PDA

View Full Version : My first bench shirt question

Andre518
01-06-2010, 07:47 AM
I am thinking of getting a bench shirt to train in only not compete. I have finally found a gym in my area where i can go once in awhile and lift with other PL's and lifters that know how to use gear. I'm thinking of getting a shirt to train in for a few reasons.
1. To get use to holding heavier weight
2. Hoping for a care over to help my RAW bench in meets
3. Just to learn how to use gear because I would like to have the knowledge on using gear to be a better and well rounded PL.

I was talking to a guy who competes both shirt and raw, I told him that I wanted to learn to bench in a shirt but was concerned about having to buy a new shirt all the time after it stretches when I only plan to train in it. He told me to go with a denim shirt because it will last a long time. I was wondering what you guys thought about getting a denim shirt and what are some good ones to get? Also if I do decided to get a shirt how would I know where to start single, double ply?

IronDiggy
01-06-2010, 07:58 AM
I wouldn't 1 & 2 seem more like reasons to do more board pressing and lockouts...
3. Well, more rounded would be to compete raw and equipped I would think.
as for a first shirt I'd say something single ply like an f6. If you're only training once in a while in a shirt I'd say it would last you quite some time. I've also heard of lifters having their shirts tighten back up when they wash em.

Also... welcome to gear. Hate to say it but you're probably gunna get addicted because it's a whole new game from lifting raw.

Darracq
01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
A titan f6 will last a good year if not more,I dont think it will help you raw bench much unless you still do the raw work. Sounds like you will want a looser shirt but then your not going to get much out of it as it stretches, If i was you i would find a used shirt and see how you like it and then go from there. there is noting wrong with a used shirt and it much cheaper, Heck i found a brand new f6 fot $50

Andre518
01-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks guys. I do plan to do a lot of raw work but would like to know how to use a shirt, hold heavier weight, and just switch things up a bit. Last week I used fat grips and EFS Mini Bands on my bench and just those little changes really brought the fun up for me in benching. So I thinking trying gear in my training would add some great verity. Thanks again guys for the advice.

AdamBAG
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Why do you have to try a shirt with the caveat that you aren't going to compete in one? If you are going to take the time to train in a shirt and take the risks of getting hurt using one then why not leave the option open of competing in one?

I guess this just seems like an odd question.

StLRPh
01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
For #1 what about Reverse Bands?

Andre518
01-06-2010, 10:04 AM
The reason I would not compete is that my shirt works out would not be very constant as I train 98% of the time by myself at comerical gyms. So I would use the shirt once in a while just to get use to it and learn it when I could. But as of right now I would not have enough time to really train hard in a shirt and compete using one. But who knows when my schedule changes up and I have more chance to train in one I may like and start to compete in one but for now it would be just to get the knowledge and learn how to use one.

ScottYard
01-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Make sure you get a shirt that will allow you to use your raw groove. if you arent going to compete then this is important. A optimum shirt groove is far off from a optimum raw groove.

MarcusWild
01-06-2010, 10:41 AM
I agree with what Scott said. The grooves are so different that it's really a different movement. Learning to use a shirt requires quite a bit of time investment which isn't really worth it for a raw lifter.

achilles89
01-06-2010, 11:39 AM
I would like to use a shirt as well but I don't know where to start. There are different shirts Polyester, Canvas, Denim and shirts with different plies just to add to my confusion. Do you train with the shirt full ROM or put the shirt with heavy loads & boards to get used to heavy weight?

SELK
01-06-2010, 11:52 AM
I would like to use a shirt as well but I don't know where to start. There are different shirts Polyester, Canvas, Denim and shirts with different plies just to add to my confusion. Do you train with the shirt full ROM or put the shirt with heavy loads & boards to get used to heavy weight?

Most shirts these days are Poly, a few guys still have good results in Denim mind you. As far as plies, start with a good one ply shirt (I like titan for 1ply) and then once you learn it, consider moving to 2 ply later.

There are tons of ways to train in a shirt, the general consensus is that full ROM in the shirt is better while learning the shirt. I have had success with using boards and working them down, but I am far from a shirt expert.

MarcusWild
01-06-2010, 12:12 PM

Find powerlifters that know what they are doing to train with. Even if you have to drive a bit it's worth it.

theBarzeen
01-06-2010, 03:34 PM
if you want a really light shirt to train in that'll keep its pop but don't care about competing get a basic 2-ply and get it a little loose...... 2-ply can be worn looser and it doesn't lose its pop as fast..... even something like a 2-ply Frantz or Crain would be easy.... a 2-ply F-6 or one of the Metal shirts would be a little ambitious but could be done without really changing how you bench too much..... Denim's groove is way less forgiving than any of the new Poly's....... or look for a used 2-ply anything as long as it fits.....

mastermonster
01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I agree with what Scott said. The grooves are so different that it's really a different movement. Learning to use a shirt requires quite a bit of time investment which isn't really worth it for a raw lifter.

Agreed again. If you are a flatter backed, higher on the chest toucher; get a Titan Fury (strait sleeve design). If you have a bigger arch and touch low chest to upper abs, get a Titan F6 (angled sleeve). I competed and trained in my Fury for almost 3 years. The Titan material is very durable. I don't think a denim would be your best bet for what you are wanting to do.

h.t.hall
01-06-2010, 07:15 PM
"Agreed again. If you are a flatter backed, higher on the chest toucher; get a Titan Fury (strait sleeve design). If you have a bigger arch and touch low chest to upper abs, get a Titan F6 (angled sleeve). I competed and trained in my Fury for almost 3 years. The Titan material is very durable. I don't think a denim would be your best bet for what you are wanting to do."

I'm in excactly the same situation...doing my research.
If benching style is to low chest,and the choice is between a single ply super katana or 2ply chest/1ply arms f6 which would you recommend ?
Goal is support without changing my technique much and being able to put it on by myself as i train alone.

robchris
01-06-2010, 09:37 PM
For #1 what about Reverse Bands?

This... Try reverse band bench before investing in a shirt.

I'll give the pop off the bottom almost like a shirt, plus you dont have to change your form.

As stated earlier, geared & raw bench grooves are a bit different.
RC

mastermonster
01-06-2010, 10:07 PM
"Agreed again. If you are a flatter backed, higher on the chest toucher; get a Titan Fury (strait sleeve design). If you have a bigger arch and touch low chest to upper abs, get a Titan F6 (angled sleeve). I competed and trained in my Fury for almost 3 years. The Titan material is very durable. I don't think a denim would be your best bet for what you are wanting to do."

I'm in excactly the same situation...doing my research.
If benching style is to low chest,and the choice is between a single ply super katana or 2ply chest/1ply arms f6 which would you recommend ?
Goal is support without changing my technique much and being able to put it on by myself as i train alone.

Sounds like the 2 ply F6 with 1 ply arms would be better than the 1 ply Katana for your needs. The 1 ply Katana will need to be too tight to get on by yourself to get close to 2 ply results. Are you going open back or closed? That would be a big factor in your choice. You can put on a tighter open back than closed back alone. If you're training alone, please be careful in a shirt. It can get deadly quickly!

h.t.hall
01-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Sounds like the 2 ply F6 with 1 ply arms would be better than the 1 ply Katana for your needs. The 1 ply Katana will need to be too tight to get on by yourself to get close to 2 ply results. Are you going open back or closed? That would be a big factor in your choice. You can put on a tighter open back than closed back alone. If you're training alone, please be careful in a shirt. It can get deadly quickly!

The shirt will probably come with the back closed but i'll cut it open if this would help.You mean i could squeeze into a smaller size if it's an open back ?
What i want mainly is support from the chest halfway up and easy in-and-out fit.I'm told this will probably require a bit bigger shirt (a couple sizes more than the even the regular fit) but tighter-stronger fabric like a strong 1ply or a 2ply.
If i get used to it then i'll proceed to a tighter shirt with full range support.
Would these 2 options of mine be fitted the same in the same size or is the 2ply supposed to be a couple of sizes bigger anyway ? (like a 54 super katana vs a 56 f6 2ply).

I train alone in a power rack and just lately i also added face safety pins like with the efs benches.So if i miss it won't go to the face if it goes upwards and without an arch the bar easily rests on the cage pins if it goes downwards.Better safe than sorry,thanks for the heads up !

Andre518
01-06-2010, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. If I were to go with reverse bands what band would be a good starting point? Right now I have a pair of EFS Pro Mini Band Mini bands and have a pair of EFS Pro Short Monster Mini Band that I think will be here later today.

AdamBAG
01-07-2010, 07:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. If I were to go with reverse bands what band would be a good starting point? Right now I have a pair of EFS Pro Mini Band Mini bands and have a pair of EFS Pro Short Monster Mini Band that I think will be here later today.

I don't know that the short bands would be good for reverse band work because you don't normally double the original style bands, you just loop them.

For a raw bencher I think the light/purple bands would be a good reverse band for ME work.

Honestly, it depends on how you set them up. Some people hook them on the pins and some on the top of the rack. This will obviously change the tension. You may just need to play around with it and see what happens.