PDA

View Full Version : Training for max strength, min size

jazer80
11-02-2004, 10:23 AM
well, i'm weighing in at around 158/9, which is pretty much as as big as i've ever been; i don't believe i've ever broken the 160 lb line. Anyways, it's the beginning of wrestling season, and unfortunately i just happened to have recently found/corrected the problem(s) in my training, and have gained about 3 pounds in the past month and a half-ish. This is all well and good, except i don't want to keep getting heavier, during the season anyways, which just began a couple weeks ago. so, i'm not really familiar w/ how to train for maximum strength and minimal size except to go lower reps, and was hoping that someone could clue me in on the basics of sets/reps/exercises/diet.

(currently i am working out either once or twice a week, and am eating damn near immaculately. I am getting tons of calories, and from nutritious whole foods, some protein powder, and weight gainer on days that i work out. my routine is currently a whole body workout if i go once that week, or upper/lower half splits if i go twice. my exercises are squats, deadlifts, bent over barbell rows, shrugs, pullups, and weighted dips. oh and calf raises. also 2 days wrestling per week, and one or two days of jogging or boxing, for 20 minutes on either. reps are kept beneath 10, most are under eight. Doing this routine, compared to 5 day split, has made me get bigger/stronger quicker, and feel more energetic. i think i may have been overtraining before.)

Darracq
11-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Keep the reps in the 1-3 range.

ryuage
11-02-2004, 11:23 AM
:withstupi

if strength is your only goal...

Adam
11-02-2004, 12:24 PM
make sure your not eating enough to gain weight, if you gain more next weeek drop your cals a bit.

rpffly
11-02-2004, 12:45 PM
This is something I've been thinking about recently as well jazer as I have always pursued strength instead of size.

What about the training part. How long can you work in the 1-3 rep with that high of intensity before you start to plateau as you would be working close to, if not failure? Obviously strength gains are not always linear so what are things you should do to break the plateau without having to put on a substantial amount of bodyweight, ala what Adam mentioned? Incorporate speed work, change exercises (floor press, box squats), back off on the weight for a short time? It seems that some elements of westside would be in order.

Adam
11-02-2004, 12:54 PM
westside is a great routine if your trying to stay the same weight or lose weight. You'll probly have to adjust your volume annd cals but huge strength gains can still be accomplished.

Darracq
11-02-2004, 07:12 PM
I have been doing the 1-3 reps range, for about 6 months and am still gaining, Its all about changing things up. I eat all i can and have only gained 5 pounds in that time. But i have always had a hard time gaining. I keep the volume pretty low also.

jazer80
11-02-2004, 08:12 PM
can anyone hook up links to westside?

Adam
11-03-2004, 03:15 AM
look at my sig

Brad Cardoza
11-07-2004, 12:11 PM
I agree, definitely westside just watch the calorie intake.

SW
11-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Working sets at 65% of 1rm with about 2 sets. Never made me much bigger but strength gains were nice. This was right after the 4-5 reps range of 80% of 1rm. So shock was nice and that's what you want when changing routines, so your body reacts better to it.

jazer80
11-08-2004, 12:59 PM
cul i've been doing real low reps, and def gonna stick w/ that for strength (that is because real low reps / high weight work type II fibers right?).

Anyways, i just got back from the gym, and don't know what to take. i know i have to cut my daily caloric intake back to maintain/lose a little weight, but how do i do post workout supplementation? normally i'll have a bunch of carbs and protein. should i keep the protein and drop some/all of the carbs so i don't store it and gain weight, or should i supplement heavy after a workout to make the most of the strength gains?

jazer80
11-13-2004, 05:09 PM
:hump:

Beast
11-13-2004, 06:08 PM
Low reps = more strength

jazer80
11-13-2004, 08:16 PM
haha thanks i know, but what do i supplement w/ afterwards? will cutting the carbs out of my postworkout shake hurt my strength gains, or just prevent size (while preserving strength)?

jazer80
11-13-2004, 08:18 PM
because i'm doing low reps right now, but when i get home i instinctively go for heavy carbs and heavy protein. that's what i do because i usually go for size and strength. now i'm wrestling, so i wanna maintain/lose weight, so i think i should cut out the carbs, cuz i thought they were to get 'bigger', but i'm afraid that cutting them won't let me reap the strength gains from my training.

chris mason
11-14-2004, 06:15 AM
Perform sets of heavy singles and doubles without going to failure. Make sure to keep the volume relatively low as well (2-4 sets). If you do not consume an excess of calories and train in this manner you should increase strength without adding much in the way of size. ****The calorie control is very important!

jazer80
11-14-2004, 04:22 PM
so for after workout shake i would want to consume what?

chris mason
11-14-2004, 06:38 PM
I would suggest a protein only powder (our's of course :) ) in order to limit overall caloric intake.

SW
11-14-2004, 07:29 PM
^^ How would that limit calorie intake?

jazer80
11-14-2004, 07:58 PM
it would limit it compared to what i was taking before (weight gainer + protein)