View Full Version : trooths Journal

trooth
08-06-2002, 07:12 AM
Start with my statistics and my diet.

Height: 6'
Weight: 190lbs
Bodyfat %: 19.9%

Goal:
To add muscle mass, and reduce amount of fat. To have a more defined body, and get into better shape.

Old Diet:
Yah, you'd call this a diet? I'm a single guy in a house by myself who didn't want to spend time cooking. I ate out, 4-5 times a week for dinner, and another 3-4 times for lunch. We're talking, Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays, Outback Steakhouse, Burger King, and Wendy's comprised of my main diet. Once in a while a stop at Bennigans, Ruby Tuesday's and god it got to a point where the waitresses I would see knew me by name.

Some of those restaurants aren't too shabby, but I'm ordering crap for the most part. Bacon Cheeseburgers, ton's o fries and Monte Cristo's from Bennigans. You all get the point. I never ate breakfast, got up and just came to work. Hit the snack machines here on average of twice a day, getting some chips or a candy bar. Drank soda most of the day. Alcohol - eh? Yah, we'd go to the local pool hall, get 3-4 brews and play some pool. Not good, I know.

Current Diet:
Most of this is based on information I've read online, here at WBB, or just in searching through the net.

For breakfast I'm eating a banana or some Oatmeal; everyday. Lunch I've been bringing with me to work, usually some fresh ground turkey on wheat bread, and for snacks some cherry tomatoes and raisins. Dinner is usually comprised of chicken patties grilled, and some veggies; either a mixed can or some corn, peas or string beans. That is my primary choice of food, as I do mix in the occasional tunafish, and *yuck* cottage cheese. Man, I'm still looking for the best tasting, and I'm starting to believe there is no such thing. I've added some preserves on mine, peach or strawberry, etc. That helps. As far as drinks go, I'm sticking 90% to water. I drink it whenever I go out to eat, and its about all I have in the fridge at home. I've switched from Whole Milk to 2%, and I've cut out soda altogether. For a switch, I drink some Crystal Light... and for the most part I've cut out alcohol.

I still go and eat out, but I'm much more cautious of what I'm eating. Instead of ordering a hamburger and fries, I'll get a chicken wrap and steamed brocolli, or veggies when I can. I'm not perfect everyday, as last night I just couldn't deny myself my Brownie Obsession... god its been so long I just missed it. :) Comparing my previous diet to my current, I'm doing well and to completely relinquish all things I enjoy is not feasible. My plan is to re-evaluate my diet monthly. Hopefully to soon enough get on a *almost* perfect diet.

I've yet to try or include protein drinks in my diet and on routine day. I do pickup one when I get to my gym as they make them there; but most of you appear to recommend having it atleast an hour prior. I do eat before and try to eat after working out, but have yet to get into a solid pattern of doing such. I'm also considering the use of creatine and glutamine as supplements this month, and will know by the end of this week.

trooth
08-06-2002, 07:13 AM
Started training 2 weeks ago. Still new, and learning something new everyday. I started with what I call the "plate" room, (machines using plates) and this week I've moved over to the free weight room. The difference IMO is just tremendous - what I thought I was doing is just much more difficult using freeweights and BB's.

Workout Date: 8/5/02.
Routine: WBB #1

BP: 135lbs, 2 X 8
BB Incline: 35lb BB's, 1 X 8, 1 X 6
Dips: 2 X 8; -70lbs

Chin-ups: 2 X 8; -70lbs
Row: 160lbs, 2 X 8
Shrugs: 55lb BB's, 2 X 10

Also did Standing Calv Raises; 320lbs, 3 X 10

MonStar
08-06-2002, 07:25 AM
Good luck man, and welcome to WBB. I am from the Wilmington area too, how old are you, etc.? :):)

trooth
08-06-2002, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by MonStar
Good luck man, and welcome to WBB. I am from the Wilmington area too, how old are you, etc.? :):)

Heh, re-read my first post. I'm 23.. hit me on PM; maybe we can hookup and you can gimme some pointers. Looks like you've been working out for a while.

MonStar
08-06-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by trooth
Heh, re-read my first post. I'm 23.. hit me on PM; maybe we can hookup and you can gimme some pointers. Looks like you've been working out for a while.

Thats cool man. Yeah maybe well see. I am going to be working a lot the next few months and going to college so I dont know. I work at Nature's Way on Kirkwood Highway past Prices Corner. Okay supplement place - get helluva a lotta discounts though since I work there.

Anywhere where do you workout at? I lift at the YMCA in Kennet. Cheap, and got some nice stuff there. All of my info is in my journal.

trooth
08-08-2002, 08:23 AM
8/7/02

Routine: WBB1

Squat: 205lbs, 2 X 8
Hack Squat: 205lbs, 2 X 8
Leg Curls: 105lbs, 2 X 8 (Per Leg.)
Standing Calve Raises: 320lbs, 4 X 10

Didn't get to SLDL because I was just running short on time and just seemed like there was a line at the gym to use that area. :(

I'm pretty happy with my initial squats, I think maybe I can get around to bumping it up some... in due time, in due time.

trooth
08-09-2002, 05:00 PM
Workout Date: 8/10/02

What a horrible day. Just chitty altogether, then I get to the gym and forget half of the workout. :( Did what I remembered, or so I thought.

Mil Press: 105lbs, 2 X 8 ; 125lbs, 2 X 8
SLR (Stn. Lat Raises): 20lbs, 2 X 8
French Press: 50lbs, 2 X 6 (I think it was too much weight.)
Barbell Curls: 65lbs, 2 X 8
Hammer Curls: 25lb DB's, 2 X 8. (Ok, so I overdid that one. Forgot the rep count.)

Forgot to do Seated Dumbbells and Narrow Grip BP. :( Just one of those days...

On a side note, I've started (as of Wednesday, 8/8/02) taking creatine plus (5g's) and a protein shake within an hour of working out. I need to figure out how to combine my cardio with working out, and still gain Muscle Mass while loosing some weight. I'd like to see myself around 180 for now, and bulk upto 185-190.

trooth
08-20-2002, 06:18 AM
Ok.. I missed a week of updates. Can I just forget last week every happened? :) Diet was horrible, workouts were .. eh .. about the same.

Workout Date: 8/19/02.
Routine: WBB #1: Chest & Back day

BP: 135lbs, 1 X 8; 145, 1 X 8
DB Incline: 40lb DB's, 1 X 8; 45lb DB's, 1 X 8
Dips: 1 X 8, -40lbs; 1 X 8, -30lbs

Chin-ups: 2 X 8; -50lbs
Row: 165lbs, 2 X 8

Forgot to do shrugs. Went grocery shopping yesterday, did good except they had Lucky Charms on sale 5 for $10.00 and I couldn't resist... :D More to come.

Franjipani
08-20-2002, 06:36 AM
I ate out, 4-5 times a week for dinner, and another 3-4 times for lunch. We're talking, Pizza Hut, TGI Fridays, Outback Steakhouse, Burger King, and Wendy's comprised of my main diet.

Hey trooth,

:clap: Congratulations - you have already come a long way with your eating habits....More importantly how do you feel?

IMHO perhaps you may want to be a bit more specific with your goals? For example, what areas of your body do you want defined? What bodyfat % are you aiming for?? This may be really obvious to you but when you actually get down to specifics you become more JUICED - it may motivate you a little more ;)

Have a top night !

Cheers,

Francesca

trooth
08-20-2002, 08:52 AM
I'd like to have a more defined upper body. Specifically chest / arms and back. My legs are fairly well defined due to playing soccer for so long, so I'm not concentrating on them as much right now.

I was just overall disappointed in my appearance which is what started this all. I'd say for starters, I'm shooting to get down to atleast 13-14% bodyfat. That is my "December" goal.

I also took some pictures of myself this past week, and will do so each month up until December. This way I can track my progress and such. :)

Thanks for the note though. ;)

trooth
08-20-2002, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

....More importantly how do you feel?

I can say a few things on this... first and foremost, eating is much better. When I would try to eat healthier foods at first, my body would almost reject it. Now, if it seem the opposite, if I try to eat something crappy, my body rejects that instead.

Overall, I feel great. Everyday I feel as though I notice something different about myself that makes me happier - whether it be the fact I got some rest the night before and getting up was no big deal, to looking in the mirror and accidentally noticing some ab's being defined. Whenever I leave the gym after a workout, I feel great too.

I remember the first week I started going - I left and would tell a good friend of mine how great I felt. It just was incredible the feeling of doing something good for myself and just utterly enjoying it.

trooth
08-20-2002, 12:12 PM
Been reading others journals today - noticed alot of cool stuff. First, I signed up for Fitday and put in my daily intake for today (or so I have planned.)

Meal I: 1 Cup 2% Milk, 2 Cups Honey Nut Cheerios
Meal II: Snack, Kudos Granola Bar :angel:
Meal III: Pizza Hut; meat lovers pizza. 4 slices
Meal IV: 1 Can Tuna(2 Sandwiches), 1 Tbl Lowfat Mayo, 8oz Nonfat Yogurt
Meal V: 6oz Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, 1 cup White Rice, and 1 cup Green Beans

According to Fitday, my day looked like :
Calories ------- Fat ------ Carbs ------ Protein
1913 ---------- 41 ------ 231 -------- 153

I'll try to post this daily... that way I can keep an eye on my diet, and others can post some constructive criticism. :)

Also, don't think I need to put it but usually only drink water. Typically 3-5L per day.

trooth
08-21-2002, 10:26 PM
Workout
Date: 8/21/02

Squat: 205lbs, 1 X 8; 210lbs, 1 X 6
Hack Squat: 205lbs, 2 X 8
Leg Curls: 105lbs, 2 X 8 (Per Leg.)
Standing Calve Raises: 320lbs, 4 X 10

Food
Meal I: 1 Banana, Cup full of grapes
Meal II: 1 Can Tuna(2 Sandwiches), 1 Tbl Lowfat Mayo, 8oz Nonfat Yogurt
Meal III: 2 packets Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal
Meal IV: Protein Shake
Meal V: 6oz Boneless/Skinless Chicken Breast, 1 cup White Rice, 1 cup Corn and 1/2 packet of Chicken Flavored Noodles.
Meal VI: 2 scoops Reese PBC Ice Cream. :help: ;)

2237 ---------- 31 ------ 319 ---------- 174

Franjipani
08-21-2002, 10:46 PM
Been reading others journals today - noticed alot of cool stuff. First, I signed up for Fitday and put in my daily intake for today (or so I have planned.)

Yeah, its pretty groovy that site....IceRgrrl put me onto that - I hate seeing just how much fat I am consuming....but its pretty informative...

Meal III: Pizza Hut; meat lovers pizza. 4 slices
1913 ---------- 41 ------ 231 -------- 153

Now, I'm sure that your calorie intake for that day MUST have been more than that???? Pizza is the DEVIL tuttut.....

I must be doing something severly wrong....my calories are similar to you yet my fat is so much higher.......:confused:

Anyway, glad you are drinking copious amounts of H20......just like me;)

If you really need help with that Ice Cream fetish of your's...I will gladly oblige but you gotta want it BAD enough - my info is pretty horendous...:evillaugh .

Anyway, have yourself a wonderful day !

Cheers,

Francesca

trooth
08-22-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Franjipani

Now, I'm sure that your calorie intake for that day MUST have been more than that???? Pizza is the DEVIL tuttut.....

I must be doing something severly wrong....my calories are similar to you yet my fat is so much higher.......:confused:
If you really need help with that Ice Cream fetish of your's...I will gladly oblige but you gotta want it BAD enough - my info is pretty horendous...:evillaugh .

Haha.. I don't know. Pizza Hut slices aren't too large, and I went by what they had. I'm sure they were a little off...

I thought I read in your journal you're a vegan? Maybe thats a big difference between our diet? :shrug:

Oh, and do share with the help on the Ice Cream fetish I have... PM me if you'd rather share there. ;)

On a side note, I forgot to comment about how poor a workout I felt I had yesterday. Strength wise it wasn't too bad, but well, something just didn't feel right. Maybe it was the spring water I bought, it didn't taste right for some reason...

Franjipani
08-23-2002, 04:16 AM
I thought I read in your journal you're a vegan?

That'd be an affirmative...... you really were paying attention;) . Yeah, thats why I have to be really careful about my protein intake and the amount of "good" fats i eat.... Just means I have to properly monitor my diet...

Oh, and do share with the help on the Ice Cream fetish I have...

If you MUST eat it get the best on the market... Rather than cream from milk being used, the offal & scraps from slaughter houses are purchased and rendered for fat. Cooked tallow, suet, & lard are in ice cream - not REAL cream.

Some ice creams contain Diethyl glycol (emulsifier instead of egg), Aldehyde C17 (a dye used in plastic & rubber - giving a "cherry" flavour), Piperonal (in place of vanilla, which is a chemical used to kill lice), Ethyl acetate (for pineapple flavour - this chemical cleans leather & its vapors are known to cause chronic lung, liver & heart damage), Butyraldehyde (nut flavour which is also used for rubber cement), Amyl acetate (for a banana flavour - makes a good paint solvent) & Benzyl Acetate( used for strawberry flavour - which is a nitrate solvent)....

Doesnt that sound delish????? Ohh then they put in additives just to make things a little more sexy...:eek:

So next time you crave for an ice cream sundae, think of it as a mixture of antifreeze, oil paint, nitrate solvent & lice-killer...

Gotta luv a sweet tooth:D

Enjoy!

trooth
09-12-2002, 03:37 PM
So, many moons ago when I used to try to update my journal... :)

Anyway.. started logging everything into my palm pilot - will xfer everything here shortly. But, went for my monthly checkup at the gym today... good news.

Well, its exciting news to me. I started working out the beginning of August, and got my gym physical so-to-speak where they weighed me, did my BF, etc.

Stats:

8/5/02:
Weight: 190lbs. I'm 6' tall.
Bodyfat: 19.9 %

9/12/02:
Weight: 195lbs. (Still 6'.) :)
Bodyfat: 17.2 %

:eek: :clap:

I'm excited. I mean, I noticed the differences, but I'm just impressed I've lost as much as I have without much cardio. This is awesome... Figured I'd share cuz most ppl like good news. ;)

Franjipani
09-12-2002, 08:19 PM
ooops...... you already did update it:redface:

Welcome back !! Great news about your progress....it really juices you and gives you heaps more motivation...

Looking forward to reading more about your success:D

trooth
09-20-2002, 11:10 AM
Old updates coming in.. :)

Here goes...

Date: 9/9/02
Routine: WBB2

DB Incline:
40 X 11, 45 X 9

Close Grin Chins:
-50 X 11, -60 X 9

Flat DB Flies:
25 X 11, 30 X 11

Widegrip Pulldowns:
80 X 9, 90 X 9

Decline DB: (I use DB instead of the recommended BB)
40 X 11, 45 X 11

Rows:
100 X 11, 110 X 11

trooth
09-20-2002, 11:12 AM
Date: 9/11/02

Squats:
20 X 125

Leg Press:
20 X 180

Leg Ext:
15 X 105

Hamstring Curl:
9 X 80, 9 X 90

Standing Calves (Did 2 sets of standing)
25 X 260, 25 X 280

trooth
09-20-2002, 11:13 AM
Date: 9/13/02

I was sick as a dog. Bad chinese food is my guess, as it just made me... well, you know. Took today off and rested all weekend.

trooth
09-20-2002, 11:14 AM
Date: 9/16/02
Chest/Back
Routine : WBB2

DB Incline:
45 X 11, 45 X 9

Close Grip Chin-ups:
-40 X 11, -60 X 11

Flat DB Flies:
30 X 11, 35 X 11

Widegrip Pulldowns:
80 X 11, 100 X 11

Decline DB:
45 X 11, 45 X 11

trooth
09-20-2002, 11:16 AM
Date: 9/18/02
Legs

Squats:
20 X 135

Leg Press:
20 X 200

Leg Ext:
15 X 105

Hamstring Curl:
9 X 90, 9 X 90

Seated Calves: (Should've been 1 X 25)
13 X 90, 12 X 90... one set, 60 second break between.

Standing Calves: (Should've been 1 X 25)
15 X 280, 10 X 280... same as above.

trooth
09-20-2002, 11:20 AM
Date: 9/20/02
Arms & Shoulders

Superset (Shoulder DB Press, Lateral Raises, Front Raises)
2 sets of: 3 X 35, 3 X 17.5, 3 X 17.5
2 sets of: 3 X 40, 3 X 20, 3 X 20
2 sets of: 3 X 45, 3 X 20, 3 X 20

Skullcrushers (I use French Curl):
11 X 40, 11 X 50

Incline DB Curls:
11 X 25, 11 X 25

Dips:
-40 X 11, -20 X 11

Hammer Curls:
11 X 25, 11 X 25