PDA

View Full Version : the role of GPP in westside?

Wu36
06-25-2003, 03:17 PM
Could someone help explain this to me?
I've read the articles on elitefts but i'm still not sure how to structure sessions.

Saturday Fever
06-25-2003, 04:10 PM
GPP increases your work capacity. To word it another way, a guy in good shape will be able to do more than a guy in bad shape. GPP is just a way to get you better conditioned so you can do more work. I would do upper body GPP 24 hours after your ME day and 48 before your DE day, and the same for your lower body GPP. It will force you to not go to the gym as often, but nobody said that was a bad thing. :)

Wu36
06-25-2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks SF.
should i do them non weighted and then weighted once i become more advanced?

and one more thing, what kind of exercises would be ideal?

Saturday Fever
06-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Sled-dragging is a great start. I'd start unweighted and start judging how you feel the next day or two. If you finish 45 minutes dragging a sled and you're not near-death anymore, it may be time to add some weight. You'll be happy with what it adds to your workouts.

Wu36
06-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Got it, thanks again.

Behemoth
06-25-2003, 08:33 PM
What's GPP?

PowerManDL
06-25-2003, 09:12 PM
General Physical Preparedness.

In its original meaning, GPP refers to fundamental, non-specific means of training designed to increase the overall "athleticism" of the lifter. That is, it's conditioning that has no direct carry over to the sport in question, but rather serves as a foundation for later work.

As its understood in the context of Westside, its extra added work done to raise the working capacity of the lifter. A form of cardio, if you will, but with different goals in mind than strict distance running.

benchmonster
06-26-2003, 03:08 PM
Hard Cardio is another way of thinking of GPP. It is the ability to do a lot of work. Being in shape.

If you can drag a weighted sled a long time, or push a truck, or a weighted wheel barrow, or can wrestle or do some other hard activities such as these, you have good GPP, or you are in good shape.

If you increase your ability to do hard work, and do more and heavier training, you will get stronger than you would get just by doing traditional weight lifting, while ignoring your cardio vascular and load bearing conditioning.

I have really stepped it up on my GPP training, and as a result I now have a resting heart rate of 64, down from over a hundred at one point, and my blood pressure is 118/80, down from almost 200 over 120 6 months ago. I was heading for a stroke back then, and feel better than ever now. And I weigh about the same as I did 6 months ago.

B.

big calvin
06-26-2003, 05:39 PM
ive only done this 2 times and the 2 times it was the hardest thing i ever done but i havent done it in a while and need 2 start it again.. wha i would do is like well the way i thought about it was a triset kinda... first push my lincoln a car parking lot length(about 25 cars wide) as fast as i can then on the other side i have a wheel barrle waiting with 2 45 lb plates and as soon as i get over there i push the wheel barrle to the other side and then i run back to the car as fast as i can.....now...my only prob was i did it once and that was it lol i couldnt no more lol :p...so i have a couple questions for u guys...

since i do this type of GPP workout....first how many times a week should i do it...and second should i not do ALL of that? just car pushes back and forth with rest inbetween the "sets" and then next time do wheel barrle runs same way... ???

benchmonster
06-27-2003, 09:30 AM
Well, do it, but change it up all the time. Dont' just push the car then the wheelbarrow every time. But do GPP stuff depending upon how hard you do it, 3 or 4 times a week. Some types of low stress active recovery/GPP stuff can be done many times per week, such as miniband work for rotator cuff, and stuff like that.

Try pushing the car one time, then next time, turn around and walk backward with the car, change stuff up like that.

Don't ever let it get to feeling comfortable. That seems to be the key. When we are talking about how many reps/sets, etc. . . the answer is always the same. . . What amount would you least like to do? And that is usually what we end up doing. If it makes you uncomfortable, it is probably working.

Don't ever expect to get in good enough shape that this stuff won't hurt any more. That ain't gonna happen.

B.

fuzz
06-27-2003, 09:41 AM
Anyone ever do tire flipping? I have a big ole tractor tire in my backyard that I'm thinking of going off on.

Xg74
06-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Good GPP, can be tough though. If I had a big tire, I'd do it as well, but alas, my mother says no. ;)

benchmonster
06-27-2003, 12:50 PM
Tire flipping is good. Just be sure if it is a really big one (600 lbs or more) that you have someone there with you to help if you drop it on yourself, or tear a bicep off. Both of which happen with some frequency in tire flipping.

I would hate to be laying underneath a 6 or 7 hundred lb tire with one or both biceps torn loose, with only my head exposed to the beating sun, and the ants eating at my eyes, and ears, and the vultures pecking my eyes out, and the heat, My God the heat. OK, that may be a bit dramatic, but don't flip tires out in a field by yourself. You could get hurt and if you do, you will need some help.

B.

john26
06-27-2003, 02:35 PM
i play football, and we do stuff like sled dragging, hitting a tire with a sledgehammer (dont know exactly what this helps, i guess forearms, but its hard as hell. most people don't last long)

and occasionaly we'll do stuff like: throw a tire, sprint to the tire, pick it up, throw it again. this is one of the hardest forms of gpp ive had to do, it's very exausting because it's constantly taxing you. your arms, your cardiovascular system, your legs, etc. it's fun though

it also works with medicine balls, kettlebells i'd think too but only on grass.

benchmonster
06-27-2003, 03:41 PM
John26, those are exactly the sorts of things that we all need to be doing. My partner and I were out in the parking lot of our gym last week playing catch with rubber medicine balls by bounce passing them to each other, then after that we threw them for height, let them bounce once, catch them then throw for height again.

The crazier the better, and the more taxing on your body the better.

B.

Bruise Brubaker
06-28-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by benchmonster
Tire flipping is good. Just be sure if it is a really big one (600 lbs or more) that you have someone there with you to help if you drop it on yourself, or tear a bicep off. Both of which happen with some frequency in tire flipping.

My gym has one of those big tires outside, I'll ask how much it weights.

I had though about doing some work with it, for GPP and because it looks fun. But now I'm really afraid of tearing a bicep off... I've never suffered an injury and I don't want to. So flipping big tires is a dangerous exercice that I shouldn't do?

benchmonster
06-30-2003, 07:48 AM
No, it is not something you should never do. Just be sure you have someone there with you. I very seriously doubt that most of the exercises we do are totally safe. As Louie Simmons says. . .

"Those exercises that are totally safe are totally worthless."

And you are more likely to tear a biceps deadlifting than you are in tire flipping. I just would urge you, when training with heavy non-conventional equipment not to do it by yourself, at least at first.

B.