PDA

View Full Version : OT: Any spanish/hispanic person please answer this question.

PHOENIX
10-08-2003, 02:25 PM
yeah while back i was in a spanish restaurant where they had fried banana with ice cream. Can you tell me how to make that at home? do i just fry the banana in little bit oil? or what?
thanks
this is so against my diet, but what the hell. u only live once.

IceRgrrl
10-08-2003, 02:30 PM
You're probably referring to fried plantains. Here's somerecipe links:

http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20000424.html

http://www.foodtv.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13300,00.html

pusher
10-08-2003, 02:32 PM
Did they have batter on them or just the banana, or was it plantain?

IceRgrrl
10-08-2003, 02:34 PM
It's probably plantains or "cooking bananas." You can get them in the grocery store right near the regular bananas. Some people may batter them before frying, most just fry them plain.

And just to address your thread title, I'm not Spanish or Hispanic, but I have had fried plantains made by Hispanic and Carribbean friends...and you're right, they ARE yummy! :)

harryhoudini66
10-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Most Hispanics have had them but I think they originated in Cuba? They are very good, but not good for you. Lots and lots of fat. We even use sweet milk on them sometimes.

EdgarMex
10-08-2003, 02:47 PM
I've never had those and I'm not familiar with them. I don't think they're a popular dish in Mexico, at least in the northern part of the country.

Dedicated
10-08-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66
Most Hispanics have had them but I think they originated in Cuba? They are very good, but not good for you. Lots and lots of fat. We even use sweet milk on them sometimes.
Yes I am from Cuba and I am eating those right now actually with some yucca, rice, chicken and a huge glass of milk lol. What a coincidence to be eating them and at the same time come upon this post rofl. Make sure you get the real ripe ones, they are sweeter. I hate the ones that aren't that ripe, they're crunchy and they suck.

Tryska
10-08-2003, 03:13 PM
hmmm.....i'm highly doubtful that this is actually a true Mexican/Spanish dessert, and more likley a concoction made ot please the customer baase. if you had said flan, then maybe. *lol*

now back to the banana - it may have been a plantain as ice said, but doubtful since that's mor eof a side-dish then a dessert item. plaintain look like banana but feel starchier and firmer. evne when they are really soft and sweet, they are a little more solid than banana....

if it's a true banana that was used was it battered or just fried?

if just fried, slap some butter in a pan, cut the bananas in half lengthwise, and saute off. you wanna make sure the pan is hot so that it caramelizes the outer layer of the banana.

if it was battered then fried, you could probably use a light batter like tempura, dip the banan in that, and then drop it into deep oil that has been heated to 375F.

Tryska
10-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Dedicated

I hate the ones that aren't that ripe, they're crunchy and they suck.

they're good with ketchup.

i used to get fried shrimp and fried green plaintains from my corner chinese when i was younger. put hot sauce ont he shrimp and ketchup on the plantains. yum.

donescobar2000
10-08-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by harryhoudini66

Depends how you cook them. Just spray them with Olive Oil Spray and put them too cook.

Dedicated
10-08-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Tryska

they're good with ketchup.

i used to get fried shrimp and fried green plaintains from my corner chinese when i was younger. put hot sauce ont he shrimp and ketchup on the plantains. yum.
Interesting never tried that, will try it next time I have them thanks.:)

harryhoudini66
10-08-2003, 07:41 PM
Edgar son plátanos con leche como los dan en la feria. Le ponen tres leches.

EdgarMex
10-08-2003, 07:45 PM
Sigo sin saber cuales son, aca no me ha tocado probarlos, posiblemente sean mas conocidos hacia el sur :)

PHOENIX
10-08-2003, 08:28 PM
ai papi, no habla espanol mucho...

PizDoff
10-08-2003, 09:54 PM
Don't make me break out my Cantonese!

harryhoudini66
10-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Bueno, mi mama los hace y es de Michoacán. También los hacen en las ferias pero son demasiado empalagosos. La ultima ves que los comí fue en la feria de Colima. Talvez los conoces como guineos con crema. Creo que es un platillo típico de Cuba. Hablando de otras cosas as probados fresas con crema de chantillí?

Break out your Cantonese. I will break out my Portuguese and raise you my so so Japanese.

Saint Patrick
10-22-2003, 11:00 PM
ix-nay on the anish-spay.

Tryska
10-23-2003, 07:52 AM
oh umm...actually my directions up top are a little bit misleading - to get them schewy and sweet on the inside, you need to have the pan hot enough to caramelize, but low enough to cook it slow - you don't want to flash fry, you want to sautee.

Bachovas
11-16-2003, 04:43 PM
Actually believe it or not, I think it's a japonese dish the hispanic part of it it's the added ice cream on top. Just deep fry a regular banana and put some ice cream and condensed milk. If it was crunchy they might have coat it in bread crums or corn flakes.
The dish is called "Banana Tempura".

linuxchix
11-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Just a technicality - "Spanish" and "Hispanic" are not the same. It's usually never a good idea to call a Spaniard "Hispanic," especially when you're in Spain. (I know people who learned the hard way. I also know Spaniards who were severely offended when placed under the "Hispanic" category while studying in the US)

Jilla82
12-21-2003, 11:26 PM
i always thought plantains were a Jamaican thing

Budiak
01-04-2004, 09:13 PM
God forbid that any non-hispanic know how to fry a ****ing banana.

You're all a bunch of filthy racists.

xraygirl
01-04-2004, 10:24 PM
The sweet (yellow) bananas are fried in butter, the green ones are fried in olive oil. I think bananas are a food group of their own in Puerto-Rico :D

Max-Mex
01-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Just a technicality - "Spanish" and "Hispanic" are not the same. It's usually never a good idea to call a Spaniard "Hispanic," especially when you're in Spain. (I know people who learned the hard way. I also know Spaniards who were severely offended when placed under the "Hispanic" category while studying in the US)

Yea the whole "hispanic" label is kinda silly. I know it's easier for business, government, or school to categorize under one label, but it really doesn't accurately represent the different races.

I like to screw with anyone who speaks spanish. They'll ask me where I'm from, and I say Texas. This always confuses they hell outta them. I know what they mean to ask, but it kind of bothers me that they assume just because my skin is brown and I speak spanish, I am from (insert spanish speaking country).

Edgar: Plantains (sp) are not found in the northern part of Mexico. Most of them, from what I remember, are found south of Mexico City. I have relatives who live near Vera Cruz and in Oaxaca City and I remember seeing there.

Max-Mex
01-07-2004, 11:10 AM
Edgar: Correction, I did see them up north. I was visiting my grandparents in Rio Bravo and there was a supermarket that had them there. Doubt they were grown there. Probably imported.

wleon
02-17-2004, 11:50 AM
Despues de leer todo esta pagina ahora me estoy muriendo por proba, A ver ustedes los Latinos que han comido/sus mamas ah hecho, etc. Avisen como es la receta ..... ::

After reading this page, I am dying to try it, You the Latinos that have eaten/your mom made them etc. Tell us the recepie

Washington