PDA

View Full Version : Arjuns progress journal.

arjun
04-03-2003, 01:04 AM
Well isnt this just a nifty little tool. There is no need to record exact exercises done, or what i wore to the gym, right? Good. Im just going to use it to jot down progress in weight, strength, etc.

Im a martial artist, i stumbled to this site on accident, and found out it was a very nice accident. I have been training in weights for a few months now regularly. Every other day. But i have not taken it much farther than that. After reading one of Hulk's post (the story about him going off on 'bob' during the holidays) i started to get way more interested in body building.

I can now officially say im hooked.

I got an ectomorph body, and i like it. I dont want to build mass, i want well defined dense muscles. Yeah health and wellness are good things, but my goals are increased performance (in martial arts among other things) and looking great naked.

Im not going to start from the begining. Lets just say this: ive been working out properly for the past 10 sessions, every other day or sometimes with a 2 day break, depending on how my body feels. Very recently i started to incorporate nutrition and diet into my routine.

I picked up some myoplex shakes for right after the gym. I picked up some glutamine, i think i saw some people talking about how they were taking it differently for different effects than what the bottle reccomends, it would be great if i can get some help on here, if not ill start another thread about it in a few days. I also picked up some hydroxycut to help lower my body fat percentage and make my muscles show a bit more. Oh, and i got a great little mixer cup from GNC (woot).

Here is some info:

-17 years young
-Im like 5'8" and a half.
-142 pounds (yep, and about 4 of those pounds is new lean muscle)
-I dont have much of any idea on what i can bech or anything like that. Next time i hit the gym ill test it out.
-I was gunna put the styles of martial arts i do here, lol, but i remembered this is a body building forum.

Workouts are going well, even from the last 10 sessions ime noticing small improvements. I little but of muscle gain, no visual differences, but definite differences in strength, endurance, and my girlfriend says i feel much nicer. Ive been focusing on my upper body mostly, and mostly on just strength training, but today i added in two exercises for the lower body and did everything endurance style and to failure (im experimenting, i dont even have a clear idea on what the theoretical results from endurance sets to failure would be?). I guess thats all for today. Ill post again once i get situated with my suppliments and new diet.

Franco
04-04-2003, 02:37 AM
Good luck and welcome to the journal section

arjun
04-04-2003, 11:45 PM
I just got over a nasty cold, been feeling great for a few days, but today my whole body started aching. I just tried to take some tylenol, but the pill got stuck in my throat. Im not having a great day.

Ive decided not to go through bulking and cutting sessions, and just carefully keep the fat % low and keep gaining muscle mass. Im going to post workouts and my diet, ill do this hopefully at around 12 or 1 every night, that will help me from eating within a few hours before bedtime. Ill be working out every other day, unless my body tells me

Im not taking many suppliments, glutamine, low dosages of hydroxycut, and protien shakes & bars.

Todays diet was really bad, i had too many errans and didnt get to eat anything healthy, or nearly enough food at all.

1:00pm - Hydroxycut pill x1, centrum multi vit, glutamin, and 2 peices of Vienna bread.
4:00pm - Mcdonalds breakfast burrito & one little debbie cup cake
6:00pm - Hydroxycut pill x1
7:30pm - Half of a protien shake (post workout)
9:30pm - Glutamine pill x1
11:00pm - Tuna w/celery on cottage bread
12:30am - 1 orange and green tea
1:45am - PB and honey sandwich

Even tho i feel like crap, i still pushed myself to the gym to do a little lifting.

No cardio today, i didnt even stretch.

Bicep Curls - 2 sets of 10 - 50lbs
Tricep Extensions - 2 sets of 10 - 50lbs
Vertical bench - 1 set of 15 - 60lbs
Slanted Bench - 2 sets of 15 - 60lbs
Shoulder Press - 1 set of 15 - 40lbs
Slanted Sit-ups - 2 sets of 20
Forearm curls - 1 set of 35 - 15lbs

This is really pathetic, not even half of what i usually do. But i guess its okay, i feel like i got ran over, and of course this pill isnt helping cause its sitting in my throat. I couldnt even drink more than half of my post workout shake before i got nauseated.

BTW this is day 1 on my new goals (goals arent exact yet, i need to get bf % measured, and need to test my strength, speed, endurance, etc.)

arjun
04-06-2003, 03:18 AM
The diet was a bit shifty today. Ive been measuring myself at the gym and coming in at around 141 or 142. But today i measured myself on a friends household scale and i came in at like 136. I think the scale may be wrong, but if it isnt i dont see how thats possible, if i lost body fat i would notice it, my bf % was low to start with. Ill see tomorrow at the gym.

No suppliments today, i was out and about everywhere, and i forgot my backpack with all my stuff at home. I guess ill take a multi-vit now, i would take glut but i just ate.

3:00pm - 1 orange
4:00pm - 3 peices of supreme pizza (peppers, onions, pepperoni)
7:00pm - Subway turkey bacon 6" sandwich with lettuce, cheese, tomatos, onions, and mayo.
10:30pm - 1/2 of a grapefruit
3:00am - 2 little debbies cupcakes
4:00am - 1 slice sausage pizza and half of a cinnamon sweet roll
4:30am - green tea and an apple

Its hard for me to eat six balanced meals a day, i actually dont even try to do that specifically, i just try to have something here and there throughout the day. I usually try to make it healthier, but today was saturday and i was running all over the place doing various things.

Tomorrows goals: Make sure to bring my suppliments and such with me. Get back into the old routine of 15 to 20 reps on all machines at low weights, 3 sets on all machines, strength training, as opposed to the endurance training ive been doing lately. Also to hit the treadmill for 15 minutes of jogging. Forcing down a full protien shake (i dont know if i couldnt do it before cause i was sick, or just cause my stomach cant handle it. It was too thick with milk, ill try using water tomorrow. And try to get my diet a bit more balanced.

arjun
04-06-2003, 07:36 PM
Sunday, April 6th - 2003 - gym day

diet:

Today was my big bro's 21st birthday, so i ended up having too much food at one sitting. I think i will start taking 2 hydroxycut 3 times a day. I also want to do some better diet planning, but ill put that down in my goals.

2:30pm - hydroxycut x1, centrum multi vit x1, glutamine x1, one banana.
5:00pm - Power bar protien plus (post workout)
5:45pm - 1 banana, hydroxycut x1
7:00pm - 1 cheeseburger (lettuce, tomato, onions, mayo, cheese, ketchup, mustard), 6 onion rings, 1/2 cup potato salad.
9:00pm - hydroxycut x1, glutamine x1, green tea
2:00am - chicken breast sandwich on white bread (mayo, lettuce, tomato, onion) and 1/2 cup of potato salad.

workout:

Today was a great day in the gym, unfortunately my girlfriend came to pick me up to early and i had to hussle at the end. I didnt get to stretch enough after the workout, and some ass was doing like 12 sets on the slanted bench, so i couldnt get a 3rd set in. Im going to do some medicine ball crunches here at home to make up for it.

Treadmill: 13 minutes, around 1.1 miles

Slanted Sit-ups: 2 sets of 20 -
Bicep Curls: 3 sets of 12 - 40lbs
Lat pulldown: 3 sets of 15 - 50lbs
Slanted bench: 3 sets of 15 - 60lbs
Rowing machine: 2 sets of 15 - 60lbs
Leg press: 2 sets of 15 - 72lbs
Shoulder press: 3 sets of 15 - 40lbs
Vertical bench: 2 sets of 15 - 50lbs
Leg extensions: 2 sets of 15 - 50lbs
Tricep extensions: 3 sets of 15 - 40lbs
Forearm curls: 2 sets of 30 - 15lbs
Back press: 2 sets of 15 - 100lbs
Adductors: 1 set of 15 - 36lbs
Hanging leg-ups 2 sets of 20

body status:

Im a bit stuffed from the birthday dinner, im glad i decided to pass on the cake. My body feels good, but i went back on a heavy routine (atleast for me, and atleast compared to what ive been doing the last few sessions.) and i think im going to be pretty sore tomorrow.

I weighed in at 138 at the gym today, i dont see how i can drop around 3 or 4 pounds in a matter of days. Im hoping it is body fat, but i have no idea, i cant tell the difference in muscle or fat.

goals:

My main goal is to straighten up my diet. I need to have more well rounded meals.

First off im going to try hard to count the carbs and calories in all my meals. I also want to start getting to sleep earlier. I have been nocturnal for a few years now, so my last meal is usually around 4 am and my first meal of the day at 2 or 3 pm.

Im moving up from one hydroxycut pill 3 times daily to 2 3 times daily. I was thinking about going up to full dosage, but im a small guy and there is no harm checking out what 2 caps 3 times daily will do.

arjun
04-07-2003, 11:07 PM
Monday, April 7th - 2003 - rest day:

diet:

Today was better. Its easier to eat better, or atleast at more appropriate times, when i keep track of it in a book with all the calories and protien and carbs.

Diet will improve greatly next time i go shopping. Went in my buddies hut tub today, and his mom asked if i have been working out (his mom is a total milf). Yay!

3:00pm - Centrum multi-vit x1, glutamine x 0.6 grams, hydroxycut x2, 2 pieces of toast on white with butter and 1 orange
5:30pm - Protien Shake mix (includes 1/3 cup strong coffee, protien shake mix (myoplex), 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tblspn sugar)
7:00pm - Glutamine x 0.6g
8:20pm - Chilidog (cheese and onions), 1 cup milk (1%)
10:45pm - Hydroxycut x2, Glutamin x 0.6, 1 banana
11:30am - 1 corn dog
1:45am - 2 chili dogs (cheese and onions), and 2 cups of milk

1640 calories
149g of carbs
101g of protien

workout:

Today is a rest day, but i also do some light martial arts on these days i dont hit the gym. I wont get into that here tho.

body status:
Im actually not as sore as i thought i would be. I got enough sleep last night, but i havent been sleeping good. Its not natural to sleep in the day, specially when there are people up and about in my house. I tried to hit the sack at 3 am, but couldnt get to sleep until 6 am.

I never do pullups, i used to only be able to do a few a few years back. But at my buddies house i did like 5. Not much, i know, but my biceps are kinds sore, and so are my tri's, so i could have done more. Im going to see how many i can do tomorrow at the gym before i do anything else.

goals:
I want to hit the abs hard tomorrow, and the chest also. Im adding some new machines in the routine; first off im doing machine flys, and then im going to add in a calf exercise. I have only been getting at my thighs for lower body, but ill start doing a complete body routine tomorrow.

Ive upped the dosage of hydroxycut, but i forgot to take it during the middle of the day. Tomorrow ill take 2 pills 3 times. I also might throw in any glut pill. The new shake mix i made tastes great, and the caffiene gives me a little extra boost. Its also real easy to get down... i am going to chill one and come home to drink it form the gym tomorrow.

Saint Patrick
04-08-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by arjun
Monday, April 7th - 2003 - rest day:
1140 calories
121g of carbs
66g of protien

Jesus H man, I think I've pooped out more than that in one sitting :D

You can't expect to gain any decent amount of muscle with that much protein. I know you say that you don't want to bulk up, but if you're lifting weights at all, you should be getting at least 120-140g protein at your weight. 1100 cals is extremely low, it will only slow down your metabolism. You should be getting 1800 MINIMUM even if you're not trying to gain weight. About pull-ups, I used to be in your situation. The only way to get better is to keep doing them. Good luck w/ your goals

oh, and good luck w/ the milf too :hump:

arjun
04-08-2003, 01:49 PM
haha, yeah i usually dont put in everything i eat until the next day, cause i eat after i get off my computer.

But even with that added meal everything is still low. Most of it is because i dont get up until real late, and even when i do i dont like any solid food, i only want a peice of fruit or something.

Im going to try to eat more often. Actually get in 6 meals and some fruit snacks on the side. I pretty much eat like this every day, but yesterday was probably a bad day to start counting. I think today will be better (hopefully).

Im trying to find foods high in protien, gunna go shopping tomorrow i think. Thanks for the support!

arjun
04-09-2003, 11:22 PM
The last few days have been hectic. I went to court and got ordered to have no contact with my best friend as part of the deal i made with the district attourney.

I didnt record my diet for the last few days. Why? Because it was horrible. Yesterday i probably got a total of 800 or 900 calories, and today my meals were few and far apart, but not that bad. I went shopping, hit up GNC for some designer whey protein bars and almost bought some cell-tech. I decided to look into creatine more so before i do anything like that tho.

Im off hydroxycut, going to go through bulking and cutting cylces. Yay!

I went to the gym today, but i only had a few minutes. I didnt get to record my exercises, but ill break it down.

I did 5 minutes of light jogging (6 mph) easy stuff, just to get the blood pumpin. Then i ran through all my normal upper body machines, except i traded the slanted bench for the machine flys, and i liked it. I think i will keep switching off, some days doing vert bench and flys, then other days doing slanted bench and flys. I only got to do one set of everything, except i pushed myself to hit two sets on slanted sit-ups and hanging leg ups. I also threw in 2 sets of bicep curls and the vertical bench.

So yeah, nothing great, not even worth recording, good thing i didnt even get teh chance to. I really wanted to do some experimenting, i guess i cant do all that many experiments in one day, but i can take it slowly.

arjun
04-11-2003, 03:03 AM
Thursday, April 10th - 2003 - rest day

diet:

Today was a good day. The diet is definately getting better. Its just hard sometimes to find the time to each so often, and to eat healthy at that.

I havent been counting cals, proteins, or carbs either. Its even harder to spend the time to find and record all the information. And i figure if i just be careful, and keep a good diet schedule, i dont need to find out exactly what im taking in either. Im used to less food, so ive only been eatting 1/2 of a protien bar at each sitting, but eating a full bar total per day. .

1:30pm - 1 steak quesidilla from Taco Bell
3:00pm - 15 oz of whole milk, centrum multi-vit, 0.6 grams of glutamine
4:30pm - 1 mcdonalds breakfast burrito
5:30pm - 2 nutri grain bars
7:00pm - Propell Fitness water, 1/2 Designer Whey protein bar
8:00pm - half of a 6" subway ham sandwich (white bread, cheese, mayo, lettuce, tomatos), 1 oatmeal raisen cookie
9:30pm - 1/2 of a Nitro-Tech bar, 15 oz of whole milk, 0.6 grams glutamine
11:30pm - A few bites of lasagna, 2 peices of white toas & butter, 15oz whole milk
3:00am - 1 orange

workout:

None, today was a rest day.

body status:
I feel good, i cant wait to hit the gym tomorrow. My sleeping habit is bad, its almost four, so im obviously not making any progress on it. My body feels good, it needs more work, i can hear it ask for exercise, but i dont want to do anything that is going to make me come up short in the gym tomorrow.

goals:
I want to hit the gym real hard tomorrow. I know i said this before, but some unexpected stuff came up, got put on probation for disorderly conduct. Its nothing big, just means i cant get into trouble, but thats fine cause i dont usually anyway. I just feel like crap, because it reminds me and kinda puts me in the mindset i had back in the day when i was getting into all sorts of trouble. Im not like that any more, and i didnt do anything to deserve probation for two years. But whatever, i learned from my mistakes, as i always do.

I got a routine all planned out in my book i was going to use the other day, but even tho i did some light stuff at the gym that day, i forgot my book and didnt even record anything. It wasnt much anyway, not worth recording.

I might incorporate some exercises at home on my rest days, because my body can use more exercise, seriously. Here is what i was thinking:

Add some jump rope
Add some squat thrusts
Maybe add some knuckle and wrist push ups
Maybe add some isometrics
Add more martial arts exercises (heavy bag work, shadowboxing, etc)
Add the yoga and tai chi i have been slacking off on.

I think i also might record my martial arts training in here to, since i dont have a book to do it in. Also, if anyone reads this (yeah right, cmon already), let me know what you think about doing those kinds of exercises on the days i dont go to the gym (every other day) or so.

arjun
04-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Friday, April 10th - 2003 - gym day

diet:

I left my diet diary in my friends car, i didnt get to record yesterday or today, but i will get it back to put it up on here for friday.

workout:

I actually wanted to shoot for three sets on everything, but i didnt have enough time. This workout was pretty nice, nonetheless. Im going today, but again i dont know if i will have enough time to do 3 sets, i might just work a few certain muscles, in fact yeah, thats what ill do. But anyway, here is fridays:

Slanted Sit ups - 20 reps - 2 sets
Vert bench - 15 reps - 2 sets - 60lbs
Bicep Curls - 15 reps - 2 sets - 40lbs
Shoulder Press - 15 reps - 2 sets - 40lbs
Leg Press - 10 reps - 2 sets - 80lbs
Machine Flys - 15 reps - 2 sets - 60lbs
Lat pulldown - 15 reps - 2 sets - 50lbs
Rowing Machine - 15 reps - 2 sets - 72lbs
Slanted Bench - 15 reps - 2 sets - 50lbs
Hanging Leg ups - 20 reps - 2 sets -
Leg Extensions - 15 reps - 1 set - 50lbs
Tricep extensions - 15 reps - 2 sets - 40lbs
Forearm curls - 30 reps - 2 sets - 20lbs
Adductors - 15 reps - 1 set - 30 lbs
Back press - 15 reps - 2 sets - 100lbs

No cardio... but yesterday i walked like 6 miles.

body status:
Well, its sunday and i worked out friday last, so i feel good. I did walk 6 miles yesterday, my feet are kinda sore. Otherwise i feel fine.

goals:
Well, im about to leave for the gym like in 20 minutes. When i get there im gunna get on the bike for like 15 minutes it hink. I dont really want to do the treadmill... but we will see. I do want to do some cardio, even if its not much.

I also want to train a few of my muscles hard today. Ill put up the routines when i get back later tonight.

arjun
04-13-2003, 06:35 PM
sunday, April 13th - 2003 - gym day

diet:

Again, dont got by diet book, havent been recording. To summarize so far: i havent eaten much today, or yesterday, and i only could drink half of my post workout shake.

workout:

Stationary bike: 1.6 miles, around 12 minutes - easy as pie

Slanted bench - 15 reps - 3 sets - 50lbs
Slanted sit-ups - 20 reps - 3 sets -
Bicep Curls - 10 reps - 3 sets - 40lbs

also did some super sets:

Machine flys - 10 reps - 2 sets - 60lbs
Hanging leg raises - 10 reps - 2 sets
Forearm curls - 10 reps - 2 sets - 20lbs
Vert bench - 10 reps - 2 sets - 60lbs
Leg press - 8 reps - 2 sets - 80lbs
Shoulder press - 10 reps - 2 sets - 40lbs
Lat pulldown - 10 reps - 3 sets - 60lbs
Rowing machine - 10 reps - 1 set - 72lbs

body status:
Feel great, wish i could do that every day.

goals:
Want to experiment more with my workouts. Will do some studying and decide tomorrow.

PaulB
04-14-2003, 01:39 AM
hey whats going on man?
havnt had time tonight to read all of your journal just a few entries, but whats going on with all the machines?
also id ease off the supps, sometimes pushing yourself not using anything but you and some food can be a great motivational tool, looking in the mirror and being able to say "my dedication did this" not some drug, supp or anything like that. just a route i was thinking of, since your into the martial arts. mebbe its just me though, martial arts = body/mind, lifting= body

arjun
04-14-2003, 02:47 AM
Yeah im gunna ween myself off the machines. They are just quicker and easier, and i already gotta rush when im at the gym anyway.

Only type of pills im taking is a multi vit and glutamine. The only other non food thing are protien bars and protien shakes i usually only take after workouts.

I was actually going to change up some machines for free weights next time i hit the gym. Starting with bicep curls, flys, and i wish i could hit the bench presses with free weights, but i go alone, no one to spot.

Whats so bad about using machines rather than dumbells and barbells anyhow?

PaulB
04-15-2003, 11:28 AM
nothing i guess
i just always thought they worked your stabilizers more
specially with DB's. i turned into a db whore recently, trying to get my popeye arms and all. dont know if theres any truth to it or not but it seems to be working.