PDA

View Full Version : Should I venture out of my set/rep range?

KJDANEXT0
01-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Most of my lifts are currently trained using 4 sets of 2 reps(no assistance) and 3x3.

Now I'm not here to ask what the perfect rep/set range is, what I want to know is what do the big boys in strength usually do in terms of sets/reps? Do you guys base most of your training around 1,2,3s or do most stay around 5 reps for most of their sessions?

Do really low reps like say doubles(I mainly do doubles) hold you back in terms of size/strength if you don't add more 5s and 6s? It's said somewhere that the low reps don't provide enough stimulus for hypertrophy. Is this true?

This isn't a joke thread or anything for those that have seen some of my prvious posts, I merely want to know if I'm limiting my strength by staying at doubles almost all the time.

Thanks.

joey54
01-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Is what you are doing working for you? Are you happy with where you are at and where you can go?

KJDANEXT0
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Is what you are doing working for you? Are you happy with where you are at and where you can go?

Oh 4x2 works great for me I love it probably more than 3x3 which I used for ages, but I'm just curious if there's any method out there that's more effective than what I'm using now, but it's no rush for me, great strength is a marathon not a sprint.

RFabsik
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Bro Science says--low reps strength, high reps mass. In between a little of both.

Most programs don't hover around low reps for the majority of their work. Westside uses low reps at the beginning of their Max Effort workouts but after that all of the assistance work is in the 6+ range most of the time and even 15+ at times. Starting Strength and 5/3/1 flourish off of reps in the 5 zone or more. Ed Coan was a big fan of rep sets--cycling I think from 8's to 5's to 3's. Even the "strong" bodybuilders (Yates, Coleman) hung out between 5-8 reps compared to there buddies who hang out around 8-12's.

I think the exception are a lot of Oly programs will stay in the lower rep range. But maybe part of that is that higher rep oly lifts might cause form breakdown which isn't good practice.

In short, it seems like most big guys have ventured out of the 1-3 range.

KJDANEXT0
01-13-2013, 05:26 PM
I think I should re introduce sets of 5-8 in my workouts then. Not like I have much to lose by trying something new out. Anyone got success stories on this forum with focus on 5-8?

tmor6
01-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Anyone got success stories on this forum with focus on 5-8?

Yup...everyone, ever. Seriously, though, I don't feel like I get a benefit out of 2 or 3 reps. Sure, once you are hitting high numbers you need to get used to moving heavy weight for 1 or 2 reps, but beyond that, I don't see a benefit in training that way. I train in the 6-8 rep range and consistently see improvement. I certainly throw in an occasional 2 or 3 rep with high weight (350+), but I don't see the point in training that way. I feel much more fulfilled moving 275 8 times for 4 sets than 340 2 times.