PDA

View Full Version : When to switch training methods?

shocker4221
11-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I am currently using the 5-3-1 program and have been for 5 months. I plan on competing in an equipped bench meet in June and then a RAW bench meet at the end of August. Last year I competed in an equipped meet for the first time and used a beginner shirt with good success and carryover. I am planning on getting a Titan Super Kitana for my next meet and am wondering when I should switch my training to work in the shirt?

BoAnderson71
11-15-2010, 11:20 PM
I am currently using the 5-3-1 program and have been for 5 months. I plan on competing in an equipped bench meet in June and then a RAW bench meet at the end of August. Last year I competed in an equipped meet for the first time and used a beginner shirt with good success and carryover. I am planning on getting a Titan Super Kitana for my next meet and am wondering when I should switch my training to work in the shirt?

you could probably just test for your max in the shirt. then use 5/3/1 for your shirted bench. probably start whenever, but after your june meet test your raw max and go back to 5/3/1 using your raw bench. cant go wrong with westside either.

shocker4221
11-16-2010, 08:13 AM
you could probably just test for your max in the shirt. then use 5/3/1 for your shirted bench. probably start whenever, but after your june meet test your raw max and go back to 5/3/1 using your raw bench. cant go wrong with westside either.

that makes sense and sounds like a good idea. I've been wanting to try westside but went with 5-3-1 i think because of the simplicity of the program. I honestly feel that I can get more out of the westside program but lack a lot of the necessary gear such as bands.

vdizenzo
11-16-2010, 08:33 AM
that makes sense and sounds like a good idea. I've been wanting to try westside but went with 5-3-1 i think because of the simplicity of the program. I honestly feel that I can get more out of the westside program but lack a lot of the necessary gear such as bands.

You don't need bands to do Westside. However, if you wanted them, they are not a great expense and can be used anywhere.

AdamBAG
11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Why change programs if you are having success? Do your 531 work raw and then put on the shirt after for some shirt work.

ehopkins932
11-16-2010, 10:25 AM
There is a 5/3/1 template for gear here someone wrote up...it might have been Al Caslow but don't quote me on that. If you search enough you should be able to find it. But in its traditional structure 5/3/1 is not for geared lifters.

Also, Wendler should be coming out with the 5/3/1 for powerlifting sometime relatively soon. I believe this covers using gear.

And keep in mind that the 5/3/1 is a program based on long term progress. That means more than 5 months generally speaking.

BoAnderson71
11-16-2010, 01:27 PM
There is a 5/3/1 template for gear here someone wrote up...it might have been Al Caslow but don't quote me on that. If you search enough you should be able to find it. But in its traditional structure 5/3/1 is not for geared lifters.

Also, Wendler should be coming out with the 5/3/1 for powerlifting sometime relatively soon. I believe this covers using gear.

And keep in mind that the 5/3/1 is a program based on long term progress. That means more than 5 months generally speaking.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?134420-Anyone-use-531-with-equipment&highlight=5%2F3%2F1+with+gear+template

this is the thread with the caslow write up. It looked to be very good