PDA

View Full Version : Fats

Exnor
04-23-2004, 03:09 AM
From experimenting I have found that I am probably alergic to nuts in some way. I have not thoroughly tested peanut butter but I feel I will react to this too.

I take a single 500mg EFA fish oil suppliment in the morning, and I cook in olive oil, but this alone is not sufficient enough to meet my fat quantity goals.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Buffster
04-23-2004, 04:13 AM
Flaxseed oil, fish and eggs

TheGimp
04-23-2004, 04:15 AM
I often have an avocado a day. Good source of monounsaturated fat. Flax oil has a great lipid profile even if it's not as good for EFAs as fish, although it wouldn't be very exciting chugging a few tablespoons of it.

Exnor
04-23-2004, 04:17 AM
Flaxseed oil, fish and eggs

I have some Flaxseed oil and have used it previously (taking one tablespoon in the morning), I stopped it in my experimentation of what i am allergic too. I might start having it again in the evenings.

As already mentioned, I take fish oil suppliments. I also eat about 2 cans of tuna a week.

I eat many eggs - up to two whole a day, with 4-6 egg whites, however, I never thought about this as a good fat source. I shall have to investigate.

Any other good sources of fat that have not been mentioned already?

Exnor
04-23-2004, 04:21 AM
I often have an avocado a day. Good source of monounsaturated fat. Flax oil has a great lipid profile even if it's not as good for EFAs as fish, although it wouldn't be very exciting chugging a few tablespoons of it.

I shall investigate avocados. I dispise the taste but it doesn't look there there is much of an alternative at this point.

geoffgarcia
04-23-2004, 08:18 AM
I take 20 1000mg caps per day
which is a whoppping 20g of fat total (I know this is more than most take)
2 tbsp of udos/flax = 28g
2 tbsp of olive = 28g
Total = 76g
76g alone is not enough fat IMHO but sometimes there is a bit in my food...although usually not to much...so a lot of times late night I'll suck up 1-2tbsp of hemp for an additional 14-28g

typical recommended dosage is 3g of EPA/DHA (combined amount), which usually equals 10g of fish oil per day, assuming the caps are 30% EPA/DHA (which most are)

Omega 6 and Omega 3 essential fatty acids are best consumed in a ratio of about 3:1 - three omega 6 for one omega 3.

Most Western diets range between 10 and 20 to 1 in favor of omega 6, which is not good for health. We eat too much omega 6 fat and not enough omega 3 fat.

Food Sources of Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids
Safflower oil - the richest natural source
Sunflower oil
Corn oil
Sesame oil
Hemp oil (best balance of omega 6:3)
Pumpkin oil
Soybean oil
Walnut oil
Wheatgerm oil
Evening Primrose oil

Food Sources of Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids
Flax oil (linseed oil) - the richest natural source
Flax seeds
Hemp oil (best balance of omega 6:3)
Rapeseed oil
Pumpkin seeds
Soybean oil (richer in omega 6)
Walnut oil (richer in omega 6)
Walnuts
Oily fish
http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-fat/omega-3-fat-efas.htm

Here is a little more info on the various fats
http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showpost.php?p=762312&postcount=26

Spartacus
04-23-2004, 11:27 AM
maybe just bump up the olive oil intake, either eating olives or olive oil on bread, salads, etc. also have you tried macadamia nut oil.?

TheGimp
04-23-2004, 11:45 AM
I shall investigate avocados. I dispise the taste but it doesn't look there there is much of an alternative at this point.

Yes I can imagine they are something of an acquired taste. You could try drenching them in some olive oil based dressing for additional fat and hopefully mask the flavour a bit :)

Another favourite of mine is humus, a dip which is a blend of chick peas, seasame seed paste and olive oil. I don't know if this would be acceptable for your allergy given the seasame seeds but it's another great source of monounsaturated fat. Personally I eat it with wholemeal pitta bread cut into strips but if you don't want the additional calories carrot, cucumber and celery sticks would be great.