PDA

View Full Version : Whey Protein or Milk/Egg Powder?? Which one to buy???

pr3
06-16-2001, 10:24 PM
Ok, I am one of the many guys who purchases whey protein.

Now, a friend at the gym told me that he is taking a nutrition class in college, and he is completely surprised by all the information he is getting and by how lousy the information he got before the class.

He told me that all the powders like whey protein are big rip offs. The only thing the powder is IS egg/milk powder. They sell this MUCH MUCH cheaper at GNC or other fitness stores. The only difference between whey protein brands and regular egg/milk protein powders is that the big brands add a few vitamins AND of course PRICE!

Now, I am planning to easily go purchase this. Can anyone back this up? Or should I spend $50 on my whey protein from Optimum Nutrition?

Thanks.

Cackerot69
06-16-2001, 10:57 PM
Buy whey, but not Optimum's.

mds_79
06-17-2001, 05:57 AM
whats wrong with optimums?

Cackerot69
06-17-2001, 06:03 AM
I've heard of them having problems meeting label claims.....

It's either true, or one of them rumours someone makes up that everybody has in the back of their mind before buying a product...

Besides, for $20/5lb, how high quality do you expect the stuff to be?

Taras
06-17-2001, 07:46 PM
Probably the main difference between whey protein and other complete proteins such as milk and egg, is that whey protein is digested and absorbed more quickly, which might be an advantage for your post-workout meal, but wouldn't be for your last meal of the day. There are different methods of isolating and purifying whey, and this can affect the price. I doubt whether there are any practical advantages to the more expensive brands. DPS Nutrition (www.dpsnutrition.com) is currently selling 5 lbs of Optimum Nutrition for $26.49, 5 lbs of Prolab for $23.99, and 5 lbs of Ultimate Nutrition for $23.99 plus $4.90 shipping in the US.

hemants
06-18-2001, 12:53 PM
Protein BV is a measure of how MUCH protein is absorbed by your body.

Whey ~120-150
Egg 100
Milk ~90
Fish ~85
Meat/Soy ~70-80

Thus, when assessing cost, you can compare protein absorbed per dollar spent.

In general, egg/milk protein is cheaper than Whey but when you factor in absorption, the saving may not be that much if at all.

If total calories is important (like when you're cutting) I think Whey Protein Isolates are the best.

If you're bulking, then just eat a good variety of whatever you can get at the best price because extra calories aren't that critical.