PDA

View Full Version : Milkshake - Worth Doing?

MBTD77
05-18-2004, 10:05 AM
Im about to start trying to put on some serious weight. Right now Im 6ft and about 140lbs, and from what Ive read I just need to eat eat eat.

However for three weeks about a month ago I was doing a milkshake consisting of 2 1/2 pints of milk and three eggs - usually mixed with some kind of fruit concentrate - which Id blend and drink in one go, each day. I used full fat milk for a while but it was too disgusting and I found it easier with skimmed.

I stopped because I got lazy, but is it worth adding that shake each day to my eat eat eat schedule or is it pointless? Reason I ask is over three weeks, it didnt seem to do have an impact.

PS Im not working out yet, probably should do both right?

Cheers

nejar462
05-18-2004, 10:11 AM
Well, working out does help a lot. The thing is, making the milk shake does help, but its a relatively small change. You probably won't notice a difference for three weeks. Hell, even when you work out it'll take about a month to see a change. A half a year to see a large change. You have to do a lot of little things to see big changes, one of those little things being drinking the protein shake. It's best right after a workout BTW with a banana.

HahnB
05-18-2004, 10:13 AM
Milk shakes are an easy way to get extra calories when bulking. 3 weeks isn't a lot of time, but drinking that milk shake must be part of a diet that is high in calories all together. You need to be eating 20-25 calories per lb that you weigh. So yes, if you are doing that a milk shake is a great way to help you achieve weight gain.

I drink this one 2 times a day...

2 cups of milk 220 calories
2 cups of ice cream 230 calories
2 tbsps of peanut butter 200 calories
1 scoop of whey protein 130 calories

Almost 800 calories and lots of protein too. You can add more but it gets to be a lot to drink in one sitting.

TOBART
05-18-2004, 10:13 AM
From my own experience, I eat as much as I possibly can, whenever I can. If there is a time in the day I know I need to get some calories but my stomach is right full and wont take in a full meal, I have a protien drink.

Working out is a definate, you've gotta force your muscles to grow.

geoffgarcia
05-18-2004, 10:21 AM
add fat to your diet.
If your having a hard time putting on weight then make 100% sure that your getting in enough fat.
130-160g of fat per day should do the trick and get you in prime anabolic condition.

Dietary fat is GOOD for you, don't fall victim to the dietary fat=bodyfat misconceptions.

14g in a typical tablespoon, so thats about 10 tablespoons per day.
I'd hit
4 olive oil
2 flax
2 udos
2 hemp
20g from fish oil
and the rest from sat. fat

MBTD77
05-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanx for the info guys, its very helpful.

So at the rate of 25 calories per lb, I need an intake of about 3500 calories a day? How can I get that kind of volume, i.e. what sort of things should I aim to eat? I assume the shake gives me 800 of that so I need 2700 calories from food...

Also on a side note, is the WBB starter routine ideal when combined with this diet?

DoUgL@S
05-18-2004, 03:31 PM
WBB1 a very good routine. It has lots of compound movements and the volume is very managable. EAT!, EAT!, EAT! Just make sure you train with intensity, go to failure or as close to it as you can manage. Good luck.