PDA

View Full Version : Calcium - Where else can I get it?

SadCubicleHead
08-31-2001, 07:28 AM
Iím lactose intolerant. So I donít drink milk that much.
I often avoid cheese because of its high fat content.

Other than the above how else can I get some calcium in my body?

Thanks

Tryska
08-31-2001, 07:32 AM
poor cubiclehead.....*lol*

a. welcome aboard.

b. you have a few options...you can get it from lots of leafy greeens, or you can supplement.....pretty much any grocery store, pharmacy or drugstore has some sort of calcium supp, from tasty little chewy things to antacids, to straight up tablets. there's also calcium fortified orange juice....but that comes with the price of fructose.

syntekz
08-31-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by SadCubicleHead
I often avoid cheese because of its high fat content.

Does this mean that you can eat cheese? Because there are lots of different cheeses. You can get low fat cheese.

Fat isn't your enemy either. You need a good amount of fat in your diet.

SadCubicleHead
08-31-2001, 11:57 AM
What about fat free, plain (non-falvored) soy milk?
Is this a good alternative for calcium?
Is it hard to find?

I eat cheese when itís automatically on something Ė like pizza. Iím not allergic to it.
I just donít think itís a good thing to eat a lot of. I get my doses of fats in other foods as well, so I donít want to OD on cheese.

Thanks.
Iím just sitting here staring at the three walls of my tiny cubicle.

Tryska
08-31-2001, 12:06 PM
well...you could use soy milk, but i think it's evil, so i'm not gonna recommend it.

you could always drink lact-aid milk. that's for you lactose introlerant types and it's at all the grocery stores.

and don't feel bad. i have a tiny cubicle too. with a pole in it.

SadCubicleHead
08-31-2001, 01:26 PM
well...you could use soy milk, but i think it's evil, so i'm not gonna recommend it.

Why do you consider it evil?

My boss wants me to do work next week Ė boo.

w8lifter
09-01-2001, 07:11 AM
Fat free, plain (non-falvored) soy milk is a good alternative if it says it's calcium fortified. Not all are. And yes, it's harder to find than the non-fortified or high fat stuff.

IceRgrrl
09-01-2001, 09:15 AM
Can you eat cottage cheese? That's a good calcium AND protein source and easily portable so you can eat at your desk ;)

If you buy a calcium supplement, read the label and choose one that used calcium carbonate NOT oyster shells as it's main ingredient. Apparently the oyster shells can be contaminated with some nasty stuff (lead, pollutants, etc.).

Tryska
09-01-2001, 10:30 AM
cubicle head....the osy isoflavones and phytoestrogens can wreak havoc on your hormonal systems. they can damage your thyroid....screw up test levels...cause birth defects in babies (as well as give them goiters if they are on soy formula), inhibit protein digestion, and one epidemeiological study in Hawaii showed that men who ate tofu as their primary protein source after hitting middle age showed a marked increase in alzheimers disease. it's evil.

get what calcium you can from dark green leafy vegetables, lact-aid, cheese, cottage cheese, and if you must...a calcium supplement.

beercan
09-01-2001, 04:58 PM
University studies indicate that one tablespoon of semen contains 5,000 milligrams of calcium

You should start drinking a tbs a day, weather it's your own, or somebody else's.

Tryska
09-01-2001, 04:59 PM
bahahaha. then he wouldn't have to worry about his test levels!

Spiderman
09-01-2001, 05:04 PM
mmmmmmmmm...... Broccli. :D

body
09-02-2001, 10:03 AM
beercan wrote "one tablespoon of semen contains 5,000 milligrams of calcium "

Everyone notice how beercan has really strong bones and joints.lol

to add seamen is good source of vitmain b-12 so any female vegans out there want a natural source of vitamin b-12. please pm me and i will help cure your precisuos aneamia.

In some countries white flour is supplemented with calcuim, also lots of breakfast cereals are as well.

littleman69
09-02-2001, 02:06 PM
seamen? s-e-m-e-n bro

YatesNightBlade
09-03-2001, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by littleman69
seamen? s-e-m-e-n bro

WTF :confused:

Podium Kreatin
09-03-2001, 09:37 PM
cubicle head....the osy isoflavones and phytoestrogens can wreak havoc on your hormonal systems. they can damage your thyroid....screw up test levels...cause birth defects in babies (as well as give them goiters if they are on soy formula), inhibit protein digestion, and one epidemeiological study in Hawaii showed that men who ate tofu as their primary protein source after hitting middle age showed a marked increase in alzheimers disease. it's evil.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tryska, r u serious on this stuff? where did u get this info? i think i read something like it, when they said tofu caused some mental problems, but IMO, that's very obscure. b4 we judge soy or tofu so harsh, there's some antithesis to that report:

alzheimer's, for ie, is genetic, and eating tofu as a primary source of protein is called malnutrition, whcih can cause other problems. In hawaii, where the pop is small, there is something called the founder effect which means that the ppl who migrated there, by chance, had similar genes, and a possibility is that alzheimer's ratio is more common there than in japan. asians generally have less chance of alzheimers than europeans, so basing the theory w/ results from hawaii isn't solid enough

goiters are caused by iron deficiency, or iron metabolism problems. it rarely is caused by some outside force

phytoestrogens are tissue and gender specific, and very few lab tests are done on males than females. the idea (hypothesis to be more correct) came from the fact that females regulated their estrogen w/ soy, whcih isn't solid fact that it'll do the same in males

soy shoudl be safe, but it isn't a good source of protein or calcium. the soy protein lacks sulfhydral bridges (of animal proteins) which is how our intestines recognize proteins, so soy isn't absorbed well. it doesn't cause inhibition of other proteins, it's just that soy itself isn't absorbed well

this is just my opinion, from what i've learned, so dont' sue me if u get alzheimers!
-----------------------------------------------
to go back on topic, yogurt is lactose digested, and i think it has a hi amt of calcium. cheese is good too, and low fat ones taste pretty good on sandwiches. if u can't get 100%DV, u might wanna talk to a dietician or nutritionalist (sp?) about this more, cuz calcium defiency can cause bone, muscle, or neural problems if it gets serious.

Tryska
09-04-2001, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Podium Kreatin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tryska, r u serious on this stuff? where did u get this info? i think i read something like it, when they said tofu caused some mental problems, but IMO, that's very obscure. b4 we judge soy or tofu so harsh, there's some antithesis to that report:

alzheimer's, for ie, is genetic, and eating tofu as a primary source of protein is called malnutrition, whcih can cause other problems. In hawaii, where the pop is small, there is something called the founder effect which means that the ppl who migrated there, by chance, had similar genes, and a possibility is that alzheimer's ratio is more common there than in japan. asians generally have less chance of alzheimers than europeans, so basing the theory w/ results from hawaii isn't solid enough

** this was an epidemiological study - meaning the popoulation, apart from being middle, agged and male, was not homogenuos.

goiters are caused by iron deficiency, or iron metabolism problems. it rarely is caused by some outside force

** A. there are several different types of goiters, ranging from nodules to tumors. B. Goiters can be caused by IODINE deficiency, and IODINE metabolism problems. Iron actually has nothing to do with it.

phytoestrogens are tissue and gender specific, and very few lab tests are done on males than females. the idea (hypothesis to be more correct) came from the fact that females regulated their estrogen w/ soy, whcih isn't solid fact that it'll do the same in males

** so estrogen is a good thing for men to get large doses of? (rhetorical question)

soy shoudl be safe, but it isn't a good source of protein or calcium. the soy protein lacks sulfhydral bridges (of animal proteins) which is how our intestines recognize proteins, so soy isn't absorbed well. it doesn't cause inhibition of other proteins, it's just that soy itself isn't absorbed well

** i'd argue, but check out this website (http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/) . It provides the studies, and back up for what i'm saying.

body
09-04-2001, 03:08 PM
goiter are caused by goitrons(henace there name) soya products are full of them.
soya contian loads of toxins, its just that most people do not eat enough to get harmful effects. but from nutrition lecture soya has about 9 different toxins in.
abit will do you no harm but i would not uggest you use it for a bulking diet.

Podium Kreatin
09-04-2001, 10:06 PM
website sources aren't exactly the most truthful type of info. college professors, for example, only accept .gov, or .org. this one isn't even .com. they do have some sources, but i have to look at them and see if they aren't fudging their theory. i also can't seem to get teh purpose of this site besides badmouth soy, liek how some sites talk smack about milk.

here are some important facts:

almost all plants have some natural defense mechanisms, most likely poisons. they exist in seeds (liek soy) b/c germinating seeds are generally not meant to be eaten, and fruits for animals that should attempt to eat them b/c they don't help them reproduce; for example, some wild berries contain a neurotoxin that can kill humans, but has no effect on birds. the site fudged the idea that all of the toxins mentioned are harmful to humans.

goiters are almost unheard of of healthy diet eating ppl in the US, altho americans eat a lot of soy products now. if they do occur, they occur in teh poorer, agrarian regions, where soy isn't even part of the diets. the ppl generally eat what their local farms offer, which isn't enough in some cases.
nutritional or other health problems can be expedient to goiters.
asians eat tons of soy, but goiters are usually present in the most poorest of places. and i doubt ppl ferment their soy nowadays. i've been to countryside china and they have packaged soy. if this theory was true, then even hi econ countries like japan and singapore would be talking about goiters

there's a faulty theory on soy and alzheimer's. saying "ppl of this place eat tons of soy have alzheimers" is like saying "ppl who have rich parents go to prestigious universities." it's an observation, but deductive reasoning methods shows that this is a faulty "if then" statement. population observations w/ no controls is not an accurate means of coming to a conclusion that "eat soy, get sick."

the iodine/iron thing was a typo. i'm responding off of my memory, sorry. u're right, it's iodine deficiency. i haven't taken a bio class for more than a yaer, so forgive me!

phytoestrogens are NOT estrogens. they are plant products similar to estrogen, and is GENDER SPECIFIC. it has an unknown affect on males, and in lab tests, they show very vague effects, no single hard conclusion
-------------------------
here are some other stuff that shows fudging of their theory

on the part about asians and soy, they have a fine print quote. they say ppl, vegetarians to be more sneaky at significantly more soy....
vegetarians aren't exactly the most heathy ppl since humans are facultative carnivores, not factultative omnivores as most ppl think. low animal diets can deprive ions that plants can't retain much ions(plants use water to hold their ions). ions like Ca and K are ions taht are also messengers that regulate iodine moledules liek IP3

another info they fudge in is that hi amts of soy is only unheathy for ppl who eat a lot of soy, more than asians. i dunno, but i don't know many americans who eat more soy than asians, even asian americans eat less soy than asians. if soembody bases a lot of their nutritional needs on soy, that wouldn't reflect teh avg american. this is similar to that lab report where they gave a bodyweight amt of protein to lab rats and they developed kidney problems; unrealistic, and inaccurate in relevance

teh soy formulas for babies i believe in some parts, b/c babies shoudl be fed mother's milk, not b/c of the poisons or toxins. i never heard of the notion that soy was better.
----------------------------------------
so what if soy has toxins and goiter causing agents? some milk haters sites consider soy as a good alt, and they say milk can cause gigantism and other heatlh problems! same for teh aspartame haters; a 300lb woman who drank diet pepsi all day died of aspartame! i remember reading those.
so what if i'm wrong,a dn soy can do bad things? ppl dont' talk about it in the news, and ill be surprised if i ever see headlines of "baby dies from magnesium poisoning from popular soy formula," "man blames impotence b/c of hi soy diet" or "vegetarian bodybuilder develops goiter from soy isolate." i don't mean to flame, but not all studies are relevant to the macrocosm.
on a more neutral position; i think soy's gonna jeapordize ur health as much as soda can hurt u by giving u empty cals

heathj
09-04-2001, 11:21 PM
Calcium tabs.

Tryska
09-05-2001, 05:16 AM
umm....asians don't actually eat tons of soy.

gino
09-05-2001, 06:23 AM
Maybe not tons, but many pounds.

Tryska
09-05-2001, 06:28 AM
not even pounds either, gino..*lol* it's a western misconception, but really most asians will eat whatever meat they can get their hands on before eating soy as a protein source.

okay..pounds spread over a billion+ people.

gino
09-05-2001, 06:31 AM
Now THAT would be tons...

Tryska
09-05-2001, 07:23 AM
*lol* yeah i guess.....

seriously though - the typical japanese diet has about 8 grams of soy per day. Also, the important thing to remember is that the soy they use has been fermented and tempered and breaks down a lot of the phytoestrogens and trypsin inhibitors and the like. There soy comes from miso paste, and shoyu and tamari -it's used to season....not freakin tofu hodogs and soy isolate.

Wizard
09-05-2001, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by heathj
Calcium tabs.
That's it.
Calcium tabs+Vit D

beercan
09-06-2001, 12:42 PM
haha, I forgot about this thread....

I made that up about the salt malt containing calcium..

LOL, I'm just wondering if the kid took me seriously and took a couple hot shots....hehe

gary
09-09-2001, 03:32 AM
If you are lactose intolerant: eat fatfree cottage cheese (with optional lactaid tablets if you are highly lactose intolerant)

If you are dairy intolerant: leafy veggies, broccoli, canned salmon with bones, calcium supplements.