PDA

View Full Version : Lemonade Diet?

H3V
07-01-2003, 09:19 PM
Has anyone tried the "lemonade diet"? I heard them discussing it on Howard Stern recently. They said Robin lost 60lbs on it!

Behemoth
07-01-2003, 10:39 PM
Why don't you tell us what it is so we can evaluate it.

Ironman8
07-01-2003, 10:48 PM
Lemonade diet?! By the sounds of it, be prepared to lose muscle.

GonePostal
07-01-2003, 10:55 PM
Howerd stern is certainly a good source of information.

Ritzol
07-01-2003, 11:26 PM
Alright, you take any food you want, and you can lose weight on it.

Ice cream, ok the ice cream diet..... I'm sure if that's all you ate, and you severely restricted the amount you would lose weight on it.

Saint Patrick
07-01-2003, 11:41 PM
mmmmm....lemonade

Berserker
07-02-2003, 05:27 AM
doesn't sound good. But I am willing to hear the details and then belittle it.

H3V
07-02-2003, 07:39 AM
I guess I should have realized that putting Stern's name in the post might kill credibility. :) I was just hoping someone else had heard about it an knew what I was referring to.

I'm just curious because I have lost 25lbs over the last few months. I seem to have hit a plateau and am having a tough time with the last 10lbs.

I guess its a "cleansing diet". I'm not claiming its good or that it works, I was just hoping someone here had an educated opinion on it.

It's based on "The Master Cleanser" by Stanley Burroughs

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0963926209/qid=1057152184/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-5960740-1687067

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 07:45 AM
OMG, it's just a f*cking detox. 10 days of fasting to clean out your internals. You could just go to the doctors and ask for a coffee enima and achieve the same BS. This is not a diet. Diets generally include *eating* something.

Let's see, lemonade, all it is is basically sugar, the only thing that really should be avoided as much as possible on any sensible diet. Let's also see what you need to stay healthy, and maintain the good lean mass you already have. Those are healthy fats, and protein. Let me see....nope, neither of those are found in lemonade. I hope that answers your question. :)

I'd look for robin to gain it all right back again, she's just flushing out the last 8 boxes of chocolate still digesting in her intestine, once she has another 8 she'll be right back where she started.

bradley
07-02-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by H3V
I'm just curious because I have lost 25lbs over the last few months. I seem to have hit a plateau and am having a tough time with the last 10lbs.

What does your diet look like right now? I am sure that with a few adjustments you can get past the plateau, especially since you have already lost 25lbs.

Tryska
07-02-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by ElPietro

Let's see, lemonade, all it is is basically sugar, the only thing that really should be avoided as much as possible on any sensible diet. Let's also see what you need to stay healthy, and maintain the good lean mass you already have. Those are healthy fats, and protein. Let me see....nope, neither of those are found in lemonade. I hope that answers your question. :)

word.

way to do some critical thinking.

H3V
07-02-2003, 08:37 AM
I lost it by eating little to no carbs. My diet consisted of pretty much just steak, grilled chicken, and cold cuts (turkey and roast beef). I dropped from 215 to 190.

I started a strict weightlifting plan around the same time and have been very happy with those gains, but all the muscle is hidden under that layer of fat! :(

But, I hit the wall at 190. I haven't been as strict about carbs the last few weeks, but still pretty low. I still try to keep the carbs between 50-100 a day. I have cut all soda and juice out of my diet, and pretty much sip from a watter bottle all day. My caloric intake is way down (i'd estimate less than 2000 calories a day) from what it use to be, and I started doing cardio again.

I have replaced most of the snacks that I used to eat with Detour Bars. I recently heard that the nutritional info could be false on those, which could explain the plateau! :)

I feel like the weight should be dropping off of me, but it just isn't. Any suggestions?

ElPietro
07-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Just keep at it. Make sure you aren't underestimating your calories. If everything is accurate you SHOULD be losing weight still, but if not you can always try shaving a few hundred calories off of your daily total, and hopefully things will continue.

Tryska
07-02-2003, 08:49 AM
trying upping your calories some. like maybe 23-2500.

T-Bone976
07-02-2003, 09:47 AM
The lemonade diet is BS.

The 'Fiber Glass Diet' is where it's at!

Is this lemonade diet similar to the 'Hollywood Diet" (where you drink juice)?

I've listened to Stern many times; he knows nothing about nutrition.

QuantumReality
07-02-2003, 10:31 AM
What she was on was a drink made with the following:

* 2 Tablespoons lemon or lime juice (about lemon)
* 2 Tablespoons genuine pure maple syrup
* 1/10 Teaspoon cayenne pepper (red pepper) or to taste [Minimum 100,000 H.U.]
* Purified Water, medium hot

Drank throughout the day. It's really just a fast. It is supposed to cure obesity and all disease known to man, including AIDS!!.

I was also wondering if there is any scientific merit to the ingredients used?

drew
07-02-2003, 11:22 AM
:rolleyes:

bradley
07-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by H3V
But, I hit the wall at 190. I haven't been as strict about carbs the last few weeks, but still pretty low. I still try to keep the carbs between 50-100 a day. I have cut all soda and juice out of my diet, and pretty much sip from a watter bottle all day. My caloric intake is way down (i'd estimate less than 2000 calories a day) from what it use to be, and I started doing cardio again.

I have replaced most of the snacks that I used to eat with Detour Bars. I recently heard that the nutritional info could be false on those, which could explain the plateau! :)

I feel like the weight should be dropping off of me, but it just isn't. Any suggestions?

Well I agree with Tryska in that cutting cals and adding in cardio could have created too great of a calorie deficit, so try upping cals a little.

What about fat intake? Are you getting enough EFAs in your diet? I would recommend getting ~25% of your daily cals from fat and most of this amount should come from healthy sources such as fish oil, olive oil, flax oil, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc.

What do you estimate your bf% to be? As you get leaner it becomes harder to lose bf, which would suggest that you might need to incorporate refeeds or maybe one day a week eating slightly over maintenance cals.

bradley
07-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by QuantumReality
I was also wondering if there is any scientific merit to the ingredients used?

Nothing that I know of:)

carolinagirl
07-02-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by H3V
I have replaced most of the snacks that I used to eat with Detour Bars. I recently heard that the nutritional info could be false on those, which could explain the plateau!

*sigh*

No. They tested out VERY close to the manufacturer's claims.

But they're not such an ideal food that you would want to eat, like, three a day or anything. Whole foods, baby, whole foods! ;)

What everybody else said.....you may need more EFA's, your metabolism has probably slowed from months of dieting, and/or you may be at too low of a calorie level.