PDA

View Full Version : No Reverse Hyper machine?

Miguel Zambia
07-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Hello,

I registered finally because I would like your knowledgeable suggestions about what I can do about my gym's situation, in that there's no Reverse Hyper machines.

I finally renewed my fire for working out consistently several months ago, and for the first time "tried" to do Reverse Hypers, but by fashioning my own rope strap that I put some plates on, hook on my ankles, and use the regular Back Hyper bench, to do Reverse Hypers.

But the Back Hyper bench is just too low, so I can't lower my feet all the way, so my legs never get perpendicular to my torso; effectively, I'm only doing maybe the upper two-thirds of a full Reverse Hyper.

Is there any special device on the market (short of $800 Rev. Hyper bench that I'd need also to pay lots & lots of shipping cost to mail to Alaska) or some technique I can get or use so that I can do a full Reverse Hyper?

Thanks.

Paul Stagg
07-19-2005, 11:30 AM
You don't need to do reverse hypers. regular hypers, pull thrus, ghr, will all do you fine.

debussy
07-19-2005, 11:38 AM
hey man a reverse hyper is very easy to build. if you have a power rack, set your pins high enough... slap a couple of 2x4s and some plywood on top of the pins. then get some some pipe and a t joint... slip that into the safety pin and youll have a reverse hyper. if no power rack... you can easily build one out of wood.

Sensei
07-19-2005, 07:41 PM
You really don't need one, but I have done this and it works all right:

1)place a decent sized stability ball on a higher bench
2)position yourself over the ball (arms reaching down to hold onto the bench)
3)use dipping belt or bands for added resistance

It's less stable than a proper reverse hyper bench, but it works well and is a pretty comfortable movement.

PhilsterT
07-20-2005, 12:27 AM
What's a reverse hyper or normal hyper?

Miguel Zambia
07-20-2005, 05:06 AM
Thanks for your responses.

I really like doing Reverse Hypers; I've been doing 2 sets right after 2 higher-rep sets of regular Back Hypers. Up until a couple weeks ago, the blood engorged pump in my low back has been intense -- almost feels as uncomfortable as a near slipped disk, but not quite...But I think my body's getting used to it, so the pump isn't as intense now.

A Back Hyper is where your feet are held steady, and you bend over the end of a bench, towards the floor, (with a weight in your hands), and pull your torso back up -- sort of a backwards sit-up.

A Reverse Hyper is where you have your feet & legs off the end of the bench, lower them to the floor (with a weight strapped to your ankles), and pull your legs back up -- sort of a backwards leg lift.

Louie Simmons of Westside invented the Reverse Hyper back in the '70s after he had serious career-ending lowback injuries. It worked. He has far exceeded his previous lifetime P.R.'s in deadlift, squat, etc. -- all at an age most guys retire from lifting anything heavier than a remote or a beer can.

Anyway, thanks for the tip about the medicine ball. That might just work.

As for the boards across the power rack -- I'll look into that, too.

Miguel Zambia
07-29-2005, 10:24 AM
I figured out a way to use the gym's Back Hyper bench & a pulley weight stack to perform full-range Reverse Hypers.

But now my problem is, the max weight on this machine is just 120 pounds (which is okay for me now, but I believe I'll outgrow this soon).

So can anyone tell me any neat, easy tricks for adding weight to machine stacks?

Thank you.