PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Cal Calc:---and diet help.

Double7and7
06-04-2002, 02:29 PM
I made a bet with a buddy of mine to get down to 240 (currently 257) before he gets to 220 (he's 240).
I really don't want to lose any strength---
but I could shed these god-forsaken love handles...
so blah blah blah
how do I calculate my maintenance cals. and whats a good level to shoot for under that...
I can eat like a horse---well two horses...this is going to be hard to do.
and whats the best split for me to use
40/40/20? or for cutting is it different?

Thanks guys, your insight is very usefull

Double7and7
06-05-2002, 10:47 AM
thanks for the insight...its very helpfull ;)

WannaBeStrong
06-05-2002, 11:02 AM
www.fitday.com, sign up, enter your weight. It will give you an approximation. (edit: Click on Activities to get your Basal calories and your activities calories).

I personally start with 15*BW as maintenance, then adjust.

Goin_Big
06-05-2002, 11:25 AM
hmm, ok, according to that website I burn over 3800 calories a day doing absolutely nothing. If that were true then I should be shredded, but I'm not.......

WannaBeStrong
06-05-2002, 11:53 AM
That's why I personally use 15* BW :D <lol>

The basal number is accurate, but the activities is way overestimated.

MRJ
06-05-2002, 12:28 PM
Greetings:

The only true way to determine what YOUR body needs is to keep records for a week minimum, but two preferably.

1) track what you eat (foodstuffs), how much (calories) and at what breakdown (p/f/c)

2) if your breakdown is not balanced, balance it. (I use 40p/20f/40c)

3) once balanced begin to GRADUALLY decrease the amount of calories ingested in a given day (I used increments of 100) and/or increase (exercise) the amount of calories which are required for daily functions. (work, exercise, rest)

4) be patient

5) continue decreasing daily calories by 100p/day, p/week and watch the weight loss. (usually 1 - 2 lbs. p/wk., more is excesive)

6) ensure you ingest 1g/1lb. protein ALWAYS

7) when/if you plateau play with the fat/carb breakdown SLIGHTLY until results are noted.

There is no given formula for every person, we're all different.

Consider your first couple of times an experiment, learn, and try not to repeat mistakes.

Once you know how your body reacts to changes, you'll be able to add/drop fat w/o any problems.

For reference my last dieting cycle I dropped 30 lbs. (220 - 190) over 16 weeks, mind you, and did not notice any significant decrease in my athletic performance.

I did notice (as did everyone) the transformation from a strong, but smooth dude, to a strong and cut dude.

walken1
06-05-2002, 12:40 PM
All of the above are great ways to track your caloric intake. As you gain experience, your instinct will tell you alot as well.....without even counting cals, you will know how much of what type of food will cause weight gain. Also, there is research that addiction to certain types of carbohydrate foods can eventually lead to subtle allergic reactions that will make you look and feel bloated.

Double7and7
06-05-2002, 01:10 PM
So, I'm hearing 15*250 (ish) = 3750
P = 250 g, and 1500 cal
f = 750 cal
c = 1500 cal---

and then cut back say---5% a week?

I guess this means a lot of protein shakes! :D

thanks for the help guys...

double

WannaBeStrong
06-05-2002, 01:29 PM
You can lower the carbs and up the fat a little if you'd like. Exchange for EFAs like almonds, flaxseed, salmon, tuna, etc. You Throw some flaxseed oil in a shake and you get a quick 130 extra calories.

Tiare
06-05-2002, 11:56 PM
You're in a race to lose weight? If you want to win the race, cut back a lot. like to 2500 or 2000 calories a day clean in 6 meals, do lots of cardio and suck it up.

If on the other hand you want to get into better shape for the rest of your life, then do it the right way and cut back intelligently and you'll lose 2 or 3 pounds a week.

Double7and7
06-06-2002, 09:02 AM
Its a race of sorts...Really its for him...I'm going to go slow and steady---I don't want to risk too much of my strength...I'm just going to cut up...I'll be right at 240 (ego--skyrocketing! ;) )
I like the, do lots of cardio and suck it up comment though...
good stuff.