PDA

View Full Version : Board Presses on ME Day

Bosshogg300
12-23-2010, 07:47 PM
tomorrow will be the first day i ever do board presses i have boards 2"- 6" i just built and i am wondering what is the best way to go about training using boards, should i just do a 1 at each height or work on what part of my bench needs most or stay at one height, please someone educate me on the way of the boards lol :)

Dan Fanelli
12-23-2010, 08:38 PM
tomorrow will be the first day i ever do board presses i have boards 2"- 6" i just built and i am wondering what is the best way to go about training using boards, should i just do a 1 at each height or work on what part of my bench needs most or stay at one height, please someone educate me on the way of the boards lol :)

Ihavent trained with boards much, but I'm sure a search should turn up something. I'd only use one board height at a time, but that depends on what style of training you are using

NickAus
12-23-2010, 08:41 PM
You can do a max off 1 board height and some 5s off another.

Many many ways to do it.

Brian Hopper
12-23-2010, 08:56 PM

Personally, I like to stay at one board height in a training session, but that's just me. Although, I dont see it being a problem if you mixed more in. There are so many ways to use boards. But I would focus on using different board heights so you can work your lockout from all sticking points.

Bosshogg300
12-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Ok well I think ill start at a higher board and work to the smallest ir something in the lines of that

Brian Hopper
12-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Just try it different ways and see what will work best for you.

pricedtosell
12-23-2010, 11:23 PM
When I use more than one board in a training session, I prefer to start with the lower boards first (assuming we're talking about benching raw). That way, you're able to go heavier as you add boards. I might do something like hit a max single, double or triple on a 2 board and then go up to a 4 board and do 3 sets of 5 there or even just one max set of 5 there.

I prefer starting off closer to the chest with lighter weight and then putting more weight on as the boards get higher. It just makes more sense to me to do it that way. Obviously if you're in a shirt, you'll start off with higher boards and work your way down as you get heavier. Either way, if it's a ME day then you probably only want to hit a max single on one of the boards and then if you want to work more on a different set of boards, it would be for more reps. Just use the boards with the same sets/reps you're used to doing for other lifts. I probably wouldn't use more than 2 sets of boards in the same training session though, there's no need to bench off of every board you have.

jtteg_x
12-24-2010, 05:28 AM
I'm guessing were discussing raw benching. Start with where your stalling point is. My sticking point is about a 2 board. I love me singles, doubles and triples.

Bosshogg300
12-24-2010, 07:32 AM
Yea ill take into consideration what you guys said and just experiment and see what works best

Brian Hopper
12-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Yea ill take into consideration what you guys said and just experiment and see what works best

That's probably the best idea!!! Because whatever works for me or someone else might not work for you.

ScottYard
12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I am a fan of using multible boards in one wo. Start at 2 and add a board and 25-50 lbs each one for doubles. good stuff

JK1
12-24-2010, 08:36 PM
I don't like changing up boards in one training session... What I do (i'm a shirted bencher) for ME workouts is if I'm 10 weeks out or more from a meet is work full range to warm up, then on my last RAW set work a triple or so with the board of the day. I'll then work to a heavy max single. If I'm feeling good on my last set, I may drop to 1 board lower and try for a single with that. I may or may not decrease the weight----it all depends on how I feel.

If I'm less than 10 (even as far out as 12 weeks) I change the way I use the boards for ME days. What I do then is work up to a moderate/heavy triple raw (something in the low/mid 400's usually, then shirt on and work to whatever my anticipated opener is. Do a full range single with that weight and then add in the boards to work to a max single. The reason I do it this way is to guarantee that I don't miss my opener AND to work the weak point with the chest/triceps/shoulders prefatigued. It hink that makes you stronger in the long run.

For DE days, I'll use boards as a second barbell exercise for 3-4 sets of 5 after my DE bench work. I don't take these sets to failure, but I do make them heavy. There seems to be a direct correlation with my shirted bench and how much I'm handling off a 4 board RAW.

The best thing for you to do has already been stated... play around a bit and figure out what works for you.