PDA

View Full Version : Clarify my HIIT

kazzy
07-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Today I tried doing some HIIT, I don't even know if I did it right...

I did 60 seconds jogging at 5mph, and 20 sec of running at 8mph about 10 times. All in all it came out to be 15 mins. Did I do it right? If so, how much straight cardio is it equivalent to? If I do it for longer than 15 mins, will it still have the same fat burning power?

- Kaz

SoulOfKoRea
07-12-2003, 09:55 AM
sounds like you didn't do it all out, did you happen to do it on a treadmill too? kinda what it sounds like since you know the mph.

15 mins is plentiful, you should be on the ground after it all, it's better to use shorter intervals.

remember to go ALL OUT, "balls to the wall"

technogeeky
07-12-2003, 10:14 AM
HIIT is gonna suck for me since I'm so out of shape. My balls will insta-walled.

kazzy
07-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by SoulOfKoRea
sounds like you didn't do it all out, did you happen to do it on a treadmill too? kinda what it sounds like since you know the mph.

15 mins is plentiful, you should be on the ground after it all, it's better to use shorter intervals.

remember to go ALL OUT, "balls to the wall"

Ya, I did do it on a treadmill? Should I have not of? I'm planning to do a full 40 mins tomorrow. Maybe 45s rest at 5mph and 20s full blown at 10mph?

Someone fuggin' help me out here ;/

- Kaz

Tbizz
07-12-2003, 01:18 PM
People probably arent answering as expected cuz ya havent read up on all the info (and there is a lot) on these forums before posting such. I barely post here cuz I can always find what Im lookin for but I'll help you out the best I can.

I've been doing HIIT 2-3 days a week for about 6 weeks. As read in other posts people say it is difficult to perform HIIT on a treadmill because of the delays in speeds and the fact that you cant really put your all into running on a tradmill (I'd lose balance and hit the wall behind me) but of course everyones opinion varies and some say you can do it on a treadmill, whatever. I do my HIIT running through the woods or when Im at school and dont wanna look stupid I'll do HIIT in the stairwell going up during the intense part and jogging down on the slower part, both work well.

You plan on doing 40 minutes of HIIT? WOW
If you had to do HIIT for 40 minutes it wouldnt be as great as it is. And you certainly shouldnt be able to last that long. You must remember that when you sprint you need to put all your effort into it, I groan, someone sig on this site is "half ass effort=half ass results" and this is what I remind myself when I catch myself not puttin in all effort.

I've gotten myself up to 13 minutes of straight HIIT before I feel that my all out intense bursts, dont really burst....hehe I've also been doing the 15 second sprint and the 45 second walk routine and it works well for me, others have different times and shorten the intervals because it may work better but I find it easier 15/45 with a stopwatch.

If anything I said isnt clear I can clarify but if you look throught other posts on HIIT you should find your answers. Good luck

kazzy
07-12-2003, 01:47 PM
Very helpful. Thanks.

- Kaz

Scott S
07-12-2003, 05:47 PM
You *should* be DEAD within 5-10 min your first time trying HIIT!

Make the sprint part 10 sec to start with, give yourself 30 or more for rest periods, and run as fast as possible during the sprints. Don't do it on the treadmill either.

feroshuslystone
07-14-2003, 04:58 PM
how about 30 second intervals? that's what i've been doing for about 3 weeks. i've heard about 6/s and 9/s things, but those are crazy on a treadmill. :eek:

pusher
07-14-2003, 05:10 PM
Fero:

As long as you go all out and feel like collapsing from lactic acid build-up, you don't have to get too specific with the duration of intervals. Mind you HIIT is VERY hard to do safely on a treadmill.

Tbizz
07-15-2003, 01:54 PM
People seem to be reading over everyone saying dont do it on a treadmill. I dont see it working right because once your done with your slow pace then you have to crank up the treadmill up to running speed which takes a good amount of time; which also reduces your total time of intense running.

Get outside, enjoy some sun and run