad to hear your back feels well these days..I liked the routine you described, you starting that in the near future?

Sidior
11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
I like the new routine, straight and simple. Nice work in here brah.

-JM-
11-21-2009, 04:15 AM
New routine looks solid Zen. GL!

Coke
11-21-2009, 08:34 AM
New plan ought to work out well for you dude.

brihead301
11-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Hell ya man! Stayin true to the full body still! I had to change it up after a while, because I decided that I progressed much better by dedicating a day to each main lift, but it looks like you're doin just fine with it! Full body is no joke. Keep that s*** up dude!

ZenMonkey
11-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Glad to hear it's feeling good. I hope it holds up :)

Thanks man, I appreciate your input on the setup!

nice rowing and squats bro, glad to hear your back feels well these days..I liked the routine you described, you starting that in the near future?

Thansks Cards! I started it yesterday actually. Just something revolving around the squat so I can get back to OLY lifting seriously.

I like the new routine, straight and simple. Nice work in here brah.

Thanks man, I wish you would have stopped by when I had something impressive to show off :) . Soon enough... just gotta handhold my body back to where its been before.

New routine looks solid Zen. GL!

Thanks Flynn!

New plan ought to work out well for you dude.

Thanks Coke!

Hell ya man! Stayin true to the full body still! I had to change it up after a while, because I decided that I progressed much better by dedicating a day to each main lift, but it looks like you're doin just fine with it! Full body is no joke. Keep that s*** up dude!

Thanks man! I could care less about my other lifts, all I want is my squat back... so... everyday is squat day!!!!! I find I progress pretty well squatting frequently. I dont know how long Ill be able to maintain WO to WO progression, but I hope I can get to 335 x 3x5 with this style. (3pps + 10lbs for good measure!). 100 more lbs... 10 more WOs? Maybe!! Hopefully!!

tomv
11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Flabbergasted is how I have always seen it spelt.

I have nothing else constructive to add. :P

jed
11-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Man... You have to tell me when you guys go off and make new journals. I've been back for a few weeks now thinking you were taking a break from training or something :O I see youre still doing the Olympic business, good deal. Thinking about switching your program up now back to non olympic though? I'm hitting up Westside now and I love it - I can't recall what you were following pre-Olympic, but its worth a shot if youre looking for something new brotha.

jed
11-23-2009, 12:25 AM
Man... You have to tell me when you guys go off and make new journals. I've been back for a few weeks now thinking you were taking a break from training or something :O I see youre still doing the Olympic business, good deal. Thinking about switching your program up now back to non olympic though? I'm hitting up Westside now and I love it - I can't recall what you were following pre-Olympic, but its worth a shot if youre looking for something new brotha.

ZenMonkey
11-23-2009, 01:54 PM
OLY Squat
3x5 @ 245

BO Row
3x5 @ 205

Flat DB Press
3x5 @ 75lb DBs

Good WO. Working in 5s for my squat is taking a toll on me since Im so used to working in triples. Im not sure how long Ill continue working in 5s since my goal is in singles, doubles and triples for OLY. I might be wasting effort and time by working in 5s... what do you guys think? Maybe moving to 5x3 rather than 3x5. Thoughts?

Nice to see you again Jed! Yep, I am addicted to OLY lifting, probably a lifetime sport for me. My routine is just to get my squat bigger as a means for OLY lifting. WS progresses a little too slow for me right now since I can advance 2- 3x a week right now because Im currently so weak. As soon as Im squatting 350+ Ill start cleaning and snatching regularly.

Off Road
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
10 lb jump on the squat...way to step up :thumbup:
Hope the back is still okay...

Coke
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Triples may serve you better since that is what you seem to be in preference of...you can do a bit of both if it comes to that.

jed
11-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Good work my man. Still got any videos rollin'? I think 5x3 would work better since you prefer it. Youre not losing volume and you would never need to be conditioned for 5 rep sets if that's not what your ever gonna do.

Sidior
11-23-2009, 08:44 PM
If lower reps suits your goals then go for it. Overall volume is the same anyways.

Clover
11-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Nice squatting Zen. I like fewer sets so I can get out of the gym faster but if you've got time, might as well increase your strength in the rep range you like.

-JM-
11-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Nice squattin' ZM.

Either way its 15 reps but with the triples you might keep them neater. Just with having injured your back previously.

brihead301
11-24-2009, 08:50 AM
OLY Squat
Maybe moving to 5x3 rather than 3x5. Thoughts?

Nope, if it's hard DO IT! If I have a choice of something that I feel would be an easier alternative, like doing 5 x 10 deads @ 50% rather then 4x10 heavy front squats, which are a b****....I'll choose the front squats. They are killer, they are harder, and they beat the living crap out of me...the light deads are a walk in the park, so I go with what's harder.

That is the mentality I advise. It's just my opinion though.

borracho
11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice squats and rows bud!! ...always impressed with your back strength.

Auburn
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Good work, man.

I like fives and threes. Just go with what your back likes.

ZenMonkey
11-25-2009, 11:03 AM
OLY Squat
255 x5
255 x4 (failed in the hole on 5th rep)
255 x3 (last rep was slow)
255 x0 (failed in the hole right off the bat, not in it mentally)

Pullups
3x5 @ BW + 65lbs

OH DB Press
3x5 @ 50lb DBs

Decline Situps
3x5 @ 90lb DB

Ok, here is my dilemma. Im gonn astay working in 5s but Im not sure how to treat this plateau. Please weigh in for me

1------------------------
Deload Options- Deload to 245 or 235. Considering I handled 255 decently today and just deloaded 5% last week I think a 5% deload might be enough but by that same token 5% might be too little. 10% is probably safe but I just deloaded 5% last week.

2-----------------------
Progression Options-
1. Increase by 5lb increments rather than 10.
2. Move from 3x5 to 5x5 for squats.

I am considering doing either or both. If I were a complete novice Id just do option 1, but since Ive been here before and am more of an intermediate backtracking, I might require more volume to advance. Im not sure if I should do both or just do #1, then when I plateau again add #2 to #1. This is about where I began Texas Method last time but I really think I can get more out of novice progression, as the weight is still a bit light for TM.

Thoughts on both of these?

10 lb jump on the squat...way to step up :thumbup:
Hope the back is still okay...

Thanks man.. Back is good, sore as usual (not muscular soreness), but good.

Triples may serve you better since that is what you seem to be in preference of...you can do a bit of both if it comes to that.

Thanks man, Im still up in the air abou it.

Good work my man. Still got any videos rollin'? I think 5x3 would work better since you prefer it. Youre not losing volume and you would never need to be conditioned for 5 rep sets if that's not what your ever gonna do.

Havent videoed in a while... too weak. Thanks Jed!

If lower reps suits your goals then go for it. Overall volume is the same anyways.

Thanks Sid!

Nice squatting Zen. I like fewer sets so I can get out of the gym faster but if you've got time, might as well increase your strength in the rep range you like.

Yea... I may have spoken too soon about 3s... I need to get stronger in 5s for a solid base I thnk.

Nice squattin' ZM.

Either way its 15 reps but with the triples you might keep them neater. Just with having injured your back previously.

Thanks buddy!
Yea... Ill think it over.

Nope, if it's hard DO IT! If I have a choice of something that I feel would be an easier alternative, like doing 5 x 10 deads @ 50% rather then 4x10 heavy front squats, which are a b****....I'll choose the front squats. They are killer, they are harder, and they beat the living crap out of me...the light deads are a walk in the park, so I go with what's harder.

That is the mentality I advise. It's just my opinion though.

Thanks for the kick in the ass bri!

Nice squats and rows bud!! ...always impressed with your back strength.

Gracias Senior Borracho

Good work, man.

I like fives and threes. Just go with what your back likes.

Thanks friend!

Auburn
11-25-2009, 11:51 AM
I like using as little volume as possible. I say deload another 5%, then progress in smaller increments as long as possible. Eating enough to put on weight?

ZenMonkey
11-25-2009, 11:54 AM
I like using as little volume as possible. I say deload another 5%, then progress in smaller increments as long as possible. Eating enough to put on weight?

Im dieting down very slowly (less than 1lb every 2 weeks). That could be contributing but my diet is superb right now.

jed
11-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I think you should increase in 5 lbs or even less if possible. Even if you only do +two lbs a week, but hit it every week, thats 8 a month. 24 a quarter. 96 in a year! You'd need some patience and dedication which I know you have, but I think that'd be a good way to try it out.

ZenMonkey
11-25-2009, 06:41 PM
I think you should increase in 5 lbs or even less if possible. Even if you only do +two lbs a week, but hit it every week, thats 8 a month. 24 a quarter. 96 in a year! You'd need some patience and dedication which I know you have, but I think that'd be a good way to try it out.

If it comes to that I might, but I should be able to advance quicker, especially at the weight Im at now.

Notorious
11-25-2009, 06:47 PM
I would just do 5lb jumps. 15lbs a week (I think you're squatting 3x?) is still phenomenal progress in the grand scheme of things. When that stops working, do 3x5 back squats on Monday and Friday and 3x5 front squats on Wednesday. The lighter weight of front squats kind of gives your body a break, plus it's useful for your sport anyways.

ZenMonkey
11-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I would just do 5lb jumps. 15lbs a week (I think you're squatting 3x?) is still phenomenal progress in the grand scheme of things. When that stops working, do 3x5 back squats on Monday and Friday and 3x5 front squats on Wednesday. The lighter weight of front squats kind of gives your body a break, plus it's useful for your sport anyways.

Hey man, nice to see you around again!

I think Ill do that. Ill be jumping on Texas Method when I can no longer sustain WO to WO progress. Ill give your idea a try first when I cant progress 3x5 3 times a week before moving to TM, good call mate. Thanks! You still training OLY?

ZenMonkey
11-27-2009, 12:17 PM
OLY Squat
3x5 @ 245

Pendlay Row
3x5 @ 215

Conventional DL
Worked up to 295 x 5

Squats were great, rows were fun, DLs felt AMAZING. I keep on being drawn to the standard SS template minus the BB pressing, so today, I said "**** it" and did some DLs. I havent done them in sometime and they were great, so you guys might be seeing stuff that looks more like SS than what I originally intended. I need to stop changing things around though, this I know. Ive been playing it conservative with my back but lately it has felt great and Ive been training by ear, more or less just to keep my back healthy. Today felt super strong and smooth, so I am quite pleased.

Off Road
11-27-2009, 12:24 PM
AWSOME...it's great to see you starting to push it again...keep that back healthy.

-JM-
11-27-2009, 05:31 PM
You are being careful with your back and all which is great, but you will completely forget about it soon enough and PRs will fall like it never happened.

Hitting the basics too, you cant really go wrong eh?

Coke
11-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Good deal with the deads and all man.

borracho
11-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Nice to hear about your back man...seems like your regaining confidence in your body which is good. Workout looked good man...keep it up!

jed
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Sounds good with your back dude, gaining confidence is one of the best feelings you can get. Keep it up.

ZenMonkey
11-30-2009, 01:02 PM
OLY Squat
3x5 @ 250 lbs

Power Clean
5x2 @ 176 lbs

BO Row
3x5 @ 205 lbs

Flat DB Press
3x5 @ 80 lb DBs

Good stuff today. Squats felt solid, not as explosive as Id like, but Ill take it! My ascent slows down a few inches above parallel.

AWSOME...it's great to see you starting to push it again...keep that back healthy.

Thanks man! It feels good to get more aggressive with the iron.

You are being careful with your back and all which is great, but you will completely forget about it soon enough and PRs will fall like it never happened.

Hitting the basics too, you cant really go wrong eh?

Im already hitting 5rep PRs, so that is great, but nope, nothing wrong with back to basics!

Good deal with the deads and all man.

Thanks Coke

Nice to hear about your back man...seems like your regaining confidence in your body which is good. Workout looked good man...keep it up!

Thanks Borracho!

Sounds good with your back dude, gaining confidence is one of the best feelings you can get. Keep it up.

Thanks Jedster!

Off Road
11-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Good job Zen...keep it up, the rows are already looking HEAVY.

Coke
11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Very nice effort all around bro.

tomv
12-01-2009, 02:11 AM
You played your gig yet mate? If so, how'd it go?

Oh and uh... nice... weightlifting.

brihead301
12-01-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm impressed with those power cleans man! That is one hard lift to do.

Notorious
12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Hey man, nice to see you around again!

I think Ill do that. Ill be jumping on Texas Method when I can no longer sustain WO to WO progress. Ill give your idea a try first when I cant progress 3x5 3 times a week before moving to TM, good call mate. Thanks! You still training OLY?

Nah, I still do Oly lifts from time to time but just getting stronger in general is my main goal at this point. I had a bunch of different injuries that set me back quite a bit, so now I'm actually back on a program similar to SS as well.

Good work in here!

borracho
12-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Very nice work Zen....glad to hear the squats are coming along. How'd the back hold up after all that stuff?

ZenMonkey
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Alright...so Im really into lucid dreaming and the study of consciousness in the buddhist/neoplatonist light, so I put a good deal of weight into what my subconscious says. I had a dream last night that I hurt my back because I continued to use SS and woke up freaked out that it happened. Fell back asleep and dreamt about.. using the Texas Method... hahaha. I got to the gym today and felt real sketchy going into my squats so decided to do a recovery style front squat session. I think it would be in my best interest to slow down and move over to a more advanced progression. The past 3-4 times Ive been squatting this much I have had to move to TM or something similar. I thought Id be able to ride WO to WO gains longer but I dont think its wise to push it like that. I think Ill use something like Madcow, which is Texas Method with a small spin on intensity day. After I hit my max I do a drop set and that about covers the difference.

BW- 200lbs and 12-13%bf

Front Squat
5x3 @ 155

DL
1x5 @ 315

Pullup
3x5 @ BW + 75lb DB

OH DB
3x5 @ 55lb DBs

Sorry I havent been around, lots of band stuff going on. We have been in the studio recording almost constantly for the past 2 weeks. Our gig went great and we now have 5 more lined up in the next 2 months. Im pumped. We have 2 shows in Austin and 3 in Dallas. I also am in the middle of a 1969 Stratocaster rebuild and a 1969 Marshall Half Stack rebuild, which both are taking lots of time (and money)

Good job Zen...keep it up, the rows are already looking HEAVY.

Thank OR!

Very nice effort all around bro.

Thanks COke!

You played your gig yet mate? If so, how'd it go?

Oh and uh... nice... weightlifting.

Haha, thanks buddy

I'm impressed with those power cleans man! That is one hard lift to do.

Thanks Bri, they were probably too heavy for me to progress consistently... so... shot myself in the foot there.

Nah, I still do Oly lifts from time to time but just getting stronger in general is my main goal at this point. I had a bunch of different injuries that set me back quite a bit, so now I'm actually back on a program similar to SS as well.

Good work in here!

Sorry to hear about that man! Im in the same boat... just trying to get strong again.

Very nice work Zen....glad to hear the squats are coming along. How'd the back hold up after all that stuff?

Thanks B! Back is consistently sore, but Im dealing with it... it used to be much much worse.. for about a month I was hobbling around like an old man. It sucked!

Off Road
12-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I've never had a weightlifting dream that I can think of. Maybe it's your CNS talking to you in your sleep :)

borracho
12-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Nice workout....front squats are always a challenge for me. The sore back thing sucks...I hate how I end up walking when I (re)injure my back...it amplifies my fat guy waddle by about 50x.

Coke
12-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Sorry I havent been around, lots of band stuff going on. We have been in the studio recording almost constantly for the past 2 weeks. Our gig went great and we now have 5 more lined up in the next 2 months. Im pumped. We have 2 shows in Austin and 3 in Dallas. I also am in the middle of a 1969 Stratocaster rebuild and a 1969 Marshall Half Stack rebuild, which both are taking lots of time (and money)

Wow man, all that sounds super!! - Good luck.

tomv
12-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Good to hear life's cranking along nicely Zen, good luck for the new TM program.

ZenMonkey
12-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Did some talking with Rippetoe last night about what the hell is going on with my squat numbers. We spent a while talking about it and possible possibilities outside of my back.

Ive been forgetting Ive been doing OLY squats... not conventional squats involving hip drive. I think Im gonna change that up and throw Front Squats in the SS routine somewhere.

Sweet!!

I've never had a weightlifting dream that I can think of. Maybe it's your CNS talking to you in your sleep :)

Hahaha... My dreams are always very very vivid. I keep a dream journal and it makes really brings them to life!

Nice workout....front squats are always a challenge for me. The sore back thing sucks...I hate how I end up walking when I (re)injure my back...it amplifies my fat guy waddle by about 50x.

Thanks man! Yea, back stuff blows.

Wow man, all that sounds super!! - Good luck.

Thanks Coke!

Good to hear life's cranking along nicely Zen, good luck for the new TM program.

Thanks Tom!

james_w8lifter
12-03-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for posting in my journal. I just read through your journal and you've made great progress! By the way, I feel your pain on the low squat numbers bro, yours are higher than mine though. Oh well, let's just hit it hard and get those #'s up together!!!

ZenMonkey
12-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Thanks for posting in my journal. I just read through your journal and you've made great progress! By the way, I feel your pain on the low squat numbers bro, yours are higher than mine though. Oh well, let's just hit it hard and get those #'s up together!!!

Thanks man! I was repping 325 a few months ago and messed up a disc soon thereafter (in journal titled "Whomp there it is!") . Just gotta handhold my body back where it has been before... pain in the butt though.
:hello:

Auburn
12-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I've thought often about how the effects of the SS progression would change by using the high bar squat. I'm not sure I agree with Rippetoe's assessment of the high bar squat as being a leg press, since the load is on the back, and thus requiring the extension of the hips and fighting to maintain that difficult angle when the weight gets heavy. Of course, there are pluses and minuses to both, and I did build most of my squatting strength (back when it was actually decent) using the low-bar squat. But, I think the high bar squat has more carryover to the low bar squat than the other way around. It took a while for my quads to catch up, but after a year or so of only training the high bar squat, I did the low-bar style one day and matched my old PR. I don't know, but Pendlay thinks that's true also. Rip's new board is nice, though. Do the posts go up automatically, or does he approve them all individually like he did at Strength Mill?

One thing that I did when my low-bar squat began to stall was modify SS to Back squat one day, front squat one day, overhead squat one day, using the same 3x5 scheme and weight progression. Got me a few more weeks out of it.

ZenMonkey
12-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I've thought often about how the effects of the SS progression would change by using the high bar squat. I'm not sure I agree with Rippetoe's assessment of the high bar squat as being a leg press, since the load is on the back, and thus requiring the extension of the hips and fighting to maintain that difficult angle when the weight gets heavy. Of course, there are pluses and minuses to both, and I did build most of my squatting strength (back when it was actually decent) using the low-bar squat. But, I think the high bar squat has more carryover to the low bar squat than the other way around. It took a while for my quads to catch up, but after a year or so of only training the high bar squat, I did the low-bar style one day and matched my old PR. I don't know, but Pendlay thinks that's true also. Rip's new board is nice, though. Do the posts go up automatically, or does he approve them all individually like he did at Strength Mill?

One thing that I did when my low-bar squat began to stall was modify SS to Back squat one day, front squat one day, overhead squat one day, using the same 3x5 scheme and weight progression. Got me a few more weeks out of it.

I basically agree with this. There is no hip drive in the highbar squat so it makes it feel and look more like a leg press. Thats the biggest difference I will be changing in my squats. Im gonna try to maintain progressing 3x a week with this, then do Fronts on wed, then probably take your advice.... then Texas Method again.

Tomorrow should prove to be fun since Ill be using a stronger squat position... Im looking forward to dominating that iron!

Off Road
12-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Im looking forward to dominating that iron!We are looking forward to you doing that :)

ZenMonkey
12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
We are looking forward to you doing that :)

Haha, thanks man! Hopefully I can do some 10lb jumps for another few weeks. :shoot:

tomv
12-04-2009, 01:44 AM
Giddyup Zen!

ZenMonkey
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Conventional ATG Squat -- Started lighter on these, as I was trying to get acclimated to driving through the heels and using hip drive... gotta say, they did go up as strong as I wanted them to. Ill chalk it up to new form
3x5 @ 225

Power Clean + 2 Front Squats
8 sets @ 155

Bench Press Woo hoo, no shoulder pain and 185 went up nice and easy. F those dumbells! Time to get serious about my pressing.
3x5 @ 185

BO Row
3x5 @ 215

Today went good considering I was relearning how to conventional squat and the first time Ive used a power position bench press (as opposed to lying flat on the bench). Im a bit disappointed in the squat numbers, but it is a new form for me and it was difficult to keep the weight on my heels... I kept wanting to push my knees forward and move the weight to the balls of my feet. I think Ill be able to make 10lb jumps for a good 2-3 weeks with a more powerful position. I spent a lot of time and reps with 135 working on form. No biggie... the first step toward serious squat numbers.

Off Road
12-04-2009, 01:42 PM
Looks like Zen is catching the power lifting bug :) Good session.

ELmx479
12-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I think it's awesome you finally bench pressed today. I would like to see what kind of progress you can make with that. As for the squats, how much different is the oly squat vs. a basic squat? I am not even sure what I call my squats :eek: High bar, close stance I imagine.

Coke
12-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Good deal on tweaking your form with the squats...solid workout guy.

ZenMonkey
12-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Unsure about the new squat position. Back is more sore today than usual. The OLY squat protected my back by letting me stay upright and arched more... not sure if its just a new position or if I need to stick to OLY. :confused:

Looks like Zen is catching the power lifting bug :) Good session.

Hahah.. no, you'll never take me alive :outnumber: .

I think its best to get cockdiesel before getting serious into OLY again. That seems to be an older trend, like Paul Anderson. My oly technique is pretty solid... just gotta get strong.

I think it's awesome you finally bench pressed today. I would like to see what kind of progress you can make with that. As for the squats, how much different is the oly squat vs. a basic squat? I am not even sure what I call my squats :eek: High bar, close stance I imagine.

Thanks man! A year ago I couldnt BB Press from separating my shoulder from rugby but it felt great yesterday. Im happy to be moving a BB rather than DBs.

OLY Squat= No hip drive, upright position, bar high

Conventional ATG Squat= All about hip drive, less uprght, bar low

Good deal on tweaking your form with the squats...solid workout guy.

Thanks Coke!

Guido
12-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Hey, welcome to Mod Land, dude! :hello:

ZenMonkey
12-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey, welcome to Mod Land, dude! :hello:

Thanks Chief!

borracho
12-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Nice squatting and pressing buddy...nice to hear the shoulders held up to the presses!

ZenMonkey
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
My back was hurting from the new squats. Im gonna stick with OLY squats for a while, they just protect my back better even though they are harder to do than conventional squats.

OLY Squat
3x5 @ 225

Bench Press
3x5 @ 195

DL (ugh, forgot my chucks at home... DLed in OLY shoes...a definite difference in leverage)
1x5 @ 315

Pullup
3x5 @ BW+85lbs

Nice squatting and pressing buddy...nice to hear the shoulders held up to the presses!

Thanks B!

Off Road
12-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Smart move Zen. Protect that back. We don't want to see you out of lifting again.

Coke
12-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Way to be training smart...pulled off a fine session dude.

james_w8lifter
12-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Strong ass pull-ups guy

borracho
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
DAAAAMN! Dude..those pull ups are ****ing E-mazing!! Sucks about the squat issue but at least ya got an alternative under your belt that you know you can get away with.

jed
12-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Scary business about that dreaming, man. I myself am interesting in that stuff, just don't really have the concentration to try to delve deeper into actually experimenting with that stuff. Good workouts the past few days... Keep doing what you think you need to do to get your squat up but also keeping that back safe!

LuNa
12-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Great to see you benching again. You put so much thought in your training, im sure it will lead to greatness. Do you have any videos of yourself squatting? Im pretty sure i could pick up a thing or two looking at you.

-JM-
12-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Bench Press
3x5 @ 195

Whaaaa? Nice job Zen. I dont think I have ever seen benching in here!!

brihead301
12-09-2009, 06:37 AM
I'm suprised that you find doing oly squats easier on the back then low-bar squats. I started with oly squats before reading SS, and I was always in some sort of pain, whether it was my knees, my shoulders/traps, etc...Nice sessions though, do what you gotta do to get er done.

ZenMonkey
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
OLY Squat
3x5 @ 235

Power Clean
5x2 @ 185

OH BB Press
3x5 @ 115

BO Row
3x5 @ 225

Great WO. First time doing OH BB in a long time and it felt great. Good day.

Smart move Zen. Protect that back. We don't want to see you out of lifting again.

Thanks man!

Way to be training smart...pulled off a fine session dude.

Thanks Coke!

Strong ass pull-ups guy
Thanks James!

DAAAAMN! Dude..those pull ups are ****ing E-mazing!! Sucks about the squat issue but at least ya got an alternative under your belt that you know you can get away with.

Haha, thanks B! Yea, Im glad I can do some form of squatting!

Scary business about that dreaming, man. I myself am interesting in that stuff, just don't really have the concentration to try to delve deeper into actually experimenting with that stuff. Good workouts the past few days... Keep doing what you think you need to do to get your squat up but also keeping that back safe!

Thanks Jedster!

Great to see you benching again. You put so much thought in your training, im sure it will lead to greatness. Do you have any videos of yourself squatting? Im pretty sure i could pick up a thing or two looking at you.

No videos lately, I really should though. Itd be good to see if my form has changed since the back injury. Everything feels the same as the last video I did with 325 x 2x3... so I hope Ive got it in chekc!

Whaaaa? Nice job Zen. I dont think I have ever seen benching in here!!

I know... it was weird to be doing, but lots of fun doing something new!

I'm suprised that you find doing oly squats easier on the back then low-bar squats. I started with oly squats before reading SS, and I was always in some sort of pain, whether it was my knees, my shoulders/traps, etc...Nice sessions though, do what you gotta do to get er done.

I thought the same thing... I can't explain it physiologically because it shouldnt make muh of a difference. All I know is I was in pain after working on hip drive that single session. I probably should have stuck with it longer. I still might go back to it, not sure!

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!!! :hello::thumbup::indian:

tomv
12-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Sorry I haven't dropped in for a while mate, good to see that Pressing is being worked back in to your routine without pain!

borracho
12-09-2009, 10:02 PM
DAMN! I know you have some nice pulling strength but the BO rows are pretty hefty bud!! Nice looking session for sure!

teeroy
12-10-2009, 01:43 AM
My back was hurting from the new squats. Im gonna stick with OLY squats for a while, they just protect my back better even though they are harder to do than conventional squats.

OLY Squat
3x5 @ 225

Bench Press
3x5 @ 195

DL (ugh, forgot my chucks at home... DLed in OLY shoes...a definite difference in leverage)
1x5 @ 315

Pullup
3x5 @ BW+85lbs

Thanks B!

Great pullups. You always amaze me with your pull up strength.

jed
12-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Good workout is right, fella. Glad to see you hittin up the OH BB again. Is that push or mili?

brihead301
12-10-2009, 07:18 AM
Wow, those power cleans just keep on climbing up! I can't wait to see you doing 2 plates.

Coke
12-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Taking care of business Zen, got a lot done.

Cmanuel
12-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Subbing to your log. Gotta keep each other motivated!

-JM-
12-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Nice rows and OH press. Especially AFTER the other stuff...actually I am not shocked by the rows given your pullup power!

ZenMonkey
12-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Hitting my stride:

OLY Squat
3x5 @ 245

Bench Press
3x5 @ 205

DL
1x5 @ 335

Pullups (BodyWeight= 200lbs)
3x5 @ BW + 85lbs
1x1 Very slow negative @ BW + 85lbs
1x10 @ BW
2x3 Single-Arm Pullups (3x per side)

Good WO today. Squats are going well, I think Ill be able to to another 1-2 10lb jumps next week. If I can jump 15-25lbs next week Ill be very pleased.

Lots of fun today with the pullups variations. I hope the extra Pullup volume will let me move to 90lbs next time, as the 85s were getting slow and tough. Ive never tried 1 arm pullups, but to my surprise I popped them out rather easily and I could really feel them in my lats, they may become commonplace around here. Nice!

Sorry I haven't dropped in for a while mate, good to see that Pressing is being worked back in to your routine without pain!

Thanks man! Its good to be pressing BBs again!

DAMN! I know you have some nice pulling strength but the BO rows are pretty hefty bud!! Nice looking session for sure!

Thanks Borrach!

Great pullups. You always amaze me with your pull up strength.

Thanks buddy, its been a while since Ive stopped by your log, thanks for coming by!

Good workout is right, fella. Glad to see you hittin up the OH BB again. Is that push or mili?

Thanks Jedster!

Wow, those power cleans just keep on climbing up! I can't wait to see you doing 2 plates.

Gracias Bri! If I can't squat or press very strong I better be able to do something decently, huh?

Taking care of business Zen, got a lot done.

Thanks Coke!

Subbing to your log. Gotta keep each other motivated!

Thanks for stopping by buddy!

Nice rows and OH press. Especially AFTER the other stuff...actually I am not shocked by the rows given your pullup power!

Hahah, thanks Captn!

PoundingPlates
12-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Take arms against a sea of troubles!! My Friend!!

Off Road
12-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Pullups
3x5 @ BW + 85lbs
1x1 Very slow negative @ BW + 85lbs
1x10 @ BW
2x3 Single-Arm Pullups (3x per side)!
Okay... you make me sick :moon:

Coke
12-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Wow dude, majoring in the pullups again.

Sidior
12-11-2009, 04:24 PM
1 arm pullups... doood that is sick! Real nice bw and powerlift strength.

borracho
12-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Wow! Damn man...workouts are looking strong and consistent....not really sure what to say about the pullups other than they're fuggin awesome.

ELmx479
12-11-2009, 09:45 PM
You just started benching and can already bench more than me, am I missing something??? Awesome job on the pull ups, are the one arm pull ups over or under hand? I may have to give them a try tomorrow.

tomv
12-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Haha You're stupid strong Mick, good work.

ZenMonkey
12-14-2009, 11:13 AM
Damn it! The gym that is letting me train for free has no squat rack. I even called them and asked and they said yes, they do have squat racks. They only have a smith machine and one bench. No biggie, just gonna front squat. I ditched the cleans for this week (or at least today) as I will be cleaning all week for presses and front squats.

Front Squat
3x5 @ 165

BO Row
3x5 @ 230

OH Press
3x5 @ 120

+ More walking around DC than I have ever done in my life. Whew! My legs are tired from all the walking and trying to keep up with the local walkers. Those peeps walk fast!!!

I dont have much computer time, so Ill be around your journals next week but not really this week.

Take arms against a sea of troubles!! My Friend!!

I certainly will!! I am studying ol Bill in grad school now... what a badass!

Okay... you make me sick :moon:

Haha, thanks man!

Wow dude, majoring in the pullups again.

Thanks Coke!

1 arm pullups... doood that is sick! Real nice bw and powerlift strength.

Thanks Sid!!

Wow! Damn man...workouts are looking strong and consistent....not really sure what to say about the pullups other than they're fuggin awesome.

Gracias senior!

You just started benching and can already bench more than me, am I missing something??? Awesome job on the pull ups, are the one arm pull ups over or under hand? I may have to give them a try tomorrow.

Thanks man! One arm pullups inevitably move to neutral grip for the most leverage, so thats what I did :)

Haha You're stupid strong Mick, good work.

Thanks Tommy-Boy!!

tomv
12-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Nice to hear you found a quick alternative to the lack of Squat Rack haha, a very effective one as well. Why are you in DC?

Off Road
12-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Nice job making do with what you have available. Have a sfae trip and enjoy yourself.

borracho
12-14-2009, 10:12 PM
Nice alternative squat work Zen! Have fun in DC!

Coke
12-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Glad to see you get the session in, and for free too, lol.

brihead301
12-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Hahaha, it's amazing that some of these gyms honestly do think that the smith machine is the same thing as a squat rack. I've went and toured gyms before when I was considering joining, and I would ask "how many squat racks do you have?" or "Do you have squat racks?", and they'd say "Absolutely. Follow me." They would then take me over to a smith machine, and say "Right here."

I would just keep my mouth shut about the fact that it is not a f***ing squat rack, but I would end the tour right then and there. It's like not-squatting is starting to become an epidemic in gyms nowadays.

That said, nice lifting though...do what ya gotta do with cleaning the weight to your shoulders.

ZenMonkey
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Clean and Front Squat
3x5 @ 165

Bench
3x5 @ 215

DL
1x5 @ 355

Pullups (crappy rubber on pullup bar wouldnt stop spinning in my hands and was really oily. I couldnt even hold on for 1 rep w/ a 90lb DB, so did some BW pullups)
3x10 @ BW

Nice to hear you found a quick alternative to the lack of Squat Rack haha, a very effective one as well. Why are you in DC?

Im visiting friends for vacation. Im a total ethnic food junkie and DC is great for that. So far Ive had Nepaleese, 4 different Native American types, Laoatian (sp? from Laos), Ethopian, and some Irish. They have this kind of stuff in Texas but it is not as genuine. Its tough to count calories with some of it, but I havent put any weight on... yet!!!!

Nice job making do with what you have available. Have a sfae trip and enjoy yourself.

Gracias!

Nice alternative squat work Zen! Have fun in DC!

Thanks B! I certainly will

Glad to see you get the session in, and for free too, lol.

Yes, free is good!!

Hahaha, it's amazing that some of these gyms honestly do think that the smith machine is the same thing as a squat rack. I've went and toured gyms before when I was considering joining, and I would ask "how many squat racks do you have?" or "Do you have squat racks?", and they'd say "Absolutely. Follow me." They would then take me over to a smith machine, and say "Right here."

I would just keep my mouth shut about the fact that it is not a f***ing squat rack, but I would end the tour right then and there. It's like not-squatting is starting to become an epidemic in gyms nowadays.

That said, nice lifting though...do what ya gotta do with cleaning the weight to your shoulders.

Yea... Ive been getting really weird looks from the people there. I swear all the men only do bench press, curls, and abs. It is actually kind of comical to see it happening. I have to spread all the benches and curl stations to have room to clean, squat, row and DL and it was like they were all curling zombies circling me and gonna eat my brains for doing basic barbell movements.

Off Road
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
:evillaugh: Hahaha...I finally have my new signature :evillaugh:

Coke
12-16-2009, 10:35 PM
Good deal on the various ethnic foods, especially when it's authentic and not watered down like fast foods.

Painzer
12-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Sessions are looking really strong Zen.

-JM-
12-17-2009, 01:44 AM
curling zombies circling me and gonna eat my brains for doing basic barbell movements

LMAO...

Nice session Zen...adding a little more volume too? Whats going on ha ha!

tomv
12-17-2009, 05:07 AM
Good to hear about all the different dining experiences mate, Laoatian looks right to me.

james_w8lifter
12-17-2009, 07:30 AM
it was like they were all curling zombies circling me and gonna eat my brains for doing basic barbell movements.

Oh man that is classic... Someone has to quote this in their sig haha... Strong lifting man, keep it up!

Off Road
12-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Someone has to quote this in their sig haha...Too late...I did it yesterday :)

ZenMonkey
12-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Friday's WO:

Front Squat
3x5 @ 165

OH Press
3x5 @ 125

BO Row
3x5 @ 230

Left DC, 3 hours later on 81 got hit by the snowstorm. We are in Staunton VA and there is a good 3-6 feet of snow out there.

Saturday's WO

Uphill Walk to Gas Station for Food for Diabetic Friend
2 x 1 mile @ horrible

Snow Shovelling Car out of Snow Igloo... DL then overhead throw
Alot x Cold

:evillaugh: Hahaha...I finally have my new signature :evillaugh:

Haha, glad I could help!! :hello:

Good deal on the various ethnic foods, especially when it's authentic and not watered down like fast foods.

Definitely!! On Thursday we have Comanche food at the Native American Museum. MMmmmmmm.... pulled buffallo meat on corn bread..mmmm

Sessions are looking really strong Zen.

Thanks buddy, trying to make due with what I have access to!

LMAO...

Nice session Zen...adding a little more volume too? Whats going on ha ha!

Hahah... dont tell! I try not to add too much volume but my body can handle a TON of pullup stuff. I used to swim on an elite level and was almost a porfessional rock climber, so I can pull forever... whats a guy to do when the basics dont stimulate like they should?? :evillaugh:

Good to hear about all the different dining
experiences mate, Laoatian looks right to me.

Thanks mate? DO you guys eat kangaroo? :) kidding, kidding

Oh man that is classic... Someone has to quote this in their sig haha... Strong lifting man, keep it up!

Thanks buddy!!

Thanks for all the positive motivaation guys!!! Im stuck in the snowstorm but it is kinda fun. I love the cold weather and my girlfirend and I are having some good bonding time. Our diabetic friend is nice too, but it can be tough traveling with someone who has to stop for the bathroom every hour and needs food constantly. Its not a big deal... just a test in patience and I know she cant help it. We might be stuck here tomorrow, no real idea on that... still a fun experience in the thick of the "Storm of the Decade".

Ill stop by your journals asap, Im on someone else's computer and have limited access. You should hear from me in your journals on Monday or Tuesday! hahaha, I miss you guys!

:hello::):clown:

Off Road
12-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Have a safe trip back Zen.

LuNa
12-19-2009, 06:40 PM
SNOW? Im sweating my bodyfat off. Nice to get some bonding time in with the gf. Enjoy yourself!

tomv
12-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeah man we eat Kangaroo, you can buy it in most of our big supermarkets... Seriously. I know restaurants where I think you can get emu / crocodile as well.

ZenMonkey
12-23-2009, 07:42 AM
Ahhhh... back in town. My regular gym is closed so I though Id take a look at the Golds gym down the street. It would be nice to have a much much closer place to train when Im not in classes. So, I went there.... no effing squat racks again even though the guy said they were there!!! Back to fronts this week, ugh.

Front Squat
3x5 @ 175

Bench Press
3x5 @ 225

DL
1x5 @ 355

Pullups
3x5 @ BW + 80
6 Single Arm Pullups (3 per side)
3x10 BW Pullups

Have a safe trip back Zen.

Thanks buddy. It was some real stressful driving through VA.

SNOW? Im sweating my bodyfat off. Nice to get some bonding time in with the gf. Enjoy yourself!

Thanks man!

Yeah man we eat Kangaroo, you can buy it in most of our big supermarkets... Seriously. I know restaurants where I think you can get emu / crocodile as well.

Hahaha, sounds fun!

borracho
12-23-2009, 07:50 AM
Snow Shovelling Car out of Snow Igloo... DL then overhead throw
Alot x Cold

:D

Glad to see you back home bud...the bench is climbing fast! That sucks about the lack of a rack...wtf?!

Off Road
12-23-2009, 07:52 AM
Zen...the benching machine :cool:

ELmx479
12-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Wow! Your pressing is just moving on up. Everything looks good.

Coke
12-24-2009, 09:36 AM
Good deal Zen, not skipping a beat.

ZenMonkey
12-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Front Squat
3x5 @ 175

OH BB Press
3x5 @ 130

BO Row
3x5 @ 235

:D

Glad to see you back home bud...the bench is climbing fast! That sucks about the lack of a rack...wtf?!

Thanks man! I know... what gym(s) have no squat rack?!?

Zen...the benching machine :cool:

Thanks mate!

Wow! Your pressing is just moving on up. Everything looks good.

Thanks Elm! Bench is about to stall, I can feel it, so, we will see what happens in the next few sessions.

Good deal Zen, not skipping a beat.

Thanks Coke

Off Road
12-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Very nice rows Zen. How is it mixing the front squats and the back squats? Do you think you get good carry over from switching them around?

teeroy
12-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Good full body workout Zen! Can't believe the Gold's didn't have a power rack. I think any commercial gym like that should have at least three power racks but half the time they don't even have one.

Clover
12-24-2009, 02:09 PM
Solid lifting man. I saw those snowstorms on the news, they looked pretty bad. Weird weather though, I'm in Canada and there is no snow on the ground where I live, but go South and its a blizzard.

Cards
12-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Nice front squats and OH press, you're rows are always exceptionally strong. good work!

Coke
12-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Training is solid bro.

ZenMonkey
12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
12/27

Front Squat
185 x 3x5

Bench
225 x 5, 5, 4

Deadlift
365 x3

Pullup
85 x 5, 5, 4

-----Time for a deload

12/29- Deload

Bodyweight- 205... a little holiday weight... back to strict diet starting NOW!

Squat- Relearning Lowbar back squat. Back has been sufficiently strengthened by DLs.. time to use some real leverage in my squats. Gotta get out of the OLY squat mentality
225 x 5, 5
185 x 5, 5

Clean - real light and easy
135 x 5x2

OH Press
120 x 3x5

Row
205 x 3x5

Thank goodness I have a squat rack again. I was losing it not being able to load some weight on my back. I took the opportunity to get reacquainted with the lowbar squat again. I was using heeled OLY shoes which I might change out for my chucks to get better heel drive. This week is still wishy washy because I have only 1 more training day this week then begin using the gym at the grad school Ill be attending. Regular WO schedule resumes on Monday at the new facility. This will be good... Ill be coming out of a deload and can start some new mojo at a new place. Nowhere to go but up!

Off Road
12-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Build up that momentum and reach some new PRs :indian:

brihead301
12-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Hmm, so you decided to go back to low bar squats again huh? What is your reason for that? The back problem?

Coke
12-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Nice job for both days, it's great you are able to do regular squats again.

ZenMonkey
12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Build up that momentum and reach some new PRs :indian:

Thanks man! Thats the plan!!

Hmm, so you decided to go back to low bar squats again huh? What is your reason for that? The back problem?

Yea, the upright OLY squat took some of the discomfort away from my back, but since Ive been doing DLs again my back has never felt better.

Nice job for both days, it's great you are able to do regular squats again.

Thank you sir!

LuNa
12-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Nice work Zen. It will be good to see what you can do with a low bar squat. Are you going to cut down or just a recomposition?

I know how you feel about the rack, all the gyms im looking at for when i get home boast smith machines, not power racks.

ZenMonkey
12-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Nice work Zen. It will be good to see what you can do with a low bar squat. Are you going to cut down or just a recomposition?

I know how you feel about the rack, all the gyms im looking at for when i get home boast smith machines, not power racks.

Ill be doing a recomp until I need to cut some cals. When I do begin the cut it will only be by 100 cals a day. I dont mind taking my time with it.

-JM-
12-31-2009, 05:05 PM
since Ive been doing DLs again my back has never felt better.

They cure many other common ailments too ha ha.

Solid sessions lately Zen. Nice efforts with the changing program.

borracho
12-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Nice pulling Zen! Feels food being back in your gym huh?

ZenMonkey
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Deloaded last WO day... Post deload WOs:

1/4

Squat
3x5 @ 225

Clean
5x2 @ 80kg

OHP
3x5 @ 125

BO Row
3x5 @ 210

------------------------

1/6

Squat
3x5 @ 235

Bench
3x5 @ 210

DL
1x5 @ 345

Pullup
3x5 @ BW + 70

--------------------------

1/8

Squat
3x5 @ 245

Clean
5x2 @ 85kg

OHP
3x5 @ 130

BO Row
3x5 @ 215

-----------------------

Off to a solid start this year. Ill try to be around here more often but my band is really taking off and we practice almost every night for 3+ hours and Im taking voice coaching and writing music, so its really eating up my time. On the brighter side, our gigs are beginning to pay decently and Im not making too bad a living right now. Im also trying to get ready for my first semester of Grad school (starts on Monday!)... Im very excited!!

Off Road
01-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Excellent workouts and cool about the band. Good luck.

Coke
01-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Wow dude, I am happy for you and all that you are doing...awesome hearing about the abundant creativity going on.

tomv
01-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Sounds like you've got it coming out in spades Mike, if you do stop coming on here so much feel free to add me on Facebook at Thomas Vale ;-).

borracho
01-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Sounds like you're keeping really busy bud...congrats on the band stuff...that is awesome!

Cmanuel
01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
What are you going to grad school for? Best decision I've made.

LuNa
01-10-2010, 03:11 PM
That is really good news about your band. Congrats! Good luck with everything, especially grad school and hope to still see you around here.

ELmx479
02-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Just checking in, you still hitting the iron?

ZenMonkey
02-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Hey everyone! Sorry I havent been around much... school and music are keeping me busy. Ive also lit some spiritual stuff going on that I have been working toward for a long while and has seemed to culminate into something that takes a good deal of time to harvest and allow to ripen.

Some of these realizations have directed me away from using technology so much... especially the computer. I will be stopping by you guys' journals for sure but, please, dont feel a need to come here, as I wont be taking the time to update as much. But, for kicks, Ive been doing Texas Method lately. Im Squatting 255 x 5x5 and 275x1x5 , DLing 355 x5, Benching 210 x 5x5. Ive also been finishing my WOs (before my 10min SS cardio) with some gymnastics. I have been getting very close to being able to hold a hand stand for about 10 seconds and have been working on Dragon Flags... I suck at those.

I hope all is well with everyone!
Namaste,
Michael

Excellent workouts and cool about the band. Good luck.

Thanks OR!

Wow dude, I am happy for you and all that you are doing...awesome hearing about the abundant creativity going on.

Gracias Senior Coke!

Sounds like you've got it coming out in spades Mike, if you do stop coming on here so much feel free to add me on Facebook at Thomas Vale ;-).

Ill look you up!

Sounds like you're keeping really busy bud...congrats on the band stuff...that is awesome!
Thanks B!

What are you going to grad school for? Best decision I've made.

Im studying Critical Theory focusing on Classical Rhetoric and Shakespeare. I love grad school, its like a reward for dealing with undergrad BS. What are you studying?

That is really good news about your band. Congrats! Good luck with everything, especially grad school and hope to still see you around here.

Thanks Luna!

Just checking in, you still hitting the iron?

Yep!! Thanks man!

borracho
02-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Its refreshing to hear when people are able to pursue and/or explore their passion(s)...glad to hear all is well man.

jed
02-16-2010, 09:01 PM
:withstupi:

Agreed, glad you are discovering even more spiritual things, bro... That's something most people on here or the world will never do.