PDA

View Full Version : Veet's Journal

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Manveet
09-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Alright, I've finally decieded to start my first journal. I have a journal that I take to the gym and write in, but I thought I would give this a shot. I've made quite the progress since I first started wbb back in Feb. I've gained about 25lbs, and increased my strength tremendously. Now, I wanna concentrate on hypertrophy. I'll be doin the same program as Mystic Eric.

MONDAY (Chest&Back)

Incline db press 55'sX15, 45'sX12, 35'sX10
(drop setted)

seated row 120X15, 100X12, 80X10
(drop setted)

Flat bench flys 35'sX15, 25'sX12, 20'sX10
(drop setted)

Lat pulldown 120X15, 100X12, 80X10
(drop setted)

Chins 1X7
(bodyweight till fail)

I decieded to throw in the chins since I suck ass at them, and I would like to get those numbers up. Overall it was a decent workout. As for nutrition info...well i'm not gonna really concentrate on counting cals, I'm just gonna eat alot and eat clean like usual. Tommorow is my first day at my new University, there better be some hotties to gawk at, cause there is no way in hell I'm gonna last in a two hour Political Science lecture.

Mystic Eric
09-02-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Manveet
Now, I wanna concentrate on hypertrophy. I'll be doin the same program as Mystic Eric.

***Excuse me, same program as me? Do I even work out? (My journal seems dusty)

Tommorow is my first day at my new University, there better be some hotties to gawk at, cause there is no way in hell I'm gonna last in a two hour Political Science lecture.

*** Key word is gawk. You never talk to girls. What are you gonna do? Gawk and jerk off in class? You gotta grow some balls man. You're a cool mofo. Take a chance for once, heau-meaux.

McBain
09-03-2002, 12:03 AM
hey manveet nice journal

Alex.V
09-03-2002, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

*** Key word is gawk. You never talk to girls. What are you gonna do? Gawk and jerk off in class? You gotta grow some balls man. You're a cool mofo. Take a chance for once, heau-meaux.

lol

galileo
09-03-2002, 09:23 AM
How much are you weighing now, Veet?

Manveet
09-03-2002, 10:05 AM
I'm at 185. I used be like 160 in Feb. I've been 185 before, during the winter of 2001, but then I dieted like crazy and by Feb 2002 I was like 160. If that makes any sense.

Manveet
09-03-2002, 05:26 PM
DAY OFF

Diet was pretty good. I ate clean, but I could have eaten more cals. Kinda hard to with school and work getting in my way. I went to my first lecture today, pretty interesting. Oh, and I met a pretty nice girl today too:) Too bad she has bf

Manveet
09-04-2002, 08:15 PM
SHOULDERS/TRI'S/BI's

seated db shoulder press 45'sX15, 35'sX12, 25'sX10
(drop setted)

lateral raise 15X15, 10X12, 8X10
(drop setted)

cable curls 70X15, 60X12, 50X10
(drop setted)

db preacher hammer curls 25X15, 20X12, 15X10
(drop setted)

seated db tricep extensions 45X15, 35X12, 25X10
(drop setted)

cable pressdowns 100X15, 90X12, 80X10
(drop setted)

It was a decent session, my numbers seem a little low, but I'm still trying to break into the new routine. My diet was clean as always, but I didn't consume as many cals as I would like cause of school. I haven't gained a lb for a few weeks now. I think eating enough cals is gonna be my biggest challenge from now on. Had another lecture in school today, it went well I guess. It still seems kinda early, but I'm not a big fan of University, or school for that matter, too much damn reading.

MonStar
09-04-2002, 10:13 PM
Werent you just doing my program? Push/pull/legs? Or am I confusing you with another WBB member...

Manveet
09-04-2002, 10:18 PM
Ya, I was doin that. Been doin that for like more than 6 months. Then I began to stagnate in progress, so I decieded I needed a change.

MonStar
09-04-2002, 10:19 PM
Ya, I was doin that. Been doin that for like more than 6 months. Then I began to stagnate in progress, so I decieded I needed a change.

Oh okay MV good luck with this new program. Chest & back in the same day is one helluva draining session. I cant deal with that workout. Exausting. Again, good luck.

Manveet
09-04-2002, 10:24 PM
Thanks bro. :):)

Mystic Eric
09-05-2002, 01:14 PM
People! Read this guy's journal!! He's :cool:

galileo
09-05-2002, 02:15 PM
homo.

Manveet
09-05-2002, 05:45 PM
DAY OFF

Damn, had to get up at 6:00am this morning to work. Once again my diet was clean, but I didn't eat enough dammit!! Well, I still have the rest of the day to stuff my face. Also, I think I'm gonna try to increase my water intake because it's been pretty pathetic for the past few weeks. I should aim for a minimum of 1 gallon a day. Tommorows leg day and I'm looking forward to it. I'm also looking forward to getting my free gym pass at my University, although I think I'm gonna have to wait for like a few hours in line to get it. Oh well, at least it's for free:)

Mystic Eric
09-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Pfft, does your gay university have Hammer Strength Machines?

Mine does :p

Manveet
09-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Dammit! My f***ing computer got a virus. I'm so relieved I finally got it fixed. 2 days away from the computer nearly killed me. Anyways, I got my free membership to my University's gym. I'll start training there tommorow, and update my journal then:)

Manveet
09-09-2002, 07:25 PM
Dammit again! I forgot to bring my journal to my University's gym today, so I could not record any numbers for my chest and back workout. I basically did the same thing as last week, but this time I tried to up the weight a bit and go for 13, 9, 7 instead of 15, 12, 10 in terms of reps that is.

Mystic Eric
09-10-2002, 01:19 AM
What an exciting update... now I see why your journal gets so many views :rolleyes: :p

Manveet
09-10-2002, 07:57 PM
Stay out of my journal assface!

DAY OFF

Another great day off I suppose. I ate as much as I could and still am, I'm keeping everything clean btw. Had another boring lecture in Political Science. I watched a small bit of an interesting program on TLC today. The program was discussing human skulls. One theorist stumbled upon and odd finding. (It's not rare to find that many cultures of the world practice some form of body mutilation, or skull deformation. For example the Nazca peoples of South America practiced skull deformation.) Anyways, the theorist received and odd shaped skull from a couple. The skull was very unsual, it had shallow closely placed eye sockets, flattened area on the rear of the skull, it was unsually light in weight etc.. The theorist came to the conclusion that the skull might have belonged to a human/alien hybrid. I know wbb is full of skeptics, and rightfully so in regards to a proposition such as this, but the evidence complied was very solid. I'm not saying I whole heartedily believe in it, but it sure as hell raises many questions.

ArjKing
09-11-2002, 01:10 PM
I don't get it, could you breifly outline your routine for me?

Mystic Eric
09-11-2002, 01:18 PM
:boring:

Manveet
09-11-2002, 09:51 PM
ARMS/SHOULDERS

seated db shoulder press 45X15, 35X12, 25X10
(drop setted)

lateral raises 15X15, 10X12, 8X10
(drop setted)

cable curls 80X15, 70X12, 60X10
(drop setted)

db preacher curls 25X15, 20X12, 15X10
(drop setted)

seated db tricep ext 50X15, 40X12, 30X10
(drop setted)

tricep cable pressdowns 100X15, 90X12, 80X10
(drop setted)

I know I've missed a couple entries in here. Forgot to record my legs, and my chest&back workout. I assure you that I'm not just training arms. Anyways, food was good today, and has been over the past few days. I've been eatin alot, and clean. Till the next installment - peace.

Manveet
09-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Btw ArjKing my routine looks like this:

I'm doin drop sets for all body parts except for legs. My sets consist of reps ranging from 15 - 12 - 10. For legs, I'm still doin the Chris Mason giant thigh routine, with a slight modification, I've added some ham work. My split consists of Mondays (chest &back), Wednesdays (arms & shoulders) with Friday's being leg days. Hope that clear things up, if not, Mystic Eric has it all laid out in his journal.

Mystic Eric
09-11-2002, 10:00 PM
I assure you that I'm not just training arms.

Liar.

Manveet
09-11-2002, 10:26 PM
Okay okay, you caught me. I'm a curl jockey.

Manveet
09-12-2002, 08:31 PM
DAY OFF

Another day off as usual. Had a decent day at work, ate alot. But other than that my day was uneventful. So instead of filling this post with useless crap, I'll call it a day.

Manveet
09-13-2002, 11:24 PM
LEGS

This was my first time doing free squats. I've usually done them on the smith. My numbers aren't very high. Also, instead of doing the basic leg curl or extension, I was forced to use one of the hammer strength iso metric leg extension/curl machine? I dunno what the exact name is, all I know is that I did one leg at a time. Furthermore, I didn't really abide to the normal leg routine where I do a giant thigh set, mixed in with some ham/calf work. Since today was a new thing for me (free squat/hammer strength machines) I basically did what I could.

Sqauts (excluding warm up) - 185X12, 185X12

Leg Press - 4plates a sideX12, 4plates a sideX12

Hammer strength leg cext - I only put a 35 on for each legX12 (I could have done more)

Hammer strenght leg curl - I only put on a 25 for each legX12 (I could have done more)

seated calf raises - 115X15, 115X12, 115X10 (this was very easy for me, I didn't change the weight cause I was to lazy to add/take off the plates lol). Those were drop setted btw.

Mystic Eric
09-13-2002, 11:45 PM
"You've tested positive for steroids, you're of the team!"
"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Dude, high volume is gonna kick ass!!!

Good job on the squats as it's your first time doing free weight squats.

Manveet
09-14-2002, 07:14 PM
DAY OFF

Crap, gotta switch gears again, I'm changing my routine again. I feel like MonStar. Anyways, starting tommorow I'll update my journal with some new stuff. As for today, it was good. I'm still eating, as I have several hours before bed time. Till next time...

Manveet
09-15-2002, 01:44 PM
ARMS

Today's session wasn't all that hard even though I did a combined 14 sets for bi's and tri's lol. I was doing 8 reps for all excercises, and I was supposed to go like 1 rep shy of failure. This was my first time doing this so I had to figure out where i stood on some excercises cause I haven't done them in a long time. That's why I HATE switching routines cause it always takes like a couple of sessions or more to figure out where you stand. Anyways here goes

EZ curls 85X8, 85X8, 80X8

Incline curls 35X8, 35X8

db hammer curls 40X8, 40X8

Skulls 85X8, 85X8, 85X8

seated db extension 65X8, 65X8

Pressdowns 130X8, 140X8

That was it. I could seriously have done more weight for some excercises, but I was so hestitant to try something heavier cause I was thinking about the whole "1 rep shy of failure, doing a total of 8 reps" Oh well, hopefully the next arm session will be alot better.

Manveet
09-16-2002, 08:59 PM
LEGS

I did a total of 12 sets for legs today, sub maximal effort, much like how I did my arms. Again, this was another "adjusting" workout.

Squats 195X8, 195X8, 195X8

Leg press 5plates a sideX8, 5plates a sideX8, 5plates a sideX8

Hammer strength iso-metric leg ext. 45 per legX8, 45 per legX8

Hammer strength is-metric leg curl 35 per legX8, 35 per legX8

seated calf raises 4platesX8, 4platesX8

I know I can do more for squats. Gonna try 200 for next session.

Manveet
09-17-2002, 07:44 PM
DAY OFF

Eating was good, not great. I haven't been eating scheduled meals perse. I've just been eating as much as I can, whenever I can, and make sure it's clean. Over the course of a year and a bit I have really immersed myself into this whole bodybuilding "game". I can honestly say that my training has evolved alot over this time. Sometimes I find myself questioning why I do what I do? I mean what am I training for? I'm no longer an aspiring athlete, I don't train for ego purposes, or girls (not because I'm gay, but training to get girls is gay) I've come to the conclusion that I if I did not have training, I wouldn't have much else lol. I guess the whole "game" keeps me busy, and most importantly sane. Anyways enough of this relflective crap... time to eat.

Maki Riddington
09-17-2002, 08:46 PM
Cool thoughts.

Mystic Eric
09-18-2002, 01:40 AM
DAY OFF

Eating was good, not great. I haven't been eating scheduled meals perse. I've just been eating as much as I can, whenever I can, and make sure it's clean. Over the course of a year and a bit I have really immersed myself into this whole bodybuilding "game". I can honestly say that my training has evolved alot over this time. Sometimes I find myself questioning why I do what I do? I mean what am I training for? I'm no longer an aspiring athlete, I don't train for ego purposes, or girls (not because I'm gay, but training to get girls is gay) I've come to the conclusion that I if I did not have training, I wouldn't have much else lol. I guess the whole "game" keeps me busy, and most importantly sane. Anyways enough of this relflective crap... time to eat.

Don't forget, we "Live for this Sh*t"

Marcel
09-18-2002, 02:12 AM
DAY OFF

I hear ya bro.

ArjKing
09-18-2002, 10:00 AM
I also do it to keep myself busy more than anything else. I find I get less depressed if I am busy with school or training all the time. Its when I sit around on my ass that i have time to feel sorry for myself. I don't really have any other hobbies or interests to occupy my time, nothing else really worth spending money on to me. One thing I do like is growing as a person, and I think bodybuilding fits this perfectly. I like working hard and seeing results in myself. And its not like writing a novel or building a car or something that you will eventually forget about over time, the results are permanent within me and willl affect every other aspect of my life. Thats what I love about this sport.

Manveet
09-18-2002, 10:25 AM
very true for me also ArjKing.

Manveet
09-18-2002, 07:49 PM
CHEST & SHOULDERS

Dammit! I have a one page summary/analysis of a newspaper article of my choice due for Sociology on Friday and I'm having troubles on how to write the stupid thing, I hate school. But I will get it done. Diet was good today. I weighed in at 190lbs lol, I'm a fat ass now! It's weird, it doesn't seem like I'm gaining on a steady pace, it's like I gain a bunch in a week, then I don't for a few, then I gain again etc.. I don't count cals so maybe there is some fluctuation there that corresponds with my weight gain from week to week.

Bench press 185X8, 185X8

Incline db press 70'sX8, 65'sX8, 65'sX8

Fly's 40'sX8, 40'sX8, 40'sX8

seated shoulder press 55'sX8, 55'sX8, 55's8

lateral raises 25'sX8, 25'sX8, 25'sX8

I was supposed to do another set for schoulders but I didn't feel so inclined to because I felt that 6 sets did the job. I also felt like benching today cause I hadn't done it for a few weeks:) All in all it was a good day. Now it's time for me to eat my pasta and read my Sociology texts:)

Manveet
09-19-2002, 10:32 PM
DAY OFF

Was an alright day. had to get up early for work though so that kinda sucked ass. My food was aight, ate quite a bit. I should really count cals, lol. Nah, I'll do it when I cut, it's more important then lol. I finished that crappy Sociology analysis. I actually am quite fond of the course, very interesting. I think that's it.

Manveet
09-21-2002, 10:52 AM
BACK

I did this workout last night, but I had other stuff to catch up on so I could not post then, i'll do it now

seated rows 140X8, 140X8, 140X8, 140X8

chins bodyweightX8, bwX5, bwX5, bwX5

lat pulldowns 140X8, 130X8, 120X8, 120X8

I was surprised at how consistent my sets were for my seated rows. I need to work on my chins for sure. That is all.

Mystic Eric
09-21-2002, 12:34 PM
Try going as wide as you can for the lat pull downs. You'll see a big difference.

Manveet
09-21-2002, 09:35 PM
Cool. Thanks Eric. Ya, recently I've been really trying to concentrate on using my back to pull for the seated row and lat pulldown excerises. I've noticed that my bi's don't give out like they used to, and that my back gets a better workout:)

MonStar
09-22-2002, 05:55 AM
Bench press 185X8, 185X8

Incline db press 70'sX8, 65'sX8, 65'sX8

Fly's 40'sX8, 40'sX8, 40'sX8

seated shoulder press 55'sX8, 55'sX8, 55's8

lateral raises 25'sX8, 25'sX8, 25'sX8

Nice workout MV. Keep up the hard work man. 185 x 8 is pretty damn good man, keep it up. :):)

Manveet
09-22-2002, 10:07 AM
Thanks Monstar:):)

Mystic Eric
09-22-2002, 01:19 PM
Manveet, whatsup bro?

For the first time of doing real free weight squats, and going really low, 195 for 8 is awesome bro!! Keep up the good work. I, myself, do 900 for 5.5.

:cool::cool:

Manveet
09-22-2002, 10:02 PM
Eric you are a loser

ARMS

Meh, this sucks school is pissing me off, among other things. I hate reading, I have to read so much it makes me sick, mentally. I had to watch "Erin Brockovich" for my sociology class, and then write a 2 page response to the social problems within the movie. I should really get started on that. Fu*k, i don't care about social problems, or anything for that matter. Diet/training was good today, the only two things that count.

EZ curl 85X8, 85X8, 85X8

incline seated db curls 35X8, 35X8, 30X8, 30X8

skulls 85X8, 85X8, 85X8

seated tricep ext 70X8, 75X8 (I should and can do more)

tricep pressdowns 140X8, 150X8

that was it. I have to wake up early tommorow morning for school. I wish I could just skip, or show up half ass like high school, but I pay for education now, so I can't afford to do that. Can't I just win the lottery or something?

Maki Riddington
09-23-2002, 09:02 AM
It's something called dedication.

When I was in college and I was on a fat loss craze, I'd wake up at 6:00, either run in the rain or hit the gym depending on what day it was, come home, shower, eat, and then go to school for the day. Come home, and go to work.

If you want it, you'll bitch about it but you'll end up doing it.

Mystic Eric
09-23-2002, 04:15 PM
Manveet = :cool:

Marcel
09-23-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Maki Riddington
It's something called dedication.

When I was in college and I was on a fat loss craze, I'd wake up at 6:00, either run in the rain or hit the gym depending on what day it was, come home, shower, eat, and then go to school for the day. Come home, and go to work.

If you want it, you'll bitch about it but you'll end up doing it.

:nod:

Veet how long have you been working out?

Manveet
09-23-2002, 07:02 PM
Dedication eh?

I used to be soo dedicated, i still am to a degree. I mean first semester last year, I trained EVERYDAY, did not miss ONE DAY for over 200 days in a row. Plus I took on a full course workload, had to write 4 final examinations, 3 of which relied heavily on whether I was gonna get into school the next year. This year, it's just different, I think I just need to adjust, you know what I mean. Marcel, I technically first stepped into a gym and worked out when I was like 12, My dad forced me lol. I've been trying correctly for about 8 months or something.

LEGS

Squats 200x8, 200x8, 200x8

leg press 5plates a sideX8, 5plates a sideX8, 5plates a sideX8

iso metric leg ext 45X8, 45X8

Mystic Eric
09-23-2002, 07:03 PM
Don't forget you used to be an all star hockey player up until grade 10 or something and then you quit because you wanted to focus on school since the chances of getting in the NHL were slim.

Manveet
09-23-2002, 07:04 PM
oops, I hit submit too early

iso metric leg curl 35X8, 35X8

seated calf raises 4platresX8, 4platesX8

all in all it was a good training session. My diet was/is clean, need to eat more though.

Manveet
09-23-2002, 07:09 PM
all star hockey player

I was good, a good player. Not an all star lol. Not an all star by a long shot, but for a brown guy I was fuc*ing awesome.

Manveet
09-24-2002, 07:10 PM
DAY OFF

Food was alright I guess. I haven't been eating on proper set times for a long while now. I just eat alot when I can, I dunno if that is a good thing, you usually want to spread you cals more or less evenly thoughout the entire day? Oh well. Damn, my computer is a peice of crap now, since I got my computer fixed after a really bad virus, I've lost sooo much disk space for some reason, the guy who "fixed" it did a **** job. I also shelled out like $70 for it too. I've been keeping up on my studies, unlike some people I know i.e Eric. Today before class I was sitting there thinking about when I'm gonna go on my cut. I'm gonna do it when I hit 200lbs, I'm like 190ish now. I've decieded that I will try to count cals. I think I'm just gonna up the protein level, and cut carbs down by half (I eat well over 400g a day sometimes), combined with 1 day of cardio a week. Hopefully I can retain alot of muscle. I'm actually pretty psyched about my cut phase.

Maki Riddington
09-24-2002, 09:28 PM
OOps.

Manveet
09-25-2002, 11:01 PM
Chest & Shoulders

I counted cals today for fun, I didn't count protein

total cals 4163.9
total carbs 530g, lol
total fat 111.1g

Bench Press 185X8, 185X8, 185X8

Incline db press 70'sX8, 70'sX8, 70'sX8

pec flys 40'sX8, 45'sX8, 45'sX8

seated db shoulder press 55'sX8, 55'sX8, 55'sX8

lateral raises 25'sX8 25'sX8, 25'sX8

that's it.

Mystic Eric
09-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Chest & Shoulders

I counted cals today for fun, I didn't count protein

total cals 4163.9
total carbs 530g, lol
total fat 111.1g

Bench Press 185X8, 185X8, 185X8

Incline db press 70'sX8, 70'sX8, 70'sX8

pec flys 40'sX8, 45'sX8, 45'sX8

seated db shoulder press 55'sX8, 55'sX8, 55'sX8

lateral raises 25'sX8 25'sX8, 25'sX8

that's it.

LOL no wonder why you've been gaining lol. Over 400 calories and 530 grams of carbs? LMAO.

Manveet
09-26-2002, 04:15 PM
LOL no wonder why you've been gaining lol. Over 400 calories and 530 grams of carbs? LMAO

I hope most of it is muscle :(

Saturday Fever
09-26-2002, 04:24 PM
I've been on a kick the last 3 days where I'm forcing down over 5000 calories a day. It's less than convenient, but I feel like a ball of fire when I get to the gym. And I gain weight like a fat lady in line for free samples for the 13th time.

Manveet
09-26-2002, 05:29 PM
I'm forcing down over 5000 calories a day

That's what I'm talking about, I like to hear stuff like that:)

Manveet
09-27-2002, 09:57 PM
BACK

Gosh, I hate back days. It seems like no matter how hard I try I can never really "thrash" my back. I never have any stiffness or DOMS the next day. I rarely ever have a pump during training days. I end up leaving the gym very disatisfied. I know that soreness and pumps don't mean sh*t, but it's important pyschologically. I've been really concentrating on using back exclusively on my lifts (minimizing biceps) it seems to help a bit, but I still haven't seen and effects. Oh well, I'm gonna keep plugging away at it

Chins BWX9, BWX7, BWX5, BWX4 * I really need to improve this

seated rows 140X8, 140X8, 130X8, 140X8 * I went back to 140
on the last set
cause I had the
energy.

Lat pulldowns 120X8, 120X8, 120X8, 120X8 *wider grip this time

That was it. The program called for 12 sets. I wonder if I should add more variation in excercises, would that help anything?

Manveet
09-29-2002, 07:30 PM
ARMS

Today I had to drop down from 14 sets to 6 for my arms, since that's wha the routine called for. Also I had to work till failure as well.

EZ curl 90X6

incline db curls 40'sX6, 40'sX6

Skulls 90X7, 95X6, 95X6

These excerises were more or less carried out till failure. I'm surprised at how my strength has kinda jumped on these two excercises over the past few months. My form was solid imo, it was all controlled movements. My diet was great today, I've been eating every 2 hours. I'm coming closer and closer to my cuttting weight of 200lbs. That is all.

Manveet
10-06-2002, 03:25 PM
Alright I'm back

ARMS

EZ curls 90X8, 85X6

Incline curls 35'sX7, 35'sX6

Preacher curls 65X5, 65X6

db hammer curls 40X6

Skulls 95X7, 95X6

seated tricep ext. 80X10, 80X10 (I did this using a dumbell, I could have done more, but my gym doesn't go past 85's, but it was all good anyway)

tricep pressdowns 140X10, 150X8

I went to failure on all of these, I wasn't suppose to, but I did. I was supposed to be like on rep shy of failure at the 8th rep, but I didn't feel like doing that. I wanted to kill my arms, I haven't in a long time.

MonStar
10-06-2002, 03:27 PM
Nice arm strength MV. Skulls are awesome man, seriously.

Manveet
10-07-2002, 07:16 PM
LEGS

Squats (narrower stance then last time) 205X8, 210X8, 215X8 (I just kept upin the weight on these, my squat strength has improved tremendously)

Leg Press 4plates a sideX12, 4+35 a sideX11, 4+25 a sideX10 (I usually do 5 plates, but I was so fatigued after squats)

iso leg exts 45 per legX7, 45 per legX6

iso leg curl 35 per legX10, 40 per legX6

My reps for some exercises were all over the place. It was supposed to be 8 till failure. But I had to guess at what weight I would fail at with 8 reps so i messed me up a bit. So basically I carried everything to failure, I know it seems alot but my legs haven't been growing whatsoever so I had to take drastic measures. As for my calves, I train them on back day.

Manveet
10-09-2002, 08:23 PM
Chest & Shoulders

Things felt kinda good today. My dad dropped me off at the gym, it was fairly empty and I had a good session. I felt very mediative today? If that makes any sense. My focus was better then most days. I think that's one thing I really need to work on, focus. Anyways,

Bench press 185X5, 205X7, 210X5 (my las rep on 210 was assisted)

Incline db press 75'sX7, 75'sX7, 70'sX8

Pec flys 45'sX8, 45X8, 45'sX8

Shoulder Press 60'sX7, 60'sX7, 60'sX7

lateral raises 25'sX11, 25'sX9, 25'sX8

I had to walk home after the session, it was dark and rainy, and I got wet, not that anyone cares.

Maki Riddington
10-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Your right I don't care. However I'm sure Erics waiting with a hug for you.

Mystic Eric
10-10-2002, 12:17 AM
Dammit manveet, you're stronger than me now. The only things I think I may have on you are Deadlift and Squat.

Dammit!! *kills self* :(

And paki, that was uncalled for tuttut

Manveet
10-10-2002, 04:19 PM
Lmao @ "Paki". I'm gaining some ground on the Squat Eric, but I can't do deads to save my life.

Manveet
10-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Ugh, I'm sick dammit. I still trained my back today, which was not the greatest idea. I hate being sick, I feel so weak. I'm not gonna even post my workout, I have a sh*t load of stuff to do this weekend and I better get crackin right now.

Marcel
10-11-2002, 08:11 PM
Being sick does indeed suck. :swear:

Nice dedication walking home in the rain after the gym. Shiat, I remember when I had to walk home after every gym session. Good stuff.

Get crackin.

Manveet
10-13-2002, 07:05 PM
Word Marcel, being sick sucks. On top of that I'm gonna fail my poli sci midterm. I mean I study and study but I just don't get this ****. Oh well, I've learned never to take a class of this nature again. I trained today as well, it went alright I was feeling about 90%, still kinda sick. I don't feel like posting the details. Come Monday I will be back on track.

Manveet
10-15-2002, 07:12 PM
I had a great day today. I finished the my hardest mid term, which went fairly well, better then I thought. I'm not really sick anymore either so my diet and training is back on

LEGS

I didn't have the opportunity to use a squat rack today, so I kinda went against my program and did a giant thigh set routine today

GIANT THIGH SET

Smith Squats 245X12

Leg ext 120X12

Leg press 4platesX12

ACESSORY WORK

seated calf raises 150X15, 130X12, 110X10
(drop setted)

Leg curl (drop setted) 70X15, 50X12, 30X10 (I'm so bad at these, my hams badly need work)

standing calf raises (drop setted) 40X12, 30X8, 25X5 (these were done one leg at a time, I need work on these as well)

Manveet
10-16-2002, 07:28 PM
Chest & Shoulders

Ooops, I messed up on my workout kinda. I was supposed to do everything the same as last week's chest/shoulder day, but lower the reps to 4 on each excercise, I forgot. I still had a great day

Bench Press 210X7, 210X6 (excluding warmup, had assistance on last rep of each set)

Incline db press 80X6, 80X6 (Yes!, first time I did this much weight)

pec flys 45'sX7, 45'sX7

Shoulder press 65'sX7, 65'sX5

lateral raises 25'sX14, 25'sX10

I went to failure on everything except for pec flys. My shoulder press numbers seem low, but I can attest that to the pre fatigue from all that chest work. I need a new excericise to replace my lateral raises, I tried an upright row today to test things out, but it felt uncomfortable on my wrists. I will figure something out for next time.

Oh ya, I weighed in at 198lbs. I was shocked as hell since i was like 193 like 4 days before. Must be all those carbs and the water, mostly carbs though lol.

Manveet
10-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Crap! I had another shitty back day. I NEVER have good back days, today just absolutely sucked ass. Last week I was sick so my back day sucked, today it was just gay for some reason. I promise next time I will do 100% better then today. I'm not gonna even bother to post this crap. Till next time.

Manveet
10-21-2002, 10:40 PM
Damn, it's been a bit since I last updated, no worries I'm still training, just no time to really post every thing in here. I'm soo close to my goal of 200lbs I can see it now. I will start my first major cut since starting my bulk at 160.

Manveet
11-09-2002, 12:08 AM
I still train! no time to post. Bump this shiat out of the third page.

Mystic Eric
11-09-2002, 02:46 AM
I still train! no time to post. Bump this shiat out of the third page.

The Calvinator
11-09-2002, 04:11 AM
you wanna get to 200??? eat!!!

Manveet
11-16-2002, 11:09 AM
*attempt at a meaningful post*

Well, I have reached 200lbs finally, and I'm thinking about cutting. I haven't been keeping this thing updated at all cause I've seriously lost alot of motivation with training, school and etc.. So I basically forced myself to train and my diet has been somewhat decent I suppose. After I up and left the gym last night without even completing my session I new I needed to change ALOT of things. I've been lucky with school so far, cause I've put in a half assed effort into it and I still have very good marks, same with training to some degree. On top of all that I hate my part time job, but I'm slowly coming to accept the fact I need to suck that **** up and just work. Most importantly, I have girl problems now as well :(. So yes, there has been alot going on for me imo. So i've decided tonight, I will start my cutting, I will go to the gym after work and do some cardio, then do some homework:) I'm just gonna start all over again I suppose, gonna be more dedicated to my training and education for sure. As for the whole girl thing, I dunno:(. Does anyone know of any remedy that will get girls off your mind? Anyways, I'm gonna be all about the training and school, and if the girl does not want to be more than just friends with me, it'll suck ass at first, but I'll be cool :cool:

*ends meaningful post*

Manveet
11-16-2002, 10:51 PM
Day 1

Wow, I had a great workout today. Just did some cardio for 20 min and some ab work and it felt awesome. I'm at about 200lbs right now and I'm gonna cut down to about 190, we'll see how it goes. I really have to get my diet sorted out. I think I'll just go easy on the carbs and up my fat and protein some, with the occasional refeed.

BCC
11-16-2002, 11:11 PM
Your workout sucked!!!!!!!!!

I'm just kidding, you weigh more than me :cry:

Manveet
11-18-2002, 08:13 PM
Day 3

Damn, i've restricted my carb intake to approx 200g, which is waay down from normal. My diet was ace yesterday, but today it wasn't as good. I still restricted my carbs, but I didn't eat very much at all today, but I still have the rest of the night.

Anyways, legs went good today. I was thinking about doing front squats but then I decided not to, cause I don't really know how to do them

Squats - 225X6, 245X4 (excluding warm up)

Leg Press - 5platesX7, 5plates+50lbsX5, 5platesX7

Hammer Strength leg ext - 45lbs each sideX5, 45X5

Hammer Strength leg curl - 40lbs each sideX7, 40 each sideX6

That's was it. I went back to a slightly wider stance on the squats, I just feel more comfortable that way.

Manveet
11-20-2002, 11:02 PM
Hi Kim!

Day 5

Well, I lost some weight, like 5lbs in a 4 days or so. I attribute this to a loss in glycogen stores because I cut down on carbs quite a bit. So far the diet is goin alright I suppose, I don't really fancy this "cutting" business, but I have to do it. Today I did my chest and back with a little bit of ab work. Wow Did I ever realise that my abs are weak today, I still have the muscle down there, but I lost a lot of strength. Suprisingly my bench went up today

Bench 225X6, 215X5 (excluding warm up)

Pec Flys 50'sX6, 50'sX6

Seated row 180X6, 170X6 (excluding warmup)

Lat pulldown 170X5, 160X6

One arm db rows 80X10, 80X10

Some ab work consisting of various crunches and the like.

Not a bad day to say the least. I didn't feel to motivated in the gym though, but I did some how push myself? I haven't felt too motivated for anything in awhile.

Manveet
11-25-2002, 08:55 PM
Day ??

kinda lost count on my cutting diet. I'm actually having a really ****ty go with this diet. I picked a really bad time to cut, I'm just too busy to count and tabulate my cals and ratios, which I think is very important during cutting. I'm at like 193lbs right now, I was like 200lbs about a week and few days ago, so obviously this weight I'm losing quickly isn't a good thing is it? My training sessions have been so so. I did legs today, tried front squats for the first time, I absolutely hate them! My back and abs give up waay before my legs, so I'm going back to conventional squats. I don't even feel compelled enough to post my numbers for this session cause it sucked so bad for me. I'm just gonna continue on with my cut for another 2 weeks, and then scrap it.

Maki Riddington
11-25-2002, 09:02 PM
A little bird told me your a big guy now. He also whined about how much bigger you were then him.:)

Great job !

McBain
11-26-2002, 06:37 AM
9/19/02 Bench press 185X8, 185X8

11/21/02 Bench 225X6, 215X5

nice one dude, not to damn shabby if i may say so myself (even though the stupid date is written mm/dd/yy not dd/mm/yy)

as to motivation, try to remember why you started in the first place, or visualise your goals. sorry if i sound liek a gay big teeth motivational speaker :D

i hear ya about trying to get those friggin girls off your mind goddamn always messes things up.

Manveet
11-30-2002, 11:53 PM
Meh, I'm so bad with this journal thing.

Anyways, I'm still cutting, another week I suppose. After that week, school will be over for the semester, and I can really concentrate on my training and bulking. I chose I bad time to cut, but I'm sticking through it, and learning from it.

Today I did some cardio for 20 min, some ab work and calve work.
I don't feel like posting any numbers, too lazy, lol.

Manveet
12-02-2002, 11:06 PM
I was thinking about it today, and I've decided to stop my half ass, ****ty attempt at a cut. This was supposed to be my last week, but screw it. Instead, I'm gonna continue to bulk, plus I just finish reading the first 2 parts of the Lyle McDonald interview, so I'm learning lots about cutting, so next time it will go alot better.

Anyways, today I had an incredible leg day, it went kinda like this

Squats (excluding warmup) 210X11, 210X10, 210X10

Leg Ext 150X12, 150X10, 150X9, 150X8

Leg Press 5Plates a sideX12, 5Plates a sideX10

Leg Curl 90X10, 90X7, 90X5 (those were killer)

Seated calf raises (drop setted) 150X15, 130X12, 110X10

I've decided to do calves twice a week. One day I will do seated, the other standing. Plus, I'm gonna go for higher reps for my legs now too. That is all.

Manveet
01-14-2003, 10:46 PM
*resurrects journal

Decided to start updating in here again.

Goals: I need to reach 220lbs, i currently sit at about 200lbs. I also want to bring up my numbers on everything, especially my squat.

During the winter break I did a short cycle of high volume training. lasted about 3 weeks. Didn't make many gains in the weight department, but sure did increase some of my lifts.

Okay, now I'm back onto a push/pull/legs, low volume split. I'm also working in a lower rep range, or at least trying.

Jan 14/03 - Push

Bench (excluding warmup) 235X4, 225X6

Incline Db press 90'sX5 85'sX7

Pec Flys 50'sX7 50'sX7

Seated db shoulder press 70'sX4 75'sX5 (shoulders/tri's were kinda fatigued at this moment)

Lat Raises 30'sX5

Skull crushers (excluding a light warmup) 95X8 95X5 (strength just fell, probably should have started out heavier)

Tricep Pressdowns (1 drop set) I wanted to do 2 more sets for tri's but I didn't know what I could do. Close grip wasn't and option cause of the fatigue caused by my normal bench. Over head extentions were not an option either cause my gym didn't have heavy enough db's. Next time I'll stick with 4 sets of skulls.

Weighed - 198lbs. (Dammit I need to eat!)

Mystic Eric
01-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Whoa you're one strong guy man. I heard your training partner over the break was pretty strong too. But I also heard he's stopped training?

Manveet
01-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Ya, he made some great gains as well. I dunno about him, last time I checked he changed his goals. he wants to "tone up" now.

Anyways today was my day off. However, I still had to go to school, which wasn't too bad today. My diet today has been great, I got in a good amount of cals at school, now I'm at home pigging out. 220 here come! lol.

Manveet
01-16-2003, 09:31 AM
Jan 16/03 Legs

Nothing like doing squats first thing in the morning at 8am. God I feel so sick right now, I think I'm going puke. I ate a big breakfast before I went to train, I only waited a half an hour after the meal, big mistake. I felt decent at the starting of the workout, but near the end I felt real sick.

Squats 265X6, 265X6 (I set a PR here, yay for me!)

Leg ext 160X10

Leg Press 6plates a sideX11, 6plates a sideX6

Leg Curl 90X10

Lunges 55X20 (Right here I felt real bad, I was breathing so hard i thought I was gonna pass out)

That was it, I'm gonna do calves on Friday with my back and bi's.

Man, I can't even have my post w/o shake I feel so sick :(

Mystic Eric
01-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Hey manveet, those 265 x 5 squats, are you still doing quarter squats? When I trained with you over Christmas, I remember that you did 250 for 6 quarter squats.

Manveet
01-16-2003, 03:55 PM
Hey manveet, those 265 x 5 squats, are you still doing quarter squats? When I trained with you over Christmas, I remember that you did 250 for 6 quarter squats.

:mad: I'm going a bit past parallel you dork!

McBain
01-16-2003, 04:08 PM
eric lieks to rain on your parade?

how's uni?

Manveet
01-17-2003, 01:27 PM
Screw you Eric.

Anyways, Uni is pretty good McBain. It's kinda of a long commute for me to go there, but it's a lot of fun for sure.

Today is my day off from training and school. That means I have to work, which is not bad. My diet has been relatively consistent over the past few days, I've been consuming a lot more. I've decided to make a bunch of chicken breasts and keep them refridgerated. This way I can slap two peices of bread together with a chicken breast and take it to school. I'm just thinking of all the convienent ways I can get more food in me when I'm up there other than shakes. I know some of you take coolers with you to work, I don't think that can be an option for me when I'm at school. I can just imagine the looks I would get lol.

Mystic Eric
01-17-2003, 03:21 PM
I can just imagine the looks I would get lol.

Hey! It's better than no looks!

Manveet
01-18-2003, 04:17 PM
Jan 18/03 Back/Bi's

Had a pretty good session at the gym today. My diet has been on in terms of # of cals for the past few days, so I'm happy about that. In general my training has gone so well that I've kinda forgotten about school. But I will straighten that out right away:).

BB rows (excluding warmup) 185X7 185X6. I've just started doing these a few weeks back. My strength on these is something I'm really looking forward to improve.

Seated row 200X8 200X6

Lat Pulldowns 150X7 150X6

Standing Calf raises (drop set) 85X10 60X8 50X6 40X4

Seated Calf raises (drop set) 160X15 140X12 120X10

Incline db curls 40X8 40X6

EZ curls 85X6 85X5

Weighed in at 203lbs

Mystic Eric
01-18-2003, 04:23 PM
sweet action man. You're getting right up there while i'm withering away!

Manveet
01-18-2003, 06:42 PM
sweet action man. You're getting right up there while i'm withering away!

Start training again you piece of worthless trash! Or else you will continue to wither away like those very gains you made over the winter break.

Maki Riddington
01-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Just call him El Skinny. Lately he's been skimping on his diet of cat and dog.

MonStar
01-19-2003, 07:25 AM
Good workout man. Incline curl strength is very good---more than I can handle for 8 reps. Nice work, keep it up.

Manveet
01-19-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanks Monstar, your comments are always welcome in here:)

So it was my day off today from training, I still had to work though. My diet has been pretty good today I would like to get in more cals by the end of the night (it's only 4:45pm right now). I finally found some dextrose at a local supermarket. I'm still uncertain if I got the right stuff. I bought it in bulk and it was called "Dextrose corn sugar" is that right? It was a white powdery substance, somewhere in between the consistency of sugar and baking soda. Oh well, I got a bag full of that stuff for like 2$ anyways, really cheap.

Mystic Eric
01-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Ya that's the right stuff.

Come online you jerk!

McBain
01-20-2003, 07:24 AM
this might be a retarded question.................the incline curls: are they curls while lying (sitting?) on an incline bench?

:scratch:

ectx
01-21-2003, 04:15 PM
Hey Manveet....here's a little somthing for you to eat with that dextrose:

tandori :spam:

'cuz I said I would

kick el Flaco's butt for me next time you see him.

Manveet
01-21-2003, 08:33 PM
You are right McBain. I dunno, I like them I get a really good contraction in the bi's when I do them.

Thanks ec, spams are always welcome:)

Just a quick update:

Jan 21/03 Chest/shoulders/tris

Bench 235X6, 235X4 (just set a PR with the first set, I should have went for the 240, oh well next time)

Incline db 90'sX6 90'sX5 (no messin around, went straight for the 90's)

Flys 55'sX6 55'sX5 (went heavier then last time, wanted to try these out, not bad)

Seated db shoulder press 75'sX7 75'sX5 (these were tough, had a spotter kinda help me out though)

Skulls 90X7, 90X6, 90X5 90X4 (I went lower on these then last time, really working on form and the extension, not bad)

Wow, my bench just keeps on going up. It's weird some days I can't press ****, and other days I explode. Geeze, I wish I was making this kinda progress on my bb rows, lol.

WillKuenzel
01-21-2003, 09:06 PM
LOL, if its welcome :spam:

I'm just the opposite. My pressing strength has pretty much become stagnat but my rowing strength has gone way up. LOL, want to trade for a while?

MonStar
01-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Incline DB press is nuts Manveet, keep up the hard work man. Really good work. Journal is looking great, as are your workouts.

McBain
01-22-2003, 05:12 AM
Manveet: f--k you and your bench and the (very strong) horse you rode in on.

:swear:

well done on the d'bell presses dued that is ace strength.

:thumbup:

Manveet
01-22-2003, 11:18 PM
lol, thanks McBain. Thanks for the spam as well HomeYield, I'll switch with you anyday.

Jan22/03 Day off

well, at least it was supposed to be my day off. I went to the gym to do some calve work for the hell of it. I have legs tommorow, I usually don't have the energy to do calves on leg day, so I did them today. Nothing spectacular enough to post in here today. Diet was pretty good, probably could have still had more cals.

Damn, I got two presentations and a mid term next week. Plus I don't have a clue what's going on in my linguistics class. I have about 4 days to get my act together since my first presentation starts Monday next week. Man, I concentrate waay more on training then anything else right now. I'm considering taking a break from training until I get my **** together with school. I dunno we'll see, I'll work super hard over these 4 days, see what happens.

Manveet
01-23-2003, 05:41 PM
Jan 23/03 Legs

Squats 265X6 265X5 (didn't feel as strong with them as last week, but nonetheless they were great)

Leg ext 160X11

Leg press 6plates a sideX12, 6plates a sideX10

Leg curl 90X11 (really need to work on these, want to be doin more poundage)

Lunges 55lb db's X20

That was that. Weighed in at 201lbs. Need to eat more! Damn, now it's time for homework.

Manveet
01-25-2003, 04:44 PM
Jan 25/03 Back and Bi's

Got started on a bunch of homework a few days ago and I still have a bunch left to do. Starting to get back the desire to do my homework again, which is a great feeling.

Today was my back day, I hate back days for some reason. I decided to back off a bit today on my seated rows and bb rows and really concentrate on getting a good contraction, with solid form. As desperately as I want to get my bb row strength up, I'd rather do it the right way.

Seated rows 180X8 180X8 (I started off with these instead of the rows, also went lighter then last week)

Mighty BB rows 175X7 175X7 (this was to failure more or less, damn I wish I could pull more)

Lat pulldown 150X7 160X4 (I wanted to move up, but I'm still not quite ready for 160.)

Incline curls 40X8 40X7

EZ curls 85X6 85X6

That was that. I tried to get some more ham work in today, cause they are lagging. However, my attempt at doing some leg curls was futile since the DOMS I had from thursday was still killing my glutes and quads.

Manveet
01-28-2003, 10:12 PM
Jan 28/03 Chest Shoulders Tris

Well, I did 1 presentation and my midterm for psych. Presentation went quite well for me. The midterm, I think I did pretty good on the multiple choice, and prolly not that great on the essay, I dunno we'll see. Just a psych presentation left for tommorow.

Training went pretty well today. I weighed in at 200.8lbs. Not so great, not eating enough at school. However, my bench went up again so I'm happy.

Bench 240X5 235X4 (Good solid reps with 240, bar speed wasn't too bad)

Incline db press 90X5 90X6/7 (Wasn't happy with the first set, so I took a rest, regrouped and punched out 6 with the second, got a little help with the 7th from a spotter)

Flys 55X5 50X6 (dropped down to the 50's, felt a better contraction, form was also solid)

Seated Db shoulder Press 75X5 70X6 (my chest was thrashed about now, and I couldn't really do my shoulders)

Lateral raise 25X10

Skulls 90X8 90X7 90X5 90X6 (getting my strength back with these)

That was that. I'm pretty happy with my strength gains, but I want be at least 210lbs before I think about a cut.

Mystic Eric
01-28-2003, 10:40 PM

Manveet
01-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Jan 29/03 Day off

Well I did my psych presentation. My part didn't go so well, got kinda nervous, stuttered, mumbled, forgot what I was gonna say etc.. However, my partners did a good job. I've learned yet again that I cannot just "wing" a presentation. I need to put more effort into them.

Food was better today then yesterday. Got in a decent amount of cals during the day. The bulk of my cals will probably come this evening. I might actually hit the gym tonight and do so calve/ham work.

Maki Riddington
01-29-2003, 06:08 PM
Eric's just jealous.

Mystic Eric
01-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Haha I'm not jealous... :(

manveet, remember the little bet we had? Of who could get to 550 first for Bench and Squat combined for 6 reps each? lol

Looks like i'm gonna win *rolls eyes*:rolleyes:

Manveet
01-30-2003, 05:46 PM
Jan30/03 Legs

Squats 265X7 265X6 (felt heavy as hell)

Leg ext 170X10

Leg press 6plates a sideX12, 6plates a sideX10

Leg curl 100X10, 80X7, 60X5, 50X4

seated calf raises 160X15, 140X12, 120X10

standing calf raises 80X10, 65X8, 50X6, 40X4

weighed in at 203lb.

Mystic Eric
01-30-2003, 06:52 PM
How are those quarter squats doing?

MonStar
01-31-2003, 10:18 AM
Chest strength all around looks good MV. Incline DB and flyes both look solid. Keep up the hard work man.

Manveet
02-01-2003, 08:50 PM
Thanks Monstar.

Feb 1/03 Back and Bi's

BB row 185X8, 185X6 (I suck at these)

Neutral Grip Pullups BWX7, BWX4/5 (needed assistance on the 5th)

Seated Rows 190X5, 180X5 (these felt tough)

Lat Pulldown 150X8, 150X6 (decided to throw in a couple sets of these)

Incline db curls 40X7

EZ curls 90X6 (only did two sets for bi's instead of the 4 usual, wanted to put those 2 extra sets towards back, it needs them)

weighed in at 203lbs:cool:

peace.

Maki Riddington
02-01-2003, 09:10 PM
Hot dang brown boy, you're gaining on me.

When are you going to grace us with some pics?

Manveet
02-01-2003, 09:17 PM
When are you going to grace us with some pics?

Most likely right before I cut, at around 210ish.

Manveet
02-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Feb 4/03 Chest Shoulders Tris

Bench - 240X5 (5th rep slightly assisted) 235X4

Incline db bench - 90'sX7 90'sX5

Flys 50'sX6 50'sX6

db shoulder press 70'sX7 70'sX6

Skulls 95X6, 95X5, 95X4, 95X4

weighed in at 201lbs. I feel tired.

Mystic Eric
02-04-2003, 10:43 PM
Looks like you didn't progress.. what a shame.

Manveet
02-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Looks like you didn't progress.. what a shame.

Ya, it truly was.

ectx
02-05-2003, 05:13 PM
Just kick his ass Manveet. I hear he's all skinny now.

Manveet
02-06-2003, 09:23 AM
*punches Eric in the face

I think that's much better ec.

Anyways Feb 6/03 Legs

I deceided to do giant thigh set.

Squats 245X10

Leg Ext 150X10

Leg Press 5platesX10

Some calf/ham work

Seated calf raises (drop set) 160X15, 140X12, 120X10

Leg Curl 80X13 (should upped the weight)

Weighed in at 200. Not bad for a early morning session.

Manveet
02-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Feb 8/03 Back and Bis

I decided to ditch the bb rows and start deads again, haven't done deads since last August.

Anyways it went like this

Sumo Deads 305X3 305X3 (did a whole bunch of warmups building up to these, kinda pathetic for a 200lbs individual, but I made some improvement since last August. I think I could be better at these if I really work on my form.)

Neutral grip chins BWX9, BWX6 (made some progress)

Seated row 180X6 180X6

Wide grip lat pulldown 150X5

Incline db curls 40X5, 35X6 (ouch I dropped on these, my bi's were wrecked after all that back work)

EZ curl 90X7, 90X5 (I took a few mintues to rest before I did these so I could finish today's session off strong, went well)

Weighed in at 202lbs. Now time to study for midterms.

galileo
02-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Excellent weights, Mr. Murdock... o O ( kill...Kill...KILL )

Manveet
02-11-2003, 11:14 PM
Thank you Galileo

Feb 11/03 Chest and Tris

Bench 240X6, 240X5 (I smoked these)

Incline db bench 90'sX7, 90'sX5 (I wanna make a jump to 95's but these are the highest db's in my gym)

fly's 50X5, 50'sX6 (these were tough for some reason)

db shoulder press 75'sX5, 75'sX3 (didn't get enough rest between sets, some moron wanted to use the weights)

Lateral raise 30'sX6

Skulls 95X6, 95X5

Didn't feel like doing the last 2 sets for skulls, called it a day after those.

weighed in at 206lbs. Damn, I was holding water I guess.

Mystic Eric
02-11-2003, 11:21 PM

Shane
02-11-2003, 11:26 PM
:thumbup: Manveet!

ectx
02-11-2003, 11:36 PM
:withstupi

Great going ManVeet. You bench jockey. :D

Coke
02-12-2003, 06:15 AM
Not bad :clap:

Mystic Eric
02-12-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by CoCoa
Not bad :clap:

*snickers*

Manveet
02-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Feb 13/03 Legs

Oh man, I nearly puked after my session today I went so hard. I really busted my ass today, my legs are a weak point I need to work on them.

Squats 265X8/9 265X6 (I dunno if I shall count the 9th, depth was fine but I slightly broke form. Nonetheless it was a big PR for me)

Leg ext 170X11, 170X9 (nice controlled reps)

Leg Press 6plates a sideX12, 6plates a sideX10 (next week time to add another plate)

Leg curl 90X10, 90X8 (I wanted to do SLDL's, but I suck at them plus I had little energy left. These felt good anyways)

Seated Calve raise (drop setted) 170X15, 150X12, 130X10 (these were tough as hell, I felt the burn!)

Weighed in at 202lbs. Needless to say I walked out of the gym limping after this one. Great stuff.

Mystic Eric
02-13-2003, 03:39 PM

Manveet
02-17-2003, 08:02 PM
Feb 16/03 Back and Bi's

Did this session yesterday, forgot to make my entry.

Deads (sumo) 315X3, 315X3 (felt really good, hopefully I just keep moving up as I get used to them again)

neutral grip pullups BwX10, BWX7 (made some progress)

seated row 180X10, 190X6 (180 was too easy this time around, time to move up)

incline curls 40'sX6 35'sX7 (kinda took a backwards step here, I think my bi's fatigue early especially from the neutral grip pullups)

EZ curl 90X7, 85X5 (dropped the weight down on the second set to concentrate on gettting a really good contraction in the bi's)

weighed in at 202lbs.

Mystic Eric
02-17-2003, 09:41 PM

Manveet
02-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Feb 19/03 Legs

I did do a chest and tri workout yesterday. But it was very half assed, and I basically quit after doing bench. I did complete the workout, basically going through the motions. So I didn't feel like posting anything from that ****ty day.

Anyways, I kept track of my diet today. Here's all the foods I ended up eating spread out over about 6 meals or so. I only calculated cals and carbs though

32oz 1% milk - 408cals, 46.8g
6 whole large eggs - 450cals, 3.6g
4 scoops whey - 440cals, 12g
3 scoops dextrose - ?, ?
10g glutamine - ----
4 scoops N large - 600cals, 87g
5 pieces w.w. bread - 557.5, 105g;)
1 T.V. dinner pasta - 305cals, 43g
2 medium chicken breasts - ?, ?
2 cans of tuna - 275ishcals, 0g
4tbsp flax oil - 540cals, 0g
1tbsp natty pb - 100ishcals, 5ishg

Didn't know the ratios for my chicken and dextrose. Grand total of 3693.5cals and 302.4g of carbs. This was a good day for me, I'll probably have one more meal to push me up to 4000.

Training

Squats 270X5, 270X5 (felt damn good)

Leg press (strip set) - started off with 12plates ended off with 2. (pretty damn intense)

seated calf - 160X15, 140X12, 120X10 (these sucked ass, my calve started cramping up bad, I need to really work on my calves though)

SLDL's - 135X?, 185X? (I was basically fried at this point, so I just repped out on these, can't remember how much I did)

weighed in at 201lbs.

Mystic Eric
02-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Calculate the protein and fat as well heau meaux.

For the chicken, you can weigh it and look it up in the Food counts book.

Manveet
02-22-2003, 08:35 PM
Yesterday's diet

6 large whole eggs - 450cals, 3.6
32oz 1% milk - 408cals, 46.8g
2 cans of tuna - 275ishcals, 0g
4 pieces w.w. bread - 446, 84g
4tbsp flax oil - 540cals, 0g
2scoops whey - 210cals, 8g
2scoops N large - 300cals, 43.5g
2tbsp natty pb - 200ishcals, 10ishg
3 T.V. dinner pasta - 915cals, 129g;)

total cals:3744cals total carbs: 324.9g

Manveet
02-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Feb 22/03 Back and Bi's

BB row - 185X10, 195X7 (didn't want to do deads since my lower back was thrashed enough from leg day. I finally made a jump on this excercise, gains like these always make me reconsider the notion of cutting)

Neutral Grip Pullups - BWX9, BWX6 (had a little assistance on the last reps on these)

seated row - 190X8, 190X6 (again I made another jump today)

incline curls - 35'sX9, 35'sX7 (not bad)

BB curl - 95X7, 95X7 (on the last few reps of my last set I rested for a few seconds on the bottom of my curl)

Didn't weigh in today. I will post today's diet as well as tommorows diet, tommorow.

Mystic Eric
02-22-2003, 11:00 PM

Coke
02-23-2003, 07:38 AM
:clap: Are me and Eric opposites or what?

McBain
02-23-2003, 09:41 PM
manveet when are you going to hit 210?!?!

Manveet
02-23-2003, 11:22 PM
manveet when are you going to hit 210?!?!

Probably not going to McBain. I'm planning my cut for the beginning of March. As much I as I want to be 210, I'm just gettting tired of bulking, it's been a year now. That's why I'm posting my diet right now, trying to figure out where I'm at in terms of cals and ratios. But as soon as I'm done with my cut, I'll be motivated to get to 210.

Yesterday's diet

3 large whole eggs - 225cal, 18.9pro, 1.8carb, 15fat
2 pieces w.w bread - 220cal, 10pro, 42carb, 2.3fat
2tbsp flax - 270cal, .4pro, 0carb, 29fat
few slices of deli style roast beef -?

16oz 1% milk - 204cal, 16pro, 23.4carb, 5.2fat
1 piece w.w bread - 110cal, 5pro, 21carb, 1.2fat
1 tbsp natty - 100cal, 3.5pro, 3.5carb, 8fat
2 scoops whey - 220cal, 44pro, 6carb, 3fat

1 can tuna - 130cal, 30pro, 0carb, 1fat
1 serving pasta with meat sauce - ?

Footlong cold cut trio (without mayo or mustard) 756cal, 40pro, 92carb, 26fat

16oz 1% milk - 204cal, 16pro, 23.4carb, 5.2 fat

3 large whole eggs - 225cal, 18.9pro, 1.8carb, 15fat
8oz 1% milk - 102cal, 8pro, 11.7carb, 2.6fat
2 pieces w.w bread - 220cal, 10pro, 42.2carb, 3fat

2scoops whey - 220cal, 44pro, 6carb, 3fat
10g glutamine-
2 scoops dextrose - ?

totals: 3476cals, 309.1g protein, 280.6g carb, 135.8g fat

Cals were prolly a bit higher since I didn't count my pasta meal or my dextrose. My carb count would also be higher. My protein intake is usually never this high (mostly around 200), but that's not a big deal. I'll post today's diet tommorow.

Mystic Eric
02-24-2003, 12:59 AM
You're not gaining 'cause you're not eating enough. That's why I told you to count your cals but you're like "meh i just eat lots" and now that you're counting, you can see that 3500 cals a day doesn't cut it for you.

Vido
02-24-2003, 01:15 AM
I agree with Eric that counting cals is important. However, the cals from the pasta and dextrose are left out of there, which I'm sure would put him over 4000 for the day. I would say that 4000 cals is plenty for a bulk.

Mystic Eric
02-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Mikey, he's been stuck at about 201 for 2 months lol

Manveet
02-24-2003, 09:15 AM
Ya, but that's because I'm not consistently getting in 4k cal. Especially on school days. I dunno, I'll be counting them today to see how many I actual get during a school day.

Manveet
02-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Yesterday's diet

3 whole large eggs - 225cal, 18.9pro, 1.8carb, 15fat
1 spinach/herb tortilla - 172cal, 4.6pro, 27carb, 5fat

1 can tuna - 130cal, 30pro, 0carb, 1 fat
1 t.v dinner pasta - 347cal, 16pro, 46carb, 11fat

Small portion of pasta

1 tbsp natty - 100cal, 3.5pro, 3.5carb, 8fat
1 piece w.w bread - 110cal, 5pro, 21carb, 1.2fat

3 whole large eggs - 225cal, 18.9pro, 1.8carb, 15fat
1 spinach/herb tortilla - 172cal, 4.6pro, 27carb, 5fat

Small portion of roasted chicken
Small portion of potatoes

Total cals: 3553 protein: 341.9g carbs: 216.3g fat: 134.8g

Not bad, the serving of pasta and potatoes and roasted chicken I didn't count prolly bumped all my numbers up a bit. Again my protein was higher than normal, all those shakes and tuna add up I guess.

Mystic Eric
02-24-2003, 06:35 PM
you need more carbies

McBain
02-26-2003, 12:03 AM
manveet you arent at 210 yet??

its nearly march you know tuttut

Manveet
02-26-2003, 11:14 PM
I know McBain:(

Arrrgg, I dunno if I should bulk or cut? Right now I'm sitting at about 202lbs at around I would guess no more than 14% body fat since I can still see my top four abs. I was basically planning on cutting starting March and getting down to a good body fat level, somewhere around 10%. My ideal cut would leave me at no less than 185lbs. But I don't know if it is worth the effort? A part of me also wants to be 210lbs, but I don't want my bf level to go any higher nor my waistline to get any bigger. I haven't gained an ounce in about 2-3 months now, probably because I wasn't eating a consistent amount of calories. Arrrrg

Anyways, I counted only calories today, came out to 3824cals. With the 2 scoops of dextrose I did not account for, that would push me to 4K.

Feb 26/03

Trained abs and calves. Haven't trained abs in many many months lol. Yesterday I had my bench and tris day, but I didn't feel like posting anything.

Decline static holds 3X25lbs held through 4 angles for 4 seconds per angle to complete one rep, total of 4 reps per set. I had to pause at the top for 10 secs between reps cause these burned like a bitch.

Decline reverse crunch - 2 sets of 12

variation of side crunche - 2 sets of 30

Seated calf raise(2drop sets) - 160X15, 140X12, 120X10 - 160X15, 140X10, 120X7

standing calve raises(2drop sets) - 80X10, 60X8, 50X6, 40X4 - 80X10, 60X8, 50X5, 40X4

Weighed in at 204lbs.

Manveet
02-28-2003, 01:50 PM
Feb 28/03 Legs

Squats 270X7, 255X10 (new PR with the 270)

Leg ext 170X13, 170X10 (slow controlled reps)

Leg press 6plates a side+35X7, 6plates a side+35X7 (these felt heavy)

SLDL 185X10?, 185X10? (kept these light, still working on form, these just torture my lower back)

Leg Curl 90X8, 90X5 (I supersetted these with the SLDL's)

SWOLE
02-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Maybe you should try to keep a strict diet and try to keep getting bigger. You say that you can still to see your abs a little bit. So if your diet hasnt been going so well, that might be the trick to staying and getting lean. good luck!!
but, if it was me... get huge!!!

bradley
03-01-2003, 04:34 AM
Manveet are you performing any cardio right now? Keep the cals up and throw in a little cardio a couple of times a week. It sounds as though you want to get bigger so I would just keep eating.

Manveet
03-01-2003, 10:02 PM
I haven't been doin any cardio Bradley. But since I've decided to cut, it will happen in due time. Yes, I have finally decided to cut. No excuses.

Veet's fat loss quest

Weight 202lbs
Body fat 15%(estimation)

Well, I was usually getting in about 3500-4000cals a day when I was bulking. I've decided to start my cut at roughly 3200cals and drop them weekly as they need be. My carb intake will be roughly 150-200g a day. I'm still unsure if I should include a carb up in my first week. We'll see how it goes. Protein and fat will go up slightly. Training will stay the same for the first few weeks, heavy low volume. Cardio will not be done unless it is needed.

Goal 10% body fat.

Day 1

Today's diet breakdown: 3490cal 325.6g protein 179.6g carb 145g fat.

Cals seem high, but in reality I think I'm sitting lower then that, probably somewhere in 3200 range. Since I didn't have a scale I coudn't measure the amount of roast I had. I need to buy a damn scale. Other than that everything else was in check. Oh, one of my meals consisted of cottage cheese mixed with tuna, I will NEVER eat that EVER again, tasted soo bad.

Manveet
03-02-2003, 09:54 PM
Day 2

Training back and bi's

BB row 195X7, 195X7 (made some progress, time to move up to 200 next week)

Neutral grip pullups BWX10, BWX6.5 (not bad, slow progress)

seated row 200X6, 190X7 (first time I've tried 200, not bad. Dropped down to work on contractions)

incline curls 35'sX8

hammer curl 40'sX8

EZ curl 95X7, 95X6

Diet

Total Cals: 2946, 297.6g protein, 154.9g carb, 93.3g fat

I did not include my two scoops of dextrose, that should put me in the 3200 range. Fat intake was too low today, I'll do much better tommorow.

Weighed in: 201.

Manveet
03-04-2003, 10:51 PM
Day 3

That was yesterday, nothing new to report. Diet was on once again. Right in the total out at 3115cals. Don't feel like posting ratios with this one.

Day 4

Diet: Total Cals: 3001cals, 290.6g protein, 162g carb, 110.8g fat.

These totals do not include 2 scoops of dextrose.

Training: Chest and Tris

Bench 245X4, 225X5 (bar speed on both sets sucked ass, not my day on these at all)

incline db's 90'sX7, 90'sX5 (first set was great, second was alright)

Flys 50'sx9, 50'sX9 (these felt like nothing, I took a break from them last week and now my strength exploded. I remember doing about 6 reps to fail on the first set a couple weeks back, so this felt great)

Seated Shoulder press - 70'sX5, 70'sX5 (shoulders' were fried by this point, I think I should rest longer before I do these)

Lateral raise - 30'sX10, 30'sX7 (these felt great, made some progress on them)

Skulls 100X6.5, 100X4, 95X3(wtf?) 95X4 (my strength has just dropped off on these, I think it's about time I ditch them, either thinking of incorporating CG bench on back day, or just do a drop set of pressdowns on this day)

weighed in at 201.

Mystic Eric
03-05-2003, 04:59 PM
Fabulous man. Just fabulous.

Manveet
03-06-2003, 09:22 AM
Dat 5 (yesterday)

Diet 3168cals, 278protein, 145.2carbs, 130fat

Pretty good again with diet. However it seems like I squeeze in most of my meals after about 4 o'clock. I should try to bring more food to school so I can have more balance.

Training - I was gonna go in and do some calves and abs. But I decided not to, save some energy for today's leg session.

Manveet
03-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Day 6

Diet 2908cals, add in two scoops of dextrose and the small amount of light mayo I used for my tuna today and I'm at 3200. Don't feel like posting macro breakdown today.

Training: Legs

Haven't been in the greatest of all moods lately, so I put in all of my negative energy towards training today. Payed off well.

Squats 275X6, 265X10 (absolutley owned)

Leg extension 180X13, 180X8

Leg Press 6plates a side+35X9 6plates a side+35X7 (owned once again)

SLDL 205X8?, 205X8? (I just repped out on these each time, owned on these, form is getting better and better as I can handle more weight)

Leg curls, supersetted with SLDL 90X5, 90X5 (these were tough)

Made a bunch of pr's today, felt great. Talk about using negative energy for something positive.

I did all this weighing in at 198lbs. Looks like I've lost some glycogen.

Manveet
03-07-2003, 01:58 PM
Day 7

I'll post diet tommorow.

Training abs and calves

Decline static holds(3 angles, 4-6 each) 25lbsX4, 25lbsX4, 25lbsX4

Decline reverse crunches BWX12, BWX9

Side crunches BWX30, BWX30 (2 sets per side)

seated calf raises (drop set) 160X15, 140X12, 120X10

Standing calf raises (drop set) 80lbsX10, 60X8, 50X6, 40X4

Edit*

Diet: total cals 3174. Don't feel like doing the break down. I'll do a breakdown for tommorow's refeed.

Manveet
03-08-2003, 10:16 PM
Day 8

Diet: refeed day, 3455cal, 223.3g protein, 488g carb, 52.6gfat

I did not add in the small amount of lean ground beef I had in my pasta sauce. So the numbers are a bit higher, but not by a lot.

My carb source had a good mix of both high and low GI sources. Next refeed I do will definately have more higher GI food sources then I had this time. All went well for my first ever refeed.

Manveet
03-09-2003, 11:03 PM
Day 9

Diet: Gonna cut down cals to about 3000-3100 this week. Carb intake is still gonna be under 200.

Today, 3083cals, 379.4g protein, 196.6g carbs, 109.6g fat

Not a bad day for diet. Had to use some shakes and protein bars to make it through the day since I was working all day

Training Back and Bi's

BB row 200X6, 200X6 (not bad, form could use work)

Neutral Grip Pullups BWX10, BWX(7)(last rep assisted) (no progression here, still pretty good though)

Seated row 200X7, 200X6 (pretty good here also, still can work on form before I move up again)

Db preacher hammer curls (drop set) 30X15, 25X7, 20X4 (had some assistance on these, they were very hard) *I kinda fooked up when I was doing my left arm, went from 30's straight to 20's, instead of 25's, after I completed my set with the 20's I went back to the 25's, not really a drop set there.

EZ curl 95X6 (last rep was slightley assisted)

weighed in at 199lbs (full of water)

GIS
03-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Nice work with the diet breakdowns and being at (or near) the 200 pound marker. I've deflated lately... damn school and it's bastard finals. :(

Manveet
03-10-2003, 10:14 PM
Finals do indeed suck GIS.

Day 10

Diet

2564cals, 322.4g protein, 40g carb, 104g fat.

Cals seem low. But they aren't. I didn't account for 4 slices of bread today. I got the bread from a bakery and it did not have any nutritional info on it. I weighed the amount I ate, came out to roughly 200g. So if I had that, my diet would be sitting at 3000-3100 for sure. My carbs would probably be something like 150g for the day instead of 40.

On a side note, cravings were really bad today. Well, near the evening time it was at it's worst. I totally felt like binging, but I didn't:)

Mystic Eric
03-11-2003, 04:54 AM
*eats ice cream*

*orders pizza*

aaaah, the joys of not cutting :cool:

What are you weighing at now?

Manveet
03-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Day 11

Diet, 2699cals, 282.4g protein, 97.8g carbs, 141.2g fat

Cals seem low again, but I didn't account for the bread again. According to the nutritional info of the bread I used to eat, 4 slices came to about 440cals. I know for sure the bread I am eating now as at least that many calories, maybe a bit more cause the slices are thicker. Whatever.

Training Chest and Tris

Bench 245X4, 225X6 (the 245 was tough, 225 not so tough)

Incline db press 90'sX6.5, 90'sX4 (lost strength)

Flys 55'sX4, 50'sX6 (first set was to tough, second was a lot better. Just not ready for the 55's yet)

Db shoulder press 70'sX7, 70'sX(6) (made some progress, needed assistance for the last rep of the last set)

Lateral raise 30'sX9, 30'sX7

Skulls 95X6, 95X4 (beginning to hate skulls)

Pressdowns (drop set) 140X10, 120X8, 100X6 (felt the burn)

Weighed in at 196lbs. This has me worried. I know I haven't cut cals to low. However, my carb intake has been low for the past couple days. I dunno, I'll just blame it on water fluctuation:D

* on a side note, my waist (obliques) seem to be getting tighter now, or maybe it's all in my head.

Manveet
03-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Day 12

Diet: 2673cals, 279.4g protein, 71.6g carb, 133.4g fat

Add in the bread and I'm at at least 3100cals.

In general I feel the cut is going pretty good. Hopefully I will have dropped a fair amount of bf before I start my bulk again.

MonStar
03-12-2003, 10:33 PM
Nice job MV on your chest session. Incline DB and flat DB flyes strength is extremely impressive man. Keep up the hard work. Diet seems to be right on.

Manveet
03-13-2003, 08:16 PM
Appreciate the kind words Monstar.

Day 13

Diet, 3024cals, 314.2g protein, 197.8g carbs, 127.4g fat.

Diet has been on today. These are the totals I'm gonna end up with after a couple more meals.

Training abs/calves

decline static holds (3 angles) 25lbsX4 (4s per angle) 25lbsX4 25lbsX4 (time to move up to 6s hold per angle.)

decline reverse crunch BWX14, BWX9.5

variation of a side crunch BWX30, BWX30 (2 sets per side)

Standing calve raise (drop set, 2 sets) 80X10, 60X8, 50X6, 40X4, 80X10, 60X7, 50X5, 40X3

seated calve raise(drop set, 2 sets) 160X15, 140X9, 120X6, 140X13, 120X6, 100X5

My overall form on both types of calve raises wasn't too bad, but could use improvement.

Weighed in at 196lbs.

Mystic Eric
03-14-2003, 03:16 AM
hey buddy, don't renew your gym membership at the pool yet. I-Quest apparently got Hammer Strength equipment. As well, vido is joining I-Quest and so is dave, and I'm thinking about it as well for the summer. I remember that they give discounts if a group signs up. Besides, the pool has DB's that only go up to 90 pounds and that's just weak whereas I-Quest has DB's that go up to 150's and it also has a powerlifting platform. The pool has no EZ bar where you can add weight so that sucks as well. Let's go check out I-Quest this weekend when I come home.

Manveet
03-14-2003, 10:58 AM
I dunno man. My gym is kinda convient because its so close. Like a 10 min walk. I know the db's only go up to 90's, but my school's gym goes up to like 120 or something, and that gym is for free. I Quest is also probably a bit more expensive anyways. I dunno, I'll think about it.

Mystic Eric
03-14-2003, 04:07 PM
I dunno man. My gym is kinda convient because its so close. Like a 10 min walk. I know the db's only go up to 90's, but my school's gym goes up to like 120 or something, and that gym is for free. I Quest is also probably a bit more expensive anyways. I dunno, I'll think about it.

Well are you gonna travel to SFU during the summer to train? I doubt the gym will be open?

Manveet
03-14-2003, 11:33 PM
Ya, you're probably right about the gym not being open during the summer. But if it is open it will be convient, since I will have 1 class there during the summer.

Day 14

Diet 3074cals, 310.4g protein, 165.2g carb, 137.3g fat

Diet was on again as usual.

Training Legs

Umm, I did something stupid today. I had about 600cals (1 meal and pre workout shake) then went to the gym. I should have put the gym session later in the day so I could have at least ate enough cals because I weighed in a miserable 193lbs:eek: It actually didn't make that much a difference in my performance.

Squats 275X7, 265X10 (set a pr with the 275, good depth on both sets, form was pretty solid as well, although it could be better I think)

Leg ext 190X9, 190X8 (moved up these as well)

Leg Press 6plates a side+35X6, 6plates a side+35X6 (went down on these, my legs were fried at this point)

SLDL's 225X8, 225X7 (moved up on these as well, still don't feel it enough in my hams, even though my form is good, I think)

Leg curls (super setted with SLDL's) 90X5.5, 90X5.5 (just couldn't get the 6th one on either set)

Not a bad day at all considering I didn't eat much before I had this session

Weighed in at 193lbs.

Vido
03-14-2003, 11:54 PM
That's why you should weigh yourself in the morning on an empty stomach...to avoid scares like that. Plus, it's going to be a more accurate guage anyway.

Hold up on renewing that pass too. Eric and I checked out I-Quest tonight and are still debating going there. It's really not that much better than the pool except the db's go to 130, instead of 90. You can't even use the Hammer Strength stuff unless you buy a personal trainer for a session and have him show you how to use it :rolleyes:

Mystic Eric
03-15-2003, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Vido
That's why you should weigh yourself in the morning on an empty stomach...to avoid scares like that. Plus, it's going to be a more accurate guage anyway.

Hold up on renewing that pass too. Eric and I checked out I-Quest tonight and are still debating going there. It's really not that much better than the pool except the db's go to 130, instead of 90. You can't even use the Hammer Strength stuff unless you buy a personal trainer for a session and have him show you how to use it :rolleyes:

lol so ridiculous. You have to pay them 50$ for the trainers to teach you how to use it properly.

Cute girl at front desk: "Ya, you have to pay it because these hammer strength machines are ground based..."
Me: "Your point?"
Cute girl: "Well for liability reasons, you have to pay a trainer to teach you how to use them because they are ground based and not the regular sit down machines"
Me: "Well squats are ground based too. How come I don't need to pay a trainer to teach me those as well?"

Haha I felt bad for her. She was only doing her job and I gave her the biggest hassle. Anyways, veet, we're gonna have to do something about those 90's at the pool. They definately won't be heavy enough for me after school ends, and they're already too light for you.

MonStar
03-16-2003, 12:23 AM
Nice job on the squats MV! 275 for 7 is really impressive. I havnt done squats for reps in so damn long, lol. Leg press strength is looking good too man. Nice work.

Manveet
03-16-2003, 10:46 AM
Thanks Monstar, can't wait till I hit 315 for some reps.

Day 15 (yesterday)

Diet: Refeed day

3056cals, 210.8g protein, 368.8g carb, 67.5g fat

Throw in a beer and my carbs and cals are up a little more. Wasn't the best day with diet. I didn't eat enough cals for my refeed, carbs were also not as high as I would have liked. Oh well, I'll do better today.

Manveet
03-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Day 16

Diet, cals are now going to be cut down to 2900-3000.

2908 cals, 255.6g protein, 112g carbs, 127.2g fat.

Diet was fine today.

Training: Back and Bi's

BB row 200X5, 200X5 (form was much better this week)

Neutral grip pullups BWX10.5, BWX7 (made a tiny bit of progress)

Seated row 200X6, 200X6 (solid reps, form was good)

Db hammer curls (drop setted) 30X10, 25X6, 20X4 (man these were tough as hell, lol)

BB curl 95X6 (felt like doing BB instead of EZ today)

weighed in at 195.8lbs.

Mystic Eric
03-17-2003, 12:57 AM
Good, your weight is back up a little. Btw, you're coming out with us Wednesday to go clubbing 'cause a bunch of american girls will be there and a bunch of us are going ;)

Coke
03-17-2003, 11:24 AM
:thumbup: Good work Manveet (If you don't mind me saying so).

ectx
03-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Manveet and company...stop hitting on our American womans! tuttut

Manveet
03-17-2003, 11:29 PM
I probably won't be going Eric. Last week of assignments due for school before exams.

Thanks for dropping by Cocoa

No worries ec, I'm no good at hitting up women anyways, lol.

Day 17

First of all, I can't believe I've lasted this long on my diet. I've been basically on the ball for 17 straight days. *pats self on back*

Diet: 3049cals, 277.9g protein, 119g carbs, 149.7g fat

Fat was kinda high today, it was the 2oz of unsalted peanuts. Everything else seems in check.

Mystic Eric
03-17-2003, 11:35 PM
I probably won't be going Eric. Last week of assignments due for school before exams.

Oh god come on man. It's not like we're gonna be clubbing in the middle of the day. YOu can do your homework then and we'll go late at night.

Manveet
03-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Dude, do you have spring break? I have school during the day on Wednesday. I have 2 weeks till finals. Clubbing is the least of my worries.

Clark Kent
03-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Manveet you got to come to bar and see alll the girls mystic dances with.
LMAO

Mystic Eric
03-18-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Clark Kent
Manveet you got to come to bar and see alll the girls mystic dances with.
LMAO

I'm gonna kill you Dave!!!

Manveet
03-19-2003, 05:24 PM
lol @ dave.

March 18 (yesterday)

Diet 2939cals (I didn't down the ratios that day, pretty much similar to my other days with maybe a bit more carbs since it was a training day

Training Chest & Tris

Bench 245X3, 225X6 (ouch, my bench dropped on the first set there)

Db incline bench 90'sX6, 90'sX5 (didn't lose anything really here)

Fly's 50'sX7, 50'sX8 (didn't lose anything here)

DB Shoulder Press 70'sX7, 70'sX5 (didn't lose anything here)

lateral raises 30'sX9, 30'sX7 (fine here also)

Pressdowns drop set 140X12, 120X10, 100X8

Skulls 95X4 (absolutely sucked. My skulls have been suffering for the past little while, don't know why. I'm probably running out of gas from all the pressing movements by the time I get to them)

Weighed in at 193lbs. (damn, I'm losing weight. I know that's the whole point of a cut, but I feel so skinny and weak haha)

Manveet
03-20-2003, 03:13 PM
March 19 (yesterday)

Diet 2967cals 268g protein 150g carb 136.7g fat

Training abs and calves

Decline static holds (3 angles, 6seconds per) 25lbsX4, 25lbsX4, 25lbsX4

Decline hip raise BWX15, BWX10

stability ball static holds (3 angles, 4seconds per) 20lbsX4 (these were hard)

side crunches BWX30, BWX30

Seated calf raise (drop set) 160X15, 140X8, 120X6 (really good reps)

Standing calf raises (drop set) 80X10, 60X6, 50X5, 40X4 (need to drop down in weight so I can concentrate on getting a good contraction)

Seated calf raise (drop set) 140X14, 120X8, 100X7 (I wasn't satisfied after my standing calf raises, so I did these one more time)

Weighed in at 194lbs

Manveet
03-20-2003, 10:20 PM
Day 20

Diet: Nothing new to report, on as usual, don't feel like posting numbers

Training: Legs

One word can describe today's session, weak. I lost strength on basically all lifts today, really sucked. Sucked so bad that I don't even feel like posting numbers for today.

Weighed in at 192lbs. I'm a skinny bastard.

Manveet
03-26-2003, 11:10 PM
Day 26

Missed a bunch of entries, been busy with things. Everything is well, past few days have been great. Finished all my assignments for school, getting ready for those exams now.

Diet update: Nothing new, everything has been still on, cals have now been cut to 2800-2900 range. I've noticed I'm not as hungry any more, and cravings for carbs have gone down. My current weight is about 192-192lbs. I've dropped about 8lbs since I started my diet on March 1st. My abs have improved, but not to the exent that I like, few more weeks of dieting and I think I will be alright.

Training update: Things have changed quite a bit. Since I lost some strength on lifts I decided to change things up a bit. Normally I was following a 4 day split, low volume, low reps, working to failure on basically all lifts. This is what my current routine looks like

Chest and Shoulders: 15 sets

Back: 12 sets (also do ab work on this day)

Arms: 14 sets

Legs: 12 sets

So that's a four day split. Rep range will be about 8 reps. This will be all sub maximal work, therefore I will not be training to failure on any lift, just 1 or 2 reps shy of it. I will carry on like this for 2 weeks. Week 3 will be the same, except I will be doing 6 reps, and going to failure on all lifts. Weeks 4 and 5 I will cycle back to the 8 reps sub maximal (I think). Can't quite remember what the plans are after that, it is supposed to be an 8 week program. I think Maki wrote this one out for Mystic Eric, so if either of you remember it maybe you can help me out.:)

So far I've done an arm, chest&shoulders, and back session under my new program. I'll post numbers for my upcoming leg day.

That is all.

Mystic Eric
03-27-2003, 12:06 AM
Day 26

Missed a bunch of entries, been busy with things. Everything is well, past few days have been great. Finished all my assignments for school, getting ready for those exams now.

Diet update: Nothing new, everything has been still on, cals have now been cut to 2800-2900 range. I've noticed I'm not as hungry any more, and cravings for carbs have gone down. My current weight is about 192-192lbs. I've dropped about 8lbs since I started my diet on March 1st. My abs have improved, but not to the exent that I like, few more weeks of dieting and I think I will be alright.

Training update: Things have changed quite a bit. Since I lost some strength on lifts I decided to change things up a bit. Normally I was following a 4 day split, low volume, low reps, working to failure on basically all lifts. This is what my current routine looks like

Chest and Shoulders: 15 sets

Back: 12 sets (also do ab work on this day)

Arms: 14 sets

Legs: 12 sets

So that's a four day split. Rep range will be about 8 reps. This will be all sub maximal work, therefore I will not be training to failure on any lift, just 1 or 2 reps shy of it. I will carry on like this for 2 weeks. Week 3 will be the same, except I will be doing 6 reps, and going to failure on all lifts. Weeks 4 and 5 I will cycle back to the 8 reps sub maximal (I think). Can't quite remember what the plans are after that, it is supposed to be an 8 week program. I think Maki wrote this one out for Mystic Eric, so if either of you remember it maybe you can help me out.:)

So far I've done an arm, chest&shoulders, and back session under my new program. I'll post numbers for my upcoming leg day.

That is all.

1. It would help if you ever showed your face online.

2. Which program are you speaking of?

3. Thought I'd bump your journal so all 3 of our journals (me, you, and dave's) are all side by side :cool:

Manveet
04-02-2003, 01:11 PM
Update:

I have finished my cut as of yesterday (April 1) I started on March 1, so that was 1 complete month on a cut. I went down from 200 to 190, so that is pretty good I guess. I'm gonna to start bulking again today (April 2) I'll be taking in 3000 cals to start, I was cutting with 2750-2800. My carb intake will be somewhere between 250-300. Probably 300 on training days and 200ish on off days. That also means that I will probably be taking in a couple hundred more cals on training day as well. I'm going to start off by doing some high volume training, like the program outlined above. Taking basically every set to failure. I'll do that for a couple of weeks, then switch it back to low volume type stuff, I dunno we'll see how it all goes.

Mystic Eric
04-02-2003, 02:27 PM
LOL I'd laugh so hard if on May 1st, you end up back at 200 at the same body fat as you were in March 1st. Why the **** did you cut??? You were lean!!

Vido
04-02-2003, 04:00 PM
If you were cutting with 2750-2800 then 3000 will almost definitely not be enough to bulk with. I understand that you are wishing to add extra calories back into your diet slowly, but I think you're just going to be spinning your wheels combining high volume training without adequate calories to promote growth. If it were me, I'd take a week off training entirely (I doubt you've done this in a while so it would be a good idea), eat at maintenance for the week (about 3000 cals), and then start with the high volume training the following week when you up the cals more. Just my 2 cents.

Mystic Eric
04-02-2003, 04:21 PM
If you were cutting with 2750-2800 then 3000 will almost definitely not be enough to bulk with. I understand that you are wishing to add extra calories back into your diet slowly, but I think you're just going to be spinning your wheels combining high volume training without adequate calories to promote growth. If it were me, I'd take a week off training entirely (I doubt you've done this in a while so it would be a good idea), eat at maintenance for the week (about 3000 cals), and then start with the high volume training the following week when you up the cals more. Just my 2 cents.

:withstupi

Manveet
04-02-2003, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the input. I probably will take the rest of this week off, it will be a good time for me to rest up. Besides, finals are coming up so the rest will give me more time to hit the books. Alright 3000 it is for the next few days. I'll go back to the gym on Monday.

Coke
04-03-2003, 05:20 AM
...lol, sure take the time off so we can catch up with some of your numbers man :p

Clark Kent
04-04-2003, 12:52 AM
dude are you sure you are taking a break ... maybe it was your bro at teh gym today ????? well have a good week off dude

Manveet
04-10-2003, 04:26 PM
lol, so I didn't end up taking the rest of that week off. Just took off one day from the gym, then was back at it.

I've been eating a base level diet of 3000 cals, I go higher sometimes, especially on training days, up to 3500. I'm basically slowing adding on the cals. I'm weighing in at about 192-93lbs.

I've been doing some high volume training as of late. Basically taking each set to failure at about 6-7 reps. So far it's been a real good change for me from the normal low volume stuff I usually do.

I also did my first HIIT session today. Man was it tough, I ended up only doing 5 intervals. 10s full out sprint, 50s rest. After the 5th interval my heart was gonna rip out of my chest. I'm still kinda confused as to whether I should add another interval next week so I would be doing 6, or if I should decrease my rest time. each week?

Today I also have a chest and shoulders session. I'll be doing that later on tonight. So that means my cal intake is gonna be pretty high for today, probably 4000 or a bit more. I'll post numbers later, and start to keep a track of things in here a lot more regularly.

Manveet
04-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Chest and Shoulders

Wow, my strength was not good at all for this session. Maybe the fact that I have lost some weight and I had a session of HIIT today contributed to it. Nonetheless, I still had a good session today

Bench 215X6, 205X6, 195X6 (I had a wide grip on these for the first time)

DB incline 85'sX5, 80'sX5.5 75'sX5 (strength went down here from last week)

Pec Dec 155X6, 145X6 (I find this excercise works a ton better than flys)

seated db shoulder press 55'sX7, 50'sX8, 50'sX6 (my shoulders were on fire at this time, strength went down here as well)

lateral raises 25X10, 25X8

Rear delt lateral raises 25X11, 25X8

Weighed in at 192-93lbs.

My diet was great today, got in a little over 4000cals. I felt really good after my chest/shoulder session today. I had a big pump in my chest for the first time, and my shoulders were absolutely on fire. I'm not to worried about my strength right now, I just want to induce as much hypertrophy as I can.

Mystic Eric
04-11-2003, 03:20 AM

Pec Dec 155X6, 145X6 (I find this excercise works a ton better than flys)

LOL when I suggested that, you told me that I was a loser.

Manveet
04-11-2003, 12:12 PM
LOL when I suggested that, you told me that I was a loser.

My appologies. Your were right.

ectx
04-11-2003, 12:23 PM

My appologies. Your were right.

yeah, but he's still a loser. :D

How long do you plan on bulking for?

Clark Kent
04-11-2003, 04:47 PM
Man did you die in bed after hiit ,.... i sure did ... i jstu passed right out. but next week will be better right? *runs away crying*

Manveet
04-19-2003, 04:48 PM
Update

Training: Everything is still going well, my strength is coming back finally after my cut. So far the high volume stuff isn't killing my body yet.

Diet: Bulking this time around is going much better, I'm eating 4000cals a day right now, keeping carbs 300g and under. I also cut out some of the bread I used to eat, replaced it with 100% whole wheat pitas. The pitas are probably not the best source of carbs, but I think it's a lot better than bread. I'll try to incorporate some more rice, yams and the like into my diet.

HIIT: Finished my second session today. I managed to add in another interval, I did 6 today. My goodness, HIIT is tough as hell. The sprinting just puts strain on my entire body. I was really fatigued today, probably because I trained legs early in the morning. I gotta do HIIT on an off day, I think I'll find it much better.

That is all for now.

Manveet
04-20-2003, 02:08 PM
Update

I thought I'd throw in another little update.

My hams are pretty stiff right now from the leg session and the HIIT. I ate 700cals more than usual yesterday to compensate for the intense excercise, and I had a good nights sleep, about 10hours.

Today I did arms, energy level was pretty good, I hit a pr with my curls:

EZ curls 105X7!

I've also realised I might need to drop a little weight from my skulls and CG Bench in order to clean up my form and really isolate the tris.

I have the rest of today and tommorow completely off to eat and rest up. Feels good to be done school.

Blood&Iron
04-28-2003, 08:57 PM
As promised. BLeh. Hopefully no one has a problem with their PMs being shared. Since they don't contain anything personal, I don't figure it should be an issue. I've removed everyone's names in any case. If you see your PM here and are still miffed, let me know and I'll ablate myself a bit.

Blood&Iron wrote on 10-20-2002 01:25 PM:

____________ wrote on 10-19-2002 10:15 AM:
Hi. We've never talked, but I've read your journal, and it convinced me to give HST a try (I'm sure you've heard that).

Anyway, I've posted this question at the HST forum, but I'm not getting much advice.

I need clarification, I guess. I heard you're supposed to *never* go to failure. But the thing is, and this really really confuses me, I thought the point of testing the 15, 10 and 5 RM's was to find out what weights we would reach failure on at those rep ranges. Therefore, every two weeks, an HST-er would be training to failure.

Now I'm told *never* to train failure.

What's up?

I guess here's what I'm asking (trying to be specific):

1) Are the RM's supposed to be the weight on which I reach failure (ie--can't do a rep more than 15, or one more rep than 10, or one more rep than 5, you get the idea)?

Yes, but most people will gain some strength(especially, if not dieting) so that by the time they hit their previously established rep maxes for a given micro-cycle, they're a bit stronger. So, by the time you hit your established rep maxes, you might find you have another rep or two left in you.

2) If the above is not correct, should I be doing less than the my failure weight on the last day of each microcycle?

Just aim for your tested max. You can either choose to stop once you hit that rep/poundage, or, if so inclined, add a little weight or keep going past the specified number of reps till you hit failure. If you're 'zig-zagging'(i.e. you're using less weight for the first few workouts of the the next rep range than you did for the final workout of the previous microcycle) I think you'll be more able to handle going to failure if you use this approach, than if you're using linear progression(e.g. the first workout of the 10's you're still using more weight than on the final workout of the 15's.)

3) I thought I was supposed to train to failure once each microcycle. Is that correct?

Failure is incidental to HST's approach. It has more to do with your CNS than anything. It's certainly not necessary to hit failure to foster muscle growth. HST is based on the idea that muscle growth is primarily mediated by the chemical/hormonal responses that your body produces in response to the microtrauma caused by lifting(There's a series of articles on this over at www.thinkmuscle that goes into great detail on this subject. It's called 'Advanced Training for Size and Strength' or something and is by Haycock. These articles predate the formal specification of HST.) Going to failure is a nice way to see how much stronger you've gotten, but it's fine if you just hit your previous RM. This is actually what Haycock himself does. I typically go to failure on some exercises at the end of each rep range, and not to failure on others.

I'm very confused. Please help. I'm asking you because you seem to know your way around HST. Please help me out.

Hope that helps.

Blood&Iron wrote on 11-03-2002 06:53 PM:

_____________ wrote on 11-03-2002 05:38 PM:
Dude, estimating these maxes is pretty difficult. I've already taken quite a bit of time off and would like to start up on Monday (when my lifting partner is coming down).

So far I'm using 75% of my 1RM to determine 10RM, as some calculators do, and I'm guessing some other stuff. Do you do it with experiment or estimate?

For my first cycle I took a week and tested all my maxes(e.g. 15's on Monday, 10's on Wednesday, 5's on Friday) then took a week off for SD, then started. During subsequent cycles, I didn't retest for new exercises. I've generally been much less happy on how things go down with a pre-established max--it's a lot more difficult to get things right. In general, I think it's fairly important that one pretest his maxes. But since you've already, taken a bunch of time off, I guess there's not much to be done. If you estimate, I'd try to really be conservative for the 15's and 10's as you'll probably be quite a bit weaker than you think(At least I was) If you realized you've underestimated(The workouts don't start to become slightly difficult by the 3rd or 4th workout) you can then just increase your increments a bit. If you overestimate, and your nearing failure on the 3rd of 4th workout and having to sacrifice form it's a bit ****tier. But you can still work around it by keeping the weight static for 1-2 sessions--shouldn't f*ck things up too much.

Blood&Iron wrote on 12-25-2002 09:28 PM:

________________ wrote on 12-25-2002 05:02 PM:
I just read your response in the Best results poll. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on HST. I noticed that reading your journal, that you seem to train much more for size than you do for strength. Do you feel that HST yeilds the best results for this? You lost very little muscle while dieting on this type of program? What sort of diet did you follow?

Yeah, I think HST is as good, if not better, than anything else I've tried. Here's a link to a repost of my thoughts on HST after my first cycle:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=276100&highlight=HST#post276100

I was dieting at about 2400kcal or so (near isocaloric, e.g. 33% carbs, 33% protein, 33% fat) per day with 1.5 day long refeeds (200g protein, 600g carbs, 40g fat) every 3-4 days. Did HST three days a week along with low-intensity cardio on my off-days. I was also using pretty high dosage EC. My old journals have much more specific info.

And the last question being what sites would you reccomend for reaserching the type of HST program that you are recommending? Thanks for the help man. Sorry to ask so many questions. BTW you seem to have made excellant progress over tha last year.

No, problem. Thanks for the compliments. No doubt as to which site you should check out. Go here:
www.hypertrophy-specific.com
There are a number of articles summarizing the approach, and a forum full of helpful folks.

Hope that helps.

Blood&Iron wrote on 12-25-2002 09:51 PM:

______________ wrote on 12-25-2002 07:46 PM:
Thank you so much for the info man. I have only 2 more questions. So the training was good for maintaining muscle, but have you tried it with bulking, how sucessful was it for increasing size.

Yeah, I used it while bulking. Here's a summary:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=244017&highlight=One%2FAndrospray#post244017

And the last question when you say cycle are you refering to the HST cycle, or AAS cycle?

Thank s B&I

HST cycle. I don't use anabolics. Well, not the illegal variety anyway; I've done two two week cycles of Avant Labs One.

Blood&Iron wrote on 12-29-2002 07:51 PM:
Sorry for the delay in my response. Anyway...

___________ wrote on 12-27-2002 07:05 PM:
upon reading your post in belials thread again, I noticed that you said you got best results while not following full body 3x a week hst.

Most rapid size gains I've had, and the best preservation of muscle while dieting, has occurred while using HST (not necessarily the traditional, full-body, 3x a week HST, however

how did you split it up and do it?

just curious

____________ wrote on 12-28-2002 02:21 PM:
In connection with my previous PM, it seems that you splitted your HST routine to a standard split. Would you explain how and why you split it like you did, and not the standard 3x week full body split. Which would you recommend?

I've tried a couple different things. My first cycle was cookie cutter HST (i.e. full body, 3X a week, etc) Then, for my 2nd HST cycle I decided to try something a bit different. First, though, I ran it by Bryan Haycock; here's my post (which gives explains why I did what I did) and his response:
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=203818&highlight=Arnold+Routine#post203818

I adopted his suggestions.

Then on my 3rd cycle (while dieting) I decided to try what Bryan himself had said he does while dieting (splitting up the volume of regular HST into a morning and an evening workout--both full body) Here's a brief overview:

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=269404&highlight=Bryan+Haycocks+routine#post269404

Since you haven't done HST before, I'd really recommend sticking to the standard interpretation of HST and see how that works out for you. If you do additional HST cycles that's when you can start modifying things.

Hope that helps.

Blood&Iron wrote on 12-30-2002 12:25 AM:

_________ wrote on 12-29-2002 06:44 PM:
No problem at all. You are the one who is helping me. Take as much time as you want to respond :)

Ok for my first cycle, i will be doing the 3x week full body. When i find a list of excersises i will send it to you. Would you reccommend just doing the standard list that he gives on the chart on the main page?

Are there any specific excersises you would add or subtract from this set?

Well, I think the sample routine is fairly solid. In general, I prefer to alternate antagonistic muslce groups, though. Also, I've found that squatting/DL'ing three times a week is simply too much for my lower back; you might be able to get away with it, but I'm doubtful (Even Haycock recommends against it). Anyways, here's something along the lines of what I'd personally recommend:

Deadlift/Leg Press (alternating every other session)
Leg Curl
Chins
Incline DB Press
Rows
Dips
DB Overhead Press
Shrugs
Rear-Delt Flyes
Some kind of curl
Weighted Crunch
Calf Raises

Do a search on HST on these forums and you should find plenty of my suggestions/posts on this subject. Also, the HST forums are full of great info (Most of the really great posts I've cross-posted here, so searching on user: 'Blood&Iron' and keyword: 'HST', with the 'sort by post' option checked should pull up most of it, though).

HOpe that helps.

Blood&Iron wrote on 12-30-2002 12:40 AM:

________ wrote on 12-29-2002 10:29 PM:
ok last question for a while. I promise :). You would do deadlift/legpress alternating, instead of squat/leg press? WHy is this? Wouldnt a squat be much more useful? What is your reasoning behind that.

I will be on my cable internet starting wednesday, so i wont have to ask questions so much, it will be easier to browse the forums, but right now it is next to impossible with this super duperly slow dial up.

You are extremely helpful.

Personal preference mostly. I've hurt myself squatting and have been convinced by folks like Matt Bryzcki (perhaps mistakenly) that it is, fundamentally, an orthopedically unsound movement. It places far too much force on the lower verterbrae unless you have the proper body proportions. Deadlifting hits most of the same muscles without the drawbacks; they both hit the lower body wonderfully. But if you use the deadlift you can drop the shrugs (which I mistakenly included in the sample routine). If you really want to squat that's fine. If you're alternating squatting/leg press, I'd do stiff-legged deadlifts with the squats, and leg curls with the leg press (i.e alternating sldl's and leg curls)

Manveet
04-28-2003, 10:14 PM
Awesome, thanks for taking the time B&I.

Manveet
05-13-2003, 08:56 PM
HST.

I'm into my second week of 15s with HST. So far so good. However, I don't think even gained a pound from the first week, despite my calories being a consistant 3500, which kinda bugs me. But then again, I'm never consistant when I weigh myself, so I might have gained, but I don't know. At any rate, I'll be bumping up my cals to 3700 for this week.

An interesting note however, I did some cold measurements the other day just for fun. The last time I did measurements cold was Apr 23. The interesting thing was that I gained a little bit all over my body, except for my waist where I lost an inch? I'm quite certain I measured in the exact same spots, but not the same time of day therefore diet, water/sodium retention, glycogen stores might have had an effect?

Anyways, today's workout

AM session

Squat 185X15

SLDL 170X15

Bench 160X15, 160X15 (zig zagged from last session, second set came close to failure for some reason, should have rested longer)
Wide Grip pulldowns 110X15, 110X15

Seated db shoulder press 45'sX15(moved up to the 45's instead of the planned 40's)

Lateral Raise 20X15

EZ curl 65X15

Pressdowns 140X15

PM Session

Squat 185X15

Standing Calf raise with db 45'sX15 (zig zagged from last session, these are coming real close to failure)

Seated Calf raise machine 145X15

Seated row 145X15, 145X15

Low incline db's 55X15 (these were really easy, moving up more than planned for next session)

Shrugs with db's 55X15

Bent over later raise 20'sX15

EZ curl 65X15

Skulls 75X15

Abs (rope crunches on pulley system) 155X15, 155X15

That was it.

Manveet
05-15-2003, 10:57 PM
AM session

Squat 200X15
SLDL 185X15
Bench 165X15, 165X15
Seated row 150X15
Wide grip pulldowns 115X15 (these are too easy, try to move up an extra 5lbs on saturday)
Seated db shoulder press 50'sX14 (awe hell, I basically failed, or came real damn close here. No worries though, this is the second to last session of 15's anyways)
Lateral raises 25'sX15
EZ curls 70X15
Pressdowns 150X15

PM session

SLDL 185X15
standing calf raises 45'sX15 (I've zig zagged this weight for about 3 sessions, I grossly over estimated my strength with these, lol)
seated calf raises 150X15
seated row 150X15
wide grip lat pulldown 115X15
low incline db press 60'sX15 (these felt easy, might move up an extra 5lbs for saturday)
EZ curl 70X15
Skulls 80X15
rear lateral raises 25X15
shrugs db's 60'sX15 (easy, might move an extra 5lbs for next time)
Abs - Nil (didn't feel like doing them today, lazy)

Today's session went by okay I guess, except for the shoulder press mishap. I feel tempted to add volume right now, especially for my legs, as I "feel" that I haven't worked them enough or something. But I will resist, I think once I get into the 10's and 5's my legs, and the rest of my body will definately feel the full effect of this program.

Diet was great today, just like everyday. I actually went over my goal of 3800 cal a day, more close to 4000, which is fine since I'm bulking cleanly, and I haven't really gained any weight in awhile.

So far, I haven't noticed any changes on the scale, however I look bit leaner in the mirror, and maybe even a little bigger. But then again, it can all be in my head.

Airflight89
05-16-2003, 12:22 AM
Any reason why you are splitting it into a AM and PM session instead of the traditional routine from the HST site?

Maki Riddington
05-16-2003, 09:28 AM

*** Words of wisdom spoken from the old man on the mountain.
Btw, where are those pics of you?

Manveet
05-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Airflight89
Any reason why you are splitting it into a AM and PM session instead of the traditional routine from the HST site?

It still is the traditional routine. I've split it up cause It would have been too much for me to do in one session, something like 20 sets. With the AM/PM split I'm in the gym for no longer than 40 minutes a session, which I like.

Maki: I have somewhat followed Vido's advice. I did an 8 day SD before starting hst, where I was consuming no more than 3000cals. I just started adding cals couple weeks ago. I'll be real pissed if I see no change on the scale next week. I *might* take some pics at the end of my hst cycle, *might*.

Maki Riddington
05-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Booooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Manveet
05-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Nothing real new to post. Finished off my last day of 15s. I only failed on bench, on the 14th rep and shoulder press on 13th rep. Most other excercises I was about 1 or two reps shy. Now I'm on to the 10's. For the 10's I'm gonna add another set for my legs, bringing the total up to 4, and take away a set from my back, bringing them to a total of 3. Other than that, I've got a couple days off, might do some cardio on Monday.

Mystic Eric
05-18-2003, 12:49 AM
Isn't that shirt that I bought today sexy???

Manveet
05-23-2003, 01:11 PM
Update

I'm into my first week with 10's, so far so good. Diet has been perfect all the way through, I've gained a few pounds as well, don't know the exact number but somewhere around 3lbs. I've noticed that my arms have come back to size they once were before I started cutting a while back. Overall, I look a little more bulkier, which is a plus. I'm hoping to get to at least a fairly lean 210lbs by the end of August, so far I'm right on track.

Manveet
05-25-2003, 10:22 PM
Update.

Dammit, I think I've run into a problem with HST, I don't know the seriousness of it however. First thing is, I've been using a 5lb increment for my chest and back excercises, 10 is supposedly ideal, so I'm worried that the 5lbs increment each session wasn't enough to stimulate growth for my chest and back.

Secondly, Eric brought up a real good point regarding zig zagging. Apparently Eric finised off with 185 for 15 reps for his squat, according to HST principles when he starts his first session of 10s, he will be doing something like 135 for 10, since his max for 10s is somewhere around 210lbs and we are using 15lb increments. Anyways, Eric's point was, how in the world will I be stimulating anything when I come off a 185 for 15, then go to 135 for 10??? So we are both at a total loss here. However, I suggested we progress in a linear fashion, therefore instead of (135, 150, 165, 180, 195, 210), something like (180, 180, 195, 195, 210, 210) So hopefully we'll follow this plan. Damn, HST is a lot more confusing than I thought it would be, a lot of variables to consider. Hopefully this post will help anyone else who is have difficulties setting up a good cycle.

Blood&Iron
05-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Damn, HST is a lot more confusing than I thought it would be, a lot of variables to consider.
Nah, not really. Really it is simple once you understand the basic. Like everything, people tend to make it way more complex than it needs to be.

Anyway, I replied to Mystic Eric's PM about this, so I'm hoping that will be of some help to both of you.

Manveet
05-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Yes, I just got the word. Thanks for the help.

Manveet
05-27-2003, 02:43 PM
Update:

I looked like poo yesterday, I was soo carb depeleted yesterday I looked like a flat mess.

Today,

I upped my chest and back increments to 10lbs today, after realizing that 5lbs each session wasn't stimulating much of anything. It pissed me off since I completed 3 weeks of HST before I realised this. Some things I noted today

EZ curls 85X10, 85X10 (the last few reps of the last set was pretty hard, I'm probably gonna repeat this weight, and eventually max out on 95)

Bench Press 195X10 195X10 (this was upped 10lbs from my last session, felt really good. Looking to max out on 205)

Rear delt raises - I took these out of my routine, my left shoulder doesn't like them for some reason.

On a couple of side notes, I think I've actually made some good strength gains or re-gains so far. Size is coming along, but never to fast enough.

Also, I have some slight very slight pain in my right knee, that was a lot worse in the morning. I have no clue what it could be from, but I'm guessing it was probably from ice skating yesterday since I haven't played in a long time.

Weighed in at 201lbs. I think I can see 210 around the corner....

McBain
05-28-2003, 02:22 AM
Weighed in at 201lbs. I think I can see 210 around the corner....

you better get there this time tuttut

:thumbup:

Manveet
05-29-2003, 02:31 PM
I'll get there for sure this time McBain:thumbup:

May 29/03

Second to last session on 10's, everything went well aside from a couple things I noted

EZ curls 85X10, 85X10 (this was waay to close to failure, I found myself resting a bit on the bottom of the reps in order to finish them all)

Calves - in general I'm not having a good go with this body part so far. I'm increasing the weight steadily, but I don't think I'm getting enough out of my two sets. I'll have re-organize for my 5's, maybe try more sets?

Other than that everything went fine today. My weight has been jumping up and down since I've started HST. I've been eating at least 3500 cals everyday, sometimes I go more but not past 4000. I guess the weight will come on slowly, which is a good thing, so i don't get too fat.

Manveet
06-03-2003, 01:41 PM
Update

Wow, the last session of 10's and my first of the 5's really kicked my butt. Some of the toughest sessions I've ever had. So far, everything is going pretty well, although I think I may have stalled in weight at about 200ish. I'm looking now to up my cals to 4000 on training days and 3800 on rest days, we'll see what happens after that.

Today was my first session of 5's, I incorporated some drop sets. Basically I did a drop set for my last set for each muscle group, it went pretty well I think. Other than that nothing too new. Later.

Manveet
06-05-2003, 04:47 PM
Update.

Bah, still no weight gain. It's been almost 3 weeks I believe. My weight keeps fluctuating around 200ish (high as 202, low as 199) I've been eating quite a damn bit as well. I wanted to incorporate some HIIT twice a week, but I'll just leave it a one until I finally see some damn weight gain. Also, I've decided to ditch the skull crushers I've been doing for tris, they haven't done much for me in long time, neither has close grip bench. I'm gonna switch over to some cable pressdowns and see how things go, cause right now my tris suck ass.

Blood&Iron
06-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Eat more.

Mystic Eric
06-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Update.

Bah, still no weight gain. It's been almost 3 weeks I believe. My weight keeps fluctuating around 200ish (high as 202, low as 199) I've been eating quite a damn bit as well. I wanted to incorporate some HIIT twice a week, but I'll just leave it a one until I finally see some damn weight gain. Also, I've decided to ditch the skull crushers I've been doing for tris, they haven't done much for me in long time, neither has close grip bench. I'm gonna switch over to some cable pressdowns and see how things go, cause right now my tris suck ass.

Well obviously you're not getting enough fats in your diet. There's like no fat content.

GhettoSmurf
06-06-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
Eat more.

those 2 words pretty much sum it up

heathj
06-06-2003, 04:37 AM
What's the diet like? I'm high and feel like analyzing things...

Coke
06-06-2003, 05:50 AM
The scale is a two-edge deal and can be misleading. In some ways it is best to stay away from the scale for a while. It just makes us more impatient ;)

Manveet
06-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Mystic Eric

Well obviously you're not getting enough fats in your diet. There's like no fat content.

What do you mean no fat content? Out of the 3800-4000 some odd cals I'm consuming I'm getting at least 100g of fat, maybe more. At most I need to add probably like 2 tbsp of flax or olive oil.

Heath, the only things I keep track of now are calorie levels and carbs. I eat the same things day in day out.

Yesterday's cals and carbs total.

4035, 332g carb. The rest of my cals make up fats and protein. The only thing I can see that I might not be getting quite enough of is fats. So far my fat sources have been whole eggs, natural pb, low fat milk, and the incidental fat I accumulate from other foods.

aka23
06-07-2003, 02:08 PM
If you are not gaining weight at the rate that you would like, I would suggest increasing calories in small increments instead of reducing cardio, and ignoring any type of formula. The standard body weight x ## formulas for weight gain that many people follow, do work well for a large portion of the population since they do not acount for things like activity and metabolism.

Out of the 3800-4000 some odd cals I'm consuming I'm getting at least 100g of fat, maybe more.
The only thing I can see that I might not be getting quite enough of is fats. So far my fat sources have been whole eggs, natural pb, low fat milk, and the incidental fat I accumulate from other foods.

100g of fat is about 900 calories. This means you are probably getting about 20-30% of calories from fat. I think this is plenty. It is in the range that most experts recommend. If you want to increase your fat intake, it might be helpful to focus on sources of Omega-3 fats, such as fish oils.

Good luck with your goals.

Mystic Eric
06-07-2003, 04:42 PM

What do you mean no fat content? Out of the 3800-4000 some odd cals I'm consuming I'm getting at least 100g of fat, maybe more. At most I need to add probably like 2 tbsp of flax or olive oil.

Heath, the only things I keep track of now are calorie levels and carbs. I eat the same things day in day out.

Yesterday's cals and carbs total.

4035, 332g carb. The rest of my cals make up fats and protein. The only thing I can see that I might not be getting quite enough of is fats. So far my fat sources have been whole eggs, natural pb, low fat milk, and the incidental fat I accumulate from other foods.

What I meant to say was that your fat sources are poo. Fat from peanut butter and milk aren't nearly as good as those from olive oil and fish oils.

Oh and you might wanna look at how many cals you're eating.

Me = 5'9", 173 and I'm eating 5300+ cals a day and gaining.

You= 5'11", 203 and eating 4000 cals and not gaining...

what does that say?

Manveet
06-07-2003, 06:59 PM
5300 cals eric? lol! How many of those are from fats? I can see you downing about 2tbsp of olive oil with every meal. My goal is to add weight gradually, not to become some fat mess. I think a little over 4000 every day for me should do the trick. If not, I'll gradually add more. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Manveet
06-07-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by CoCoa
The scale is a two-edge deal and can be misleading. In some ways it is best to stay away from the scale for a while. It just makes us more impatient ;)

Bah, I know what you mean. I just can't resist though.:(

Mystic Eric
06-07-2003, 07:03 PM
Ummm about 1400 cals from fats. Maybe a little more.

And I'm not a fat mess either. My body fat has stayed about the same since I started HST to be honest.

Manveet
06-07-2003, 07:08 PM
lol, sure it has:rolleyes:

:cool:

I don't know why I've been bitching about my weight, I started the program off somewhere in the neighbourhood of 193-195. What am I now, like 202 or something? Not terrible.

Btw, make sure you incoporate some drop sets during your 5's.

Manveet
06-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Update.

I'm beat, just finished my last session of 5's. I feel damn tired right now.

So far I've completed about 6 weeks of HST and I feel my gains have been pretty damn good. My arms and calfs have never been bigger than they are right now, everything has been growing at a good pace. I'm very pleased with my gains. I started the program off at ~195lbs and now I sit at ~204lbs, most of this has been regained weight, but my measurements have never been better.

But now I have a big decision to make. I have come up with a couple plans I can follow for the next couple weeks.

1) Stop the cycle now (after 6 weeks). My body feels damn tired, and I can start my SD early. The SD will probably last for about 8-10 days.

2) Carry on with the negatives, however use a very abeviated routine. Right now I'm doing about 20 total sets per session, maybe I can cut this down to about 10-15 for the 2 weeks of negatives?

So those are the options I have laid out for myself. Hopefully I can come up with a good plan by the end of the weekend.

Mystic Eric
06-15-2003, 12:04 AM
Update.

I'm beat, just finished my last session of 5's. I feel damn tired right now.

So far I've completed about 6 weeks of HST and I feel my gains have been pretty damn good. My arms and calfs have never been bigger than they are right now, everything has been growing at a good pace. I'm very pleased with my gains. I started the program off at ~195lbs and now I sit at ~204lbs, most of this has been regained weight, but my measurements have never been better.

But now I have a big decision to make. I have come up with a couple plans I can follow for the next couple weeks.

1) Stop the cycle now (after 6 weeks). My body feels damn tired, and I can start my SD early. The SD will probably last for about 8-10 days.

2) Carry on with the negatives, however use a very abeviated routine. Right now I'm doing about 20 total sets per session, maybe I can cut this down to about 10-15 for the 2 weeks of negatives?

So those are the options I have laid out for myself. Hopefully I can come up with a good plan by the end of the weekend.

You idiot. 8-10 days of SD? Apparently the longer the SD, the better. The SD isnt' something you wanna rush. I was reading on the site that most people found that taking a full 14 days off worked better than taking 9 or even 12 days. So take a full 2 weeks off, fun boy.

And I'm thinking about skipping the negs as well or maybe just doing a week of it. 1)The negs confuse the hell out of me. 2)I'm starting to feel injured. My right rotator cuff and my overall body is just starting to feel toast.

Manveet
06-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Ya same here man, my left shoulder isn't feeling as great. It doesn't hurt like hell or anything, but by no means is it 100%. The reason I said 8-10 days SD was because I was cutting the cycle short (omitting 2 weeks of negs). Therefore I thought I wouldn't really need an extra week of SD.

Come to think of it, I'm going to end it here. I'm gonna go right into my SD, I can sure as hell use it right now. If my body is not feeling up to par there is no need to do negs, it will probably end up being counter-productive.

Clark Kent
06-25-2003, 01:33 AM
mun ..... i must say ... you are looking extremely jacked ... very very impressive!!!!!!!!!!!