PDA

View Full Version : When does the body need protein most?

manowar669
06-10-2003, 12:44 PM
Do you use more protein for growth immediately after working out, and then a gradual tapering off, or is it a steady metabolic rate. For example, after a morning workout, is more protein used for growth that day than the resting day after? I read somewhere (years ago) that the first three hours after the workout use the most protein. Any truth to this?

Relentless
06-10-2003, 12:47 PM
I have read that the first HOUR after you lift is the best time to slam down some quality protein (i.e. whey/casein/etc.) and then another 2-3 hours after that, you oughta get some protein + carbs into you

don't know about morning workouts though...

manowar669
06-10-2003, 01:23 PM
Hey Callahan,
Your second quote there, about women, I say that all the time, almost word for word. Odd.

GhettoSmurf
06-10-2003, 07:56 PM
i think protein is used more readily after a workout, but i usually just keep a steady stream of protein throughout the whole day

Scott S
06-11-2003, 07:51 PM
It's definitely important in the morning as well, as your stores of amino acids and glycogen are lower.

AlexBBbegginer
06-12-2003, 02:37 AM
i have learnt the 2 times u need quick protein and a simple carb together are

First thing when you wake up (take a multi vit as well)

Straight after your w/o (you dont need a vit here tho ..i dont think?)

dont eat any fats with it becasue it slows absorption
These are the 2 times during the day when you are at your most catabolic, so u need to immediately flood your system with aminos and vitamins. Up to 1 hr after you can eat a proper meal with fats and complex carbs.

When you eat your protein be sure to use a simple carb, since it raises insulin allowing for quicker and more efficient absorption, as well as stopping the protein from being converted into glucose.

Saint Patrick
06-12-2003, 03:58 PM
I think it's most important immediately after a workout, and a steady protein intake the following 24 hours.