PDA

View Full Version : Hit the ground running

flake
02-15-2004, 01:12 PM
Introduction

During one of those dumb highly motivating post gym conversations I've agreed with a buddy to, well basically, run up mt snowdon.

Its a race at the end of the summer, but thats about all I know at the moment.

So it means incorperating more cv work (because I suck) and a lot of hill running, but I still want to keep with my regular gym routine and if possible still put on some mass whilst training for this race.

drew
02-15-2004, 01:15 PM
You're going to have to eat a lot to keep your mass, but if you run the hills and run seriously, your squat numbers should increase ;)

Good luck, and check my reply in your other thread.

flake
02-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Diet

My diets going to be very important for the next 6 months, especially seeing as thats where I usually fail.

A regular day should hopefully look like this:

08:00 Breakfast 1: Pt Milk, Weatabix, Toast
09:00 Breakfast 2: Cooked breakfast (sausage, bacon, hash brown etc..)
11:00 Sandwiches, Fruit, Cereal Bar, Pistachio Nuts/Peanuts
13:00 Chicken, Rice, Fruit
14:00 Gym or Hill Running
15:00 Post Workout Shake
15:30 Protein Bar
16:30 Chicken, Pasta
18:30 Steak, Rice, Fruit
21:00 Chicken, Rice, Fruit
23:30 Chicken, Rice, Fruit
00:00 Sleep

I'm a student so my days are very varied, but I'm going to try and get a structure set. One trick I learnt from the dude I'm doing the race with is to wake up 1 hour before you have to be up, eat a breakfast of mainly carbs, then go back to sleep for an hour, get up and have your full breakfast. I'm going to see how it works for week or two.

Also there are 10 "feeds" scheduled into my day, if I can hit all of these I think I will be way on my way to achieving my goals.

flake
02-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Drew: Thanks for your help dude, as you can see from above I'm planning on getting in a lot of cals. Oh and I'm not just trying to maintain weight, I'm gonna gain some ;)

drew
02-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Excellent, good luck flake!

Saint Patrick
02-15-2004, 01:43 PM
:spam:

flake
03-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Infrequent postings a speciality...

Right, after a few weeks of adapting my self to the new training I'm starting this routine:

Day 1 - am: Flat Jog (3-5 miles)
Day 1 - pm: Gym - Shoulders / Tri's
Day 2 - am: Stretching Program
Day 2 - pm: Hill Sprints
Day 3 - am: Flat Jog (3-5 miles)
Day 3 - pm: Gym - Back
Day 4 - am: Stretching Program
Day 4 - pm: Hill Sprints
Day 5 - am: Flat Jog (3-5 miles)
Day 5 - pm: Gym - Chest / Bi's
Day 6 - am: Stretching Program
Day 6 - pm: Hill Sprints
Day 7 - am: Flat Jog (3-5 miles)
Day 7 - pm: Gym - Legs
Day 8 - am: Stretching Program
Day 8 - pm: Hill Sprints

<---- REPEAT

I havn't scheduled in any rest days as I've found that doing it that way doesn't work well for me, instead I'm going to take a rest day whenever I feel that I need it, probably between one and two a week.
I'll also modify it when I see fit, for example if after a heavy legs session the next day I really dont want to be doing sprints but dont want a day off then I'll do some flat running.

I'm currently writing up my dissertation then after that its working for my final exams, so hopefully I can get myself into a routine which will help with all aspects of my life.

flake
06-11-2004, 07:31 AM
I found that as the distances I was running were increasing the program I set out above just isn't pheasible, especially because of the strain the hill running was putting on the tendons around my ankles.

I've switched to a three day routine of:

Day 1: Running
Day 2: Gym
Day 3: Rest
Day 4: Repeat

With the exception of once every 2 weeks or so when I train legs, in which case I skip the running portion of the next cycle (both because I can't run after training legs, and it gives me an extra break every couple of weeks).

As far as the running goes I'm doing two shorter (6 mile) uphill runs which I'm trying to get down in time and one longer (12 mile) distance run per 3 runs. The plan is to slowely increase both of these every couple of weeks (I have another 4 months!) untill I'm running 12 miles uphill and 19 miles distance.