PDA

View Full Version : Carbs before bed and soft drink questions

Vsire
08-01-2005, 11:16 PM
I get about 8-10 hours of sleep every night, and I know it's important to consume some sorta slow released protein before bed, esp. for someone who doesn't wake up in the middle of the night for a quick protein shake.

My question is, should I add in some complex carbs like oatmeal in my protein shake before I sleep? Right now my last meal of the day consist of 1.5 scoops of Pro-Complex (a great source of mix blend protein), skim milk (slow protein) and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (to slow down the process). I was wondering by adding a small serving of oatmeal to the formula will it help make the protein release even slower? Or will it cause any negative effect cause many ppl don't take carbs before bed.

Another question is that the best time of the day to consume simple sugars (along with protein of course) is during post workout due to the insulin spike, right? So does that mean that it's ok to consume soft drinks as long as it is immediately after a workout? Cuz soft drinks consist of alot of sugars, and hardly any fat. So is that a safe thing to do?

dissipate
08-02-2005, 08:53 AM
what you want is caesin before bed... and probably some fat which you already have (i hope it's natty). i don't think oatmeal affects protein release much, but eating it before bed won't make you fat unless you've exceeded your maintenance cals.

i don't think any of us would recommend a soft drink PWO. check out the link to the pre and post-WO thread under the 'best of nutrition' sticky.

CarlP
08-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I don't think any time is good for a soft drink.

YungLifter
08-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Yea soft drink might have sugar but it comes from corn syrup and stuff like that which isn't good.

RamRom
08-02-2005, 01:27 PM
i like cottage cheese before bed