PDA

View Full Version : Which direction now for optimum fat loss with muscle preservation?

06-10-2002, 05:55 PM
I'm at like 173-175 lbs, ~12-13% bf.
Been eating 2000 calories/day on a 30/40/30 split with 1 day/week refeed for a lil while and have been losing about 1 lb / week. Not noticing hardly any muscle loss at all. Maintaining strength pretty good too.
However, lately I'm noticing fat loss slowing up. I'm pretty sure its because I'm starting to get further away from my set point. My body naturally likes the 14-15%.

I weight train 4x/week and do cardio 2-3x/week (low intensity for 30 min or 20 min HIIT). If I notice this week fat loss has slowed up significantly, should I:

a) Drop cals by another 100.
b) Add in more cardio. Please give suggestions.
c) Add a second refeed day.
d) Different suggestion. Please note.

Keep in mind I'm trying to maintain as much muscle as possible, while dropping this fat last bit of fat off. Goal is down to 8% again in 4-8 weeks, without any of this keto or NHE **** this time.

Vido
06-10-2002, 06:03 PM
Well if you changed nothing else, but made the low intensity cardio sessions longer (45 min) you would be dropping a few hundred cals per week and this should be all you need.

06-10-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Vido
Well if you changed nothing else, but made the low intensity cardio sessions longer (45 min) you would be dropping a few hundred cals per week and this should be all you need.

I won't go past 30 minutes of cardio. The extra energy expended will be mainly muscle.

The_Chicken_Daddy
06-11-2002, 08:46 AM
Have you tried more regualar refeeds Andy? Say every 3d and 4th day?

Also, have you tried playing round with food combinations and/or switching food sources?

runt
06-11-2002, 08:48 AM
I'm not really a big advocate of Bill Phillips but his high intensity cardio program really burns fat off me. It's based on an intensity scale of 1- 10 which you decide for your self. 1 being the least intense (standing still) and 10 being the most intense (a full out sprint). Basicaly you start our at a level 5 and build to a 10 four times in a 20 min to 30 min cardio workout. Your heart rate will vary a great deal and you evidently continue to burn fat for at least an hour after your done. And according to Bill very little muscle if any is burning off. There was also a simalar program published in his Muscle Media magazine called Comando Cardio. Sorry, I don't know which issue. However it involved 15 min. of warm up, sprinting and resting. A little to complicated for me.

Anyway try it for a few weeks and see it if it works for you. You should be able to tell 2 or three weeks.

the_hall
06-11-2002, 09:49 AM
more refeeds.

Tiare
06-11-2002, 10:06 AM
I assume that you don't want to do more than 30 minutes of cardio/aerobics because of the metabolic changes that occur after that time period so I would suggest doing 2 seperate sessions for 30 minutes each. That will burn the calories but not increase your metabolic rate.

06-11-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Tiare
I assume that you don't want to do more than 30 minutes of cardio/aerobics because of the metabolic changes that occur after that time period so I would suggest doing 2 seperate sessions for 30 minutes each. That will burn the calories but not increase your metabolic rate.

tiare, tell me again why I would not want my metabolic rate increased?

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy
Have you tried more regualar refeeds Andy? Say every 3d and 4th day?

Also, have you tried playing round with food combinations and/or switching food sources?

Ya Robboe, I'm considering switching the refeeds to one every 4th day.
But after checking myself out in the mirror this morning I'm noticing the fat loss is still on track with the current daily 2000 cal. So I'm think over the next lil while when I do slowly have to drop cals, as soon as I have trouble losing fat at 1800 cal, I'll then implement the 4th day refeeds instead of the current 7th day. What do ya think of that?

oh ya I also like the idea of the split cardio. I remember you mentioning to me a while back about a quick HIIT for maybe 10-12 min in the morning and a lil longer lower intensity cardio session in the evening. How'd that work out for ya? I'm sure that'd give myself quite the metabolic boost.

I think eventually doing that 3x a week on cardio days, with 4x / week weight training, and implementing the 4th day refeeds while the rest of the days @ 1800kcal will get me below 8% nicely.