PDA

View Full Version : Weightlifting / powerlifting shoes??

EHSathlete
03-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Hey I was wondering what brands and where I can buy them in powerlifting shoes. I already checked out Inzer, but I haven't heard anything good about them (nothing bad either). I've also looked at Adidas. I want to get a decent pair for fairly cheap, and I know these shoes are fairly expensive. My hiking boots that I use aren't working for me anymore because I keep rolling back on my heels on squats and deadlifting is uncomforatable.

Know any places where I can find shoes?

Thanx

Ebu
03-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Some good ol' chuck taylors.

tholian8
03-20-2005, 02:47 AM
I lift in Chucks, also.

neartaigh
03-20-2005, 05:52 AM
:withstupi

Chuck`s kick ass.

ryuage
03-20-2005, 06:02 AM
im with stupis

johnnytang24
03-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Depends on whether you're a quad or hamstring squatter. If you are going to be doing powerlifting squats, go with chucks (or I use wrestling shoes). If you're going to be doing Oly squats and Oly lifts, maybe get a pair of oly shoes.

Thanks.

JustinASU
03-20-2005, 10:47 AM
eerrr uhhh...I use regular new balance tennis shoes. Or sometimes I just go barefoot.

Sensei
03-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I used to lift in Chucks, but I bought a pair of Adidas OL shoes and I would never go back. Now, when I squat in anything over 315 in a regular shoe, I feel like I'm standing on a wrestling mat.

I love WS, but I disagree w. their stance on shoes. I squat wide and I'm not a "quad-squatter". I would recommend Safe USA's shoe or Rickey Dale Crain's shoe for PL - they have ankle support (the Adidas are great too, but no ankle support).

The Celt
03-21-2005, 12:07 AM
I wear my old Asics wrestling shoes from HS. That's all "weightlifting" shoes are anyway... just twice the price.

Sensei
03-21-2005, 02:16 AM
NO. Weightlifting shoes are NOTHING like wrestling shoes.

ElPietro
03-21-2005, 07:15 AM
There is a difference between what is ideal for squatting and ideal for deadlifting. That's why there is such a thing as "squat shoes." They will have more heal support, while something ideal for deadlifts is simply going to be flat bottomed. I use chuck taylors, but wrestling shoes might be slightly better, only in that they virtually have no sole to them, so you are pretty much as low to the ground as you can be without going barefoot. Barefoot of course wouldn't be legal in most federations, if not all, so you have to wear something.

I've seen a lot of guys wear work boots as well, but some federations have ruled these out as well.

EHSathlete
03-21-2005, 09:26 AM
There is a difference between what is ideal for squatting and ideal for deadlifting. That's why there is such a thing as "squat shoes." They will have more heal support, while something ideal for deadlifts is simply going to be flat bottomed. I use chuck taylors, but wrestling shoes might be slightly better, only in that they virtually have no sole to them, so you are pretty much as low to the ground as you can be without going barefoot. Barefoot of course wouldn't be legal in most federations, if not all, so you have to wear something.

I've seen a lot of guys wear work boots as well, but some federations have ruled these out as well.

yeah, i was supposed to do to a weightlifting meet, and i was told by my coach that the boots i wanted to use wouldn't be allowed. It doesn't matter anymore anyway because i broke my arm yesterday, so i can't clean, DL, or bench obviously. I probably won't even be able to squat.

AKraut
03-21-2005, 10:15 AM
A couple people mentioned running shoes or cross-trainers, which are terrible in my experience. Running shoes have that narrow sole and arch support, which really screws up my balance. I've found basketball shoes to be the best, good ankle support, and generally a very flat bottom with a lot of grip. Right now I'm lifting in Jordans and they're superb for DL and Squats.

EdgarMex
03-21-2005, 11:51 AM
I've been using a pair of Reebok indoor soccer shoes for 2 or 3 months and I'm very happy with the way they feel

Adam
03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
I wear my old Asics wrestling shoes from HS. That's all "weightlifting" shoes are anyway... just twice the price.

:withstupi