PDA

View Full Version : Are you getting positive results from HIIT cardio?

mantis
07-15-2003, 02:13 AM
Greetings everyone!

The reason I'm asking this question...is that I'm not getting any positive result from my HIIT sessions. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, so any comment or feedback are greatly appericated.

After reading 100s of message on HIIT on this board, I decided to give it a try after my bulking cycle to reduce some body fat. I normally lift 2 days and rest 1 day, then repeat. Therefore, I've been doing HIIT cardio on my off days for the past 8 weeks.

I've been doing my HIIT sessions at the park. After warm up... I would run as fast as I could for 15 sec... then jog/fast walk for about 45-60 secs. Then repeat. I could only do 4 intervals on my first session. I was dead tired afterwards.

Now, 8 weeks later, I can do about 9 intervals. So, I am getting stronger in terms of doing HIIT cardio. However.... as far as I can tell... I haven't lost much body fat. My waist actually grew 1 inch in the past 8 weeks.

For the past 8 weeks, I didn't make any changes to my weight lifting routine. I have gotten stronger and my chest, arm, back and leg all have gotten bigger. It's almost if I'm still bulking!!!

I don't mind getting bigger, but I don't want my waist to grow with the rest of my body.

So, there are only 3 things that I can think....

1. HIIT does not work on me...
2. I'm doing something wrong with my HIIT workout
3. My diet.

My diet has been fairly clean. I consume about 200 cal.. less than my intake during the bulking cycle because I don't want to drop too much weight at once.

I was hoping by doing HIIT cardio would help me drop body fat and maintain lean muscle mass. However, it seems that I've been gaining muscle mass and fat even while doing HIIT cardio.

Ladies and gentlemen, any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Mantis

Ironman8
07-15-2003, 10:02 AM
Well, what are you total calories equaling?

PowerManDL
07-15-2003, 10:16 AM
That's sounding like diet to me.

Blood&Iron
07-15-2003, 10:26 AM
You probably need to drop calories further.

On a side note, though, I don't much care for HIIT. It works very well in my experience for increasing aerobic capacity and lactate threshold, but even with EPOC being greater than normal cardio, I don't end up burning near as many calories as doing moderate level stuff for longer periods (incline treadmill or ski-machine for 30-45 minutes)

Typically, when I do the other stuff I keep my heart rate at about 170bpm the entire time. Using HIIT I've gotten my heart-rate up to 220bpm (not smart)--when combined with stimulants.

To be fair, I've always stuck to fairly short, very intense intervals (All out sprints for 15s, followed by 45s of active-recovery) Usually 8-9 intervals. 2min on/2min off with less intense sprint-phase, and done for 30min, might work as well, if not better, than the steady-state stuff. I just haven't tried it yet.

PowerManDL
07-15-2003, 10:30 AM
BI, as much of an Avant groupie as you are I'd figure you'd be all up on the carbs-during-exercise-means-fat-after-exercise mentality.

Has that ACE certification been giving you a swole head? ;)

Manveet
07-15-2003, 10:32 AM
Diet is gonna be the problem.

Blood&Iron
07-15-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL
BI, as much of an Avant groupie as you are I'd figure you'd be all up on the carbs-during-exercise-means-fat-after-exercise mentality.

Has that ACE certification been giving you a swole head? ;)
Huh? You lost me. Carbs during exercise? Did I miss something?

Besides, I'm not really an Avant groupie. I think Par puts out some good products with minimal amount of hyping bullsh*t (Though, there's still a bit more than I'd like), but I think a lot of what is discussed on those boards is so trivial as to be irrelevant in the real world. And while I've been guilty, and continue on occasion to be guilty, of producing study and afte study, scientific-know-it-all-ism and verbal masturbation, lately that kinda sh*t has really been annoying me. Actually, I haven't been frequenting the Avant board lately for that reason.

Blood&Iron
07-15-2003, 11:01 AM
My ACE-certification does make me a god among you lesser mortals, though.

mantis
07-15-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

My cal. count is at about 3200. I will cut it down to maybe 2900-3000 in the next few weeks to see if it makes any difference.