PDA

View Full Version : HIIT during UD2???

Pringlewheels
11-06-2004, 04:18 AM
Im about to start this diet on monday

But would like to fit in some 30 minute HIIT, comprising of 30 intervals, alternating between 20kph and 10 kph

I just want to keep my cardio fitness up during the 6/8 weeks of UD2, but would the running (as i assume it effects glycogen somehow) mess around with the mechanics of UD2???

pruneman
11-06-2004, 05:50 AM
HIIT would be extremely hard to do in a glycogen depleted state, as it is fueled almost exclusively by muscle glycogen. I don't know all the details of UD2, but I would think that you would run a greater risk of overtraining if you did HIIT while on such an extreme diet. HIIT is very intense and I'm not sure tha you will be able to adequately recover while on the UD2. I think you would have better results using something a little less intense.

ryuage
11-06-2004, 06:06 AM
traditional hiit as lyle state would probably lead to localized overtraining of the legs as you are already hitting them 4x a week, if you want to when it comes down to the nitty gritty you might want to look into alpha mediated cardio on his forums.

Vido
11-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Alpha mediated cardio eh, I've never heard of that, sounds interesting. I'll take a look at that later.

As for the original post, aside from potentially overtraining the legs like ryuage pointed out, I don't really see a problem with it. Like Pruneman said, it might be difficult to do, but it certainly isn't impossible.

Shao-LiN
11-06-2004, 11:37 AM
If you want to do HIIT while on UD2, then you would need to lower the volume of leg training you do on depletion days. It is pretty glycogen depleting, so some people actually replace the volume of leg workout during depletion days with HIIT. It is an option.

Pringlewheels
11-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Cool

I think ill go totally by the book for the first week or two, then start fiddling with it. I like the HIIT replacing leg work-out thing

ryuage
11-06-2004, 02:20 PM
he didnt say replace the leg workout, he said replace the volume of it.

Vido
11-06-2004, 02:30 PM
I looked at that alpha mediated cardio and, although it looks like it could be quite effective, I don't really see how it would be any better for leg recovery. Now granted the original poster wanted to do 30 minutes of HIIT which is insane. I know Aka23 does something like this, but he's a machine. I think most people are generally doing 5-10 minutes of HIIT, which would actually be LESS taxing on your legs than the alpha mediated cardio.

Scott S
11-06-2004, 02:31 PM
Didn't you ask this on br.com already?

HIIT = no for ud2.0

Great for a carb-based diet.