PDA

View Full Version : How many...

donescobar2000
10-17-2003, 01:40 PM
How many calories are typically burned during a 60 weight training session especially legs.

theomen
10-17-2003, 03:46 PM
60 minutes?

Depends on intensity, LBM etc... If you are lifting at 25% of you 1rm and taking 5 minute rest, not very much. But if you weigh about 180 w/ sub 10%bf and lift at your highest intesity, than about 500kcals

donescobar2000
10-17-2003, 03:48 PM
I see well i was only resting about 30 secs so can we say I burned 400 cals in 1 hr?

theomen
10-17-2003, 03:56 PM
rest a little longer, there have been studies on the replenish rate of Adenosine Triphosphate and it replenishes to about 90% in around 50 seconds.

I would say that you may have burned 250-400 kcal. Try google, they have calculators for all types of exercises that take into consideration height, weight and lbm.

bradley
10-17-2003, 04:12 PM
I would not really be concerned about the amount of calories burned during the actual training session, because this would not take into account other factors such as EPOC, increased metabolism, etc.

donescobar2000
10-17-2003, 04:20 PM
Considering that I am refeeding again, I should still eat over maintence, right? I am trying to factor in the calories I burned to get it just about right. Also what is EPOC?

bradley
10-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by donescobar2000
Considering that I am refeeding again, I should still eat over maintence, right? I am trying to factor in the calories I burned to get it just about right. Also what is EPOC?

When refeeding de novo lipogenesis is not going to be a significant contributor to fat gain, so just make sure and eat a large amount of carbs and keep fat to a minimum (with the exception being fish oil). Just go with a rough estimate of maintenance cals and make sure and eat above that amount, and don't worry about how many cals you burn over the course of the day.

Excess Post Exercise Oxygen Consumption (EPOC)

donescobar2000
10-17-2003, 04:40 PM
You did it again Bradley. Thanks!

TiGeR AK
10-17-2003, 09:40 PM
so it would be more acceptable to eat slightly over maintenance on workout days versus eating over maintenance on rest days.. right?

although it won't make much of a difference at all if you eat over maintenance here and there...

it would make LESS of a negative impact if you were to eat over maintenance on days you work out, correcT?

bradley
10-18-2003, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by TiGeR AK
so it would be more acceptable to eat slightly over maintenance on workout days versus eating over maintenance on rest days.. right?

It would depend on what your goals were, but if you were following a cyclic approach then yes. Donescobar's question was in reference to refeeds, which would require one to eat over maintenance.

although it won't make much of a difference at all if you eat over maintenance here and there...

It depends on how you have your diet set up. Cyclical diets can be very effective if you know how to time your macronutrient intake, but in general if you are just haphazardly eating over/under maintenance it will not make that much of a difference.

it would make LESS of a negative impact if you were to eat over maintenance on days you work out, correcT?

In general yes, but the above statement is a broad generalization.