PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with canned turkey/chicken flakes?

Geeper
11-08-2004, 06:02 AM
What's wrong with canned turkey or chicken flakes? I don't ever see them menioned in people's diets and I'm just wondering.

Looking at the can it's like 220 cals for a full can, 32 g of Protein, 9 fat g and 0 carbs. Just open and eat. It's fast and it's cheap too, about the same cost as a protein shake or half the cost of a protien bar and it's real food which I would think would be better for your system than powder all day.

The sodium is a little high, but for a quick meal or snack I don't think it's that bad. It's a hell of a lot better than a subway sub for example and it's so cheap...

Thoughts.... :(

galileo
11-08-2004, 06:30 AM
Sounds fine to me. Not every country has canned turkey flakes, so perhaps that's why you've not seen it. Watch for sodium.

mattburns
11-08-2004, 06:50 AM
canned chicken and turkey? ive never heard of it in my life, or seen it in shops in england, doesnt sound too bad though.

Geeper
11-08-2004, 07:48 AM
It's the same as canned tuna, but it's already cooked I guess cause it's meant to be taken out mixed with mayo and put ina sandwich, but I just eat it right out of the can.

Here's a quick profile of 1 can drained (I perfer Maple Leaf flakes of turkey here in Canada)

Cal 203
Total Fat 8.57g
Carbs 0
Protien 29.6
Cholesterol 82mg
Sodium 580mg
B-6 21%
Zinc 20%

(From Fitday.com)

Compared to canned tuna on fitday the sodium is only 100mg more, and to me (I HATE fish) it tastes 1000000 times better.

MUMMMMM tender turkey flakes, gonna have a can right now!

galileo
11-08-2004, 09:39 AM
We have canned chicken and salmon in the US, but I've not seen turkey. Feel blessed. ;)

Vido
11-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Compared to real chicken or turkey, it's absolutely disgusting. Also, anything in a can is going to have a lot of sodium, so you're best to rinse it out.

Geeper
11-08-2004, 12:25 PM
Compared to real chicken or turkey, it's absolutely disgusting. Also, anything in a can is going to have a lot of sodium, so you're best to rinse it out.

Do you really find the Maple Leaf stuff that bad? I know most of it is horrible but I like the Maple Leaf stuff, and compared to down a can of tuna it's awesome.

Vido
11-08-2004, 01:24 PM
In comparison to real chicken, which is delicious, then yes I find it that bad. It tastes fine though, there's very few things that taste bad enough for me not to eat if the nutritional benefits are there.

Geeper
11-08-2004, 05:14 PM
bump for the night crowd

moklepaul
11-08-2004, 06:41 PM
I've had both, and I disliked both.

manowar669
11-08-2004, 06:48 PM
Hormel makes both canned turkey and chicken in the US. I think it's pretty bad. Too salty for me. It's ok if rinsed in water (I do the same with canned beans.). It may have added stabilizers, triglycerides, preservatives (nitrates/nitrites) like lunchmeat, so it's probably best to use it sparingly.