PDA

View Full Version : Eating complex carbs all day long...

Collegekid
04-05-2005, 01:39 PM
The hardest part about eating more is that taking in complex carbs at each meal makes me so full all day.

I typically eat 7 times a day, including my PWO shake and a cottage cheese/PB snack before bed.

So that leaves 5 meals each day when I'm including complex carbs. It typically looks something like this:

Breakfast: oatmeal, egg whites, milk and PB
Snack: Tuna sandwich on Ezekiel bread
Lunch: oatmeal, chicken, milk and PB
pre-workout: whey shake with banana and oats
pwo: whey, gatorade
PPWO: oatmeal, chicken, milk and PB
small, mid-evening meal: oatmeal and egg whites, nuts or PB
before bed: cottage cheese and PB

Am i taking in too many complex carbs? I mean, it feels like there's no way I need this many, but I need the cals, and i'm limiting my protein to 200g a day (i only weigh 130 lbs), and with fats already making up 20% of my cals the only thing to supplement the cals is carbs. And complex carbs are better than sugar obviously.

The hardest meal to take in is the mid-evening meal. It usually comes about 9pm. I need like 300-350 cals at this time, and since I've been eating protein all day, i don't need more than like 20-30g at this time. Add that to about 10g of fat and that's only 200 cals. So I need another 150 cals from carbs. I feel so sluggish eating a bowl of oatmeal at 9pm, but what's a better option?

Built
04-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Why so low in the fats? Mine are typically 35-50% of my cals.

???

Collegekid
04-05-2005, 01:46 PM
I guess that's the obvious solution, but I've always thought that somewhere around a 50/30/20 ratio of c/p/f was best for bulking. Plus, don't fats make you feel full too?

Built
04-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Fats can lead to satiety, but there's no magical bulking ratios.

Centre your meals around your protein.

Carbs as required for lifting.

Fats become a caloric ballast.

Besides, if you limit your fats, you limit your growth.

Personally, I keep the same diet, bulking or cutting. I just vary the calories.

Collegekid
04-05-2005, 01:50 PM
As far as the "carbs as needed for lifting," I see what your saying about timing carbs for pre- and post-workout, but how far does it go?

I mean, if I'm lifting in the evening, it's still fine to have oatmeal for breakfast obviously.....right?

Built
04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
I don't, but you can if you wish.

Lots of people do.

I like protein and fat for my first 3 meals, then carbs and protein for the one before and the two following my lifting (I train in the evening, too).

No starchy or sweet carbs on non-training days - protein, fat, veggies, fruit, and that's it for me.

But that's me.

It's not the only way to do it.