PDA

View Full Version : Question about GPP & Such

KingJustin
07-03-2004, 10:47 AM
I am a big westside fan and I've read most of Tate's articles, but I'm a little confused as to what good GPP is referring to. There are a few things that I imagine you can improve, and I'm curious as to whether or not GPP workouts improve all of them or if there are other ways:

First, I know that Dave Tate makes fun of most bodybuilder once a week routines because they end up making your recovery levels crappy to where it takes a little more time to recover and so if you immediately switched to twice a week routines then you'd possibly overtrain after a couple of weeks. Is this just called recovery ability?

When I perform squats or power cleans for more than 5 or 6 reps I'm usually pretty much exhausted ... I suppose GPP improves this ... but does simple running do it as well?

Does any kind of training help you to work out hard for longer (usually people train for around an hour I suppose)? Also, is this ever beneficial for building muscle?

Lastly, what about being able to train all 7 days, sometimes twice a day (and what is this called)?

Anthony
07-03-2004, 01:29 PM
There are 3 main benefits of GPP: muscular endurance, work capacity, and active recovery. Just about any activity can be considered GPP - provided it works you hard enough that you are breathing heavy, but not so hard that your CNS gets hit to any great degree. Jumping jacks, shoveling, mowing the lawn, piling sandbags, playing ball, etc.