PDA

View Full Version : Protein makes you fat ?

YatesNightBlade
05-11-2001, 01:58 AM
I keep reading that eating protein by itself makes you fat !!!! Protein with no carbs. Anyone heard of this ???? Only thing I can think of is that theres no carbs to help carry the Aminos ... but it's got me a little puzzled. Any ideas anyone ??

Budiak
05-11-2001, 03:13 AM
Everything makes ME fat.

I hear that if you eat too much protein at once, like a shake with 100 grams, most of it is stored as fat because the body can only utilize about 30-50 grams at a time, but through personal experience I know thats bunk. Lets see what others say.

YatesNightBlade
05-11-2001, 03:16 AM
any excess is usually excreeted as urea !!!

05-11-2001, 08:20 AM
Yates, obviously some excess protein will be converted to fat. If it wasn't then someone could get away with eating a diet of 10,000 kcals worth of protein / day and not gain an ounce of fat.

body
05-11-2001, 11:38 AM
exceess protein will get converted to fat however of the three main macronutrients the conversion is the least effecient and cal for cal of the excess protien the amount of fat gained will be least.
it does not really matter if the excess protien is eaten with or without carbs or fat, if eating excess cals evenbtually you will get fat.

Spiderman
05-11-2001, 01:39 PM
Hell a lot of protein just makes more Methane eminate from my body...as is the case right now... *aaaaaahhhhhhhh* that felt good. :D :D

the doc
05-11-2001, 01:56 PM
yates, the urea comes from gluconeogenesis process whereby aminos are deaminated to give glucose precursors and urea. These precursors are in turn converted to glucose which is then either stored as fat or glycogen or used for current energy needs. So yes it can.

Anthony
05-11-2001, 02:12 PM
Calories in VS Calories out.

SweatHawg
05-11-2001, 03:34 PM
Ohhh.....Excess calories hmm...
Then all I have to do is hop on the treadmill while I'm drinking a pint (or 3..)& I'll never get that beer belly! :p
...'course when I have to go to the ER for fallin' off the treadmill & splitting my skull after a few non-fat adult beverages, I may look a bit like a jackazz...:eek: :D

YatesNightBlade
05-14-2001, 01:41 AM
I think a few people missed my point ..... What I was trying to say was "WILL EATING PROTEIN BY ITSELF MAKE YOU FAT"

I've heard it is better to have some kind of carbs with a meal rather then just protein. For example. My last meal on a night is some Natural Peanut butter with 6 egg whites and a pint of skim milk. NO CARBS.

Dabomber
05-14-2001, 06:49 AM
Skim milk - 12g carbs per cup yates..

YatesNightBlade
05-14-2001, 07:08 AM
I don't really count Lactose as a carb. It's just somthing that I've got no choice about when drinking milk, but thanks for pointing that out dabomber. :)

the doc
05-14-2001, 12:10 PM
peanutbutter also has carbs!

Alex.V
05-14-2001, 12:22 PM
I think protein by itself, in absence of other macros, will simply be deaminated and used for energy. It won't make you FAT, per se, but it's a waste of good protein. I think certain fast-digesting proteins like whey will actually cause an insulin spike when consumed on their own. bad. But otherwise, I'm fairly sure the whole thing is a myth.

body
05-14-2001, 03:25 PM
excess protein will get converted to fat but some one of yates size and metabolism as he does not seem prone to gaining fat we are looking at say 3,500 cals for maintance?
3,500 / 4 = 875 grams of protien - so that is one hell a lot of protein to eat.
and as protien is not very efficently converted into fat we may be talking of yates eating over 1,000 grams of protien a day to start gaining fat.

the doc
05-14-2001, 09:55 PM
definitely, thats like one cow per day!:eek: